Which QB do the Vikes draft?

Who you got?

• Total voters
Now I'll be clear, I think McCarthy ends up a Viking, and while I may not agree with it, I'll put my full fan support behind him and nothing would make me happier than to come back to this thread and say I was dead wrong.
I've been an adamant JJ fan with the assumption he would be available at 11 (or even later). I think he loses a bit of luster if you have to go up to 4 to get him. I'm not sold on Daniels as when he didn't have top rated recruits around him at ASU he looked like a run of the mill running QB with a suspect arm, accuracy, and consistency (albeit with exciting upside). Williams appears to have potentially maturity issues. I watched maybe a half-dozen Maye games and half were really impressive and the other half he had a number of really good throws surrounded by a ton of mediocrity and over hype. I am really down on Penix and Nix at any pick in the draft.

With all of that said, with the rules changes in the last 10 years or so in the NFL, my opinion is you fish for a franchise QB at all costs until you grab a keeper. Whomever the Vikes pick will have me excited that the day may potentially come for Vikes fans. And if that particular guy doesn't work, set him free and fish again. It's not life or death, people. It's just football.

he also never said winning games makes you qualified to be a first round pick. He simply cited it as evidence of McCarthy's abilities.
Very much splitting hairs at this point.

I’m happy to agree to disagree.

I've been an adamant JJ fan with the assumption he would be available at 11 (or even later). I think he loses a bit of luster if you have to go up to 4 to get him. I'm not sold on Daniels as when he didn't have top rated recruits around him at ASU he looked like a run of the mill running QB with a suspect arm, accuracy, and consistency (albeit with exciting upside). Williams appears to have potentially maturity issues. I watched maybe a half-dozen Maye games and half were really impressive and the other half he had a number of really good throws surrounded by a ton of mediocrity and over hype. I am really down on Penix and Nix at any pick in the draft.
Boom.

This is why I keep hounding that 2024 QB draft class could easily end up like 2021’s.

With all of that said, with the rules changes in the last 10 years or so in the NFL, my opinion is you fish for a franchise QB at all costs until you grab a keeper. Whomever the Vikes pick will have me excited that the day may potentially come for Vikes fans. And if that particular guy doesn't work, set him free and fish again. It's not life or death, people. It's just football.
And then you drove the truck off the road here.

Just not correct.

There are more ways to win and get to the SB than mortgaging the future of draft picks to be able to draft Ponder and Mac Jones.

I won’t have it

I must have brain damage to be saying this, but ….

maybe kg’s thing is right: trade ____ to get Herbert. Let Harbaugh draft JJM (or one of the others) at 5 since Arizona doesn’t need a QB.

With Kiper’s mock having them take a WR …. maybe you give them Addison?

I just don’t think it’s humanly possible for the Wilfs to let JJ (the real one) leave Minnesota. He’s the face. He sells a shite ton of merch. He wins games.

The deep ball issue makes the Vikings love for him odd. KOC likes to throw deep.

On passes 20 yards in the air or more, JJ was 25/46 for 701 yds, 10 TDs, 1 INT and a passer rating of 130.

This might actually be the more appropriate question than the OP question, as we look around the 1st round landscape;

How upset would you be if the Vikings did NOT move up into the top 3-6 picks for one of the consensus top 4 QB's?

As much as the Vikings may want to move up to get their guy, there could very well be stiff competition for those picks; the Giants, the Broncos, even the Raiders (although I think the price would be awful steep for the Raiders to jump all of these other suitors).

If there's one thing this regime has shown, they have a plan and they're sticking to it and they've shown some discipline in not overpaying when they were pressed up against it. All it takes is one of those QB-needy teams to panic and overpay and I could see the Vikings backing off and rolling with Darnold for the year, or looking at someone later in the draft

I would be thrilled!

Hoping it happens

Bonus points for pissing in GWG’s Cheerios. Between that and Ben Johnson still being the coach next year, his Cheerios might explode with piss.

This might actually be the more appropriate question than the OP question, as we look around the 1st round landscape;

How upset would you be if the Vikings did NOT move up into the top 3-6 picks for one of the consensus top 4 QB's?

As much as the Vikings may want to move up to get their guy, there could very well be stiff competition for those picks; the Giants, the Broncos, even the Raiders (although I think the price would be awful steep for the Raiders to jump all of these other suitors).

If there's one thing this regime has shown, they have a plan and they're sticking to it and they've shown some discipline in not overpaying when they were pressed up against it. All it takes is one of those QB-needy teams to panic and overpay and I could see the Vikings backing off and rolling with Darnold for the year, or looking at someone later in the draft

In my defense, I did offer an option of “Other” - (Any college QB, not in the above mentioned six, ex. Rattler) or “None”.

Does Denver have enough to move up?

Does Denver have enough to move up?

Not sure. Allegedly Payton had a record with the Saints of making some bold moves to climb the board to get what he wants. I'm actually someone who likes Stidham, a little bit, but I doubt Payton is hitching his wagon to Stidham.

