Who will replace Saban?

Bama fans about to get a rude awakening. Saban was the best ever imo. Not disrespectful of DeBoer at all. He’s won everywhere he’s coached but Alabama is a different beast.

I agree with you. I’m not sure who you’re arguing with.

What I’m saying is If that’s the best he has done and it’s the end of year 5, then the next time he goes 9-3 he is fired. Kind of like how Ryan day will get fired if Ohio state goes 9-3 next year.
Ryan Day goes 9 and 3 next year....they may turn down the bowl bid.

I was hoping this wouldn’t happen. I don’t know if Washington made a counter offer or not. It will be interesting to follow the next couple days.

I was hoping this wouldn’t happen. I don’t know if Washington made a counter offer or not. It will be interesting to follow the next couple days.
From what I’ve heard they made quite the counter offer. Not enough I guess.

Because coaches who have been as successful as DeBoer want the challenge of being at the top job in the country. Expectations will always be sky high, but it's also easier to recruit to and win at Alabama over pretty much any other job in the country.

DeBoer is an excellent coach, and if and there is minimal regression from Saban, he will have that job and be taken care of for the rest of his career.
Disagree with this second paragraph a lot.
If he goes 0-24 he will be taken care of the rest of his career.
Signing one contract takes care of you. He already had that and didn’t get it from Bama

Washington is willing to double his salary (apparently) with an incredible amount of job security.

At Bama, ff DeBoer has a couple 3 loss seasons, he'll likely be canned.
Heck, the minute they lose A game, the pitchforks will be out.

But, Washington is joining the Big Ten. They have a lot of long flights to play a game.
Alabama can dang near bus to their opponents.
I think this mileage thing is way over played. Before I retired, I'd fly from PDX to Newark, leaving my office at noon, catch a 1 pm flight arrive in Newark around 9:30PM. Next day I'd have 9 am, 11am, 1pm and 3 pm meetings in Manhattan, then I'd catch a 6 PM flight out of Newark back to Portland and be home around 9 PM. I also did the occasional one day round tripper to Dallas for a meeting or two.

I think this mileage thing is way over played. Before I retired, I'd fly from PDX to Newark, leaving my office at noon, catch a 1 pm flight arrive in Newark around 9:30PM. Next day I'd have 9 am, 11am, 1pm and 3 pm meetings in Manhattan, then I'd catch a 6 PM flight out of Newark back to Portland and be home around 9 PM. I also did the occasional one day round tripper to Dallas for a meeting or two.
Well, we are all different. Lots of angst and research about sports teams traveling across time zones.
I know this, I flew from Minneapolis to Chicago, Chicago to Indianapolis, bused to Bloomington to watch the Gophers beat Indiana in 1997. Got back on the bus to Indianapolis to sleep over night.
Got up early to catch a flight to Chicago. Chicago to Minneapolis. I was so tired the next day I could barely navigate through the day....let alone practice or play a game.
Game in 1997
I definitely believe it is a factor in performance.

Heck, the minute they lose A game, the pitchforks will be out.
I agree with all this. Following a legend is tough, just ask those coached at Alabama post Bear Bryant. Only one of those guys left unscathed until Saban. I forgot his name but he was an old timer Bama - NFL guy, he won a big bowl game in the early 90s then got out pretty quick.. The rest all got overwhelmed. Possibly the 1992 National Championship.

edit.. Gene Stallings

Even if the top SEC teams do recruit nationally, there is a real "southern" bias and mentality. Just ask that competent former Boise State coach Bryan Harsin. The poor guy got run out of town on a rail at Auburn after only two years. They never gave him a chance to to get it done. Being from the Northwest made him a cultural outlier, and short of winning big, he was cooked. PJ Fleck, probably would not get over the hill in some of these places, no matter what he did. The fans are the issue as much as anything.

Had I been a Sioux Falls guy like DeBoer, that Harsin situation would have been a red flag but If I had high, 10M a year income, living in Seattle would be a draw to me relative to Alabama.

It is not a mystery as to why Kalen Deboer took the job. He got paid, and he gets to test himself at the highest level. If it does not work out, Purdue, UCLA, Arizona St or NC State (some p4 team willing to upgragde) will take shot and pay him a lot to start over in three or four years.

For me at least, if UW was going to get pretty close in pay, I would have skipped all the SEC drama and stayed in Seattle, but the guy probably made the right call, even if not my call.

Last edited:

I agree with all this. Following a legend is tough, just ask those coached at Alabama post Bear Bryant. Only one of those guys left unscathed until Saban. I forgot his name but he was an old timer Bama - NFL guy, he won a big bowl game in the early 90s then got out pretty quick.. The rest all got overwhelmed. Possibly the 1992 National Championship.

edit.. Gene Stallings

Even if the top SEC teams do recruit nationally, there is a real "southern" bias and mentality. Just ask that competent former Boise State coach Bryan Harsin. The poor guy got run out of town on a rail at Auburn after only two years. They never gave him a chance to to get it done. Being from the Northwest made him a cultural outlier, and short of winning big, he was cooked. PJ Fleck, probably would not get over the hill in some of these places, no matter what he did. The fans are the issue as much as anything.

Had I been a Sioux Falls guy like DeBoer, that Harsin situation would have been a red flag but If I had high, 10M a year income, living in Seattle would be a draw to me relative to Alabama.

It is not a mystery as to why Kalen Deboer took the job. He got paid, and he gets to test himself at the highest level. If it does not work out, Purdue, UCLA, Arizona St or NC State (some p4 team willing to upgragde) will take shot and pay him a lot to start over in three or four years.

