Who will replace Saban?

If Ryans would say yes, I don't think there would be any issue.

Bama boosters would have an issue with Locksley because he's been a HC for 10 seasons and never finished over .500 in conference.
Not to meantion that New Mexico stint with beating up an asst coache and the sexual harassment issue. Though, those things would have been overlooked if that team was winning.

There is little doubt that Alabama is THE job in college football coaching. My top 5:
1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Ohio State
4. Michigan
5. Texas

All of these schools are as well supported by their admin, NIL, boosters and fans as possible. All are recruiting giants.

So what is Alabama going for?
An old coach? Probably not, they can afford to get a younger established coach.
A current staff member? Doubtful, not enough clout to run this machine and maybe not the power to recruit.
A Saban protege? Possibly, it’s worked for years with his system.

So here are my top three that they want:
1. Kirby Smart - yes, Alabama thinks they can get anyone.
2. Lincoln Riley - yes, they would poach him if interested.
3. Steve Sarkisian

Coaches they won’t interview:
Dion
Harbaugh
Day
Franklin
PJ
the list goes on…..

So who do you think it will be?

I’d kind of like to see Pete Carrol back in college football or even better, Belicheat!
Following Saban is going to be really hard. If you don't win the SEC, you're a failure and you'll be on the "hot seat". Alabama is probably the best place to win a Naty, but it's also the place with the most pressure to win every game. There's something to be said for going to a place where 8-4 is fine, 9-3 is great, and 10-2 is elite. 10-2 isn't going to cut it for long at Bama.

Disagree. They were pretty much sucking until Nick came along. The coach really matters.
Basically a .500 team before Saban and didn't have a roster full of 5 and high 4 stars. LSU and Florida dominated the conference. He did upgrade the recruiting significantly, but coaching had a greater impact IMO.

Coach Deion can come in, flip half the roster, and finally turn these guys into winners!

Reading some posts on X, many Alabama fans sure would like Kiffin. I had no idea.

Is there a chance that Mike Tomlin (Steelers), could be flipped to coach Alabama? I haven't heard any talk about him leaving Steelers but they probably will lose to Buffalo this weekend.

Reading some posts on X, many Alabama fans sure would like Kiffin. I had no idea.
Everything I have seen/heard is that he's not even on the list and that the administration would have to strike out on 5-10 guys before they would even consider him. (I realize that doesn't mean that the fans on Twitter agree with that position.)

Basically a .500 team before Saban and didn't have a roster full of 5 and high 4 stars. LSU and Florida dominated the conference. He did upgrade the recruiting significantly, but coaching had a greater impact IMO.
Mike Shula had a 10 win season and made a cotton bowl.
Franchione had a 10 win season then quit
Mike Dubose had a 10 win season and made an orange bowl.

That’s all in the 10 seasons between national champion Stallings and national champion Saban. Some of those seasons they had postseason ban and scholarship reduction. 3 top 11 finishes. Ranked for at least one week 8 of those 10 seasons.

The year after Mason beat them in a bowl game, Alabama finished 8th in the country.

Is there a chance that Mike Tomlin (Steelers), could be flipped to coach Alabama? I haven't heard any talk about him leaving Steelers but they probably will lose to Buffalo this weekend.
I don't think so. Mike Tomlin has been in the NFL for a long time, I can't imagine he would want to pivot into recruiting, babysitting, and navigating NIL. He essentially would be going from the structure of the Steelers organization to the chaos of modern day college football. I don't think he'd do it.

Everything I have seen/heard is that he's not even on the list and that the administration would have to strike out on 5-10 guys before they would even consider him. (I realize that doesn't mean that the fans on Twitter agree with that position.)
I would be very surprised if he is not in their top five.

Mike Shula had a 10 win season and made a cotton bowl.
Franchione had a 10 win season then quit
Mike Dubose had a 10 win season and made an orange bowl.

That’s all in the 10 seasons between national champion Stallings and national champion Saban. Some of those seasons they had postseason ban and scholarship reduction. 3 top 11 finishes. Ranked for at least one week 8 of those 10 seasons.

The year after Mason beat them in a bowl game, Alabama finished 8th in the country.
They also had two 4 win, a 3 win, and the rest 6 or 7 win seasons. Averages close to .500 in that span to me.

Thamel reporting DeBoer to Alabama almost done. On the “cusp” he says.

Thamel reporting DeBoer to Alabama almost done. On the “cusp” he says.
I get why coaches chase jobs like Alabama.....but it just seems crazy to give up what is probably a really good high paying gig at a team joining the Big Ten to go to Alabama where the expectations will be through the roof and if you don't win right away they will want you fired because you will be following a legend.

I get why coaches chase jobs like Alabama.....but it just seems crazy to give up what is probably a really good high paying gig at a team joining the Big Ten to go to Alabama where the expectations will be through the roof and if you don't win right away they will want you fired because you will be following a legend.
Washington is willing to double his salary (apparently) with an incredible amount of job security.

At Bama, ff DeBoer has a couple 3 loss seasons, he'll likely be canned.

Plus, he's not an SEC guy is he? That's a different culture. Surprised by the offer to him and surprised he's going, if he is.

Yup. The season he just had at Washington gives him 5 years of grace

The season he just had if it was at Bama will get him fired in 3 years

Because coaches who have been as successful as DeBoer want the challenge of being at the top job in the country. Expectations will always be sky high, but it's also easier to recruit to and win at Alabama over pretty much any other job in the country.

DeBoer is an excellent coach, and if and there is minimal regression from Saban, he will have that job and be taken care of for the rest of his career.

Washington will be on their 4th different head coach in the last 6 seasons in 2024.

Time for the portal to fill with Washington and Bama players!

Disagree in the past. Agree moving forward

Much more competition at Bama than Washington. It is harder to go 13-0 at Bama than Washington.

Who cares about the past now. It will be easier to go 13-0 at Bama next year than it will be at Washington in the B1G. Plus coast to coast travel becomes a much bigger problem at Washington next year and beyond then it will be in the SEC.

Top Bottom