2023 MN High School Football season

I like the current system with one change. State starts at 16 teams and cross over seeding, so the top 2 in each section are in state.
I would be okay with that.

Even better.
9 regular season games.

Top 32 in each class make playoffs that are not by region.
Eliminates the Wed-Tues-Sat.

Even better.
9 regular season games.

I like it, but how do you determine the top 32?

Most of 6a didn’t want 6a
When you say what 6a wanted you’re actually talking about what a small handful of schools in 6a wanted. Not the whole thing.
You are correct. The next 32 teams didn’t want the largest 32. The argument if the “best” teams hold no water. You would have had two 8 seeds a year ago that were state champs. If they cared only about metro, wouldn’t they have more classes for the metro only?

Given where our RB room is after graduations and announced transfers—good RBs remain, not much speed—might the Gophers have a spot for Savion Hart? Not big, but one of shiftiest and most clever HS RBs I have even seen. Foot plant and lateral move is extraordinary. And he has some speed. Just sayin’ …

You are correct. The next 32 teams didn’t want the largest 32. The argument if the “best” teams hold no water. You would have had two 8 seeds a year ago that were state champs. If they cared only about metro, wouldn’t they have more classes for the metro only?
More classes? Let them have 6 classes in the Metro, I don't care.

They went to district football because there were a handful of 6A teams that nobody wanted to play. The MSHSL answer? Force all teams into district football because they wanted ALL classes to be the same. I was in those meetings with the MSHSL at the time. When asked why they were making the outstate schools break up long-standing conferences and rivalries and force us into district football, MSHSL's response was, "we don't care what outstate schools think of this. It's happening whether you like it or not." And I'm not paraphrasing.

Then some 6A schools complain that the two best teams aren't playing in the prep bowl. What does the MSHSL do? They allow 6A to completely cross bracket and seed their 32 teams. Coaches association proposes seeding after section semifinals, MSHSL response "6A is different than the rest of the classes. We don't care if the 2 best teams compete for the title we only care about geographic representation." Again, not paraphrasing. And they doubled down on it with their vote yesterday.

Even better.
9 regular season games.

I like the idea of 32 teams vs everyone makes it, however, I have a problem with 9 regular season games because I don't see it solving the Wed-Tues-Sat problem. Wouldn't the 9th game have to be on the Tuesday that is currently used for the first round of playoffs?
If I were the king, I would reduce the teams making the playoffs to 32 with the top 4 in each section. The teams not making the playoffs could cross-play another section, such as 5 seed vs 5 seed, 6 vs 6, etc. (Not all sections have 8 teams so it could get tricky.) The 9th game for the teams not making the playoffs would fall on the same day as the first round of playoffs for the top 4 seeds in each section. This would improve the glut of games over a short period of time. Some guy, maybe you were thinking the same thing and I mis-interpreted?

I like the idea of 32 teams vs everyone makes it, however, I have a problem with 9 regular season games because I don't see it solving the Wed-Tues-Sat problem. Wouldn't the 9th game have to be on the Tuesday that is currently used for the first round of playoffs?
If I were the king, I would reduce the teams making the playoffs to 32 with the top 4 in each section. The teams not making the playoffs could cross-play another section, such as 5 seed vs 5 seed, 6 vs 6, etc. (Not all sections have 8 teams so it could get tricky.) The 9th game for the teams not making the playoffs would fall on the same day as the first round of playoffs for the top 4 seeds in each section. This would improve the glut of games over a short period of time. Some guy, maybe you were thinking the same thing and I mis-interpreted?
Yes. I misspoke

The teams that don’t make the playoffs play a 9th game against each other. You say it pretty well.

Balancing sections by number would make something like this way easier.

I personally would love 48 teams per class.
6 teams per section. 9 man or 1a has strange sectioning.

Top 48 = 6a
Next 48 = 5a
Etc

Weeks 1-3 self schedule.
Weeks 4-8 play your section.

Top 4 in each section make playoffs.
Teams 5 and 6 play 5 or 6 from a neighboring section for a 9th game.
The week 1-3 self schedule teams will schedule competitive games because weeks 5-8 being all section will likely take most of the weight of seeding.
This would also allow osseo to play park center.
Apple valley to play Eastview.
Mayo to play century.
Moundsview to play irondale.
Etc

More classes? Let them have 6 classes in the Metro, I don't care.

