Women's Hockey 2023-24 Season -- Part 2: The Regular Season

Gophers move to #2! KABOOM! Wisconsin falls to #3 -- and the two meet next weekend at Ridder Arena at the University of Minnesota! Tickets as low as $6.

1701744508035.png

But first, Gophers face #8 St. Cloud State at St Cloud on Tuesday tomorrow! The #8 Huskies are in a position to be both spoiler and climb up if they actually beat #2 Minnesota.

Big week for hockey action!

1701744807016.png

Abbey Murphy leads the NCAA in goals per game by a wide margin.

1701745062909.png

For points per game, Abbey Murphy is #2.

Gophers Ella Huber at #13 is heading up!

1701745139891.png

She and Josefin Bouveng make the assists list.

1701745195922.png

Gophers are doing great! The Gophers in the offseason lost 2/3 of their scoring production to graduation, including the #1 overall player selected in the PWHL draft Taylor Heise and then a dozen picks later Grace Zumwinkle of Gophers.

Offensive production was a work in progress, to start the season.

A big story is the terrific penalty kill for the Gophers. The defense is good. Gophers this season have outplayed everyone except one thing Ohio State pelted the Gophers with shots in two games -- Skylar Vetter had over 50 saves in one game! -- that were about tied despite that.

This is a shift from last season. Last season was attack and attack, leading the NCAA in scoring.

And then the Gophers put up 18 points in two games this weekend! So the offense is moving along.

1701745420598.png

Looks like lucy the all American is doing well

Attachments

• IMG_8112.jpeg
    IMG_8112.jpeg
    528.5 KB · Views: 9

Rrrrready to rumble! The #2 Gophers take on the rival #3 Wisconsin Badgers tonight (and tomorrow). Attendance will be strong for this major rivalry game.

1702042400449.png

You can find interesting social media posts at Facebook and X (formerly Twitter).

1702042439030.png

Earlier this week, Tuesday, the Gophers beat St Cloud State Huskies in a shoot out. Ella Huber went first and scored. Then Allie Franco iced the game for Minnesota. St Cloud has strong goaltending.

Ella Huber scores first in shoot out
1702042990202.png

Skylar Vetter doesn't give up a goal. In this shoot out shot, great save extending way out
1702043085251.png

Allie Franco with a quick snap backhand to the upper corner for the win! Huskies didn't get a chance to shoot their final shot because Gophers were up by 2
1702043272046.png

Technically, the NCAA records it as a tie but Gophers earned a point in WCHA standings.

Take Out Gophers Abbey Murphy, the Leading Scorer in NCAA

The WCHA is rough hockey. I'm still trying to digest this, if this should be going on or if this is just how the WCHA is. Reminds me of the old WCHA men's conference, and I suppose it's simply the WCHA.

Late in the St Cloud State game, a blatent trip tried to take her down. And then came a whopper "take out" on Murphy that took her out of the game with what appeared to be a concussion, a five minute major penalty against St Cloud.

Murphy was down on the ice a long time after the monster hit, pun intended.

IMMEDIATELY OFF THE FACE-OFF.

1702043891000.png

1702043927425.png

She was down on the ice a long time.

Unfortunately, it paid off for the Huskies. Abbey Murphy never was able to come back into the game. Gophers could not score on the power play. Huskies have one of the best defenses in the NCAA, and they know that to gamble with.

And the questionable officiating this season with Abbey Murphy continued earlier in the game.

Earlier in the game she was clearly tripped. The tripping penalty was called on St Cloud State. And at the same time they sent Murphy to the box for embellishment. What?!?

Yea, so it's open targeting of Murphy, the NCAA scoring leader.

The Gophers are bigger than other teams and physical -- but not like that.

In the Ohio State game (see previous post), tOSU actually wrestling mugged the Gophers goaltender Skylar Vetter blatently and the refs let the action flow why the mugging happened.

Anyway...

Bring on the Badgers!

resize.jpg

1702044331042.png

Peyton Hemp
1702044376690.png

Last edited:

Abbey takes a dumb penalty and now it's gonna be a blowout. Knew this was gonna happen sooner or later.

GOPHERS DEFEAT BADGERS 5-3

FB_IMG_1702088941002.jpg

What a game! Action packed. I would check out the replay if you didn't see the game.

Gophers were a real show today and a fiesty battle from a strong Wisconsin team that got physical often. Too many to mention, I'll maybe come back to it.

Fantastic hockey.

