With 15 now on the roster

My goodness, Howdy. You have proclaimed Fox can’t play due to his old injury. The new roster lists him at 6’8” and 210 pounds. Even Betts is 5 pounds bigger. A 210 B1G center? You desperately want us winless just to fire CBJ.
If the Warriors can win NBA championships with Draymond Green (6'6"" 230#) as their #1 big, a 6'8" 210# big can be a backup big in the Big10.

If the Warriors can win NBA championships with Draymond Green (6'6"" 230#) as their #1 big, a 6'8" 210# big can be a backup big in the Big10.
Odd comparison. Green was a phenomenal rebounder and superior athlete playing with the best shooter of all time and Klay Thompson. Fox has blown out both knees and never guarded a legit Big Ten post player outside of Payne in practice I assume.

Odd comparison. Green was a phenomenal rebounder and superior athlete playing with the best shooter of all time and Klay Thompson. Fox has blown out both knees and never guarded a legit Big Ten post player outside of Payne in practice I assume.
I think the point was size doesn't always matter. Bottom line is Fox will likely be our best option at backup center if healthy. Wilson being our primary backup at center is a larger concern than Fox being undersized. Remember Dan Ogele? I think he is comparable to what we will get from Wilson.

If Parker Fox can play, there's zero reason he can't be the back-up center.
He’s 6’8” and 210 pounds. He’s also never played center. Those are a few good reasons.

Garcia will guard the 5 well before Fox will.

Last edited:

I think the point was size doesn't always matter. Bottom line is Fox will likely be our best option at backup center if healthy. Wilson being our primary backup at center is a larger concern than Fox being undersized. Remember Dan Ogele? I think he is comparable to what we will get from Wilson.
I got his point. Fox is gonna get bullied down low ala Treyton Thompson. At least Wilson should be strong enough with some lateral quickness to hold his ground against guys like Cockburn.

He’s 6’8” and 210 pounds. He’s also never played center. Those are a few good reasons.

Garcia, Fox, Wilson or Payne....the point is that we have the 5 covered.

Garcia, Fox, Wilson or Payne....the point is that we have the 5 covered.
Besides, Fox's lack of experience on offense at the 5 will not hurt him defending the 5.

We're talking 10 minutes per game. He has great leaping ability and won't shoot outside the paint. I'd rather use him than Wilson in most match ups.

We're talking 10 minutes per game. He has great leaping ability and won't shoot outside the paint. I'd rather use him than Wilson in most match ups.
He had great leaping ability. We've never seen either play in their current physical state.

Ihnen should be in the 3,4,5 discussion. We are deep and versatile.

The Fox advantage is his head. He is aggressive and tough. But that means a lot of fouling on B1G size centers. We can’t substitute so that it allows teams to go on a run.

well, I believe the team does have coaches, who theoretically can look at the matchups and move players around.

in other words, if Fox winds up facing a brute who is muscling him, the coaches can make a substitution; change Fox's defensive assignment; or switch defenses (i.e. go from man-to-man to a zone....)

all of these things are - to the best of my knowledge - within the rules of the game.

so this idea that "Fox would get stuck in a bad matchup......" is - I humbly suggest - a bit of an overstatement.

any player can get stuck in a bad matchup. that doesn't mean that the team is unable to do anything about it.

well, I believe the team does have coaches, who theoretically can look at the matchups and move players around.

in other words, if Fox winds up facing a brute who is muscling him, the coaches can make a substitution; change Fox's defensive assignment; or switch defenses (i.e. go from man-to-man to a zone....)

all of these things are - to the best of my knowledge - within the rules of the game.

so this idea that "Fox would get stuck in a bad matchup......" is - I humbly suggest - a bit of an overstatement.

any player can get stuck in a bad matchup. that doesn't mean that the team is unable to do anything about it.
We must have been watching a different Wisconsin game last year. Zero adjustments defending Crowl and he walked all over us for 40 minutes.

all of these things are

We must have been watching a different Wisconsin game last year. Zero adjustments defending Crowl and he walked all over us for 40 minutes.
Coaches can only make the adjustments that the team's personnel is capable of executing.
Henley, Battle, Cooper, Thompson, etc., couldn't execute the defensive adjustments that this year's team is capable of executing. Good players make coaches better. Coaches can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit!

Coaches can only make the adjustments that the team's personnel is capable of executing.
Henley, Battle, Cooper, Thompson, etc., couldn't execute the defensive adjustments that this year's team is capable of executing. Good players make coaches better. Coaches can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit!
Did I forget Samuels, Purcell and Ramberg?
Maybe one of those guys could have bottled up Crowl.

I think he has for next season.
It was difficult to recruit a completely new team in one or two years when everyone bailed out when Pitino left.
I think he has for next year too, but if Wilson isn't serviceable then we will again find ourselves in the bottom four. I agree he was put in a tough spot but his inability to develop any kind of depth is on him.

If Parker Fox can play, there's zero reason he can't be the back-up center.
Against most teams I would agree, off the top of my head Illinois, Wisconsin, and Purdue would make it very tough on Fox guarding the post.

Against most teams I would agree, off the top of my head Illinois, Wisconsin, and Purdue would make it very tough on Fox guarding the post.
OUR 5 has to make it hard on all the teams we play. We shouldn’t worry about them. Think like a winner.

I'm much more up on Wilson than most. IMO he's going to be our Kofi Cockburn that can bang with the big bodies. A four-star player out of high school that's now focused totally on basketball vs football. I'm looking for him to be a solid contributor.
I’ve done a deep dive on Wilson and that is why I am an optimist. He was wildly successful in HS. All those kids are projecting NBA careers at that point. Another super frosh beat him out at Oregon. Immature and mentally crushed he quite the team after only 7 games. He bounced around Idaho and Washington State never regaining his high level of potential. He has grown up and is here for redemption. He is helping build the team and I think is ready for quality minutes behind Payne. I’ll stop here because of the ‘hole audience. On and off the court Wilson will be a player to the Gopher turnaround. CBJ knew what he was doing when he brought Wilson in. I think even the most negative of you will admit this before too far into the season. He had/has immense potentional. Payne will need great backup if we are to reach our teams potential.

There is a reason. Winning games.

Won't be worse than Thompson
Yes, by every statistical measure, he was way worse than Thompson. Statistically, Thompson is closer to All Big than Wilson is to Thompson.

Wilson, so far in his career, has been so much worse than Thompson it’s almost hard to even wrap your head around it.

Every single team in every single instance, the other guys over 6’7” on our team would be a better option than Wilson.

Payne should play 25 to 30 minutes we hope. Wilson is the only other center. It is our weakest position.

Garcia started at "center" all season last year.

If Payne gets in foul trouble, then Garcia moves to the 5, and Ola-Joseph/Fox/Ihnen can easily play the 4. Wilson will likely play sparingly.

Garcia started at "center" all season last year.

If Payne gets in foul trouble, then Garcia moves to the 5, and Ola-Joseph/Fox/Ihnen can easily play the 4. Wilson will likely play sparingly.
Cool! A repeat from last year. 2 win conference record. Let’s do that again.

Top Bottom