Who is to blame for the epic fail in QB evaluations?

Gotta put a lot of blame on KC
He left
He came back
He left again
He picked a couple of the guys.

Gotta put a lot of the blame on PJ, he shouldn’t have let KC come back. He shouldn’t have hired Sanford.

Here are 3 reasons why AK was unsuccessful IMO.
1. The current OC/QB Coach is not of P5 caliber. AK had a really solid end of 2022 under KC. Harbaugh just doesn’t cut it and until PJ figures that out, don’t expect the new QB to be any better.
2. A significant drop off on the O Line played a big role. AK was constantly under duress this year. And they were inconsistent, at best, with run blocking also.
3. Lack of skilled playmakers at WR outside of Daniel Jackson. Crooms and Spencer were oversold as playmakers. They could barely get open. Where was Hoskins, who was billed as a threat ? And BSF wasn’t made a bigger part of the offense. This team hates using the TE as a weapon based upon the play calling I saw.
Let's add a speculative No. 4 for consideration: KC bolted, Flecked named Harbaugh as play caller and QB coach. A lot of observers are now of the opinion Harbaugh was play caller on paper but not in reality. That theory goes that Fleck has such tight rein on the play list that he is de facto running the offense.

Could it be that Fleck has also usurped QB coaching duties? Could it be that rather than lack of coaching AK is victim of over coaching, head filled with so many does and don'ts that he appears a frozen version of his freshman self?

Let's add a speculative No. 4 for consideration: KC bolted, Flecked named Harbaugh as play caller and QB coach. A lot of observers are now of the opinion Harbaugh was play caller on paper but not in reality. That theory goes that Fleck has such tight rein on the play list that he is de facto running the offense.

Could it be that Fleck has also usurped QB coaching duties? Could it be that rather than lack of coaching AK is victim of over coaching, head filled with so many does and don'ts that he appears a frozen version of his freshman self?
Last year 54.1% 3 touchdowns 4 ints
This year 53.1 13 touchdowns 9 ints

He played a great game against Wisconsin last year.

I don’t think this is a fair list. We do not know how Viramontes, Annexstad, or Clark would have done if they were given the keys in place of Tanner who performed somewhere between OK and very good as “the guy” depending on who you ask.

Similarly, Knuth and Viotto never had the opportunity behind AK.
Viotto is a true freshman. He was not going to play this year and has lost no opportunity. If he stays he will be in the competition next Spring and Summer.

Here are 3 reasons why AK was unsuccessful IMO.
1. The current OC/QB Coach is not of P5 caliber. AK had a really solid end of 2022 under KC. Harbaugh just doesn’t cut it and until PJ figures that out, don’t expect the new QB to be any better.
2. A significant drop off on the O Line played a big role. AK was constantly under duress this year. And they were inconsistent, at best, with run blocking also.
3. Lack of skilled playmakers at WR outside of Daniel Jackson. Crooms and Spencer were oversold as playmakers. They could barely get open. Where was Hoskins, who was billed as a threat ? And BSF wasn’t made a bigger part of the offense. This team hates using the TE as a weapon based upon the play calling I saw.
4. He's not very good.

Days of guys waiting their turn on a roster seem to be a thing of the past. Can only play one QB at a time so not really sure what the coaches are supposed to do in order to keep the backups happy.

Coaches are going to play the QB they feel gives them the best chance to win. I know fans don't want to believe that and just want to assume the coaches are being idiots by not playing the other guys over the "hand picked" guy but the coaches need to win games so they aren't going to sit a QB they think is better than the guy they are starting.
One way to keep backups around is to get one from the portal each year and let them compete. If a transfer ends up not starting he's not going anywhere.

One way to keep backups around is to get one from the portal each year and let them compete. If a transfer ends up not starting he's not going anywhere.
Yes.
I think for a program like Minnesota the best strategy to not get raided is to get a ton of portal freshmen and Sophs

Last year 54.1% 3 touchdowns 4 ints
This year 53.1 13 touchdowns 9 ints

He played a great game against Wisconsin last year.
He brought us back from a 10-point halftime deficit at Nebraska. He had a great start at Yankee Stadium before being hurt.

Statistics aside, he was fairly loose, confident, and in charge as a freshman.

He brought us back from a 10-point halftime deficit at Nebraska. He had a great start at Yankee Stadium before being hurt.

To me, performance matters more than good vibes

Against Nebraska he was 6/12 with 0 touchdowns

Newsflash because I guess you have missed it but this is the way of the world with QBs anymore. Look at how many transfer, very few teams are playing guys they developed at this point.