20231208_201650.jpg

They play again tomorrow at 2 pm at Ridder Arena at U of M campus.

Also on TV.

2023_12_09_WIS_at_UMN_949x316.png

Last edited:

GOPHERS DEFEAT BADGERS 5-3

What a game! Action packed. I would check out the replay if you didn't see the game.

Lots of minutes in the penalty box. You really need to see the game if you missed it. Too much to mention but some quick thoughts.

Defender Nelli Laitinen took a nice pass from Ava Lindsay and then quickly unleashed a rocket from the blue line that hit the upper corner of the net for a score. She's done that a few times this season. Blam! Rocket to the upper corner.

1702125439001.png

Forward Abbey Murphy, wow. You really need to see her play in person. Several times in the game she made magic happen. All of a sudden, game flow abruptly shifts when she gets the puck and races down the ice fast. She had an unassisted score that was pretty impressive. See her play while you can.

Abbey Murphy's 100th career goal -- unassisted -- at this link:

1702129287135.png
1702129392931.png

Murphy is a bit of a showboat. She scores and then gives body language of, "Ta da!" Her signature "brag" move is to slide with one knee across the ice and arms in the air. And she has a confident swag to her overall game. I can see maybe why teams are extra rough with her.

1702125903013.png

Gophers continued the goalie rotation by starting Lucy Morgan, and it paid off. Strong outing for Morgan, Coach Frost obviously having confidence in her in this big game.

Gophers defense flows so well most of the time, with occasional mishaps. Overall great gaps and penalty kill most of the time. A great job surviving attacks from the elite Wisconsin shooters -- and with Gophers players spending significant time in the box.

Abbey Murphy was goaded on one play. She was cross checked in the back -- not called -- and then she retaliated, getting sent to the box for a 5:00 minute major. They called it a slash but was more of a shove from her.

Lots of scuffles, fights starting to break out. Smashing players along the boards.

Lots of stuff not called. Here is what was:

1702126082917.png

They called a trip to one player and an embellishment to the other, again, sending a message. This time the embellishment to a Wisconsin player.

Big win for Coach Brad Frost. Impressive how this team has slowly gelled together.

1702126247127.png

Facebook and X (formerly Twitter) had lots of game video snips:

Last edited:

Gophers games can be seen on Big +.

You can also listen to all games for free via streaming audio. The announcers are good, an entertaining show to listen to. Just go to the Gophers schedule and click the audio icon for that game.

1702138033265.png

WCHA website has game and conference news:

The Rink Live covers women's hockey:

The Hockey News covers the main stories of college women's hockey:

In case I didn't mention this, or it deserves repeating, Eva Lindsay this last week was WCHA Rookie of the Week:

1702138152142.png

And social media offers original content:

1702138561382.png

End of the 2nd period. This is quite the game. I would watch it.

Gophers took a 1-0 lead when Josefin Bouveng got loose open solo to the goal and scored.

A physical game.

Things seemed to be going Gophers way. They had a 5 on 3.

One of the Badger players came out of the box and to the bench. Out from the bench came Lacy Eden who skated up and stole the puck. And then at high speed raced down the ice, could not be caught, and scored shorthanded. I admit, a brilliant play by her.

And then later a brilliant goal by Kelly Gorbatenko close at the net.

Wisconsin up 2-1.

Both these teams are high powered with some having extreme speed. And a physical.game.

At one point Wisconsin committed a 2 minute roughing penalty. The refs called that plus for each team another roughing penalty, probably to try and get the game under control. The last few stretches of hockey have been more open now.

Last edited:

Special teams, special teams, special team. 5-on-3 and still gave up a shortie. Feels like another split job.

Minnesota-Wisconsin split the series. That's probably about right for these two teams at #2 and #3.

Wisconsin's shooting was ace sharp today. Minnesota had chances.

Last edited:

UMD and St Cloud State fight for #4 spot in WCHA conference.

1702761236525.png

WCHA Final Faceoff tournament tickets on sale now:

024 Kwik Trip WCHA Final Faceoff Information Center

The 2024 Kwik Trip WCHA Final Faceoff will be held March 8-9, 2024 at Ridder Arena in Minneapolis. Annually featuring a collection of the nation's highest-ranked programs and best players, the WCHA's four remaining teams will compete for the league's playoff championship and an automatic berth in the 2024 NCAA tournament.

