With 15 now on the roster

The SF Rock

Banned
Reaction score
Who does not compete for 20 minutes a game. Does not.

I’m saying, Reader, Purcell, Keinys, Ramberg, and Wilson. That leaves us with 10 potential starters. I hope there are surprises in there.

Payne should play 25 to 30 minutes we hope. Wilson is the only other center. It is our weakest position.

Payne should play 25 to 30 minutes we hope. Wilson is the only other center. It is our weakest position.
I know, that was the issue with the Wilson signing in the first place. I predict we will be playing small when Payne is not in the game if Ben intends on playing the best players.

I know, that was the issue with the Wilson signing in the first place. I predict we will be playing small when Payne is not in the game if Ben intends on playing the best players.
Depends on the competion, rebounding was a huge weakness last year, I think he may get more playing time than people think.

If they let us start 10 guys I say we win every game, unless we schedule Alabama.
That's when Ben says "Up your's, Bama! We'll just kick your ass with 3 on the floor."

Or I could be off a little on that...................

Payne will control his own playing time by controlling his fouling. last year he was 5th in average minutes played among the regulars, but led the team in committing the most personal fouls.

If he is sitting on the bench with 2 fouls after 6 of 7 minutes of playing time, that throws the whole rotation out of whack - forcing the team to go small, or play Wilson major minutes.

He has to be smart on defense. there are times when it's better to give up 2 points as opposed to committing a foul.

I’m saying, Reader, Purcell, Keinys, Ramberg, and Wilson. That leaves us with 10 potential starters. I hope there are surprises in there.
All four guards will get more than 20 minutes due to three-guard lineup at times. That means JJ and Betts will both get less than 20 minutes unless JJ gets that much as a basketball nickle back guy who fills in at 4 and 5 also when we play zone defense.

As Betts develops it would lead more to two guards and him at 3. Ihnen will back up Garcia and the 3 spot. Fox and Jack spell Payne, depending on the opponent.

Hard to keep JOJ off the court. Others too. Ihnen, Fox, Carrington, Christie and more. What do you do with so many 3 point shooters? At least 4 that shoot 45% from 3.

Last edited:

Consider me Team Wilson. I'm gonna say he averages 10 minutes, 2 pts, 2 rebounds, 3 fouls.
If he could that off while somehow breaking 40% FG, it'd be a drastic improvement for him. He'll also likely give up 8 in that time.

I'm much more up on Wilson than most. IMO he's going to be our Kofi Cockburn that can bang with the big bodies. A four-star player out of high school that's now focused totally on basketball vs football. I'm looking for him to be a solid contributor.

This is just nuts!! We can’t even fill the roster, and honestly 2 are coming back from major injuries hoping they will be 90% of what they were?!?!? Uff.

Payne will be a Beast! He will get smarter with the fouls….. Long Arms, Aggreisve, Ideally, would be nice to improve FT % 5-10%.……. that is a weakness. Really solid real B1G 10 Player!

BTW. — Non–Conf schedule is super, super weak……. like really bad,…..

Payne will control his own playing time by controlling his fouling. last year he was 5th in average minutes played among the regulars, but led the team in committing the most personal fouls.

If he is sitting on the bench with 2 fouls after 6 of 7 minutes of playing time, that throws the whole rotation out of whack - forcing the team to go small, or play Wilson major minutes.

He has to be smart on defense. there are times when it's better to give up 2 points as opposed to committing a foul.
You are right on the $$ there!! Great points!! Agree, agree.

45% is ELITE, we'll be happy if we get 4 or more high volume at 35%+.
Last year. Hawkins 46.6%. Mitchell 44%. Last 5 games Carrington shot 50%. Christie may be the best of them. Garcia a lowly 36%. Betts will be an elite 3 point shooter as well. There are more but all but Garcia and Carrington are new to the team. This projects well for us.

If Parker Fox can play, there's zero reason he can't be the back-up center.
My goodness, Howdy. You have proclaimed Fox can’t play due to his old injury. The new roster lists him at 6’8” and 210 pounds. Even Betts is 5 pounds bigger. A 210 B1G center? You desperately want us winless just to fire CBJ.

Top Bottom