2023-24 College Football Transfer Portal Thread

With all the QB's playing in bowls that have never started due to the starter in the portal, it had me thinking. The number of top QB's in the 2021 (would be JR this year with no redshirt) and 2022 (So) that have transferred at least once is absolutely astounding. The idea of getting one of these kids would be exciting (looking at you, Nebraska), but the numbers indicate they are unlikely to either pan out and/or stick around. tOSU signs 2 of the top 8 QB's in 2021 and gets one season out of one of them. Crazy.

In the 2021 class, 10 of the top 13 QB's has transferred. In the 2022 class, 7 of 13 have transferred, with 3 of the 6 remaining getting significant playing time, which means the other 3 are likely transfer candidates after bowl season is complete.

2021 QB Class (highlighted means they've transferred, picked top 13 only because that's what fit on my screen for a screen shot):
View attachment 29224

2022 QB Class (highlighted means they've already transferred, check mark means they've stayed and gotten playing time, X means they've stayed but haven't gotten much playing time):
View attachment 29225
Crazy!

I did not know Louisville has a ton of NIL $. How do you know this? I probably missed it on some other thread.
Lots of money in the equine industry which is Kentucky based.

FWIW, it generates 4.2 billion in revenue while also creating 33,000 jobs annually I’m - I go to the Belmont Stakes yearly so zi follow it more than the average sports fan. Kentucky is where the majority of the horses and bred and reared and promising yearlings can fetch high six figures/seven figures at auction, while the stud fees for their daddy can be in the six figures as well.

A good graphic of transfers out for the Orange Bowl of FSU vs. Georgia and where they are going. All the Georgia transfers are going to other P5 programs, mostly mid-tier. Three former four star players are coming to mid-level B1G programs - Purdue and Maryland. FSU transfers out are mostly staying in the south which makes sense, staying closer to home. I love seeing these elite recruiting teams losing a little depth to others. Unfortunately, Minnesota is a LONG WAY from all these talented players...

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/s...l-2023-college-football-schedule/72049754007/

Georgia transfers out:
1703971741839.png

A good graphic of transfers out for the Orange Bowl of FSU vs. Georgia and where they are going. All the Georgia transfers are going to other P5 programs, mostly mid-tier. Three former four star players are coming to mid-level B1G programs - Purdue and Maryland. FSU transfers out are mostly staying in the south which makes sense, staying closer to home. I love seeing these elite recruiting teams losing a little depth to others. Unfortunately, Minnesota is a LONG WAY from all these talented players...

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/s...l-2023-college-football-schedule/72049754007/

Georgia transfers out:
View attachment 29259

I'll take a WR. Why not, a CB too.

The barstool bowl commentators are complete garbage.

I know that's kinda their brand, but it's horrendous to listen to ...

I love seeing these elite recruiting teams losing a little depth to others.
Can’t speak for all the programs, but Georgia isn’t really losing depth. They are replacing 4 and 5 star portal losses with 4 and 5 star recruits.

Can’t speak for all the programs, but Georgia isn’t really losing depth. They are replacing 4 and 5 star portal losses with 4 and 5 star recruits.
They always had the recruits, but now they don’t hang on to ALL of them as long.

I have to admit, they didn’t miss them today, that’s for sure! It is funny when my hot takes don’t even last the day.

The Texas backup QB already portaled out before the playoff game. I guarantee you, there will be more and more NFL and portal opt-outs in the playoffs as time goes on. FBS football has been ruined.

The Texas backup QB already portaled out before the playoff game. I guarantee you, there will be more and more NFL and portal opt-outs in the playoffs as time goes on. FBS football has been ruined.
I agree with the multiple takes that say they will fix this. The networks are not happy with and will not stand for the bad product being put on the field. The portal timing will be changed at the very least.

I agree with the multiple takes that say they will fix this. The networks are not happy with and will not stand for the bad product being put on the field. The portal timing will be changed at the very least.
The easiest change would be to have one free transfer (to not sit out a year), and all other transfers for any reason cost a year on the bench. No exceptions, period.

Another rule to change would be to limit how many years you can play college sports. It used to be 5 years to play 4 with certain exceptions. Just change it to 6 years to play 4, with no exceptions. Still keep the play 4 games in only 1 year that doesn’t count against the 4 years to play (just like it is now).

The above two rules are easy to implement and treats everyone the same and keeps arbitrary decisions from the NCAA. It would limit player movement while allowing them to change schools whenever they want, twice for those taking a red shirt year, and 3 if a player played his first year and then transferred after each year played.

Transfers starting to occur at Alabama. They already struggled on their offensive line this year and have more experienced guys going out. Looks like they'll be playing a lot of freshman.

https://theathletic.com/5177673/2024/01/03/alabama-football-transfer-portal-needs/

The "trouble" with recruiting so many 4 & 5 stars is the older guys that have been waiting to start feel the pressure from behind. If they aren't all-stars, some seem to decide to go someplace else where they are almost certain to start rather than roll the dice at places like Alabama. They end up with a lot of young starters that may be super talented, but are also more prone to making mistakes, six sacks against Michigan for example. At the same time, these highly trained transfers raise the floor of Alabama's competition. The problem with the portal for top programs would seem to be that they already have a lot of guys leaving early to go pro, now they have even more movement from the portal.

Georgia transfers out:
View attachment 29259
The issue with claiming they're losing depth is that they're not really. The older guys are walk ons or guys who didn't crack the depth chart at predominantly, even as backups. the young guys are being replaced with 5 stars. On top of that, they've brought in 4 4 star transfers. They just cycle guys in and out and keep their classes balanced and get their pick of the litter (with guys like Etienne who will walk in and be their day 1 starting RB)

Transfers starting to occur at Alabama. They already struggled on their offensive line this year and have more experienced guys going out. Looks like they'll be playing a lot of freshman.

https://theathletic.com/5177673/2024/01/03/alabama-football-transfer-portal-needs/

The "trouble" with recruiting so many 4 & 5 stars is the older guys that have been waiting to start feel the pressure from behind. If they aren't all-stars, some seem to decide to go someplace else where they are almost certain to start rather than roll the dice at places like Alabama. They end up with a lot of young starters that may be super talented, but are also more prone to making mistakes, six sacks against Michigan for example. At the same time, these highly trained transfers raise the floor of Alabama's competition. The problem with the portal for top programs would seem to be that they already have a lot of guys leaving early to go pro, now they have even more movement from the portal.
they'll be starting one guy without starting experience next year with the center transferring out. and that's only barring them not signing someone new. they were really young/inexperienced on the OL this year and it showed early (and is a huge part of why they got better). They'll be just fine. Alabama can replace depth way easier than a place like MN can and they'll continue to have a plethora of 4 and 5 star commits every year.

Alabama had 8 former 4* players hit the portal after the semi-finals.

Per Ole Miss fans, it's a negotiating strategy and he's likely to be back
The Transfer Portal is the collegiate contract holdout

Wait until next year when guys have a couple good games and threaten to enter the Portal mid-season unless they get a raise (even if they can't actually switch teams yet). There will be a round of what amounts to contract holdouts when the playoffs start next season.

It was a huge coup a couple years back when WI got a commit from OT Nolan Rucci, a 5* 6’8” 300 player whose Dad played at Penn State and the NFL. Rucci entered the portal on the last day and immediately signed with Penn State. I don’t think Rucci was ever able to beat out Nelson or Lakeville’s Mahlmann to start at OT. But I don’t really follow the Badgers. Was Rucci a bust?

Top Bottom