Which QB do the Vikes draft?

Who you got?

• Total voters
All three of these points are just re-saying the same thing you already said.

Hindsight is 20/20.

They were trying to win, trying to make the playoff, trying to win the North, trying to get to an NFC championship game, and who knows from there.

It wasn't obvious, in the moment. You want it to be that way, but it wasn't. Hindsight has clouded it.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Never apologize for trying to win.
i agree with don’t apologize for trying to win.

To be honest, we should be in year 3 of a rebuild, not year 1, if I had my way. But I was wrong and they had a great season two years ago

I think if you love one you try to move up to 4, 5, or 8 to get him. And even are willing to trade JJ to get him. JJ not re-signing without the QB anyways.

If you don’t love any of them, you wait and see who is left at 11 and make a decision.

I’d be fine waiting for round 2 and seeing if Pennix is still there…because I like Sanders, Ewers, and Dart (not necessarily in that order) next year as much as I like some of the guys after Williams.
Pretty tough to make a call having only watched a few games of each of them. But now that you’re in rebuild mode you don’t sell the farm to get a QB you’re only 75% confident in, IMO

I would say
Williams

Big gap
Daniels

Big gap
Maye and Maccarthy - I prefer Maye

Don’t love
Bo Nix

Don’t love until second round
Pennix

I have no idea though

Last edited:

i agree with don’t apologize for trying to win.

To be honest, we should be in year 3 of a rebuild, not year 1, if I had my way. But I was wrong and they had a great season two years ago
I will agree that had 2022 not been so incredible, maybe that would’ve given them some more doubts on what 2023 could have been.

We’ll never know. Maybe they should’ve had this offseason in the offseason between 2021 and 22. Interesting to think about

Could you elaborate on this one please and thank you
JJ is not going to re-sign, in my opinion, unless there is a good QB in place

He is going to get a massive second contract regardless, but will need above average QB play to get a massive third contract so he would rather wait until free agency than re-sign with an unstable QB situation

He is going to get a massive second contract regardless, but will need above average QB play to get a massive third contract so he would rather wait until free agency than re-sign with an unstable QB situation
He also wants to go down as one of the best ever and he can’t do that without a good/great QB either.

OK.

We have to use his 5th year option to get him to play for us this year, then.

I’m sure there are rules that cover this, but hasn’t his rookie contract technically run out and therefore we don’t have the right to trade him?

That’s probably wrong, so first rounders are automatically considered five year contracts, with the team having the option to release or trade after the fourth year. Guessing that’s closer to correct

The only problem with that is the teams with a stable QB, don't typically have 35 million per year to spend on a WR.

The only problem with that is the teams with a stable QB, don't typically have 35 million per year to spend on a WR.
What about $100M guaranteed over the next two years to a 36 year old QB with a blown Achilles??

Bigger cap

I think the best Summer sausage for sale in mn is the old fashioned summer sausage at Schmidt’s in Nicollet. Somebody bought me some and it’s top notch!
I’m going shopping now and I’m gonna buy whatever sausage I can get my hands on.

You are evil 🤓, but in a good way

You need a team willing to give you a massive contract, and those don't grow on trees. Even if JJ hits free agency, the teams willing (and able) to sign him to the contract he's looking for is likely less than 5. He's not going to just be able to pick whom he wants. Most players talk big about "winning" and "being great", but the vast vast majority of them take the most money. Here is a list of the highest paid WR's:

Capture44.JPG

- Tyreek Hill was traded and then resigned to have Tua as his QB.
- Davante Adams was traded and then resigned to have Derek Carr as his QB.
- Cooper Kupp resigned with LA to have Matt Stafford as his QB.
- AJ Brown was traded to the Eagles and resigned to have Jalen Hurts as his QB (after the first full year of Hurts as a QB, where he only threw for 3100 yards).
- Stefon Diggs was traded and then resigned with Buffalo to have Josh Allen as his QB.
- DK Metcalf resigned with Seattle after Russell Wilson had been traded away and before Geno Smith became the starter.
- Deebo Samuel resigned with the 49ers when Jimmy G and Trey Lance were the QB's.
- Terry McLaurin resigned with the Commies when Carson Wentz was the QB.
- Calvin Ridley signed a contract to have Will Levis as his QB.
- Michael Pittman Jr. resigned with the Colts to have Anthony Richardson as his QB.

When all of these deals were made, the only one on that list that had a good/great/elite QB was Stefon Diggs, and he was already in Buffalo. You could maybe argue AJ Brown, but he signed that after Hurts' first season starting where he was much more of a running threat than passing threat. If you're being charitable, you could include Cooper Kupp/Matt Stafford, but again he was already in LA. The theme of these is they either A. Chose to stay where they were, B. Took the most money no matter the QB situation, or C. (most of them) Both.

There isn't a single instance of a WR getting traded (which 4 of them have) and then not re-signing with their new team, which adds to the value of Jefferson. Only 1 on this list was a true FA signing.

5 of them signed contracts with QB's still on their rookie deals (which would be Jefferson's situation).

If the Vikes offer him the right contract, I put the chances at almost zero he doesn't resign here, no matter the QB. It's about the money and wanting to feel like "they value you" or whatever BS players throw out.