Not sure. Allegedly Payton had a record with the Saints of making some bold moves to climb the board to get what he wants. I'm actually someone who likes Stidham, a little bit, but I doubt Payton is hitching his wagon to Stidham.
Figured they blew their wad on the Russell trade

FWIW, Michael Lombardi was saying today that Jayden Daniels IS the second best QB in the draft, and he is probably a good fit for Washington and Kliff Kingsbury and what KK wants to run, but he does NOT think Daniels is a good fit for the Walsh/Shanahan/KOC west coast offense.

I'm too lazy to look it up myself, but what I'd like to see is how this year's crop grades out against, say, the last two year's groups of QBs. I'm sure someone has done that work by now, finding it could be challenging.

If we've learned anything up to this point, KAM/KOC are an analytical bunch and a disciplined bunch. They have a plan, a pretty well thought out plan, for just about every contingency that could come up next month. This is actually going to be really interesting to watch how this plays out, throughout the top 10 picks.

Dane Brugler, the draft guru at The Athletic, finally released his "The Beast"; his in depth review of this years class, including over 1900 players. Woof...

For the QB's, his grades and what round he projects them as from a talent/grade perspective;

Williams, Maye, Daniels; 1st Round

JJ McCarthy; 1st-2nd Round

Bo Nix, Penix; 2nd-3rd Round

Rattler; 3rd Round

Michael Pratt; 3rd-4th

Not a ringing endorsement for anyone outside of the top 3, but Brugler's assessment I don't believe takes into consideration how those players do in their private team visits, the interviews, etc.

On the 3 and Out podcast, John Middlekauff (not a bad listen, he's a former scout, has some good takes; also does a good golf gambling podcast, Go Low) talked a little bit about the hype of the Vikings being in love with McCarthy. Basically, don't forget this is lying season; if that's the word, the Vikings love McCarthy, it's either complete bullshit and the Vikings are throwing people off the scent, or there are some holes and leaks in the Vikings FO that are unforgivable and essentially incompetent.

Lastly, I would not be surprised if a ton of the smoke around McCarthy is coming from the Cardinals, trying to jack up the value of their #4 overall pick for trade partners. We may very well only see 3 QBs drafted in the top 10, who knows.

Some of the overall summaries of QBs the Vikings could be considering, all of which makes me really question them swinging for anyone but the top 3, with McCarthy being "MAYBE", if they just absolutely love him for some reason.

EDIT: Overall Rankings for these QBs in Brugler's Top 100;

McCarthy #21; Nix #44; Penix #52; Rattler #72

4) JJ - Overall, McCarthy’s evaluation feels incomplete, which creates even more projection than normal, but his passing skills, pocket athleticism and mental makeup are all ascending and create optimism for his NFL future. Although bumps along the way should be expected, he has the package of tools to become an NFL starter early in his career.

5) Nix - Overall, Nix gets in trouble when he plays loose with his technique and his eyes speed up on him, but he understands where to go with the football, and his scrambling can give defenses fits. Though it feels unlikely that he will ever rank among the 15 best quarterbacks in the NFL, he has the tools to become a middle-of-the-road starter.

6) Penix - Overall, Penix is inconsistent in several key areas (mechanics, anticipation, pressure reaction), but his arm confidence and willingness to attack every square inch of the field can be a productive formula in the right situation. His mental toughness will be a strong selling point in NFL draft rooms.

7) Rattler - Overall, Rattler has a methodical play style and needs to be more urgent in his movements/reads, but he has the arm talent, self-confidence and work habits that give him a fighting chance to work his way up an NFL depth chart. He offers upside at the position, but the interview process will be crucial to his draft grades.

Lastly, I would not be surprised if a ton of the smoke around McCarthy is coming from the Cardinals, trying to jack up the value of their #4 overall pick for trade partners. We may very well only see 3 QBs drafted in the top 10, who knows.
Harbaugh was doing this exact thing for the Chargers pick with McCarthy

Dane Brugler, the draft guru at The Athletic, finally released his "The Beast"; his in depth review of this years class, including over 1900 players. Woof...

For the QB's, his grades and what round he projects them as from a talent/grade perspective;

Williams, Maye, Daniels; 1st Round

JJ McCarthy; 1st-2nd Round

Bo Nix, Penix; 2nd-3rd Round

Rattler; 3rd Round

Michael Pratt; 3rd-4th

Not a ringing endorsement for anyone outside of the top 3, but Brugler's assessment I don't believe takes into consideration how those players do in their private team visits, the interviews, etc.

On the 3 and Out podcast, John Middlekauff (not a bad listen, he's a former scout, has some good takes; also does a good golf gambling podcast, Go Low) talked a little bit about the hype of the Vikings being in love with McCarthy. Basically, don't forget this is lying season; if that's the word, the Vikings love McCarthy, it's either complete bullshit and the Vikings are throwing people off the scent, or there are some holes and leaks in the Vikings FO that are unforgivable and essentially incompetent.

