Which QB do the Vikes draft?

Who you got?

• Total voters

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
That is the question 🙋‍♂️ and which draftnicks get it right?

I picked Pennix, because I think they wont give up the assets to take to get to #4. I think the top 3 teams will stay put, and then the GIants will come in and take the last remaining.

However, the vikings intend to trade up. I say that because they signed two EDGE players, which is a strength in the draft. That tells me they dont plan on picking at #11. I just dont think they wil be able to pul it off

We're in a weird spot. I don't love the top 3 guys enough to pay the price to trade up. I also don't love anyone who will be there at 11. Nix does absolutely nothing for me. McCarthy I'm not crazy about, Penix I'm iffy on but somewhat intrigued by. If we absolutely have to take a QB, I trade back later in the first and hope to get Penix, but there isn't a realistic scenario where I walk away thrilled with this QB draft IMO.

We're in a weird spot. I don't love the top 3 guys enough to pay the price to trade up. I also don't love anyone who will be there at 11. Nix does absolutely nothing for me. McCarthy I'm not crazy about, Penix I'm iffy on but somewhat intrigued by. If we absolutely have to take a QB, I trade back later in the first and hope to get Penix, but there isn't a realistic scenario where I walk away thrilled with this QB draft IMO.
If any of the top 4 fall to 7, then I try to move up. You could probably do that for Jordan Addison and #11 straight up. Otherwise, I'd try to trade up into the last 1st and take Pennix too.

I picked Pennix, because I think they wont give up the assets to take to get to #4. I think the top 3 teams will stay put, and then the GIants will come in and take the last remaining.

However, the vikings intend to trade up. I say that because they signed two EDGE players, which is a strength in the draft. That tells me they dont plan on picking at #11. I just dont think they wil be able to pul it off
If Bowers falls to 11, it will be a very valued pick IMO. Trade back in the First Round for Murphy II or Newton at DT and then use the draft capital gained to move back up into the First Round to grab Penix.

Not having our 3rd this year hurts our flexibility. I wonder if we made a call to CIN to inquire about Browning before deciding to sign Darnold? He would've been my choice for a "bridge" QB if reasonably available.

If Bowers falls to 11, it will be a very valued pick IMO. Trade back in the First Round for Murphy II or Newton at DT and then use the draft capital gained to move back up into the First Round to grab Penix.

Not having our 3rd this year hurts our flexibility. I wonder if we made a call to CIN to inquire about Browning before deciding to sign Darnold? He would've been my choice for a "bridge" QB if reasonably available.
With Burrow’s injury history, they probably won’t part with him, if at all possible.

Michael Pratt, QB from Tulane, sometime later on Day 2.

I essentially like any of the top 4; Williams, Daniels, Maye, McCarthy, but I think it will cost too much to move up to get one of them.

I think it depends on this:

how much does it cost to move up?

the Vikings - I believe - demonstrated that they had a limit on what they were willing to pay for Cousins - and were not willing to go as high as Atlanta. Likewise, I think/suspect that the Vikings know exactly how much they are willing to "pay" to move up to the #6 or #7 spot in the draft.

If the cost of moving up is too steep, then I could see the Vikings trading down from 11, adding more draft picks, and trying to get back into the late 1st round or early 2nd round to grab Pennix or Nix (whichever they prefer).

there is a risk/reward question here. If you don't move up, you run the risk of coming away with no new QB - at least no QB that you think is capable of being a multi-year starter.

The Vikings are paying for playing to win after KC was injured. The tank should have been on at that point. Probably could have traded Hunter for at least a late round pick instead of watching him walk. #11 is no man's land for the biggest position of need. But I think the risk of trading back is way too great. I get the idea of taking the best player available regardless of need in the 1st, but if you need a QB, how do you gamble that a Penix is available at 30 or 31 (if you trade back)? Why don't you take him at 11 if you really believe he's your next franchise QB? Very few QBs are sure things in the draft, no matter where you are drafting.