Friday, March 8, 2024
Semifinal Game 1 – 1:00 p.m. CT
Semifinal Game 2 – 4:30 p.m. CT

Saturday, March 9, 2023
Championship Game (Semifinal 1 Winner vs. Semifinal 2 Winner) – 2 p.m. CT

All games will stream live on B1G+. Tickets can be purchased online HERE, in-person at the Ridder Arena Box Office, or by phone at 1-800-U-GOPHER. All tickets purchased in advance will be issued electronically.

The WCHA thanks 2024 Final Faceoff supporting partners Kwik Trip, Cub, Two Men and a Truck, Howies Hockey Tape, Krampade, JLG, and Sterling Trophy.

About Ridder Arena
The first-ever facility built specifically for women's hockey in the country, Ridder Arena is home to the seven-time national champion University of Minnesota Golden Gopher Women's Hockey Program. Since its opening in 2002, Ridder Arena has been a regular host of WCHA Championships (2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2024), NCAA Regionals and Frozen Fours (2010, 2013 and 2015).

Western Collegiate Hockey Association

Jordan Menard at NCAA women's hockey gives her midseason power rankings:

1702766956818.png

Clarkson is "still undefeated," Menard points out. I think Colgate may be worthy of #4. The top 3 spots are WCHA teams.

"With the midseason holiday break now upon us in women's college hockey, a clear upper crust has formed around Ohio State, Minnesota and Wisconsin, leading the way in NCAA Digital's Jordan Menard's latest Power 5 rankings for the third consecutive week....

2. Minnesota (Previous: 2)​

Competing for the best of the rest in the WCHA, Minnesota's meeting with Wisconsin proved little, with each team claiming a decisive victory in a weekend split. The Gophers, undefeated in nine games entering Friday, flexed their muscle first, erasing an early deficit and scoring four unanswered goals in 25 minutes to build a 5-2 lead before conceding a consolation goal. Minnesota's fine form continued early Saturday, snatching a 1-0 lead to start the second period, but Wisconsin would finally rediscover its early season offensive potency — a Lacey Eden brace sparked five straight for the Badgers, cruising to victory 5-1.

The Gophers enjoy a chance to tune up for the aforementioned bout against Ohio State, hosting Connecticut Jan. 5-6....

5. Colgate (Previous: 4)​

...Neena Brick terrorized Orange defenders early and often, notching a hat trick after just 22 minutes and ultimately finishing with four goals and an assist — Brick is now the only player in the country with multiple four-goal games this season..."

Last edited:

SHGopher: I am not sure what you mean by the first time---

Next season the Gophers for the first time have Canadian players coming. Goaltender Hannah Clark and defender Gracia Graham play for Team Canada.

The Gophers recently have had Amanda Leveille from Quebec and Sarah and Amy Potomak from British Columbia. They were excellent players and rank highly in all-time statistical categories. My long-term knowledge of Gopher Women's hockey is limited and I might be forgetting another/other Canadian Gophers.

SHGopher: I am not sure what you mean by the first time---

Next season the Gophers for the first time have Canadian players coming. Goaltender Hannah Clark and defender Gracia Graham play for Team Canada.

The Gophers recently have had Amanda Leveille from Quebec and Sarah and Amy Potomak from British Columbia. They were excellent players and rank highly in all-time statistical categories. My long-term knowledge of Gopher Women's hockey is limited and I might be forgetting another/other Canadian Gophers.

Thanks for that. I will delete that. I didn't know they were recruited into freshman. And thanks for posting on this thread too.

Several current Gophers play/played for national teams at various age teams including many for Team USA, Finland, Sweden and Hungary. Basically, the entire Gophers team is elite and most compete for medals, like a dozen players.

Nellie Laitinen (Finland National) and Skylar Vetter (USA U18)
1703944628933.png

Next season the Gophers have two players coming in who played with Team Canada.

Hannah Clark
1703944768273.png

Gracie Graham
1703944875241.png

Gophers also have other players coming next season including Kendra Distad of Minnetonka and Team USA.

The Gophers have no current players on Team Canada or from Canada. Recent Gophers Sarah Potomak and Amy Potomak played for Team Canada.

1703945012001.png1703945175072.png

Then phenom Chloe Primerano joins the Gophers in two seasons. She's 16.

Primerano is off to a historic start, having already broke the record, set last season by herself, for goals in a season by a defensemen with 21. In just 11 games this season Primerano has 39 points, with 17 goals and 15 assists coming in 9 games in the month of October. The Vancouver, BC defender was the first ever female skater selected in a CHL Draft when the Vancouver Giants took her in the 13th round, 268th overall at the 2022 WHL Draft.