Wisconsin - Starter and backup this year were transfers (Mordecai/Locke)
Iowa - Starter and backup this year were transfers (MacNamera/Hill)
Illinois - Starter and backup this year were transfers (Altmyer/Paddock)
Purdue - Starter was a transfer don't know about backups (Card)
Northwestern - Starter was a transfer (Bryant)
Nebraska - Multiple transfer QBs on roster (Purdy/Sims)
Maryland - Tua is a transfer though he has been there multiple years
Indiana - had one transfer QB and one homegrown one but he is leaving (Sorsby)
Michigan - Backup QB was a transfer (Tuttle)

Our lack of transfer QBs coming in to this point was actually more of a rarity in the current college football landscape where QBs are shuffling all over the place these days.

So while it would be nice to just recruit a guy and have them stay their whole career those days seem to be fading into the background, especially where it comes to QBs
Great summary
Looks more like PJ is behind the times

Gotta put a lot of blame on KC
He left
He came back
He left again
He picked a couple of the guys.

Gotta put a lot of the blame on PJ, he shouldn’t have let KC come back. He shouldn’t have hired Sanford.
Expanding on your thoughts/ points, any chance we try to land an OC/ head coach that has been let go from another program? Perhaps they can bring a QB with them.

Great summary
Looks more like PJ is behind the times
I'm actually kind of tempted to do the same thing for the SEC and the PAC to see because you may be right that we are in the minority of not having started a transfer QB over the past 5+ years.

We are in an era where when you watch a game on TV it feels like everytime they discuss a player (regardless of position) the first thing they mentioned is where they transferred from. Crazy how high the level of roster churn is these days.

Sometimes numbers don't lie 3 td's 4 ints, poor completion percentages. He was doing the same thing last year locking on to receivers, not able to put touch on the ball. Teams had offseasons to idendify his glaring weakenesses.

there's a chance Minnesota is emptying the QB room and hitting the transfer market as a precursor to an offensive philosophy change. it's what wisconsin did last year

To me, performance matters more than good vibes

Against Nebraska he was 6/12 with 0 touchdowns
Against Nebraska he was clearly the spark and catalyst for turning it around.

there's a chance Minnesota is emptying the QB room and hitting the transfer market as a precursor to an offensive philosophy change. it's what wisconsin did last year
Wisconsin had an entire coaching change. Not the same thing.

The kid from New Hampshire supposedly fits this offense perfectly.

It’s simple that we need a more accurate passer that makes better decisions.

AK was terrible and I think the coaches are ready to bring in someone that has proven they can play this system and be successful.

3rd and short usually reliable, that's the need. Solid percentage on good routes.

Make a mistake on a confusing play is fine by me, but please on 3rd and 3 he's open throw it on target.

Occasional explosives that have a decent chance of working is nice too.

Changing OC every year won’t get it done and is mostly to blame IMO.

Yeah. His vibes are great

his quarterbacking never was though
But his quarterbacking was less bad last year and more bad this year. Nebraska revival, Madison excellence, and Pinstripe hot start pre injury. He had no excellent games or stretches this year with 12 starts.

He was looser, more active, more decisive and more confident his first season.

He regressed. Who got into his head and paralyzed him? My guess would be Fleck.

KC recruited Kramer and Kaliakmanis, Sanford recruited Drew
Sanford recruited Knuth.
Kirk recruited Viotto. He saw him on a rainy day and offered on the spot.
Seemed like Kirk just wanted to get a commitment and be done.

The Gophs threw the ball a ton vs Neb but had little to show for it. That game played a big part in the strategy that followed I believe.

The Gophers need playmakers at receiver and tight end. Without that you get Morgan regressing from 2019. Tom Brady or Drew Brees would have had a tough time. Sorry, not up to date on recent developments and that’s where my NFL QB greats references end.

This is the Gordian knot of Gopher football. This is why a complete overhaul of the offensive staff and not a tuneup is a requirement. Otherwise, definition of insanity applies.

3rd and short usually reliable, that's the need. Solid percentage on good routes.

Make a mistake on a confusing play is fine by me, but please on 3rd and 3 he's open throw it on target.

It would have been nice to see if the QB was capable of this. But, the head coach and OC called a handoff every 3rd and 3 they had. And, most 3rd and 5s. And, 3rd and 7s. And, even 3rd and 9s.

Top Bottom