2020-2021 College Basketball Other Games Thread

Sparty knocks of Illinois and OSU back to back. Weakling Wednesday might be all but assured for the Gophers.
Yup, feels like that die's been cast. MSU always finishes strong. The idea that we'd finally finish ahead of them or Wisconsin in the standings seems laughable now in retrospect.

Yup, feels like that die's been cast. MSU always finishes strong. The idea that we'd finally finish ahead of them or Wisconsin in the standings seems laughable now in retrospect.
We were 3 games ahead of them on February 18th...

Sparty knocks of Illinois and OSU back to back. Weakling Wednesday might be all but assured for the Gophers.

I chose to watch that tonight instead of the miserable Gophers and it was unbelievable. The referees may have single handedly won it for Michigan State tonight; never seen anything like it before. Ohio State got absolutely screwed.

I chose to watch that tonight instead of the miserable Gophers and it was unbelievable. The referees may have single handedly won it for Michigan State tonight; never seen anything like it before. Ohio State got absolutely screwed.
Izzo at Breslin > Bo Ryan at Kohl in terms of ref help

That was one of the worst games I've ever seen at any level. I've seen some incredibly sloppy city/men's league games that didn't feature the turnovers and mental mistakes that this game had. Northwestern hadn't won in 2021 and I bet Collins would say this is one of their poorer efforts of the stretch...and they came back from 17-3 down to beat Richard Pitino.

The thing that drove me the most crazy was Pitino calling the timeout after Carr finally made a 3. It gave them the lead and their were like 40 seconds until a mandatory tv timeout. He allows Collins to draw up an ATO and they get a 3 to go up 2 and then Northwestern scores again and the Gophers are down 4 when the TV timeout comes. Why do you use timeouts like this and just sit there when your team is losing it's lead in the first half? This is something that's come back to bite him over and over again. I can not think of a single time where the timeout after our own made basket looked like a good decision aside from needing to stop the clock trying to come back in the waning seconds of a game.

It's extremely concerning to me that Coyle didn't make a move after year 5 or after 6 ( I give him a pass for COVID uncertainty at the end of last year). We could have given a new coach a fighting chance with Murphy and Coffey still on the roster. Or Oturu and Carr. That coach could have had had a chance at Suggs, Garcia, Dainja, Walton, Brown, Holmgren and the list goes on. Look at the roster next year without Carr and realize that with him it was a bottom 4 team in the conference this year. I don't think it's out of the question that he we have the least returning talent in the entire conference for '21-22.

The good thing is there likely will be more opportunities to add talent this Spring than in any other year due to kids getting an extra year and recruiting kind of being on pause. It just is incredibly frustrating to have to start from absolute rock bottom.

The good thing is there likely will be more opportunities to add talent this Spring than in any other year due to kids getting an extra year and recruiting kind of being on pause. It just is incredibly frustrating to have to start from absolute rock bottom.
We could recruit Davison as a grad transfer . . .

Michigan can beat anyone. I have them in the final four.

Watched a little of Utah St tonight, wow actual offense being run and almost no dribbling while it’s going on , cross screens and back screens, plus double screens that actually got guys open. And what a bonus, when guys were open they made shots, holy shit, I didn’t understand what the hell I was watching.

Watched a little of Utah St tonight, wow actual offense being run and almost no dribbling while it’s going on , cross screens and back screens, plus double screens that actually got guys open. And what a bonus, when guys were open they made shots, holy shit, I didn’t understand what the hell I was watching.
It's a team that knows what it's doing out there both offensively and defensively. Really fun to watch obviously. Hard to know how well it translates to the Big Ten, where every game is a rugby scrum to an extent. Sort of like the neutral zone trap neutralizing a free flowing offense. But the bigger picture is that the guy knows how to teach players how to do something well and consistently.

Well, is there a team in the Big Ten currently that plays roughly equivalent to that style?
I was thinking about that. Classically, basketball is basketball, and movement and screening are always present in the game and always will be. The coach who best exemplified it was Bob Knight, and he talked incessantly about it. In the present day, in my opinion, no offense is better at featuring movement than the swing offense at UW. It's baked into it, and the way they do it gets them mismatches (and is good at beating zone defenses; yes that's possible!). Some of the inside/outside motion I saw last night reminded me of the swing offense.

I was thinking about that. Classically, basketball is basketball, and movement and screening are always present in the game and always will be. The coach who best exemplified it was Bob Knight, and he talked incessantly about it. In the present day, in my opinion, no offense is better at featuring movement than the swing offense at UW. It's baked into it, and the way they do it gets them mismatches (and is good at beating zone defenses; yes that's possible!). Some of the inside/outside motion I saw last night reminded me of the swing offense.
I've asked this a couple times in various places and never got a satisfactory answer.

What is Pitino's style?

Like, with Fleck we can say "he wants to run RPO on offense, and 4-2-5 defense", etc. What is the equivalent statement to that, and like what you said about Wisconsin here, for Pitino?

I've asked this a couple times in various places and never got a satisfactory answer.

What is Pitino's style?

Like, with Fleck we can say "he wants to run RPO on offense, and 4-2-5 defense", etc. What is the equivalent statement to that, and like what you said about Wisconsin here, for Pitino?
I'll describe what I see: high ball screen after high ball screen, with the screener frequently open, but the ball handler almost never passes it to them. Lather, rinse, repeat. Eventually they get desperate enough that they force something to happen; sometimes it's a shot.

I know it's more complicated than that, and I do see them run some action and plays, but they don't do it consistently and insistently enough. That's why you see long scoring droughts.

I'm sure what Richard tells recruits is that the players have a lot of freedom on offense. Indeed, if that's the way you want to put it. That's not the way I'd run a ship.

I'm sure what Richard tells recruits is that the players have a lot of freedom on offense.
Thanks.

So perhaps the "idea" was, use this philosophy to lure in big time playmakers and just let them dominate the game?

I guess. It appears he has tried, and failed.

Thanks.

So perhaps the "idea" was, use this philosophy to lure in big time playmakers and just let them dominate the game?

I guess. It appears he has tried, and failed.
I don't doubt he gets recruits interested that way. "Look at what Marcus Carr is doing; that could be you."

Defensively, Richard and I have very different philosophies. He wants them to play the ball. I want them to guard people.

How was Wisconsin favored over Illinois? Easy $.

Now that LMU is playing Gonzaga, the rest of the world is discovering the glory that is Keli Leaupepe. The comments on Reddit are all over him.

Holy cow, look what Nebraska is doing to Rutgers!

Top Bottom