2023 MN High School Football season

We are in the Centennial district and they sent home fliers about the game with our elementary age kids. I'm not into HS football, but my son loves all things football so I looked into it, and I was rather surprised at the cost. Likewise that it's not free to stream. I get that there are costs associated with the event, so maybe I'm being naïve. I know this has nothing to do with them, but my first response at seeing the cost of the game was "man, it would be good PR for the Vikes to cover the expenses and make the event free". Considering they're reaping most of the benefits of the state-owned stadium, it seems like a small gesture that would be really good PR.
Since the semi finals are all televised for basketball, and all winners bracket games for hockey are free to watch, you would think they could make the semi finals of football too. However, those are one weekend tournaments and one site tournaments. This would be 5 days over two weekends of TV costs and venue costs.

$8-10 to go to most varsity games at schools. 50% increase for state seems legit IMO.

Since the semi finals are all televised for basketball, and all winners bracket games for hockey are free to watch, you would think they could make the semi finals of football too. However, those are one weekend tournaments and one site tournaments. This would be 5 days over two weekends of TV costs and venue costs.

$8-10 to go to most varsity games at schools. 50% increase for state seems legit IMO.

For me, what stings is the change in policy. back when NSPN was Prep Spotlight TV, they used to show the State Quarter-finals and Semi-finals for free. Then they changed their operation and everything went behind the paywall. Now, they have the MSHSL shilling for them.

as I noted a while back, in Iowa, the State Athletic association is involved in a court case with a media partner - because the media partner wants to charge people to watch a stream of the state FB playoffs, while the Athletic association believes that the stream should be offered to the public for free. that's IA - but here in MN, the High School League is happy to tell fans - "want to watch the game - go to this outside company and pay up."

Thanks Ope3. I was going by the Ticketmaster screenshot of parking.
I would imagine the ramp that is connected directly to the dome is still trying to get $30 for the prep games. I am guessing that is what is linked in with TM.

I would imagine the ramp that is connected directly to the dome is still trying to get $30 for the prep games. I am guessing that is what is linked in with TM.
It was $10 today. Assuming you are talking about the ramp at 425 Park Street.

For me, what stings is the change in policy. back when NSPN was Prep Spotlight TV, they used to show the State Quarter-finals and Semi-finals for free. Then they changed their operation and everything went behind the paywall. Now, they have the MSHSL shilling for them.

as I noted a while back, in Iowa, the State Athletic association is involved in a court case with a media partner - because the media partner wants to charge people to watch a stream of the state FB playoffs, while the Athletic association believes that the stream should be offered to the public for free. that's IA - but here in MN, the High School League is happy to tell fans - "want to watch the game - go to this outside company and pay up."
And the member schools say thank you for No membership fees this year. 5 tournaments pay for 26 tournaments I believe. Most do not make money.

Great crowds today and the games stayed on schedule after a long first game. I’m going back tomorrow with the family.

MSHSL FB Semi-Final Results from Thursday, Nov 16

9-pl:
Kingsland 36, Fertile-Beltrami 28
Nevis 35, Ottertail Central 0

4A:
Rocori 7, Byron 0

6A:
Centennial 20, Lakeville South 13

------- -------
Schedule for Friday, Nov 17

2A:
Jackson County Central vs Barnesville - 9am
Cannon Falls vs Eden Valley-Watkins - 11:30am

4A: Hutchinson vs North Branch - 4:30pm

5A: St. Thomas Academy vs Alexandria - 2pm

6A: Eden Prairie vs Edina - 7:30pm

Take that, Lakeville!

Why are you calling it 9-pl?

Don’t tell me we’re not allowed to say 9man anymore …..

Didn't get to see the game but not shocked Centennial took down South. Having seen both teams up close this year that Centennial team is big and impressive. Their RB is a load and the QB does a good job running the offense.

Edina/EP should be a interesting. Don't really care who wins but wouldn't mind seeing Edina take EP down.