They went to district football because there were a handful of 6A teams that nobody wanted to play. The MSHSL answer? Force all teams into district football because they wanted ALL classes to be the same. I was in those meetings with the MSHSL at the time. When asked why they were making the outstate schools break up long-standing conferences and rivalries and force us into district football, MSHSL's response was, "we don't care what outstate schools think of this. It's happening whether you like it or not." And I'm not paraphrasing.

Then some 6A schools complain that the two best teams aren't playing in the prep bowl. What does the MSHSL do? They allow 6A to completely cross bracket and seed their 32 teams. Coaches association proposes seeding after section semifinals, MSHSL response "6A is different than the rest of the classes. We don't care if the 2 best teams compete for the title we only care about geographic representation." Again, not paraphrasing. And they doubled down on it with their vote yesterday.
Data? 92% of all teams supported District football one year ago. More non-metro teams couldn’t fill schedules than the metro. Read the Board Summaries and minutes. What you’re stating was not said. Paraphrasing or not.

Yes. I misspoke

The teams that don’t make the playoffs play a 9th game against each other. You say it pretty well.

Balancing sections by number would make something like this way easier.

I personally would love 48 teams per class.
6 teams per section. 9 man or 1a has strange sectioning.

Top 48 = 6a
Next 48 = 5a
Etc

Weeks 1-3 self schedule.
Weeks 4-8 play your section.

Top 4 in each section make playoffs.
Teams 5 and 6 play 5 or 6 from a neighboring section for a 9th game.
The week 1-3 self schedule teams will schedule competitive games because weeks 5-8 being all section will likely take most of the weight of seeding.
This would also allow osseo to play park center.
Apple valley to play Eastview.
Mayo to play century.
Moundsview to play irondale.
Etc
I like that plan. Allow teams to schedule a more challenging schedule if they feel confident. Or pick up rivalries that may be missed because of section schedules and changes.

@Gopherwatcher do you know if the MSHSL’s authority is mandated by state law?

Was there any talk of some outstate confs banding together and giving the MSHSL the finger? Play independent of them and just amongst themselves? Would that be legal?

@Gopherwatcher do you know if the MSHSL’s authority is mandated by state law?

Was there any talk of some outstate confs banding together and giving the MSHSL the finger? Play independent of them and just amongst themselves? Would that be legal?
Schools could do that, but then they would be banned from post-season play since that is run by the MSHSL. When schools join the MSHSL, they have to abide by all by-laws. As far as I understand, the MSHSL still can be overruled by the legislature, but they are the governing body of high school activities according to the state. The reason that the MSHSL acted so quickly in regards to district football is because a couple of metro legislators that represent places like Eden Prairie and Minnetonka threatened to bring up legislation to take control of some of those scheduling problems. That's what was mentioned at some of the meetings I attended.

all the discussion of other formats is fun.

one small problem - it's not going to happen as long as the MSHSL is in control of what happens in MN HS sports. the MSHSL does not like change. they accept change grudgingly. every issue is studied to death, and then they assign another committee to study it further just for good measure.
the issue with seeding state tournaments is a good example. the coaches are overwhelmingly in favor of it, but the MSHSL has dragged its heels on it.

so any hope of major or systemic change is almost impossible - unless it's something they believe in like adding more classes.

my brother has been on the state cross-country and track coaches advisory committees, and can tell plenty of stories about his dealings with the MSHSL.

all the discussion of other formats is fun.

one small problem - it's not going to happen as long as the MSHSL is in control of what happens in MN HS sports. the MSHSL does not like change. they accept change grudgingly. every issue is studied to death, and then they assign another committee to study it further just for good measure.
the issue with seeding state tournaments is a good example. the coaches are overwhelmingly in favor of it, but the MSHSL has dragged its heels on it.

so any hope of major or systemic change is almost impossible - unless it's something they believe in like adding more classes.

my brother has been on the state cross-country and track coaches advisory committees, and can tell plenty of stories about his dealings with the MSHSL.
Change is definitely slow. Coaches unfortunately shouldn’t be ghd ultimate decision makers. Administration in schools often disagree. Coaches recommended the current classification model for tennis and it was approved. Who in their right mind thinks St. Peter should ply Minnetonka to go to State? Adding classes in sports have been recommended and have not accomplished anything other than a private school class. There’s a reason why coaches shouldn’t get everything they want.