Kiper just released his last mock draft and has the Vikes trading up to 5 for double J; so we know it won’t happen now.

Williams, Daniels & Maye going 1,2,3.

Merril Hoge will not be getting a Christmas card from Drake Maye:

Beyond the first pick in the draft, it's still not clear how the quarterbacks will come off the board in 18 days. Some think North Carolina quarterback Drake Maye could go as high as No. 2. Some see that as a potential mistake.

Chris Simms has placed Maye at No. 6 in his quarterback rankings, behind Caleb Williams, Jayden Daniels, Bo Nix, Michael Penix Jr., and J.J. McCarthy.

Former ESPN analyst and NFL fullback Merril Hoge has similar views on Maye.

Via AthlonSports.com, Hoge recently said the Maye could cost whoever drafts him their job.

"Drake Maye is the kind of player that will get you fired," Hoge said in an interview on WCCO radio. "Especially if you draft him in the top five or top three, he’s going to get you fired."

Hoge compared Maye to 2021 rookie Malik Willis, who had been the betting favorite to be the first quarterback taken and who ended up falling to the Titans in round three. At best, he'll be No. 2 in Tennessee this year.

"Willis might be the only guy that I can think of that is as erratic as Maye," Hoge said. "I studied him for two years. . . . I watched every one of his games last year. . . . His last game against [North Carolina State] was probably the most embarrassing display I've seen from a guy who is supposed to be an elite franchise quarterback. He's erratic. He's everywhere."

Hoge also has concerns about Maye's ability to use his athleticism in a way that will keep him healthy.

"People think his athleticism will translate but people want him to run and they will bust him up," Hoge said. "He is not athletic enough. If he doesn't get down and learn how to do that, he won't last until Week 10."

Quarterbacks tend to get overdrafted, especially with so many teams hoping to roll the dice and emerge with a top-five quarterback, sooner or later. Hoge's opinion is that it won't happen at all, and that the person responsible for taking him will be hearing, "See you later." Sooner than later.

Kiper just released his last mock draft and has the Vikes trading up to 5 for double J; so we know it won’t happen now.
BS

The quintessential Vikings F up.

Get played like a fiddle by Chargers/Harbaugh lying about how good JJ is so they can steal our valuable 2025 first.

So we can draft Mac Jones.

Fing pathetic

BS

The quintessential Vikings F up.

Get played like a fiddle by Chargers/Harbaugh lying about how good JJ is so they can steal our valuable 2025 first.

So we can draft Mac Jones.

Fing pathetic
If we'd have just lost one more game!

Just one!

I don't know if I would really want to be the Bears at #1 this year. Just a lot of noise with Williams to go along with what is really good talent, but far from "generational" talent. At the very least, this is far, far from a slam dunk elite franchise QB pick.

Caleb Williams Wants You To Know He's Faced "Adversity"
You're going to be the face of a historic franchise and very rich in a short time. Don't go on social media, don't put out dumbass quotes, and you can rake in endorsement deals. But nope, trying to get the last word over Twitter is way more important. The more I see of this gives me some hope he turns into Kyler Murray 2.0 for the Bears. Good enough that you can't let him walk and requires a massive contract in the future, but immature enough to prevent him from ever being "great".

Considering the holes on this team (and a quickly improving NFC North)....no matter who we draft....it's likely that the Vikings are looking at a top ten pick next year. You can't give that pick up along with both first rounders this year to move up seven spots and take the FOURTH quarterback in the draft. It sounds silly that it's even being discussed as a possibility.

if the Vikes feel they must get a QB of the Future this year, then they will pay whatever they have to pay to get one.

If they don't get a QBOTF this year, then they really have to land one next year, and the 2025 QB class is, to put it mildly, not as intriguing as this year.

from what I've read so far, the best 2 QB's will be Deion's kid and Drew Allar.

so the $64,000 Question - what will be the Vike's draft situation next year? will they be picking in the top 10? How many other teams will be looking for QB's?

Sure, I suppose the Vikes could tank - intentionally or otherwise - and wind up with a true top-10 pick next year, but I really don't see that happening unless Darnold is truly awful at QB or everything just goes wrong.

You're going to be the face of a historic franchise and very rich in a short time. Don't go on social media, don't put out dumbass quotes, and you can rake in endorsement deals. But nope, trying to get the last word over Twitter is way more important. The more I see of this gives me some hope he turns into Kyler Murray 2.0 for the Bears. Good enough that you can't let him walk and requires a massive contract in the future, but immature enough to prevent him from ever being "great".

In this situation, I'm not even sure what's worse; that Williams and his intolerable dad seem to be kinda dipshits or that the media feels the need to run cover for this "poor young man", that it's completely out of line to criticize him for anything, they need to coddle him like he's a 14 year old. He's a grown man who's about to become the face of the franchise in one of the biggest cities in the country. Good Lord....

Top Bottom