When do you bench Tanner?

I'd have to think that ZA is just dying to get on the
So are a lot of guys. Doesn't mean they should play.
The DC does not agree with you. He thinks guys should play when the one ahead falters. He checks out lots of players in game conditions. He elevated Walley ahead of a starting senior.

There is an Illini player draped over his back. WTF?
I think you and I just see the play differently. Once Tanner sees the receiver, the receiver should take off towards the sideline where Tanner should have the ball waiting for him. That dude draped 1 yard off his back is going to have to follow behind, no?

I think you and I just see the play differently. Once Tanner sees the receiver, the receiver should take off towards the sideline where Tanner should have the ball waiting for him. That dude draped 1 yard off his back is going to have to follow behind, no?

Yep, we see it differently.

The DC does not agree with you. He thinks guys should play when the one ahead falters. He checks out lots of players in game conditions. He elevated Walley ahead of a starting senior.
The DC plays guys just because they really want to play? Not because they are good but just because they want to play?

No doubt not having Bateman and TJ has really affected Tanner. In general, you are correct other than CRAB most of our receivers don't get separation but MBS22 was wide open across the middle a few times while TM2 was staring down a different receiver. His 3 second clock has been broken and he does not move through his progressions well.
His 3 second clock starts on the count of six.

The DC plays guys just because they really want to play? Not because they are good but just because they want to play?
Everybody wants to play. But he moves someone up because the man ahead is not performing up to the standards of the football team. Right now both Schlueter and Morgan are not playing to the team standard. That would logically demand trying others.

Quick pressure and little time to assess options leads to a nervous, inefficient QB.

It doesn't help but the are QBs all over college football who step up in the pocket and throw driving legs forward in face of pressure. Morgan panics and runs away from the line and throwing falling away.

Don’t love PJ saying it is Tanners job no question. Sometimes just making the change adds a little spark.

Look at the numbers and the eye test. Options should be entertained here.

OC clearly still the main issue though.

Everybody wants to play. But he moves someone up because the man ahead is not performing up to the standards of the football team. Right now both Schlueter and Morgan are not playing to the team standard. That would logically demand trying others.
I've never been impressed with Annexstad...maybe he isn't as good as Morgan?

It doesn't help but the are QBs all over college football who step up in the pocket and throw driving legs forward in face of pressure. Morgan panics and runs away from the line and throwing falling away.

It is very rare to see him throw off his back foot. He almost always has excellent delivery including on the move.

I am going to strongly disagree that guys were open. A guy breaking open for a split second 4.5 seconds into a drop when he is the 3-4th progression isn’t open

People complain we don’t run slants anymore. We ran slants all day today and they couldn’t get seperation.

today was a recruiting and/or depth loss at the wideout position
Yeah this is what I saw too. The Illini were stride for stride on most routes.

Bielema said hey studied the BGSU and other films. They concluded that loading the left side puts pressure on Tanner to make bad decisions. They better figure something out before the Iowa game.

I think that the argument of “Tanner gives us the best chance of winning” that comes from PJ and others is scary when you think about what is being said.

PJ is telling the rest of his QBs that they are not good enough to even come in for one series

I've never been impressed with Annexstad...maybe he isn't as good as Morgan?

Maybe he isn't, but we also haven't seen Annexstad play meaningful minutes in a game for 3 years and he was a true freshman.

You can't do much worse than Morgan at QB right now.

View attachment 15168
#88 Wide open and still doesn't see him
Nice job finding a screen shot of one guy who is kind of open while the quarterback is flushed away from him.

As I said, a guy being open for a split second 4 seconds into a pass drop as the 3-4th progression doesn’t really mean we had guys wide open all day.

Did he miss some guys? I’m sure he did, as every QB does every week. The wideouts were more a problem than the qb yesterday

His 3 second clock starts on the count of six.
He is late with the ball no doubt. If he is on time with the ball he is throwing to covered wideouts.

I blame yesterday on the following parties:
1) wideouts can’t get open
2) coaches didn’t adjust to route combos that took advantage of what Illinois was doing
3) o line that is supposed to be our strength wasn’t yesterday
4) QB was a distant 4th problem

Tanner doesn’t look right. He’s not playing well, but he hasn’t had any favors from his protection or scheme. I’m in the camp the coaches have ruined him. I’m in the camp of get rid of the OC, not the QB. Three big games coming up.
Staff changes will be made in off-season, not with three games left.

He is late with the ball no doubt. If he is on time with the ball he is throwing to covered wideouts.

I blame yesterday on the following parties:
1) wideouts can’t get open
2) coaches didn’t adjust to route combos that took advantage of what Illinois was doing
3) o line that is supposed to be our strength wasn’t yesterday
4) QB was a distant 4th problem

I'm not going to say there were WRs running open all day, but there were plenty of opportunities to hit open WRs that would have changed the game. Part of the reason they are not getting open earlier is due to poor play calling and routes that take too long to develop.

The o line wasn't good yesterday, but there were plenty of times were Morgan panic'd and starting scrambling when everyone was still pretty well blocked. He just needed to step up and make a throw. On top of that he was making very poor decisions most of the day. He was a big reason for the offensive failures.

View attachment 15166
two open here and a pick.
Well the guy on the top of the screen is open on the side of the field he is reading. The guy on the bottom of the screen isn’t on the side he is reading. He looks like he is looking past it.
Part of the issue might be is he is reading progressions from deep to shallow rather than shallow to deep. Guy on top is open right now, by the time the deep route develops and is covered that space is closed.
I think it is definitely a scheme/progression issue.

I'm not going to say there were WRs running open all day, but there were plenty of opportunities to hit open WRs that would have changed the game. Part of the reason they are not getting open earlier is due to poor play calling and routes that take too long to develop.

The o line wasn't good yesterday, but there were plenty of times were Morgan panic'd and starting scrambling when everyone was still pretty well blocked. He just needed to step up and make a throw. On top of that he was making very poor decisions most of the day. He was a big reason for the offensive failures.
The coaches were not calling route combos that led to open guys.
Morgan WAS a problem yesterday. But a distant 4th problem to the wideouts not getting open on the route combos that were called: especially the primary read not getting open.

Top Bottom