Arguably the best tournament in the country in the country and a the hockey tournament. Part of its intrigue is its regional representation. I’d hate to see it change.

Back to high school football.

Schools could do that, but then they would be banned from post-season play since that is run by the MSHSL. When schools join the MSHSL, they have to abide by all by-laws. As far as I understand, the MSHSL still can be overruled by the legislature, but they are the governing body of high school activities according to the state. The reason that the MSHSL acted so quickly in regards to district football is because a couple of metro legislators that represent places like Eden Prairie and Minnetonka threatened to bring up legislation to take control of some of those scheduling problems. That's what was mentioned at some of the meetings I attended.
They could drop out of MSHSL in one sport but not others though

I would love it if the south suburban, northwest suburban, and suburban east formed their own playoff and just left the lake conference drifting in the wind in football. Would be funny.

Why couldn’t they do it in all sports? It would be the same thing, they would just play each other in all those sports.

MSHSL sounds like a bunch of D heads.

closing out the season - All-State Teams from the AP:

First team

QB — Ayden Helder, Stewartville
RB — Maxwell Woods, Chanhassen
RB — Savion Hart, St. Thomas Academy
RB — Ryan Meagher, Minneota
WR/TE — KhiJohnn Cummings-Coleman, Coon Rapids
WR/TE — Carter Holcomb, Rochester Mayo
WR/TE — Cameron Begalle, Andover
OL — Emerson Mandell, Irondale
OL — Will Sather, Eden Prairie
OL — Anton Kedlec, Hutchinson
OL — Wyatt Bell, Rogers
OL — Hayden Broich, Eden Prairie

DL — Wyatt Gilmore, Rogers
DL — Jide Abisari, Prior Lake
DL — Antonio Menard, Lakeville North
DL — Mo Saine, Eden Prairie
LB — Mark Rendl, Forest Lake
LB — Evan Hatton, Mounds View
LB — Mason Carrier, Detroit Lakes
LB — Sam Macy, Chanhassen
DB — Koi Perich, Esko
DB — Owen Kemper, Edina
DB — Luke Dehnicke, Andover
DB — Zashon Rich, Minneapolis North
Kicker/punter — Luke Ryerse, East Ridge
All-purpose — D'Mario Davenport, Andover

Second team

QB — Tanner Zolnosky, East Ridge
RB — Charles Langama, Maple Grove
RB — Beau Wiersma, Kingsland
RB — John Warpinski, Edina
WR/TE — Tanner Schmidt, Stillwater
WR/TE — Jalen Smith, Mankato West
WR/TE (tie) — Carter Olson, Springfield
WR/TE (tie) — Jake Schultz, Delano
OL — Tait Anderberg, Lakeville North
OL — Aiden Horel, Prior Lake
OL — Joe Duerr, St. Michael-Albertville
OL — Brycen Lotz, Braham
OL — Azrie Yeager, Minneapolis North

DL — Marcus Whiting, Centennial
DL — Howie Johnson, Forest Lake
DL — Max Mogelson, Two Rivers
DL (tie) — Anaise Dotson, Minneapolis North
DL (tie) — Parker Johnson, Kingsland
LB — Dominic Heim, Eden Prairie
LB — Matthew Heinen, Champlin Park
LB — Wyatt Osterbauer, Buffalo
LB — Kaleb Weikel, Andover
DB — Will Steil, Rocori
DB — Terae Dunn, Eden Prairie
DB — Will Peroutka, Rosemount
DB — Simon Seidl, Hill-Murray
Kicker/punter — Daniel Jackson, Alexandria
All-purpose — Ray James, DeLaSalle

I didn't want to start a new thread but thought this was worth sharing. This is from Virginia.

here you go (College Commitment in parentheses)