The Vikings are paying for playing to win after KC was injured. The tank should have been on at that point. Probably could have traded Hunter for at least a late round pick instead of watching him walk. #11 is no man's land for the biggest position of need. But I think the risk of trading back is way too great. I get the idea of taking the best player available regardless of need in the 1st, but if you need a QB, how do you gamble that a Penix is available at 30 or 31 (if you trade back)? Why don't you take him at 11 if you really believe he's your next franchise QB? Very few QBs are sure things in the draft, no matter where you are drafting.
I probably shouldn't say this, as QB needy teams do stupid things, but I'm going to anyway. Penix will be available in the 2nd round.

Lose just one more game......how about that 3-0 win in the worst NFL game ever

and we are picking 6th.............just damn!

I say that because they signed two EDGE players, which is a strength in the draft. That tells me they dont plan on picking at #11. I just dont think they wil be able to pul it off
They have holes all over defense, and legitimately can select the first defensive player taken in the draft at #11.

It needs to be defense.

If they take a QB, hoping it's in round 2. Penix works for me

There's a lot of group think that goes along with the top 4-5 quarterbacks. As some have suggested, maybe the Vikes should take the best player available in the first and the top remaining quarterback in the second.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Never apologize for trying to win.

The biggest need is defense. They can take the first defensive player in this draft.
Sure, you can't tell the team to go out and lose, but at the same time, why bring in Dobbs? Save the pick. No way the team was making the playoffs under the best (post KC injury) circumstances and even if it did, it was going nowhere.

And Hunter wasn't coming back. He was on a one year deal with a no tag provision. Everyone knew he was gone after the season. Get something for him at the deadline, even if its a late round pick.

The 2023 Vikings were a flawed team and after the major injuries, why waste the future for an extra victory and a big drop in draft position? It could be argued that the Vikings traded the 6th rounder or whatever they traded for Dobbs and the 6th pick in the 1st round in exchange for a carnival QB and the 11th pick in the draft. That's a bad trade.

To all of those who are clamoring for Penix (assuming he's taken at #42), I'd suggest the Vikes use #11 on the best OL available and look for additional upgrades at G and C. If you watched any Husky football over the past two years you'd know he's possibly less mobile than Kirk is. He's big-bodied enough that he can get you some 4th and 1/goal line conversions. However, he was aided in both stats and health by the best OL in college football. He only played in 21 games over 4 years at Indiana, yet stayed healthy at Washington. I would say that's not a coincidence. He was sacked all of 11 times over 15 games in 2023. For reference, the Vikings allowed 47 sacks in 2023 and 43 in 2022.

https://www.si.com/college/washingt...ive-line-receives-moore-award-as-nations-best

To all of those who are clamoring for Penix (assuming he's taken at #42), I'd suggest the Vikes use #11 on the best OL available and look for additional upgrades at G and C. If you watched any Husky football over the past two years you'd know he's possibly less mobile than Kirk is. He's big-bodied enough that he can get you some 4th and 1/goal line conversions. However, he was aided in both stats and health by the best OL in college football. He only played in 21 games over 4 years at Indiana, yet stayed healthy at Washington. I would say that's not a coincidence. He was sacked all of 11 times over 15 games in 2023. For reference, the Vikings allowed 47 sacks in 2023 and 43 in 2022.

https://www.si.com/college/washingt...ive-line-receives-moore-award-as-nations-best
Even though it's a very deep draft for OT's, that's the last position along with RB that we will select in the First Round. There’s also no Quentin Nelson type OG's worthy of drafting that high.

That doesn't discredit your main point that Penix relies more on OL play for success than others, though. Very true.

I think the Medicals for Penix are going to keep him from getting drafted very high. I'm just not a fan, for many of the reasons you mentioned here. He had one of the best OL in FBS, along with one of the best WR corp in FBS. Important to note, there wasn't a defense in the PAC-12 that ranked in the top 50 in all of FBS. He mopped up against crappy, marginal defenses and showed you who he was against Michigan in the Natty.

