When do you bench Tanner?

That one was a great throw.

Now do the other ones.

You said he constantly underthrows receivers which is demonstrably false, but you exaggerated or fibbed (ie lied) for effect. Nice try.

He sometimes underthrows receivers would be more accurate, or he underthrows receivers more than I’d prefer, or he underthrows at in-opportune times - when he’s not throwing dimes.

He’s been inconsistent. Is that fair?

No, if the throw is a bit off, as ALL college QBs frequently are it’s a problem making a contested catch with a DBs arms draped over the receiver.

Better than an INT. Give someone a chance to make a play. Is that the best decision? I don’t know.
Well ... one thing for sure: you're not actually making the argument that Tanner is merely choosing to throw all these balls off, on purpose.

That'd be silly.

So let us know what your actual position, is.

Our current receivers also rarely bale our QB out.

Yeah, for all the recruiting effort put into that area it’s distressing the best WRs are a former MAC-level recruit and a transfer with an (I’m guessing here) apparent attitude issue. We need more playmakers and 9 and 22 have been wildly inconsistent. I won’t say they are constantly dropping catchable balls (for effect) because that would be untrue.

Don’t know for sure about Morgan, but Trickett shouldn’t see the field again.
You have to think, what is it about Fleck and kickers? He uses the stupid squirting water at them when they kick in practice and some other stupid things. The kicker he inherited when he got here got worse and Trickrtt has gotten worse. I don’t think Fleck knows how to manage kickers. In fact, I think he is very bad at it.

Never seen a coach squirt water at a kicker during a game. It’s not exactly simulating a game situation. I understand it’s trying to rule out distractions and focus the kicker, but it’s so silly and gimmicky to me.

I said he throws behind the receiver.

Which happened yesterday.

I would have to see the cut up of every attempt, back-to-back.

Maybe the throws behind were sticking out in my mind, unfairly.

You said constantly either way. Which is false. Time to backtrack.

You are spot on. If they had improvised better it would’ve been nice

Nice job changing you story from there were guys open to they should’ve run scramble drill better
Oh lord. You guys and what you think you understand...

Bottom line: Tanner looks to be focused downfield while he has two mid range options available. I agree he takes the deep shot if he has it, but he's got to make a quick enough decision before the receiver outruns his arm (which isn't terribly far for our hero). He has two viable options underneath as the image shows.

If you listened to the TV broadcast, the one announcer was less than impressed with Tanner's ball placement or velocity.

Would you also like to argue from where the sun will set tonight? You go first.

but he's got to make a quick enough decision before the receiver outruns his arm (which isn't terribly far for our hero).

If you listened to the TV broadcast, the one announcer was less than impressed with Tanner's ball placement or velocity.
Yep.

Wish I could see a cut-up of every attempt back to back, even if just say from the Penn St game onward, in 2019 and contrast that with say the last five games this season.

Curious to know if he has always been throwing the ball behind guys, and TJ and Bateman just made up for that, or if it has been worse this year.

Yep.

Wish I could see a cut-up of every attempt back to back, even if just say from the Penn St game onward, in 2019 and contrast that with say the last five games this season.

Curious to know if he has always been throwing the ball behind guys, and TJ and Bateman just made up for that, or if it has been worse this year.
When Tanner is on platform, he's accurate and has good velocity. It was easier for him to be on platform when he was running the RPOs on a regular basis. When the protection starts to break-down, so does Tanner. I believe this is why we are seeing accuracy and velocity issues. Velocity impacts accuracy and he's not compensating for it when he's off platform. He doesn't move well in the pocket either. But, that's my take. I'm sure this will get picked apart as well.

When Tanner is on platform, he's accurate and has good velocity. It was easier for him to be on platform when he was running the RPOs on a regular basis. When the protection starts to break-down, so does Tanner. I believe this is why we are seeing accuracy and velocity issues. Velocity impacts accuracy and he's not compensating for it when he's off platform. He doesn't move well in the pocket either. But, that's my take. I'm sure this will get picked apart as well.
I believe this, all day.

And also, as soon as he senses pressure and starts to run for it, you almost know it's doomed. Though he did have one nice one yesterday where he actually did get away and made something out of it.

Wrong, and wrong.

When protection breaks down a QB gets erratic? Sure. Every QB.

When a QB has 3 seconds or less to go through options bad things happen, open receivers may be missed.

Story at 11.

WTF?!?!?!?!

JK. I agree with your take.

