It's time to grant Joe Maturi his release - New AD is Tony Dungy!

Gentlemen, its been real but my tolerance for nonsense has been reached. Congratulations on becoming inaugural members of my ignore list.

So Ron Johnson--are you saying that schools with winning athletic programs are somehow inferior in education? Are Florida and Texas world class universities?
How about Auburn or Ohio State? They all win? Is there something intricically wrong with being on the winning side consistantly?

Show me where I said that. I've said absolutely nothing remotely close to that.

BS. Some of us have high regards for the University of Minnesota as an institution. It goes beyond the W-L record of the football and basketball team and we would just as soon not go for the win at all costs tactics that other schools employ.

It seems from this comment that you are implying that in order to win at sports you must do it at the expense of your morals. If I am reading this wrong and you are not saying what I think, then how do some of those other schools accomplish both academic greatness (as you see it) and Athletic greatness? Why wouldn't you expect that same combination of things from Minnesota, as it is so high on your pedestal in terms of all around greatness (better than all those other institutions?)

millions2spare said:
sorry Rick...you and the lefty wcco crowd who control the University from the Pres to the AD are the reason this program is in free fall

Missed-layup said:
Are you a professor at the great U of MN? It is not a surprise you are a left winger. You are willing to criticize athletic standards but you won't hold the academic side to the same ethical standards.

millions2spare said:
Normally it is the LEFT leaners who control university systems and have that attitude that...OMG if someone wins then that means someone has to lose too

Yeah, definitely not the same person.

While I don't agree with Millions of Lay-ups reasos per se, I do think it's time for Joel to retire and ride away.

Brewster is a large reason why. But it more comes down to his overall handling of the two major revenue sports. His handling of Mason's dismisal AFTER the Bowl game was unacceptable. You don't fire/hire in January, you do it in November/early December. There's no excuse for it. His handling of Dan Monson in March 2006 was similarly unacceptable. He in general does not seem to have the necessary intestinal fortitude to make the big decisions required of a major conference AD. His biggest accomplishments to date are his ability to keep us in the black, Tubby Smith and TCF Bank stadium. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to give him big props for #1. Keeping the program in the black is the job of every AD. Tubby Smith was a major coup. But how much of the credit for it goes to Maturi? Did he hire Tubby or as some have said did Tubby hire him? I don't honestly know the answer to this question. Tubby's comments have certainly indicated that Clem Haskin's recommendation probably carried more weight then anything Maturi said. As for TCF Bank, again how much of the credit for this goes to Maturi? Certianly some, but probaboly not more then goes to Pres. Bruinicks or even Glen Mason, and perhaps even Hennipen County and Carl Pohlad (the Twins getting thier stadium played a major role in the Gophers getting thiers).

There's also little doubt that while the blame rests with the players, the current situations on the basketball team could have been handled better then they were.

In the end, Maturi's weaknesses outwiegh his accomplishments IMO, and if we in a position of needing to hire another football coach next November, I'm not sure he's the one who should be making the decisions.

Jeebus, the amount of preachiness from some folks on this board is getting ridiculous. Does Maturi need to be replaced? It's an interesting question. I have several reservations about Maturi, most notably how he has handled the hiring of Tim Brewster and his subsequent contract extension. I am also very concerned about the way he's handling the men's hockey situation.

Having said all that, the university's athletic teams are not in the toilet universally, regardless of how some folks on here continue to say they "have higher standards" for the university. As it is, m2s outlined what his vision of "higher standards" are and they were, ahem, questionable at best. In other words, all he cares about is winning basketball games and he went as far as to state it in those exact terms yesterday. As a result, I have simply disregarded such a viewpoint since it is obvious where his true agenda lies.

As for the rest of it, of course the rest of us would like to see Gopher teams win. Why else would we support the teams? Having said that, that doesn't mean that we're some kind of bunch of left or right wing political activists or whatever because we hold athletes to high standards. It means that we understand there is more to life than winning in college sports. I for one am not willing to jeopardize the long-term future of either individual athletes (by giving them a free pass regardless of their actions) to win more games. In addition, I'm not in favor of jeopardizing the future of our athletic programs so we can win more right now (been down that road with Gopher teams in the past and trust me, I don't want to go that direction again).

So please stop with this whole "you guys just don't want to win" garbage because we support the way Joel Maturi and Tubby Smith have handled things recently. All that it means is that we expect athletes to be required to behave like anybody else in society. Playing college sports at the Division 1 level, whether it be basketball, football, hockey, soccer, volleyball or any other sport, is a privilege, not a right. And the sooner people understand that, the better off everyone will be.

Hey Missed-layup, could you please take your social commentary off this basketball board and move it too another forum? Thanks in advance....

Hey Missed-layup, could you please take your social commentary off this basketball board and move it too another forum? Thanks in advance....

And take your buddies/alter egos with you.