OFFENSE:
QB - Tanner Zolnosky - East Ridge
QB - Maximus Sims - St. Thomas Academy (MSU-Mankato)
RB - Maxwell Woods, Chanhassen (NDSU)
RB - Savion Hart, St. Thomas Academy
WR - Khijohnn Cummings-Coleman, Coon Rapids
Slot - Tyler Nystrom, Mounds View
WR - Joe Hoheisel, Stillwater
TE - Adam Molitor, Totino-Grace
TE/Ath - Ray James, DeLaSalle (NDSU)
OL - Emerson Mandell, Irondale (Wisconsin)
OL - Kene Anene, East Ridge (Kansas)
C - Will Sather, Eden Prairie (Princeton)
OL - Adien Horel, Prior Lake
OL - Tait Anderberg, Lakeville North
OL - Sam Ruid, St. Francis

DEFENSE:
DL - Wyatt Gilmore, Rogers (Oklahoma)
DL - Max Mogelson, Two Rivers (UNLV)
DL - Jide Abasiri, Prior Lake (Minnesota)
DL - Mo Saine, Eden Prairie (Minnesota)
DL - Trent Page, Minnehaha (Yale)
DL - Antonio Menard, Lakeville North (Air Force)
LB - Sam Macy, Chanhassen (Minnesota)
LB - Emmanuel Karmo, Cooper
DB - Isaac Davis, Park Center
DB - Caden Johnson, St. Michael-Albertville (MSU-Mankato)
DB - Nolan Dumonceaux, Forest Lake
DB - Zashon Rich, Mpls North
DB - Josiah Young, Totino-Grace
K - Keagan Zabilla, Minnetonka
Maxwell Woods - Chanhassen - has scrubbed NDSU from his twitter. Who knows if the Gophers have any interest but he was reportedly in Brookings last Saturday.

Maxwell Woods - Chanhassen - has scrubbed NDSU from his twitter. Who knows if the Gophers have any interest but he was reportedly in Brookings last Saturday.
Using coaching change as excuse to look around?

They could drop out of MSHSL in one sport but not others though

I would love it if the south suburban, northwest suburban, and suburban east formed their own playoff and just left the lake conference drifting in the wind in football. Would be funny.
Essentially what Shattuck did when they pulled their hockey program.

I don't think you'll ever see that happen. They'd have to run their own administration of the league, deal with officials independently, it would be a major pain.

Essentially what Shattuck did when they pulled their hockey program.

I don't think you'll ever see that happen. They'd have to run their own administration of the league, deal with officials independently, it would be a major pain.
It would be easier than you’d think. The schools know all the officials already. The administration of the league would be easy to just follow national federation rules.

The really bigger deal would be renting sites for championship venues. Because it wouldn’t be subsidized by the hockey tourney like all the MSHSL sports are

You’d just play at the home site of the higher seed all the way through.

Not as fancy as MSHSL at the pro venues, but that’s the price you pay to get out from under the tyrant’s boot.

Would love to see it

You’d just play at the home site of the higher seed all the way through.

Not as fancy as MSHSL at the pro venues, but that’s the price you pay to get out from under the tyrant’s boot.

Would love to see it
That could be tough. A lot of high school stadiums aren't really set up to be used in winter weather. Maybe play in the bubbles at CSP or Augsburg?

That could be tough. A lot of high school stadiums aren't really set up to be used in winter weather. Maybe play in the bubbles at CSP or Augsburg?
Easier option would be to start season two weeks earlier and be done by Halloween

Texas is playing championships this week. 12 games Wednesday to Friday. 16 game season to win the title. It takes 13-14 games to win MN championship.

on State Football seeding - according to John Millea

as noted, for Quarterfinals, there will be a North division seeded 1-4 and a South Division seeded 1-4.

for the Semi-finals, they will cross-bracket. So Highest seeded team advancing in the North will play the lowest seeded team advancing in the South, and vice-versa.

If the highest seeded teams all advance, then the potential State Finals could be North #1 seed vs South #1 Seed. Or you could wind up with North #1 vs North #2 - or South #1 vs South #2 depending on how the Semis turn out.

haven't seen the full meeting report. don't know whether they discussed seeding for Basketball and other sports - or whether that will be dealt with at a later date.

Nothing discussed or taken action on Basketball. Just what was posted above and
Detroit Lakes was placed in a new conference and action on suspension of soccer games.

Basketball likely after the season when then have new data on shot clocks and how the post season plays out.

Top Bottom