Will the Gophers have a 2022 NFL Draft bonanza?

NFL Mock Draft Database has Fa'alele going in the second round and Boye Mafe in the sixth. Andries, Pinckney, and Otomewo are listed as UDFAs.

SB Nation write-up about Fa'alele:

With February just around the corner, the NFL Draft is fast approaching. My gut tells me two Gophers are almost a certainty to get drafted. I still see a possibility of more players drafted in the later rounds. The question is how many?

Daniel Fa'alele
Boye Mafe

Ko Kieft
Blaise Andries
Esezi Otomewo
Jack Gibbens
Nyles Pinckney
Coney Durr

Sam Schlueter
Conner Olson
Andries should be top 5 rounds I think?!

NFL Mock Draft Database has Fa'alele going in the second round and Boye Mafe in the sixth. Andries, Pinckney, and Otomewo are listed as UDFAs.

SB Nation write-up about Fa'alele:
Boye Mafe will not last until the 6th round. I suspect that he jumps up after Senior Bowl week.

Andries should be top 5 rounds I think?!
I think his versatility to play guard or tackle will serve him well. NFL rosters are always looking for this type of player to fill their roster.

It will be interesting to see where guys grade out draft wise once we get past all the pre-draft all star games, combine, and pro days.

Faalele and Mafe are the two locks to hear there names called it would seem, but won't be shocked if some others end up getting drafted as well.

It will be interesting to see where guys grade out draft wise once we get past all the pre-draft all star games, combine, and pro days.

Faalele and Mafe are the two locks to hear there names called it would seem, but won't be shocked if some others end up getting drafted as well.
I would call Andries a lock as well, and would think Otomewo will have a strong combine that will likely lock him in… and I think the combine will be important for a handful of other guys!

I'll set the O/U at 5 and I'll take the over.

The entire OL has a chance to be drafted.

I was bullish before this season started, but I'm not sure I'd take the over now. I think it'll still be close to 5 though. This is how I see it today.

Locks:
Fa'alele - Rounds 1 - 2
Mafe - Rounds 2 - 4
Otomewo - Rounds 3 - 5
Andries - Rounds 4 - 7

Fringe:
Durr - Rounds 6 - UDFA
Olson - Rounds 7 - UDFA
Schlueter - Rounds 7 - UDFA
Kieft - Rounds 7 - UDFA

Gibbens - UDFA
Pickney - UDFA

I'm going with six drafted. Mafe shouldn't last past the third. I think Durr has the experience and ability that a team will grab him on the third day.

I was bullish before this season started, but I'm not sure I'd take the over now. I think it'll still be close to 5 though. This is how I see it today.

Locks:
Fa'alele - Rounds 1 - 2
Mafe - Rounds 2 - 4
Otomewo - Rounds 3 - 5
Andries - Rounds 4 - 7

Fringe:
Durr - Rounds 6 - UDFA
Olson - Rounds 7 - UDFA
Kieft - Rounds 7 - UDFA

Gibbens - UDFA
Pickney - UDFA
If anyone lets Gibbens anywhere the practice field he'll be on a roster next year. Lot of value in a guy who can play STs and be lb insurance.

If anyone lets Gibbens anywhere the practice field he'll be on a roster next year. Lot of value in a guy who can play STs and be lb insurance.
Gibbens absolutely comes across as the type of player who will find his way onto a roster somewhere. May never be a starter or star at the next level but there is still lots of value in those guys that are on the fringe.

Locks:
Fa'alele - Rounds 1 - 2
Mafe - Rounds 2 - 4
Otomewo - Rounds 3 - 5
Andries - Rounds 4 - 7

Fringe:
Durr - Rounds 6 - UDFA
Olson - Rounds 7 - UDFA
Kieft - Rounds 7 - UDFA

Gibbens - UDFA
Pickney - UDFA
I mean before the season you’d likely have included CRAB, Mo, and maybe Tanner… so a lot of other guys actually stepped up!

I mean before the season you’d likely have included CRAB, Mo, and maybe Tanner… so a lot of other guys actually stepped up!

I think those guys will all be fringe picks or UDFA. Size and speed are the big limitations for all of them, plus arm strength for Morgan.

I thought John Michael Schmitz would leave for the NFL. He's also a lock to be picked after next season.

Locks:
Fa'alele - Rounds 1 - 2
Mafe - Rounds 2 - 4
Otomewo - Rounds 3 - 5
Andries - Rounds 4 - 7

Fringe:
Durr - Rounds 6 - UDFA
Olson - Rounds 7 - UDFA
Kieft - Rounds 7 - UDFA

Gibbens - UDFA
Pickney - UDFA
Good summary. A lot depends on workouts, but I really think Andries gets picked. He's played across the line and the pros really value that.

I also think Kieft finds a way onto a roster. Mercedes Lewis can run all day in a shoebox and he's managed to stick around for 16 seasons with much of his career really centering almost solely on his blocking ability. If Kieft can show the ability to catch the ball with consistency (not being asked to do that much for us), he's got a real shot. You don't see blockers like him around that much.

I think those guys will all be fringe picks or UDFA. Size and speed are the big limitations for all of them, plus arm strength for Morgan.

I thought John Michael Schmitz would leave for the NFL. He's also a lock to be picked after next season.
Mo would have been a lock without injury (and still think CRAB goes late next year). I think Mo will have to have a big year to even go like 5th round post injury though (unless he tests a lot faster on his 40 than I’m assuming he’ll be).

Gibbens absolutely comes across as the type of player who will find his way onto a roster somewhere. May never be a starter or star at the next level but there is still lots of value in those guys that are on the fringe.
1643670287887.png

I think Blaise would be coming back for another year of MN football if he didn't have a good sense that he was going to be drafted this year. Excited to see combine numbers and senior bowl reports for these two.

Top Bottom