Or the mods could just grow some balls and ban them since they really don't bring anything other then ignorance and idocracy to this forum....

Either way I've just added two more to the ignore list....

Or the mods could just grow some balls and ban them since they really don't bring anything other then ignorance and idocracy to this forum....

You left out confrontation and name calling.

wow some real dialogue here.......

We agree that maturi needs to go. Nice. Even Reusse, Bararero, and Joe Anderson are beginning to question the leadership at the U of M. This program is in a free fall and the major revenue producing sports are being mis-handled. I hope Tubby does not get too frustrated and leaves. My perspective is that you can have a WORLD class University and win. Texas,OSU,Florida,USC are considered world class universities and are able to WIN and maintain a very good university system. It seems as if there is an attitude or culture at the U of M that thinks to have a stated objective to WIN is intrisically wrong and in conflict with University goals and objectives. Most Universities are considered to be left of Center (Not a political statement just a fact) and I think the U of Minnesota's sports culture is influenced by that to an extreme. Look at Wisconsin, in the early 90's they made a stated objective and a comitment from the President down to WIN. They created class offerrings and support programs to reinforce that commitment. Not just lip service. Wisconsin is a winning program in every sport, even the hockey team is up and coming. I don't think anyone would call the U of W a bad University. I am sick of attitde of accepted mediocrity that is rampid at our University.We don't want to WIN at all cost is an excuse and a justification for the approach. Right now, we are losing at all costs given the problems and mis Q's with some of the kids and the hires in the football and basketball program. The program is in a free fall and it needs to be stopped before we lose a guy like Tubby.

Ron

BS. Royce White butchered his own situation. He didn't need any help from Maturi. And so what if other programs put winning above everything else? That doesn't make it right. Some of us have high regards for the University of Minnesota as an institution. It goes beyond the W-L record of the football and basketball team and we would just as soon not go for the win at all costs tactics that other schools employ.

Agreed.

+1

gg5

hear, hear.

+1

wow some real dialogue here.......

We agree that maturi needs to go. Nice. Even Reusse, Bararero, and Joe Anderson are beginning to question the leadership at the U of M. This program is in a free fall and the major revenue producing sports are being mis-handled. I hope Tubby does not get too frustrated and leaves. My perspective is that you can have a WORLD class University and win. Texas,OSU,Florida,USC are considered world class universities and are able to WIN and maintain a very good university system. It seems as if there is an attitude or culture at the U of M that thinks to have a stated objective to WIN is intrisically wrong and in conflict with University goals and objectives. Most Universities are considered to be left of Center (Not a political statement just a fact) and I think the U of Minnesota's sports culture is influenced by that to an extreme. Look at Wisconsin, in the early 90's they made a stated objective and a comitment from the President down to WIN. They created class offerrings and support programs to reinforce that commitment. Not just lip service. Wisconsin is a winning program in every sport, even the hockey team is up and coming. I don't think anyone would call the U of W a bad University. I am sick of attitde of accepted mediocrity that is rampid at our University.We don't want to WIN at all cost is an excuse and a justification for the approach. Right now, we are losing at all costs given the problems and mis Q's with some of the kids and the hires in the football and basketball program. The program is in a free fall and it needs to be stopped before we lose a guy like Tubby.

As I stated earlier, your agenda is suspect at best based on what you said yesterday. In case you've forgotten, here it is:

"I don't really care about their personal life either. I don't care about their course load, their like ability, or the status of their character. That is for their mentors and coaches to deal with...All I really care about is the Gophers making the NCAA Tournament and winning basketball games."

And that's the thing; Tubby and Maturi are dealing with these kid's character (ie..coaches and mentors, which you mentioned), which is why Royce White wasn't granted an "all-clear" just because he behaved for a few weeks. Other than that, I think you've made your true intentions and hopes abundantly clear; that all you are interested in is winning at all costs. All the rest is fine as long as you do just enough to be able to play regardless of life lessons that may or may not be learned along the way. After all, the only thing that matters is winning, winning and winning. Everything else is secondary. Thus, you're holier than thou attitude is quite off-putting.

Unfortunately, the best Mentor Coach for Royce White in the country -Tubby Smith -is not going to get the chance to have an influence on him mainly because of the weak Athletic Departments handling of his case. If his case was handled by real misconduct policy like other Universities have vs an adhoc ambiguos seat of you pants approach maybe Tubby would have had a real chance to help a kid like Royce. Yes, my Agenda is WINNING! Just like they do at USC,TEXAS,OSU, ETC. I have set the standards for the Univerity higher that most. That is how I think and live my life and I will not appologize for it. If Wiscconsin can set a winning strategy and agenda, what is the U of M afraid of?