I'm just not sold. Two major shoulder injuries, two major knee injuries, that's a whole lot of issues.

I think the Medicals for Penix are going to keep him from getting drafted very high. I'm just not a fan, for many of the reasons you mentioned here. He had one of the best OL in FBS, along with one of the best WR corp in FBS. Important to note, there wasn't a defense in the PAC-12 that ranked in the top 50 in all of FBS. He mopped up against crappy, marginal defenses and showed you who he was against Michigan in the Natty.

I'm just not sold. Two major shoulder injuries, two major knee injuries, that's a whole lot of issues.
FWIW - They said at the combine on the NFL Network that his medical came back clean and that he was throwing darts and was the most impressive of the QBs that threw.

Even though it's a very deep draft for OT's, that's the last position along with RB that we will select in the First Round. There’s also no Quentin Nelson type OG's worthy of drafting that high.

That doesn't discredit your main point that Penix relies more on OL play for success than others, though. Very true.
They should draft Murphy or Newton. They need a DT very badly. They could even trade down to get Newton.

Fair points. I only saw the national semi-final, and he was awesome at sliding around in the pocket. But if we need to beef up our OL that much, maybe he aint it

FWIW - They said at the combine on the NFL Network that his medical came back clean and that he was throwing darts and was the most impressive of the QBs that threw.

I heard that too, but I would bet you dollars to donuts (I think I heard that somewhere?) that there are a number of teams who don't have Penix on their board at all. Everything I've heard from people who have actually got the chance to sit in draft war rooms have said you have NO idea just how much weight previous injury history weighs to these teams on draft stock, like more than you would ever imagine.

It's more than just the injuries for me, I'm just not sure I see enough there, but what do I know either...

I heard that too, but I would bet you dollars to donuts (I think I heard that somewhere?) that there are a number of teams who don't have Penix on their board at all. Everything I've heard from people who have actually got the chance to sit in draft war rooms have said you have NO idea just how much weight previous injury history weighs to these teams on draft stock, like more than you would ever imagine.

It's more than just the injuries for me, I'm just not sure I see enough there, but what do I know either...
Very good points and I’m hugely biased as I tore up my ankle in college and that was it for my diamond dreams ⚾️.

So I root for injured guys more than the average guy. I love the ball he throws and hope he gets a good chance and goes no later than the third room; Riddick said the other day😉, it’s possible 6 could go in the first round. I think he’ll either be a good starter in the league for 5-10 years or flameout and be working a day job in a few years.

Last edited:

Sure, you can't tell the team to go out and lose, but at the same time, why bring in Dobbs? Save the pick. No way the team was making the playoffs under the best (post KC injury) circumstances and even if it did, it was going nowhere.

And Hunter wasn't coming back. He was on a one year deal with a no tag provision. Everyone knew he was gone after the season. Get something for him at the deadline, even if its a late round pick.
All three of these points are just re-saying the same thing you already said.

Hindsight is 20/20.

They were trying to win, trying to make the playoff, trying to win the North, trying to get to an NFC championship game, and who knows from there.

It wasn't obvious, in the moment. You want it to be that way, but it wasn't. Hindsight has clouded it.

The 2023 Vikings were a flawed team and after the major injuries, why waste the future for an extra victory and a big drop in draft position? It could be argued that the Vikings traded the 6th rounder or whatever they traded for Dobbs and the 6th pick in the 1st round in exchange for a carnival QB and the 11th pick in the draft. That's a bad trade.
Hindsight is 20/20.

Never apologize for trying to win.

I think we'll actually trade down from our 11th pick, and I'm hoping that in the 2nd round we'll draft Pratt (from Tulane). Tulane was a terrible team until Pratt took over at QB, and now that he's leaving for the pros, Tulane's coach left as well (to Houston).

Top Bottom