The solution is for kids to leave private schools for public schools, like in outstate MN?

In South Dakota, Public Television broadcasts state high school athletics and fine arts competition. Imagine that - public broadcasting providing a public service. Perhaps TPT could learn a lesson.

Didn't get to see the game but not shocked Centennial took down South. Having seen both teams up close this year that Centennial team is big and impressive. Their RB is a load and the QB does a good job running the offense.

Edina/EP should be a interesting. Don't really care who wins but wouldn't mind seeing Edina take EP down.
Centennial really should have won by quite a bit more. They missed a FG, got stopped on 4th and then were stopped on the last play of the 1st half with a sack and no timeouts to stop the clock inside the 5. The RB for centennial was stopped for the most part but the team is so talented. The QB is very accurate, and they hit on 2-3 big pass plays including the game winning touchdown. Outside the to two touchdown plays that South had, they didn't do much.

I don't disagree. I'm just not well versed in HS football, so it just took me by surprise. Considering I can watch the hockey tourney on TV for free, it seemed a bit shady. Nevertheless; my 8 year old said he wanted to watch at home and go if they made the final, so we paid for the stream and watched Centennial beat down (physically, if not reflected in the score) LVS!

Awesome season for Edina, but they won't be able to keep it close tonight.

In South Dakota, Public Television broadcasts state high school athletics and fine arts competition. Imagine that - public broadcasting providing a public service. Perhaps TPT could learn a lesson.
I’m sure TPT would love to broadcast but they didn’t win the bid.
That’s more on the MSHSL and the legislature than it is on tpt

Awesome season for Edina, but they won't be able to keep it close tonight.
Last time EP just kind of ran them over
Edina’s offense is better than last time.
If Edina has a chance they’re going to need to get into the 20s

Last time EP just kind of ran them over
Edina’s offense is better than last time.
If Edina has a chance they’re going to need to get into the 20s
I agree, having seen them both up close, Edina plays well together but the O and D lines of EP are overall much more physical. Edina's makeup is not ideal to be effective against a team like EP. They will have to pass the ball downfield to score. First down will be huge. Edina can't get behind the chains. The question is: can they pass protect enough to give the young QB time? We'll see, but I'm guessing not.

As a Centennial alum living in Illinois, I had no idea that the team played so well this year! Anyone know if there is a stream for the championship game out of market?

Yup. It took Centennial about a quarter to get their feet under them, and they were lucky they were only down 7-0. Shanking away the last possession before half was not good (1st and goal from the 5 with ~12 seconds left and a timeout and went away with nothing).

Still, they found a way to get it done. EP will be another matter entirely.
Centennial really should have won by quite a bit more. They missed a FG, got stopped on 4th and then were stopped on the last play of the 1st half with a sack and no timeouts to stop the clock inside the 5. The RB for centennial was stopped for the most part but the team is so talented. The QB is very accurate, and they hit on 2-3 big pass plays including the game winning touchdown. Outside the to two touchdown plays that South had, they didn't do much.

I was going to say: MSHSL doesn’t give a rip about getting it out to the most people, they want the most money.

Not looking good for JCC. QB Roman Voss was taken off the field on a stretcher after the first play of the 2nd half. no idea how serious. Twitter reports he gave a "thumbs up" before he was taken off the field. since then, JCC has lost fumbles on 3 consecutive possessions and Barnesville now leads JCC 22-15 with about 4:00 left in 3rd quarter.

update - Barnesville scores TD with 2-pt conversion to go up 30-15. on its next possession, JCC throws an interception for its 4th turnover. Barnesville is driving and JCC gets an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the bench. going from bad to worse. under 5:00 to play in game.

