Who should be our next Coach?

Who should be the next Gophers Coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I know his name has been mentioned, but I really like that Bob Richey from Furman.

He's a southern guy, but if there's an opportunity at some point, I'd hope he would take an interview here if it comes to that.

Ben Johnson signed the #11 recruit in the nation...out of California...to come to a Minnesota dumpster blizzard that he inherited. Simply on his own talent & vision. No name recognition, no help.

Who else has done that?
I personally can’t wait to see the kid play in maroon and gold next year!

As Seinfeld said, “You can TAKE the reservation, you just can’t HOLD the reservation.”

I have an argument - the results of this century - which I think should be more persuasive than "once upon a time we were good when we had better coaches." Did you ever stop to think that not having better coaches could be as much of symptom of the contemporary state of the program as it is a cause?

I certainly don't believe that it's impossible to win here but it's not easy.
Do you not think our rivals have had better coaches? It really isn’t any more complicated than that. These aren’t just coaches, in the NCAA they are also the GM. Bo Ryan was an extremely proven commodity at a lower level pre-UW, who won his conference 8 times. Gard was along for the ride and learned from success. Fran’s red face has had defensive issues, but over his tenure has been able to pile on points. He was also a proven commodity, winning his conference 4 times before his UI tenure. Meanwhile, we’ve had Pitino who seemed to change styles by the year, and was fired due to poor record, and then somehow chose to hire his assistant. How many times did Pitino and CBJ win their conference as a HC prior to their UM tenure?? We made a bad HC hire in Pitino, then somehow made an even worse one in hiring a guy that the low majors didn’t even want. But yeah, it’s all because of NIL and because CBJ is “selecting good humans” instead of taking shortcuts. Good Lord, the excuses are mind boggling.

Right the wrong and go hire somebody worthy of a B1G job. With what we’ve seen so far, if you were a Vegas oddsmaker, what would you say are the odds CBJ ever finishes in the top half the conference? Maybe 20% at absolute best? And we’re willing to drag this on for what reason? For those crap odds?

I’ve been thinking about this as I watched the team piss away the game versus the Badgers. A lot of people have said “I don’t blame CBJ for taking the job offered to him”. You may have a point. The blame lies mostly with Coyle/Gable. But if I were offered the CEO position at my firm, being unqualified for such a position, I’d turn it down with the knowledge my tenure would have a high likelihood of burning the firm down in a blaze of glory, due to the fact that I’m not ready for such a position. CBJ has effectively wasted 1 or 2 years of these college kids short careers due to his hubris. I’ve changed my tune- he’s not without blame.

Last edited:

I’ve been thinking about this as I watched the team piss away the game versus the Badgers. A lot of people have said “I don’t blame CBJ for taking the job offered to him”. You may have a point. The blame lies mostly with Coyle/Gable. But if I were offered the CEO position at my firm, being unqualified for such a position, I’d turn it down with the knowledge my tenure would have a high likelihood of burning the firm down in a blaze of glory, due to the fact that I’m not ready for such a position. CBJ has effectively wasted 1 or 2 years of these college kids short careers due to his hubris. I’ve changed my tune- he’s not without blame. CBJ can go F himself.
That might be one of the dumbest takes I’ve ever heard.

Intriguing. Agreed she wouldn’t take it but offer her a bucket of cash to be a woman coaching a P6 men’s team…

I said Cheryl Reeve in the past. Same idea.
Has Dawn Staley given any indication she wants to coach a men's team? Much less one in this bad of shape? Let's be serious.

That might be one of the dumbest takes I’ve ever heard.
That CBJ is blameless in this disaster of a situation? Really? He’s effectively stolen 2 years and $4MM because he has no idea what he’s doing, and knew that when he took the job. Most of the ire certainly goes to Coyle/Gable, but he certainly has some level of culpability.

None of the above. No established coach would join a program that fired its head coach after only two seasons. The idea that CBJ could build a competitive roster completely from scratch in two years is ludicrous. If the AD who took a flyer on him were now to fire him, he too should be fired.

None of the above. No established coach would join a program that fired its head coach after only two seasons. The idea that CBJ could build a competitive roster completely from scratch in two years is ludicrous. If the AD who took a flyer on him were now to fire him, he too should be fired.
No coach that believes in his own ability is going to say "I'd take the job if they fired him after three years, but not after two. Competitive? He went 6-33. It's not some indefensible action.

Last edited:

What if the expectation wasn't a competitive roster, just a "not dead last by multiple games" roster?

Never coached US college basketball or in the US period. Retired for 4 years. Pushing 60. I think I'll pass.

He’s won more college national titles than Ben Johnson has games this season. Not saying it’s apples to apples but I’ll take his coaching chops over what we have.

And he’s 57. Let’s say he’s here 8 years…that’s 65. If that’s too old, sounds good. I’ll cross Dutcher and Musselman off the list.

Has Dawn Staley given any indication she wants to coach a men's team? Much less one in this bad of shape? Let's be serious.

No. But Ben Johnson gave no indication he should be a P6 head coach. And got hired. Staley would tick many of the boxes and generate some fan interest.

Kansas State and Iowa State were in a bad place...new coaches hit the portal and were in the NCAA tournament in one year. Capel at Pitt had his starters transfer hit the portal and is on top in the ACC.
It's a new day, new rules...you oughta get fired for having a 5 year plan or if you won the interview with it...ya the AD should go too. It's a one year turnaround with the portal.

You can't possibly say if Battle and Cooper leaves....Evans doesn't get to campus...if Henley and anybody else leaves we are in a better spot than we were with Richard's players 3 seasons ago.
It's obvious Ben is in over his head.

No. But Ben Johnson gave no indication he should be a P6 head coach. And got hired. Staley would tick many of the boxes and generate some fan interest.
I don’t think Dawn Staley’s name means anything to boys high school basketball players.

She has a better chance of becoming an NBA coach as a first stop as a men’s coach.

Intriguing. Agreed she wouldn’t take it but offer her a bucket of cash to be a woman coaching a P6 men’s team…

I said Cheryl Reeve in the past. Same idea.
Cheryl Reeve would be much better than Dawn Staley, as she is USA coach, Lynx coach and already a huge MN presence… but I honestly don’t know if a P6 school will hire a woman in the next 5 years. The NBA will do it first.

Cheryl Reeve would be much better than Dawn Staley, as she is USA coach, Lynx coach and already a huge MN presence… but I honestly don’t know if a P6 school will hire a woman in the next 5 years. The NBA will do it first.

I agree. Was just messing around with some fun names. Plenty of good coaches out there. None of which will be coaching the gophers next year.

Any coach that would see a program firing a 6-33 coach as being ludicrous, I want absolutely nothing to do with. Posts like this make me want to move on from Ben even more, the kind of guys (or gals) who would shy away this job for that reason would never be successful at this job.

He’s won more college national titles than Ben Johnson has games this season. Not saying it’s apples to apples but I’ll take his coaching chops over what we have.

And he’s 57. Let’s say he’s here 8 years…that’s 65. If that’s too old, sounds good. I’ll cross Dutcher and Musselman off the list.
If he had Dutcher or Musselman's resume, I wouldn't care about his age.

I don't question that he can probably coach basketball. But a 57 year old life-long Canadian trying to recruit the NCAA in this era having never coached in the US before? It's just as big of a risk as Ben was. Probably bigger. Hard pass.

If Ben is back next year, I'd gladly take him as an assistant in charge of defense. Can you hook that up?

Top Bottom