Tanner can be an accurate passer when he has a good base but he really struggles off platform. One of the things (IMO) that has really hurt him this year is that his feet also seem a bit "happier" which means even more throws are not coming from a solid base.

While Sanford deserves quite a bit of flack, Morgan has also really struggled at times.

If you think a new, inexperienced or untested college QB is going to come in and perform perfectly versus the elite defenses coming up, I’d say you’re crazy. Maybe you just want to see the world burn. Maybe you’re a MN homer and want ZA to get a chance. I don’t know.

I doubt it would go well, but I’ve been wrong before. Maybe Tanner is done, mentally. Checked out. The yips are a legit phenomenon.

If you think a new, inexperienced or untested college QB is going to come in and perform perfectly versus the elite defenses coming up, I’d say you’re crazy. Maybe you just want to see the world burn. Maybe you’re a MN homer and want ZA to get a chance. I don’t know.

I doubt it would go well, but I’ve been wrong before. Maybe Tanner is done, mentally. Checked out. The yips are a legit phenomenon.
Honestly, I don't know if it's time to move on from Tanner. I don't think he's played well but I have no idea if ZA could play better. I do know that Tanner seems pretty uncomfortable with our current offense. I think it's partially him. I think it's a lot Sanford.

I'd probably stick with Tanner but I think that leash has to be really short. It's not so much because I know what ZA will do, but at some point, you just need to choose whatever is behind door #2.

You are spot on. If they had improvised better it would’ve been nice

Nice job changing you story from there were guys open to they should’ve run scramble drill better
He had guys open several times. He sometimes didn't see them and other times was panicked and running backwards and unable to throw.

I do not expect perfection. I'd like to see an improvement from the position.

Tanner ain't getting benched for Iowa.

Bet every cent you have.

Not worth discussing if he should be.

If things go really bad against Iowa, then maybe we could talk about it.

Honestly, I don't know if it's time to move on from Tanner. I don't think he's played well but I have no idea if ZA could play better. I do know that Tanner seems pretty uncomfortable with our current offense. I think it's partially him. I think it's a lot Sanford.

I'd probably stick with Tanner but I think that leash has to be really short. It's not so much because I know what ZA will do, but at some point, you just need to choose whatever is behind door #2.

He‘s completing around 60 percent of his passes. His TD numbers are way down but that’s partly because of the tendency to go with 12 at QB or otherwise pound in the red zone.

I agree we are not a good or consistent passing team right now, but we also put the ball in the air significantly less than any other Big Ten team.

The question before us is why TM2 is struggling. There are various takes and hot takes on that (like he sucks and can’t throw) and ridiculous expectations of greatness on lower percentage plays.

Personally, I don’t want to throw the season just to see if TM2 is the problem when it’s pretty clear he is at most only part of the issue.

He had guys open several times. He sometimes didn't see them and other times was panicked and running backwards and unable to throw.

I saw linemen getting steamrolled and a QB trying to evade pressure. Sure, that sets up a lower chance of a successful play.

You don’t need to be a dick to make a point. He hardly ever throws off his back foot, fact. He has good form the vast majority of the time, fact. He made bad decisions and his accuracy was off yesterday, yep.
His accuracy has been off a lot all year. He does not ever show good form when running backward rather than stepping up in the pocket as Sanford and you should have taught him.

And the early tipped pick was going to be intercepted even if not slightly tipped. An Illinois guy was right in front of the receiver and easily reading Tanner all the way. Guy actually had to move a step to pick deflection. If not tipped would have been an easier pick.

Having a guy open for a split second away from your read isn’t the same thing as “having guys open”

he isn’t watching from a blimp.

Having a guy open for a split second away from your read isn’t the same thing as “having guys open”

he isn’t watching from a blimp.
Would you care to explain how your progressions would work? At what point would you determine when to throw and when to check down? What are the things you're looking for?

Would you care to explain how your progressions would work? At what point would you determine when to throw and when to check down? What are the things you're looking for?
It depends on they way you’re reading it. Morgan right now is reading deep to shallow. Often times there isn’t a check down

Bateman and Johnson were so good they made Morgan look better than he really is. I just watched Bateman against the Vikings and he completely changed his route when the QB was in trouble and drew an interference call eventually resulting in a Baltimore touchdown. Bateman is a great pass catcher who has speed and SMARTS. The announcers are really impressed with him.

Gophs currently have an veteran, experienced college QB who has not performed against several marginal defenses. He's averaging 150 yards passing with 6 TD and 7 INT, and has not thrown a TD pass in three games.

Top Bottom