Unfortunately, the best Mentor Coach for Royce White in the country -Tubby Smith -is not going to get the chance to have an influence on him mainly because of the weak Athletic Departments handling of his case. If his case was handled by real misconduct policy like other Universities have vs an adhoc ambiguos seat of you pants approach maybe Tubby would have had a real chance to help a kid like Royce. Yes, my Agenda is WINNING! Just like they do at USC,TEXAS,OSU, ETC. I have set the standards for the Univerity higher that most. That is how I think and live my life and I will not appologize for it. If Wiscconsin can set a winning strategy and agenda, what is the U of M afraid of?

You call it winning. Others call it taking short-cuts. And if you really think that such a viewpoint is somehow holding to a "higher standard," than nothing else really needs to be said.

But at least you know what you are. And now, so do the rest of us.

Thanks, you just validated my point.

BTW, you mean "decent." First time might be a typo -- twice in the same post simply equates to misspelling : "I was just trying to engage your descent side "

Aren't you the one always preaching about feeding the trolls? If you can't see these two idiots are trolls, have mercy on your soul.

WAG

Aren't you the one always preaching about feeding the trolls? If you can't see these two idiots are trolls, have mercy on your soul.

Don't blame Rick. It is like rubbernecking on the highway. It is hard not to look.

I have had the forementioned sockpuppets on ignore for a while but I still see his junk quoted and sometimes I just can't resist to peak in on the lunacy.

:eek:

Have fun in the NIT and the Motor City Bowl!.. folks!...What we need is another D1 school in Minnesota focussed on building a winning program. Right now, until we get another option I am going to continue my quest to create a winning program like they have at OSU,USC,TEXAS,Florida,now Wisconsin!.......slap yourself...you can win and have a very very respected University! It is OK to be a WINNER!!!...
Set your standards higher!!....

Have fun in the NIT and the Motor City Bowl!.. folks!...What we need is another D1 school in Minnesota focussed on building a winning program. Right now, until we get another option I am going to continue my quest to create a winning program like they have at OSU,USC,TEXAS,Florida,now Wisconsin!.......slap yourself...you can win and have a very very respected University! It is OK to be a WINNER!!!...

Quest? Really? You're on a quest or perhaps a crusade? I'm pretty sure that in order to gain followers for this "quest" of yours, you'll probably need to learn how to grasp the english language a little more fully. And still continuing with the "higher standards" drivel eh? I must admit, these soap box speeches of yours are really getting quite amusing.

I hope we get one so you can go to that message board.

sorry guys...you have no idea what it takes to win.....
Tubby does and lets hope he does not get frustrated and leaves........
Think Higher......you guys pine and think about yester-year -- the 1960 Rosebowl or the 1982 big10 bb champ team or the final four and do not have a plan or the leadership who can execute that vision. You make excuses for not being there.Like Florida,Texas,OSU, etc all cheat to get there. It's not true folks. I am suggesting we hire someone who knows how to get there. Having a stated objective for Winning (ala wisconsin) and having a world class University are NOT mutually exclusive events. Go the Dr Phil for some thearapy, It is ok to be a winning program! Maybe one day you might beleive that.

sorry guys...you have no idea what it takes to win.....
Tubby does and lets hope he does not get frustrated and leaves........
Think Higher......you guys pine and think about yester-year -- the 1960 Rosebowl or the 1982 big10 bb champ team or the final four and do not have a plan or the leadership who can execute that vision. You make excuses for not being there.Like Florida,Texas,OSU, etc all cheat to get there. It's not true folks. I am suggesting we hire someone who knows how to get there. Having a stated objective for Winning (ala wisconsin) and having a world class University are NOT mutually exclusive events. Go the Dr Phil for some thearapy, It is ok to be a winning program! Maybe one day you might beleive that.

You are correct Sir(s)

We are just a bunch of idiot left wing older posters.

BTW Do you know Dr Phil personally?

omg...if you are a younger person then maybe you have been influenced by those who have gotten used to and expect Average. Break free---you can do better--- don't settle.....get your expectation for winning higher.... expect it from our leadership...I am not getting my money's worth... (I pay megga taxes in Minnesota and Calif).......By the way, I don't give a rats ass about your political views.....

omg...if you are a younger person then maybe you have been influenced by those who have gotten used to and expect Average. Break free---you can do better--- don't settle.....get your expectation for winning higher.... expect it from our leadership...I am not getting my money's worth... (I pay megga taxes in Minnesota and Calif).......By the way, I don't give a rats ass about your political views.....[/QUOTE]

Then why should we have to listen to your political views and how much money(taxes) you make.

BTW I'm on the back nine of life.

S19---because the taxes I pay --some goes to the University and I expect more from the U of M. BTW, I don't talk about my political views.

UPDATE: I finally have it figured out. Due to various references to the S & T blogs, nicknames (Monsy), and calling me by a certain name that only one person has done anywhere on any blog, constant arguing, always trying for the last word, etc...millions2spare = missedlayup = jon = Ben.

Here's to ya big guy...

You are a beauty. :)

dr don

? bizarre
take some advice, Waste your energy on basketball discussions.

Top Bottom