Last edited:

I agree, having seen them both up close, Edina plays well together but the O and D lines of EP are overall much more physical. Edina's makeup is not ideal to be effective against a team like EP. They will have to pass the ball downfield to score. First down will be huge. Edina can't get behind the chains. The question is: can they pass protect enough to give the young QB time? We'll see, but I'm guessing not.
The only chance Edina has tonight is to attack EP's edges. Bubble screens, Options, particularly to the short side. Jet sweeps. Passes in the flat to a RB after the WR clears put the DB. I don't believe they can run between the tackles as EP's defensive front is massive; #9 is one DE 6'7"/250, the other is #94, 6'5"/260, a Gopher commit. Both DT's go 6'5"/270+. On defense Edina must find a away to counter EP's massive line as they like to run tackle to tackle with at least five RB's. #33 goes 220+ and is a tough RB, #4 on counter plays and #22 who is used on Eagles sets. EP plays power football at the point of attack. Tough to stop.

The only chance Edina has tonight is to attack EP's edges. Bubble screens, Options, particularly to the short side. Jet sweeps. Passes in the flat to a RB after the WR clears put the DB. I don't believe they can run between the tackles as EP's defensive front is massive; #9 is one DE 6'7"/250, the other is #94, 6'5"/260, a Gopher commit. Both DT's go 6'5"/270+. On defense Edina must find a away to counter EP's massive line as they like to run tackle to tackle with at least five RB's. #33 goes 220+ and is a tough RB, #4 on counter plays and #22 who is used on Eagles sets. EP plays power football at the point of attack. Tough to stop.
Having been to most EP games, I agree that the edges is where EP is vulnerable on D. Shakopee was able to have some success running, and there's been moments of passing as well (Prior Lake).

2nd half is where EP just puts teams to bed. Those 2-3-4 yard runs in the 1st half are now 7-8+ yard runs. When EP is good, and this year's team fits it perfectly, they want to get their opponents to submit & not want to play anymore....and they're really good at it. Can Edina get EP to 3rd & long & make them pass when they don't want to pass. If so, they have a chance. If not, it will be a slow, painful death.

Not looking good for JCC. QB Roman Voss was taken off the field on a stretcher after the first play of the 2nd half. no idea how serious. Twitter reports he gave a "thumbs up" before he was taken off the field. since then, JCC has lost fumbles on 3 consecutive possessions and Barnesville now leads JCC 22-15 with about 4:00 left in 3rd quarter.

update - Barnesville scores TD with 2-pt conversion to go up 30-15. on its next possession, JCC throws an interception for its 4th turnover. Barnesville is driving and JCC gets an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on the bench. going from bad to worse. under 5:00 to play in game.
That's a crummy way to lose. More importantly, hope the kid is alright.

Having been to most EP games, I agree that the edges is where EP is vulnerable on D. Shakopee was able to have some success running, and there's been moments of passing as well (Prior Lake).

2nd half is where EP just puts teams to bed. Those 2-3-4 yard runs in the 1st half are now 7-8+ yard runs. When EP is good, and this year's team fits it perfectly, they want to get their opponents to submit & not want to play anymore....and they're really good at it. Can Edina get EP to 3rd & long & make them pass when they don't want to pass. If so, they have a chance. If not, it will be a slow, painful death.
I agree. When 2,3, 4 huge guys block you on every play for a half you lose enthusiasm in the 3rd and 4th quarter. Or watch the 220 pound RB run right past you on consecutive plays. On short and less than 3 yards the Eagles formation comes in which has been around for as long as I can remember. This year's version includes a 6'7" blocking RB, a 6'6" blocking RB and #22 as the ball carrier, who is the starting LB at about 215, who is a north/south/slashing runner. The whole stadium knows who is getting the ball, including the opposing coach. Most have difficulty preventing the first down.

That's a crummy way to lose. More importantly, hope the kid is alright.
his dad just tweeted that it appears to be a serious concussion - but he has feeling in all his extremities and he is responsive. so hopefully no long-term implications, but those concussions can be tricky.

As a Centennial alum living in Illinois, I had no idea that the team played so well this year! Anyone know if there is a stream for the championship game out of market?
Channel 45TV is who carries the championship games.

Top Bottom