For me at least, if UW was going to get pretty close in pay, I would have skipped all the SEC drama and stayed in Seattle, but the guy probably made the right call, even if not

edit.. Gene Stallings

For me at least, if UW was going to get pretty close in pay, I would have skipped all the SEC drama and stayed in Seattle, but the guy probably made the right call, even if not my call.

edit.. Gene Stallings

Bill Curry had a descent run, but the microscope was so large he fled to Kentucky. That is telling. I'm with you, I'd stay in the PNW, especially if they doubled my salary, but you know how competitive coaches are. He seems like a straight up guy, hope they don't Bryan Harsin him.

The difference between your trip and the Gophers trip is that they will be on a charter and I think it's a little over one hour flight from Minneapolis to Bloomington. That's a very short flight.

Washington needs a head coach.
A movie just came out about Washington student-athletes rowing a boat…

PJ to Washington confirmed???

Just realize even the goat Saban couldn’t succeed in the B1G. Maybe DeBoer saw that the B1G is much tougher and chose the easier route to the SEC

I think mileage is a bigger deal in sports that are multiple games a week against different opponents.

Hoops to me is the biggest mileage pain in the butt.

What is the #1 job in your eyes?

I probably will get roasted but tOSU. Not this last season but overall, long-term. For this moment in time, probably Georgia or Oregon. From a tradition point of view, pick your preference (Alabama, Notre Dame, Etc). For that I'll go with Indiana -- to keep their doormat in the B1G tradition going, please ;)

How's that for straddling the question 3 ways. ;)

But Ohio State is the right answer.

"He (Miss St portal transfer QB Will Rogers) was the fifth Washington player to enter the transfer portal Friday, joining All-Pac-12 second team cornerback Jabbar Muhammad, safety Mishael Powell, linebacker Ethan Barr and tight end Tre Watson."

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...rs-transfer-portal-previous-washington-pledge

Sucks for Washington! If they were considered a top tier program in the B1G, this isn't happening. They are tier II. Kalen DeBoer and Michael Penix temporarily elevated them to tier I.

DeBoer was smart to take the Alabama job because he might never have this good a year again. He may have caught lightning in a bottle at Washington. He had a prior relationship that helped attract a once in a career quarterback, plus a senior laden team still benefiting from the Covid skip year, elevate the team's ceiling one year BEFORE the competition increases dramatically by entering the B1G.

He also won a ton of close games the results of which can often can swing wildly year-to-year. All of their last 10 games before the CFP championship were within 10 points and eight were within a touchdown. If they don't have the Heisman trophy runner up (best player on the field) and have a little less luck, it's easy to see four or five more losses. If that's the case, he does NOT get offered the Alabama job! Don't get me wrong, Kalen Deboer is obviously a great coach. There are a lot of those at the top level of college football however.

"He (Miss St portal transfer QB Will Rogers) was the fifth Washington player to enter the transfer portal Friday, joining All-Pac-12 second team cornerback Jabbar Muhammad, safety Mishael Powell, linebacker Ethan Barr and tight end Tre Watson."

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...rs-transfer-portal-previous-washington-pledge

Sucks for Washington! If they were considered a top tier program in the B1G, this isn't happening. They are tier II. Kalen DeBoer and Michael Penix temporarily elevated them to tier I.

DeBoer was smart to take the Alabama job because he might never have this good a year again. He may have caught lightning in a bottle at Washington. He had a prior relationship that helped attract a once in a career quarterback, plus a senior laden team still benefiting from the Covid skip year, elevate the team's ceiling one year BEFORE the competition increases dramatically by entering the B1G.

He also won a ton of close games the results of which can often can swing wildly year-to-year. All of their last 10 games before the CFP championship were within 10 points and eight were within a touchdown. If they don't have the Heisman trophy runner up (best player on the field) and have a little less luck, it's easy to see four or five more losses. If that's the case, he does NOT get offered the Alabama job! Don't get me wrong, Kalen Deboer is obviously a great coach. There are a lot of those at the top level of college football however.

Just look at TCU now and LSU under Ed Orgeron. Both had a great season because everything aligned perfectly and then they fell off a cliff. Coach O lost his job two years after winning a natty. Fortunes can change quickly in CFB, especially at a school like Washington that isn’t a true blue blood so I think DeBoer made a solid gamble by taking the Alabama job. No guarantee it works out there but not guarantee it works out if he sticks at Washington either.

Gophers do not play Washington until 2026, so there' no immediate relief from this.

It's a blow to Washington and B1G.

1705169513201.png

Is anyone else a little surprised by this?

Bear Bryant: Born in Arkansas, died in Alabama.
Nick Saben: Born in West Virginia, likely lives out his life in Florida.
DeYankee: From South Dakota?

Look away, Dixieland.

Gophers do not play Washington until 2026, so there' no immediate relief from this.

It's a blow to Washington and B1G.

View attachment 29529

Is anyone else a little surprised by this?

Bear Bryant: Born in Arkansas, died in Alabama.
Nick Saben: Born in West Virginia, likely lives out his life in Florida.
DeYankee: From South Dakota?

Look away, Dixieland.
Huge relief, undefeated Mn won’t be left out of the big ten title game because of a 3 way tie that Washington is in now

Does Washington make a run at Johnathan Smith and bring him back to PNW where all his connections are before coaching a game at Michigan State

Huge relief, undefeated Mn won’t be left out of the big ten title game because of a 3 way tie that Washington is in now

And Washington now slips to the level of Iowa that Gophers have a shot at beating.

That would be 1-0 instead of 0-1.

Top Bottom