Who will replace Saban?

But, Washington is joining the Big Ten. They have a lot of long flights to play a game.
Alabama can dang near bus to their opponents.

It doesn't matter. Hire a golden retriever and they will still win. Cheated for multiple decades and still do. NIL coming out their behinders.
Jimmys and Joes...
They lost to a 6-5 Gopher team that was 3-5 in Big Ten play before Saban arrived. They whined after the game about the Gopher band playing Rocky Top to “rub in the loss” (in honor of our TN hosts)

Bama was down pretty bad when Saban got there.

Who cares about the past now. It will be easier to go 13-0 at Bama next year than it will be at Washington in the B1G. Plus coast to coast travel becomes a much bigger problem at Washington next year and beyond then it will be in the SEC.

DeBoer also did all of this with much lower rated recruiting classes. I would imagine that Bama should continue to rank highly in recruiting in the coming years.

What’s interesting is that Saban is going to stick around at Bama with an office at the stadium. Wonder how that impacts the decision for a prospective coach. You get a chance to learn from one of the greats but I could also see it adding to the pressure.

Because coaches who have been as successful as DeBoer want the challenge of being at the top job in the country. Expectations will always be sky high, but it's also easier to recruit to and win at Alabama over pretty much any other job in the country.

DeBoer is an excellent coach, and if and there is minimal regression from Saban, he will have that job and be taken care of for the rest of his career.
And if they struggle at all.....like fall out of the top 10.....he will be out on his butt. Saban set the bar extremely high. But like I said, I get why coaches chase jobs like Alabama.

In terms of being taken care of for the rest of his career......he could have had that at Washington as well. The one big thing that has changed in coaching is that you don't have to go to the best of the best jobs in order to get paid.

Ohio State lost to Michigan, at Michigan, by 1 score and Ryan Day's seat isn't cold.
Yep.....expectations at those top jobs is off the charts. My father-in-law is a big OSU fan and would be more than happy to see Day sent packing.

Disagree in the past. Agree moving forward

Much more competition at Bama than Washington. It is harder to go 13-0 at Bama than Washington.
Supposedly Alabama’s NIL is 4 times that of UW, according to a friend of mine that has known DeBoer since their Sioux Falls days.

Who cares what the expectations are. Losers are concerned about the expectations being too high. Being a great coach at Bama will get better recognition than a great coach at Wash. Its laughable to say why would he take the Bama job.

Who cares what the expectations are. Losers are concerned about the expectations being too high. Being a great coach at Bama will get better recognition than a great coach at Wash. Its laughable to say why would he take the Bama job.
Being a great all-time coach at UW>>>>>>>>>being fired from 'Bama after 3 years of 10 wins but no titles because the Saban expectations are sky high

And if they struggle at all.....like fall out of the top 10.....he will be out on his butt. Saban set the bar extremely high. But like I said, I get why coaches chase jobs like Alabama.

In terms of being taken care of for the rest of his career......he could have had that at Washington as well. The one big thing that has changed in coaching is that you don't have to go to the best of the best jobs in order to get paid.
Either DeBoer succeeds at Alabama and they maintain him while paying him gobs of money. OR they fire him thus he gets a huge generational wealth buyout (as long as it is not "with cause") and he snaps up another pretty decent to great coaching job at a P4 school for his next stop.

Seems like a win-win to take the Bama gig.

Last edited:

They lost to a 6-5 Gopher team that was 3-5 in Big Ten play before Saban arrived. They whined after the game about the Gopher band playing Rocky Top to “rub in the loss” (in honor of our TN hosts)

Bama was down pretty bad when Saban got there.

Alabama was on probation for some of those years too. They were ineligible for post season play in 2002 and 2003 and in 2004 they had to vacate all their victories in a 10-2 season. A Cotton Bowl victory over Texas Tech was wiped out too. Looks like they had to vacate wins in '06 and '07 too.

'07 was Saban's first year.

1. The NCAA ruled Alabama to vacate 21 victories between the 2005–07 seasons due to sanctions stemming from textbook-related infractions. Following an unsuccessful appeal to the NCAA Division I Infractions Appeals Committee, five overall wins from the 2007 season have been officially vacated.[18]

There is little doubt that Alabama is THE job in college football coaching. My top 5:
1. Alabama
2. Georgia
3. Ohio State
4. Michigan
5. Texas

All of these schools are as well supported by their admin, NIL, boosters and fans as possible. All are recruiting giants....

