YOU ARE WRONG and so am I

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
Well, I have hung out here on Gopher Hole for a long time. I have been amazed how WRONG many of our local "experts" have been over the years. So many of you have acted like you know everything but you become remarkably silent as the fate of Gopher football goes directly opposite of what you predict.

That being said, I thought Mike Leach was the right hire and a couple seasons ago I responded with my vote to a Gopher Hole poll with my prediction that Berkely Edwards would be the leading rusher for the Gophers.

Anyone else wish to step up to the plate and admit their greatest GH misfire???!!!!!

I won't be afraid to admit I'm wrong - if it happens.

Well, I have hung out here on Gopher Hole for a long time. I have been amazed how WRONG many of our local "experts" have been over the years. So many of you have acted like you know everything but you become remarkably silent as the fate of Gopher football goes directly opposite of what you predict.

That being said, I thought Mike Leach was the right hire and a couple seasons ago I responded with my vote to a Gopher Hole poll with my prediction that Berkely Edwards would be the leading rusher for the Gophers.

Anyone else wish to step up to the plate and admit their greatest GH misfire???!!!!!

I'll give this some thought. But, I predict this thread will die from lack of interest. lol

Everyone is wrong from time to time. No shame in that at all. I've never been on a message board, read a newspaper, blog, etc. where local experts were right all the time, and often times were very wrong.

Alabama AD thought Shula would be a great hire. USC thought Kiffin would be a great hire. Michigan AD thought Hoke would be a great hire. ND thought Weiss would be a great hire.

I thought Bo Ryan would be an awful hire. I thought Michael Bauer would be a 1st round pick. I thought Dom Sims would be All Big Ten. I thought Paris Hamilton would be a difference maker.

Go Gophers!!

I thought there was a good chance Brewster would do some good things.

Omg... Yep, I thought his big recruiting class would rule the B1G. Should have added that to my list.

Once I said Jeff was light years ahead of Cobb. Also said when Mcdonald, Harbeson and Nelson would all be seniors which would be this year, we might have the best passing attack in the conference.

Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

I thought this Jones would be a great four year player at dukes but would be too small for the NBA. He may end up struggling but he got there and was one and done. I wonder what GW will admit too? I also thought tubbys last team would go 13-5 in the big ten.

Yeah, I thought the same thing once he hauled in the 2008 recruiting class. I blindly assumed he was a somewhat competent coach who could learn on the job with a decent coaching staff. Oh boy...

Might be easier to recount the number of times I was right.

A few that come readily to mind:

I was convinced we would beat Wisconsin two years ago.
I thought 2007 would be our first win over Michigan at home in awhile given how down they were, even with Brewster's failings. We made em look like National Champs instead
I thought Brady Hoke would have been a good hire for us.
I wasn't all that thrilled with the Jerry Kill hire, and expected him to get us back on track then we'd need to hire someone else to "take the next step". I don't believe we'll need someone else now.

I'm like a closer in baseball, I tend to forget real quick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nothing beats this. I thought Hayo Carpenter will end up in the NFL after playing for the GOPHERS. :horse::horse::horse::horse::horse:

I thought that when Jerry missed the Michigan game 2 years ago that he would retire from coaching. Glad I was wrong.

This thread is great:

http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?24400-Kill-is-a-good-hire

Also looks like this guy was right:

You guys don't know quite yet how good of a hire this is for your football program ... but you will.

There is no "Wow!" factor here but two, three, four years from now this board will be singing the praises of Jerry Kill. He will be a great ambassador for the University of Minnesota. His players will run through walls for him. His teams routinely are among the best in the nation academically.

You have to give him a couple of years, though. He's a builder, not a quick-fix artist.

I had the good fortune of watching Kill build a program first-hand and it was quite impressive. I expect the Gophers to be competing for the Big Ten title down the road.

i thought Mitcheroo would get benched in 2014.

After 2003, I for no apparent reason, expected Mason to get the defense fixed and have one or two really great seasons. That did not happen. The defense was worse than ever and the 10 win team fell off, even with an improving Caputo and Maroney (two years), and Barber (for one). I thought some sort of minor defensive improvement would be enough, but the team pissed away several games, and played like crap on the road.

Of course, losing Gary Russell in 2006 is what really sunk things. I still gutted it out and drove to Cleveland for Kent State in 2006. At least we beat that cupcake 44-0 on the road, which did not happen for a while after 2006.

I thought Phil Nelson would be a good quarterback.

I thought Berkley Edwards would be a stud. Although there is still time.

I didn't think Claeys would be this good.

I didn't think Jerry would be this good.

I thought Marqueis would be a stud QB.

I thought we'd beat Syracuse in the bowl game.

I've been wrong a lot. It's part of the hobby.

Edit: And now after reading Stoa's post, I'd like to add that I thought McDonald and Harbison would have careers here.

I've bought into the hype of every receiver since Hayo Carpenter.

I'm still very excited for this RS-FR class. Either something is different with them or I just plain haven't learned my lesson.

I'm wrong on recruiting stuff often.
Thought the 2013 LB class (Laster, Dixon, Wipson) would be excellent
Thought Julian Huff didn't look like a B1G player (wrong so far)
Thought Nelson would be a top level B1G QB
Thought Isaac Hayes would be a very good OL
Wasn't overly impressed with the HS tape of Rodney Smith or Brooks and apparently they may be our 2 most talented backs

Top Bottom