Who should be our next Coach?

Who should be the next Gophers Coach?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If he had Dutcher or Musselman's resume, I wouldn't care about his age.

I don't question that he can probably coach basketball. But a 57 year old life-long Canadian trying to recruit the NCAA in this era having never coached in the US before? It's just as big of a risk as Ben was. Probably bigger. Hard pass.

If Ben is back next year, I'd gladly take him as an assistant in charge of defense. Can you hook that up?
Agreed - Let’s try to reduce risk.

No. But Ben Johnson gave no indication he should be a P6 head coach. And got hired. Staley would tick many of the boxes and generate some fan interest.
I didn't say should be, I said wants to be. Is there any indication she even wants to coach a men's team, or that Minnesota is a place she would remotely consider if she did? The South Carolina men's team has been a train-wreck outside of one miracle final four several years ago. If she really wanted to, she probably could have just walked down the hall last April when they fired Frank Martin and said "I want a shot at it."

I feel extremely confident in saying, Dawn Staley will not be the next men’s head basketball coach at the University of Minnesota.

I feel extremely confident in saying, Dawn Staley will not be the next men’s head basketball coach at the University of Minnesota.
And I'm nearly as certain that Dave Smart will not be the next coach. However unrealistic Musselman is, he's far, far more likely than either of those two.

I’ve been thinking about this as I watched the team piss away the game versus the Badgers. A lot of people have said “I don’t blame CBJ for taking the job offered to him”. You may have a point. The blame lies mostly with Coyle/Gable. But if I were offered the CEO position at my firm, being unqualified for such a position, I’d turn it down with the knowledge my tenure would have a high likelihood of burning the firm down in a blaze of glory, due to the fact that I’m not ready for such a position. CBJ has effectively wasted 1 or 2 years of these college kids short careers due to his hubris. I’ve changed my tune- he’s not without blame. CBJ can go F himself.
Really couldn’t understand the defensive sets tonight. We were slain when Wisky got the ball in the paint. One (maybe two) times we doubled up on the ball we kept them from scoring. That and our ADDH approach to free throws.

I'm afraid we're going to be unable to reach him by phone once again.
We could use the phone from that Twilight Zone episode where the boy calls his dead grandmother.

He would be my top choice but I don't think he's interested in this job. He'll hold out for Iowa or something better.
Feels crazy to hold out for Iowa when MN is roughly a 4.5 hour drive (or so) and a B10 school versus waiting untold number of years and Drake could fall apart in that timeframe (timing is everything in life and you have to strike while the iron is hot). If I were him I’d say I’d do it, but only if you start scheduling Iowa State, Drake and Northern Iowa (which would be good for us gopher fans as that would dramatically raise our non conference schedule compared to what we normally see…and would most likely generate better attendance…even if neutral site games.

Can you play games at treasure island or mystic lake in a convention center? If you can play in the Bahamas in a ballroom (battle for Atlantis)…why not here.

Hell - Mystic Lake and Treasure Island personal, work your connections and make this happen.

Anybody is better than Johnson. Dude ran this program into the ground in less than 2 years.

You know what, though: the right person can make this something better than Iowa.

I agree, but DeVries has strong family ties to Iowa and has lived there, or on the border (Omaha) his entire life. Not everyone sees living/working in the Twin Cities at a really difficult job as something they want to do.

It’s not like Missouri is a huge step up from Minnesota, but Dennis Gates had zero interest in this job and stayed at Cleveland St for another year before jumping to Missouri. DeVries will have plenty of options if he wants to leave Iowa.

I agree, but DeVries has strong family ties to Iowa and has lived there, or on the border (Omaha) his entire life. Not everyone sees living/working in the Twin Cities at a really difficult job as something they want to do.

It’s not like Missouri is a huge step up from Minnesota, but Dennis Gates had zero interest in this job and stayed at Cleveland St for another year before jumping to Missouri. DeVries will have plenty of options if he wants to leave Iowa.
May have already been rumors that DeVries was not interested during last go round.

hopefully the feelers are already put out there.....
is DeVries interested?
Dutcher ready to come home?
How much does it take to get Musselman?
Chris Beard wanna head north?

if we like any of the answers from the above questions make the dang move!!

I think this whole "coach X isn't at all interested in this job" thing is WAY overblown. If we offer the lowest salary in the conference sure we might not be at the top of everyone's list, but we are a B1G job with at least a little history of success. You think CoC, Drake or Cleveland St is a better job than this?

Will every person want to move jobs? Nope, Bob mckillop at Davidson lived his spot and never left, but to have this woe is us we are bad because no cody will come here is also a joke. We have money, I can promise that. Now, do they want to spend it on basketball or sports, that I don't know but let's not make excuses for not spending it.

I think this whole "coach X isn't at all interested in this job" thing is WAY overblown. If we offer the lowest salary in the conference sure we might not be at the top of everyone's list, but we are a B1G job with at least a little history of success. You think CoC, Drake or Cleveland St is a better job than this?

Will every person want to move jobs? Nope, Bob mckillop at Davidson lived his spot and never left, but to have this woe is us we are bad because no cody will come here is also a joke. We have money, I can promise that. Now, do they want to spend it on basketball or sports, that I don't know but let's not make excuses for not spending it.

It's not always about money or what appears to be a step up. Some guys at lower levels just aren't interested in this job for a variety of reasons. It's also not to say 'no one wants this job' because plenty of good coaches would be interested. But some just are not.

Exactly. We got Tubby Smith when he could have picked multiple other power 6 jobs. And we paid a top 20 salary to get him. That wasn't 87 years ago. It was 15 years ago. A 6 year, $18 million contact will get a lot of Yes's.

Top Bottom