Curious that Notre Dame is not on your list, perhaps a top 7 or 10.

Either DeBoer succeeds at Alabama and they maintain him while paying him gobs of money. OR they fire him thus he gets a huge generational wealth buyout (as long as it is not "with cause") and he snaps up another pretty decent to great coaching gig at a P4 school for his next stop.

Seems like a win-win to take the gig.
Exactly. Even if he got fired at Alabama he could easily turn around and get another Washington level job, assuming he doesn’t have like 2 win seasons at Alabama which he easily won’t.

Ohio State lost to Michigan, at Michigan, by 1 score and Ryan Day's seat isn't cold.
Losing to your rival multiple times in a row is one thing. Expecting to win a natty next year after taking the job or be fired is not a sane argument to make.

Supposedly Alabama’s NIL is 4 times that of UW, according to a friend of mine that has known DeBoer since their Sioux Falls days.
I would believe that for sure. I was wrong and they got him. Good hire.

Losing to your rival multiple times in a row is one thing. Expecting to win a natty next year after taking the job or be fired is not a sane argument to make.
You think football fans are sane?
Nobody has said he would be fired after year 1

You think football fans are sane?
Nobody has said he would be fired after year 1
Go ahead and bookmark this post. I can guarantee he won’t get fired if he gets to the championship and loses. If I’m wrong I’ll gladly eat crow.

Go ahead and bookmark this post. I can guarantee he won’t get fired if he gets to the championship and loses. If I’m wrong I’ll gladly eat crow.
I agree with you. I’m not sure who you’re arguing with.

What I’m saying is If that’s the best he has done and it’s the end of year 5, then the next time he goes 9-3 he is fired. Kind of like how Ryan day will get fired if Ohio state goes 9-3 next year.

Someone on Reddit did a quick check of coaches who followed very successful coaches.

It didn’t appear that they were fired any faster than the average coach.

Does anyone remember who Saban replaced? Bear Bryant is not the answer.

I agree with you. I’m not sure who you’re arguing with.

What I’m saying is If that’s the best he has done and it’s the end of year 5, then the next time he goes 9-3 he is fired. Kind of like how Ryan day will get fired if Ohio state goes 9-3 next year.
“Yup. The season he just had at Washington gives him 5 years of grace

The season he just had if it was at Bama will get him fired in 3 years”

Might have been my interpretation of your post but no chance he gets fired after making the championship in year one. If years 2 and 3 are nowhere close to that then yeah, maybe he gets fired.

Might have been my interpretation of your post but no chance he gets fired after making the championship in year one. If years 2 and 3 are nowhere close to that then yeah, maybe he gets fired.

I should have written COULD get him fired in 3 years. Not will get him fired in 3 years.

What I was trying to say is that this season at Washington probably buys him 5 years of 8-5

Whereas this season at Bama does not buy him 3 years of 8-5 let alone 5

I should have written COULD get him fired in 3 years. Not will get him fired in 3 years.

What I was trying to say is that this season at Washington probably buys him 5 years of 8-5

Whereas this season at Bama does not buy him 3 years of 8-5 let alone 5
King of bad takes tries to walk back a doozy.

Lolol

Yeah, I don't think he'd get fired for losing 1 game the first year.

I'm saying that if he has a top 4 program in the country the next three years and it includes losses to Georgia each year and they don't win a natty, his seat, like Ryan Day's will be hot.

If he went 9-3, 8-4, and 9-3 at Washington over that same span, his seat would be incredibly comfortable.

But yeah, football fans aren't sane at all.

Washington was likely going to take a step back next year without Penix and joining a much tougher conference.

The Alabama job is a once in a lifetime opportunity with many advantages Washington doesn't have. You take that chance if you're offered and not already at a helmet school.

Washington was likely going to take a step back next year without Penix and joining a much tougher conference.

The Alabama job is a once in a lifetime opportunity with many advantages Washington doesn't have. You take that chance if you're offered and not already at a helmet school.
I have been told that Washington is a perennial winner in the new big ten

But I agree with you. If they make the wrong hire here they have issues. Washington is closer to being a Michigan state/TCU type program than a Michigan/Ohio state

Top Bottom