The theme of this post is that the current Gophers have lots of national team hockey players. I had named every current player I thought competed in medal-eligible action. I'm not going to repeat that list I assembled because I might flub it up.

Basically, the entire Gophers team is elite and most compete for medals.

Some elite players are coming to this team the next two years from Canada. I wasn't thinking about the past but should have in what I wrote.

And so check out the Ohio State game coming up. Tickets are cheap. It's a display of elite player for both teams.

#1 versus #2. Elite talent on ice. If you've never been to a game, go to MN-Ohio State this January:

1703945862364.png

Last edited:

Abbey Murphy was named WCHA Forward of the Month for the second consecutive month. Way to go, Abbey!

Ava Lindsay was named WCHA Rookie of the month! Congrats, Ava!

1704233341638.png

1704233388809.png

1704233430998.png

The No. 2 Gophers women's hockey team scored three times in the third period to pull away for a 5-3 victory over No. 11 Connecticut on Friday at Ridder Arena.

Abbey Murphy had a goal — her 22nd of the season — and two assists for the Gophers, who were playing for the first time since Dec. 9.

The score was tied 2-2 after two periods before Audrey Wethington and Madeline Wethington each scored in a three-minute span midway through the final period for the Gophers. The Huskies, who were playing for the first time since Dec. 2, got within 4-3 on a goal by Megan Woodworth with 7:37 remaining, but Peyton Hemp restored the Gophers' two-goal lead with a power-play goal with 3:37 to go.

The Gophers (15-3-1) trailed 2-1 late in second period before Maggie Nicholson's goal with 48 seconds left in the period tied the score. Nicholson's goal came 63 seconds after UConn (11-5-2) scored with one second left on their power play to make it 2-1.

Madeline Wethington broke the tie with 11:41 left in the third period before Audrey Wethington made it 4-2 with 8:45 remaining.

The teams, who met just one time previously (Oct. 5, 2005 — a 3-0 Gophers victory at home) will conclude the series at 2 p.m. Saturday.

20240106_141327.jpg

I wish they would have scheduled the PWHL home opener at a different time, about the same time as the Gophers game. That probably cost attendance for both teams.

Attendance is expected to be over 10,000.

Taylor Heise on overhead TV now.

Yesterday's game was exciting and competitive. The Gophers were rusty and had poor passing, especially in the first period. However, I felt like the Gophers had an extra gear or another level that UConn did not have. The suspense was when are they going to kick it up a notch. Great to get the win. UConn played hard and well.

Yesterday's game was exciting and competitive. The Gophers were rusty and had poor passing, especially in the first period. However, I felt like the Gophers had an extra gear or another level that UConn did not have. The suspense was when are they going to kick it up a notch. Great to get the win. UConn played hard and well.

Former Gopher great Grace Zumwinkle with a hat trick!

Minnesota wins 3-0 over powerhouse Montreal. Attendance over 13,000!

20240106_165851.jpg

20240106_170353.jpg

Last edited:

It's a big day for Minnesota women and girls in hockey!

1704589296409.png

Grace Zumwinkle scored a hat trick
1704589385627.png

------------

---------

1704590677034.png

Last edited:

Gophers women's hockey sweeps No. 11 Connecticut with 3-1 victory​

Skylar Vetter had 23 saves and Ella Huber assisted on two goals as the second-ranked Gophers women's hockey team defeated No. 11 Connecticut 3-1 on Saturday at Ridder Arena.

"A really good weekend for us," Gophers coach Brad Frost said. "Getting a sweep over a really good UConn team who is very good out east. They are really tough to play against, but I'm proud of our team for sticking with it."

Huber assisted on goals by Madeline Wethington and Josefin Bouveng as the Gophers (16-3-1) opened a 2-0 lead in the second period. Lauren O'Hara's goal with 13 minutes, 21 seconds remaining in second period extended the Gophers' lead to 3-0..

View attachment 29389

I wish they would have scheduled the PWHL home opener at a different time, about the same time as the Gophers game. That probably cost attendance for both teams.

Attendance is expected to be over 10,000.

Taylor Heise on overhead TV now.
Was it gonna make a difference anyway? I don't know if it's just the camera angles, but everytime I watch them there's always huge sections without anyone sitting in them. I would love for them to get the same support the men are getting.

Top Bottom