Who will Kill run out of the program?

Actually, this had crossed my mind before...

Well, if Jerry can't go back to coaching, I think Maturi should retire and he should be AD (Maturi needs to retire no matter what). Kill clearly understands the importance of football and would improve the atmosphere overnight. He could just hire a flunky to oversee the non-revenue sports.

Before all you too serious types berate me, consider this- do you think Alvarez or Tom Osborne had the requisite business skills to be an AD?

that Kill could eventually become the football promoting AD and likely one of his younger protegees' (sp?) could take over his head coaching position. I sort of daydreamed about this even prior to his seizure at the end of the NM State game.

Good thought about him being able to handle the AD job if they can get the electricity in his head controlled! I can't see how the program would be harmed as they would still (presumably) have much coaching consistency, philosophies, schemes, etc. etc. Could work out if Kaler doesn't re-up Jumpin' Joel M!

Same here

that Kill could eventually become the football promoting AD and likely one of his younger protegees' (sp?) could take over his head coaching position. I sort of daydreamed about this even prior to his seizure at the end of the NM State game.

Good thought about him being able to handle the AD job if they can get the electricity in his head controlled! I can't see how the program would be harmed as they would still (presumably) have much coaching consistency, philosophies, schemes, etc. etc. Could work out if Kaler doesn't re-up Jumpin' Joel M!

I had this discussion with some friends while tailgating before the Miami game and we all agreed that it would be a great outcome down the road. I think it's the continuity that was intriguing about it - and having someone in the AD position who "gets it." Of course - this is all assuming his health would be fine, he turns this program into a winner, he would want an administrative position, Claeys/Limegrover having head coaching aspirations, etc.

Reminds me of the Jerry Glanville line when asked by a reporter.....

Q- "What do you think of your team's execution?"

A- "I'm all for it"

Actually, I think it came from the Tampa Bay Bucs coach who came to them from USC and coached them through losing all 14 games in a season and more the next year. John Robinson.

I think it was actually John McKay when he was at Tampa Bay.

Abck to the topic. Bobby Knight once said at a coaches clinic, "There is no greater motivator than the bench! The bench sends a signal to the butt, the butt sends a signal to the body, the body sends a signal to the brain, the brain says get your butt off this bench and start playing. " If it doesn't work they will sit there or quit by themselves. We seem to have a number of players that have never been held accountable. I think this is changing, but it won't happen overnite. We should (hard to say this) be thinking and building for 2013. Any results before would be a bonus.

We seem to have a number of players that have never been held accountable. I think this is changing, but it won't happen overnite. We should (hard to say this) be thinking and building for 2013. Any results before would be a bonus.

Totally agree. Have to keep reminding myself of that. It's a total change of culture Kill is trying to institute. Perfect example is the last play of the first half against NDSU. The interception is thrown, and it looks like the tackle is going to made along the sidelines only to have the touchdown. Sitting there, I'm thinking, "How in the hell did that just happen?" When you watch the replay you can see Gray and an offensive lineman (I didn't catch his #) come to a complete stop even though the whistle hadn't blown. The guy with the ball blows past them before the Gophers even react. If they had followed the old, "Play to the whistle," every football coach uses, there's no way that interception would have resulted in a touchdown. You know these guys have heard it over and over from this staff but they've never had to actually do it.

It only takes one or two guys to screw up a football play. Obviously, you could find all sorts of other examples in that game where guys took the play off, used poor techniques, took the wrong angle, blew an assignment, quit early, etc. A team with playmakers can overcome some of that. We don't have those.

I know people are going to point out the poor play calling and say Gray shouldn't have been put in that position. Ya, but coaches get greedy. Not knowing what they saw, I can't be too critical. Pretty sure they were thinking long pass, out of bounds, field goal. I think this play is also an example of Kill saying that we don't have the talent, and at the same time that the coaches have to do a better job of coaching. There's a big learning curve for everyone this year: not only players, but also coaches and us fans.

Top Bottom