YOU ARE WRONG and so am I

I believed the coaches bs on how great Mitch had gotten this summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I first began visiting the forum, I thought Dr Don was a beer swilling perverted old geezer. Oh wait, I got that one right. NM.

After the UNLV game in Vegas I thought Derrick Wells was going to be the best DB since sliced bread.

I still get a lot of things wrong but it is no longer a problem. That is because when Kill first arrived I knew right away that this guy was the real deal. Everything he had done in the past and everything he was doing each day said "I know how to turn a culture around and build a program." "I done it before and I am going to do it now." Once I realized that, it didn't matter what I got wrong. The secret is a simple four word phrase - "In Kill We Trust". Once I accepted that I gave up my management and consulting position with the Gophers.

Yep, I've had a few misfires regarding Brewster. BUT, I've also hit some nails on the head. Bet the house against Becky very Bama. and take Gophers at 14.5. I was chastised about reporting a conversation over heard at a bar in Nisswa concerning fund raising. It proved to be correct.

I said Mitch Leidner was clearly better than Phillip Nelson as a passer...Doh!

I thought Jay Thomas was going to be all Big Ten.
I thought Sam Maresh was going to be a stud.
I thought JewJewParty was a good choice to host a bar mitzvah.
I thought we'd beat Wisconsin every year at home since 2003.

Forgot about Andre M. and Sam Maresh. Thought both those guys would be good additions. Was wrong about the U hiring Kill too. Wanted him to be hired after his success at NIU and reading about his success at SIU. Never thought they would hire him because of the cancer concerns.

Was also wrong big time about David Cobb. Thought he could be "okay". Didn't think he could, at times, be the only Offense they would need to win some games.

I thought Clint Brewster looked super promising in the Spring game.

I thought Gopher fans would stand the whole time on defense once TCF opened.

I thought Ralph Sampson III and Colton Iverson would rule the B1G if they stayed four years.

also thought Tubby would take Gophers to upper level of the B1G.

My biggest misfires have been non-Gopher related:
-The Timberwolves would be better off with Terrell Brandon than Steph Marbury
-Ohio State would demolish Florida in the national championship game in January 2007

Gopher related:
-I thought we found our coach after defeating Illinois on 10/11/2008 (sadly, most people, even those that say they thought Tim Brewster was a clown, will not admit this, even though deep down, most thought the same thing)
-I was high on Jedd Fisch
-I thought the 2004 Gophers were going to be better than the 2003 Gophers

My biggest misfires have been non-Gopher related:
-The Timberwolves would be better off with Terrell Brandon than Steph Marbury
-Ohio State would demolish Florida in the national championship game in January 2007

Gopher related:
-I thought we found our coach after defeating Illinois on 10/11/2008 (sadly, most people, even those that say they thought Tim Brewster was a clown, will not admit this, even though deep down, most thought the same thing)
-I was high on Jedd Fisch
-I thought the 2004 Gophers were going to be better than the 2003 Gophers

Reusse was one of them. He said it, very begrudgingly, on the radio. He use to cop to it, but for a few years now he's denied it. That's why we says those things, rather than puts them in print.

Reusse was one of them. He said it, very begrudgingly, on the radio. He use to cop to it, but for a few years now he's denied it. That's why we says those things, rather than puts them in print.

I seem to remember an article he wrote back then begrudgingly admitting that he was wrong on Brewster.

It dawned on me this morning 27 errors, when I predicted Kill-coached Gophers would win. That's more than half the time! Sorry.

It dawned on me this morning 27 errors, when I predicted Kill-coached Gophers would win. That's more than half the time! Sorry.

You've been wrong 51.9% of the time? Yep, that sounds about right. :D

I thought Clint Brewster looked super promising in the Spring game.

LOL. I'll never forget the excitement when he flipped from IL to MN. I shared in that excitement until I went to a game at Iowa during his year here. While on the field after the game I stood next to Clint Brewster and estimated him at about 5'7"/160 lbs. My friends still tease me about how down I was on that trip after that encounter - knowing he would never play a B1G game.

I'm usually have a pretty good eye for talent, but I whiffed big on these guys:

1. Kevin Whaley
2. David Pittman
3. Harold Howell
4. Sam Maresh
5. Jedd Fisch

I'm usually have a pretty good eye for talent, but I whiffed big on these guys:

1. Kevin Whaley
2. David Pittman
3. Harold Howell
4. Sam Maresh
5. Jedd Fisch

I think Whaley was talented. He was just an idiot.

In 2008 I thought the loss to Northwestern was a fluke and that at 7-2 the Gophers had a legitimate chance to win three trophies that year.

Whoops!

Also at that time I was trying my best to ignore a parent of a guy on the team telling me what a clown Brewster was. I was thinking the player was bitter because he was a Mason guy, was getting beaten out by a Brewster guy and was exaggerating things to blame the coach rather than himself. Again, whoops! The son's replacement kept getting embarrassed and the son kept getting inserted, did well, then got benched. Repeat the next week. Repeat the next week... That's when the Brewster facade started cracking for me. By the end of 2009 I was fairly convinced Brewster was not the guy. South Dakota in 2010 pushed me over the edge. I still think Maturi should have publicly fired Brew on the field after that loss. (So at least I corrected my stance! :))

I thought Tubby Smith hire was the greatest coup of all time. When I called a buddy of mine from Lexington to gloat he literally responded with "good, you can have him!". Went on to list several problems he had with Smith. I figured he was sour grapes and bitter KY wasn't in the championship game every year. Turned out every point my buddy made was dead on.

I thought there was no way the Gophers could lose to Michigan in 2003, Wisconsin in 2005, Texas Tech in 2006... I still remember going past a vendor trying to give away Texas Tech stuff after the game, I looked at him and said, "you know they won, right?". He thought I was lying. Until he saw all the other Gopher fans faces and realized they had pulled off the near impossible...

Interesting week. The lineup to post in this thread is really long, especially after reading the in-game thread. What happened to all the rational posters on GH? Some over-paid media, GW and SG, and a long list of others are really mad tonight.

Top Bottom