Last edited:

Maybe. Sometimes guys take less money to play in better situations. This has happened before. Would he rather make 31 with a good QB or 37 with a bad QB

You’d have to ask him. If the QB is a dumpster fire I don’t think he will re-sign.
I could be wrong

You need a team willing to give you a massive contract, and those don't grow on trees. Even if JJ hits free agency, the teams willing (and able) to sign him to the contract he's looking for is likely less than 5. He's not going to just be able to pick whom he wants. Most players talk big about "winning" and "being great", but the vast vast majority of them take the most money. Here is a list of the highest paid WR's:

View attachment 30563

- AJ Brown was traded to the Eagles and resigned to have Jalen Hurts as his QB (after the first full year of Hurts as a QB, where he only threw for 3100 yards).
- Stefon Diggs was traded and then resigned with Buffalo to have Josh Allen as his QB.
- DK Metcalf resigned with Seattle after Russell Wilson had been traded away and before Geno Smith became the starter.
- Deebo Samuel resigned with the 49ers when Jimmy G and Trey Lance were the QB's.
- Michael Pittman Jr. resigned with the Colts to have Anthony Richardson as his QB.

When all of these deals were made, the only one on that list that had a good/great/elite QB was Stefon Diggs, and he was already in Buffalo. You could maybe argue AJ Brown, but he signed that after Hurts' first season starting where he was much more of a running threat than passing threat. If you're being charitable, you could include Cooper Kupp/Matt Stafford, but again he was already in LA. The theme of these is they either A. Chose to stay where they were, B. Took the most money no matter the QB situation, or C. (most of them) Both.

There isn't a single instance of a WR getting traded (which 4 of them have) and then not re-signing with their new team, which adds to the value of Jefferson. Only 1 on this list was a true FA signing.
True. He may have to decide money and a QB at some point

View attachment 30563

5 of them signed contracts with QB's still on their rookie deals (which would be Jefferson's situation).

If the Vikes offer him the right contract, I put the chances at almost zero he doesn't resign here, no matter the QB. It's about the money and wanting to feel like "they value you" or whatever BS players throw out.
Impressive post/information and the love the data to support your thesis.

A+++++++

Maybe. Sometimes guys take less money to play in better situations. This has happened before. Would he rather make 31 with a good QB or 37 with a bad QB

You’d have to ask him. If the QB is a dumpster fire I don’t think he will re-sign.
I could be wrong
Even if he "only" takes 31, it's pretty hard to juggle a QB and WR both making big money. The Eagles are doing it with Hurts and Brown but they're in big trouble cap wise starting in 2025. Not impossible but pretty difficult long term at least.

I am hoping for many JJ to JJ touchdowns, this upcoming season.

I am hoping for many JJ to JJ touchdowns, this upcoming season.

I'm good with that on both ends; would love to see the Vikings move up and I would love to see the Cardinals get a haul of draft capital for moving down. I don't care how good Marvin Harrison JR is, I just don't like taking a WR as high as #4

I'm good with that on both ends; would love to see the Vikings move up and I would love to see the Cardinals get a haul of draft capital for moving down. I don't care how good Marvin Harrison JR is, I just don't like taking a WR as high as #4
Yup as I posted previously, no WR drafted in the Top 5 has ever played in a SB for the team whuch drafted him.

That team has more holes than Swiss 🧀 cheese

Last edited:

Given the trade i now think it will be JJ

For all the McCarthy haters, especially those that were so frustrated with Cousins' play in "big games"... McCarthy in the last two years at Michigan:

- 2-0 record against Ohio State, the biggest of games, the best competition
- 2-0 record in the B1G Champ game
- 2-1 record in the CFP playoffs with a Natty under his belt.

Just throwin' that out there.... I'd prefer Drake Maye, but I don't think they can move up far enough to get him.

For all the McCarthy haters, especially those that were so frustrated with Cousins' play in "big games"... McCarthy in the last two years at Michigan:

Just throwin' that out there.... I'd prefer Drake Maye, but I don't think they can move up far enough to get him.

McCarthy has only lost 3 games total as a starter between HS and college. And he was only 19 and 20 years old the two years he started at Michigan.

NFL Evaluations -

McCarthy has only lost 3 games total as a starter between HS and college. And he was only 19 and 20 years old the two years he started at Michigan.
Having a great team around you to win games for you will do that! :cool:

“They have to draft a QB this year” is horse dung.

If they don’t in their heart of hearts think JJM is going to end up any better than Mac Jones — who also won a lot of games in college! — then absolutely do not waste further assets trading up for him.

If he falls to 11 fine.

I think this private workout is that sanity check and also subterfuge.

“They have to draft a QB this year” is horse dung.

If they don’t in their heart of hearts think JJM is going to end up any better than Mac Jones — who also won a lot of games in college! — then absolutely do not waste further assets trading up for him.

If he falls to 11 fine.

I think this private workout is that sanity check and also subterfuge.
You sure compare a lot of QBs to Mac Jones. Did that dude kick your dog or something? And is every QB prospect the next Mac Jones, or are some of them not Mac Jones?

Although I’m a JJ fan, I desperately want the Vikes to draft Maye just so I can continually flip between “I hate the Drake” and “I love the Drake”.

I wonder if/how many Seinfeld fans were influenced to name their kid Drake?

And is Drake a fan of Seinfeld and that’s how he came up with his stage name?

Top Bottom