Who is to blame for the epic fail in QB evaluations?

Triple D

Reaction score
First Kaliakmanis, then Viotto, and Kramer participated in Senior Day and may be done

Does this solely lie on Fleck or is there someone else in charge of QB recruiting misses?

It’s concerning for a B10 level team

Fleck. The buck stops with him and he's the only constant on the offensive end since he arrived.

Go Gophers!!
And at his previous job, he inherited Terrell. So at this point, he's found and signed one guy who's a capable FBS QB over 11 seasons. Hell of a track record.

Fleck says it's all on him. I believe him.

He trotted Kaliakmanis out there this season. In fairness, nobody here objected at the time. Pretty much universal approval.

Slowly, we all began to see that maybe, mayyyyybe, mmmmmmm... not so good, boss.

That's a failure of talent evaluation, coaching, etc. No bueno.

Fleck needs to fix this pronto.

Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska all started portal QBs for at least part of their seasons, if I'm not mistaken. Maybe this is the future.
giphy.gif

well, at a program like MN that is run-heavy, it's not going to be the favored destination for QB's who want to throw the ball.

in the current climate, add a relative lack of NIL, and that makes it tough.

beyond that - I get a sense that they like to go for QB's based on potential. and in some cases, the potential has not been realized. you can call that a recruiting miss, or a failure on the coaches to develop the QB to bring out that potential.

but the point is taken. 7 years at MN and this regime has had 1 competent QB - and that guy even drove fans nuts with some of his limitations. (but - were they his limitations, or were the limitations imposed on him by the coaching staff? I wonder.....)

I think the Big Ten and SEC are going to be destination conferences for transfers, specifically QBs, regardless of how big time or irrelevant the schools are. Guys are gonna wanna show they can compete with the best and these two conferences will have the best wanting to come and play right away. We need to consider committing to not being a developmental program and bringing in experienced portal guys who we can plug in and play. We might not be able to provide lots of NIL dollars but the promise of play will bring in some quality guys who look at bring a third stringer for Ohio State over starting at Minnesota being unappealing.

Row the Boat may need to become more of a subtle mantra than the entire basis of the program if we want to remain relevant. Gotta strike while the iron is hot. I don't know if this is the right way but if we're going to be a sieve of talent every year we need to bring in guys who other programs are losing like a sieve.

well, at a program like MN that is run-heavy, it's not going to be the favored destination for QB's who want to throw the ball.

beyond that - I get a sense that they like to go for QB's based on potential. and in some cases, the potential has not been realized. you can call that a recruiting miss, or a failure on the coaches to develop the QB to bring out that potential.

but the point is taken. 7 years at MN and this regime has had 1 competent QB - and that guy even drove fans nuts with some of his limitations. (but - were they his limitations, or were the limitations imposed on him by the coaching staff? I wonder.....)
I've never understood why they don't try to get more athletic QBs then. At least they can make plays with their feet even if their passing skills aren't great. A slow bad passer isn't a good combination.

Please PJ forget the bowl. Now you have a valid excuse.

I’m pretty everyone has a pretty low average as far as QB home runs goes…

I feel like the context of this question is missing something.

To be fair, that one competent QB's career spanned for 5 of those 7 seasons. And one of the other seasons was when we had to start an inherited walk-on QB.

First Kaliakmanis, then Viotto, and Kramer participated in Senior Day and may be done

Does this solely lie on Fleck or is there someone else in charge of QB recruiting misses?

It’s concerning for a B10 level team
Newsflash because I guess you have missed it but this is the way of the world with QBs anymore. Look at how many transfer, very few teams are playing guys they developed at this point.

Wisconsin - Starter and backup this year were transfers (Mordecai/Locke)
Iowa - Starter and backup this year were transfers (MacNamera/Hill)
Illinois - Starter and backup this year were transfers (Altmyer/Paddock)
Purdue - Starter was a transfer don't know about backups (Card)
Northwestern - Starter was a transfer (Bryant)
Nebraska - Multiple transfer QBs on roster (Purdy/Sims)
Maryland - Tua is a transfer though he has been there multiple years
Indiana - had one transfer QB and one homegrown one but he is leaving (Sorsby)
Michigan - Backup QB was a transfer (Tuttle)

Our lack of transfer QBs coming in to this point was actually more of a rarity in the current college football landscape where QBs are shuffling all over the place these days.

So while it would be nice to just recruit a guy and have them stay their whole career those days seem to be fading into the background, especially where it comes to QBs

Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska all started portal QBs for at least part of their seasons, if I'm not mistaken. Maybe this is the future.
You are probably correct, but the performance of those QB’s aren’t exactly ringing endorsements, injuries aside that some had.

I’m pretty everyone has a pretty low average as far as QB home runs goes…

I feel like the context of this question is missing something.
The context is do you miss on QB HR hitter and have a QB Triple hitter or a QB Strikes Out Looking?

I really think it is. Portal until you have a recruit that develops in year two or three. You can’t afford projects anymore.

We don't need a home run, can't miss dude. We need a Bryan Cupito. Safe completionist who can move the ball through the air when the defense stacks the box and can hit the play action like a mofo when needed.

BINGO!!!!!

Tall, cannon arm, runs like Josh Dobbs... all of those are super-duper-cool things.

I'll take a QB who makes the routine throws consistently, doesn't look like a deer in the headlights when he faces pressure, can get the ball out quickly, understands the offense, can see what's in front of him and be decisive.

Top Bottom