When do you bench Tanner?

The route calls and progressions were not well thought out. Today was a bad preparation and execution game. I will grant it is tough being down to your 4th and 5th string backs that are inexperienced and don't have man strength yet.
Yeah I agree with this.
I’m sure there were a dozen plays people could take a screenshot of open wideouts and I’m sure almost every time it was late breaking or away from the QBs read.

If the QB is going through the progression in the wrong order, bench him. If he was going through in the correct order it’s more on the guys not getting open and on the guy who called a play his players couldn’t execute.

that being said, QB held ball too long too. Sometimes you have to throw guys open.

i personally feel the gophers needed to run more 3 man combos out of 3x1 sets yesterday and quick passing game.
We were running 2 and 3 receiver play action concepts and nobody was there.

No QB gets 5 or 6 seconds to hold the ball. Run the stopwatch on your phone. It doesn't happen very often.
He's not standing in a clean pocket. He's falling back and running to his right trying to escape because he failed to get rid of it on time.

I think you and I just see the play differently. Once Tanner sees the receiver, the receiver should take off towards the sideline where Tanner should have the ball waiting for him. That dude draped 1 yard off his back is going to have to follow behind, no?
So you want to have the guys run a different play mid play in hindsight?
That does work 100% of the time I guess

The coaches were not calling route combos that led to open guys.
Morgan WAS a problem yesterday. But a distant 4th problem to the wideouts not getting open on the route combos that were called: especially the primary read not getting open.
Despite the poor route combos, there were still guys getting open. Morgan just didn't see it.
Play calling was the #1 problem, Morgan was #2.

I've never been impressed with Annexstad...maybe he isn't as good as Morgan?
If we don't have a better QB than Morgan's performance yesterday we are not a good offense.

I'm not gonna say Morgan was great today but with our O-line play and poor play calling I don't think anyone would have done much better. Especially not an inexperienced QB that's always on our bench.
So you won't go so far as to say he was great. Was he good?

So you want to have the guys run a different play mid play in hindsight?
That does work 100% of the time I guess
LOL. It's apparent who has been away from modern football for a while. Plays breakdown. There's always other options. Surely you've watched enough high level football to see QB's and WR's improvise when a play goes south. Then again, if you just watch the Gophers and the Vikings I can understand the lack of that concept...

LOL. It's apparent who has been away from modern football for a while. Plays breakdown. There's always other options. Surely you've watched enough high level football to see QB's and WR's improvise when a play goes south. Then again, if you just watch the Gophers and the Vikings I can understand the lack of that concept...
You are spot on. If they had improvised better it would’ve been nice

Nice job changing you story from there were guys open to they should’ve run scramble drill better

We were asking the same thing in 2018 with ZA.

Unless Tanner gets injured, he's not coming off the field.

There are times when a QB can "throw" a WR open with a well-placed ball. Put it out in front of the WR and let him go get it.

Morgan - all year long - has been throwing behind receivers and not putting the ball out in front of them.

Listened to Gaard and Burns on KFAN. Gaard was against changing QB's. Burns was more critical. he said Morgan was "seeing ghosts" all day long. Basically said that when Morgan gets pressured early in a game, he gets happy feet and doesn't go through his progressions.

And - they also raised the possibility that Morgan comes back for another year, because he has covid eligibility remaining. Oh, Joy.

There are times when a QB can "throw" a WR open with a well-placed ball. Put it out in front of the WR and let him go get it.

Morgan - all year long - has been throwing behind receivers and not putting the ball out in front of them.

Listened to Gaard and Burns on KFAN. Gaard was against changing QB's. Burns was more critical. he said Morgan was "seeing ghosts" all day long. Basically said that when Morgan gets pressured early in a game, he gets happy feet and doesn't go through his progressions.

And - they also raised the possibility that Morgan comes back for another year, because he has covid eligibility remaining. Oh, Joy.
Paragraph #1 is spot on. Guys weren’t open yesterday. But Morgan has to give them a chance to make a play. At least two of our top 10 offense plays were throwing to covered guys and drawing Pass Interference

Hum mm ... Maybe you have been assisting Sanford as QB coach.

You don’t need to be a dick to make a point. He hardly ever throws off his back foot, fact. He has good form the vast majority of the time, fact. He made bad decisions and his accuracy was off yesterday, yep.

Quick pressure and little time to assess options leads to a nervous, inefficient QB.

But he has constantly thrown the ball behind the receivers. That doesn't help anything. Not at all his blame alone, not saying that.

Maybe I just expect way too much out of a college, even at P5 level, QB. Maybe there are only really one or two awesome QB's that don't throw it behind the receiver a lot of the time.

All college QBs throw a bit behind WRs at times, some more than others, particularly on crossing type routes. It’s more of a problem with our receivers because they are rarely wide open. It also appears there is too much defensive player traffic in the middle of the field at times and the throws are purposefully “off” to avoid INTs or batted balls with the expectation the receiver will adjust and make a play.

Not defending his play yesterday, or other mistakes this year.

But he has constantly thrown the ball behind the receivers. That doesn't help anything. Not at all his blame alone, not saying that.

No he hasn’t. What games are you guys watching?

Tanner must have a highlight reel or two of him throwing behind receivers….

Maybe I just expect way too much out of a college, even at P5 level, QB. Maybe there are only really one or two awesome QB's that don't throw it behind the receiver a lot of the time.

Correct. You can always tell NFL fans here.

So you won't go so far as to say he was great. Was he good?
I would say he did about as much as he could given the circumstances. Have you seen how bad Mahomes is with no O-line?

Can’t change QB this week going against the all-world defensive secondary from Iowa.

Morgans sweet spot has always been the short to mid game.

Anything beyond that, he throws behind or ahead of the WR 99% of the time.

How can PJ not see the regression Tanner has made under Sanford.

PJ has recruited good WRs.

Sanford either needs to go, or to save face, PJ needs to let someone else call the plays the rest of the year and help Sanford move on at the end of the year.

it wouldnt surprise me that if we drop a goose egg the rest of year, we see some surprising names in the transfer portal on offense simply because the players know how much talent there is on the offensive side but its being used incorrectly

It’s more of a problem with our receivers because they are rarely wide open.
Not being wide open, makes you throw it behind them more?

That makes no sense.

the throws are purposefully “off” to avoid INTs
So you throw it behind our guy, so that the ball is closer to their guy trailing right behind?

That makes no sense.

Yeah I agree with this.
I’m sure there were a dozen plays people could take a screenshot of open wideouts and I’m sure almost every time it was late breaking or away from the QBs read.

If the QB is going through the progression in the wrong order, bench him. If he was going through in the correct order it’s more on the guys not getting open and on the guy who called a play his players couldn’t execute.

that being said, QB held ball too long too. Sometimes you have to throw guys open.

i personally feel the gophers needed to run more 3 man combos out of 3x1 sets yesterday and quick passing game.
We were running 2 and 3 receiver play action concepts and nobody was there.
Or maybe he's not going through his progressions.

Not being wide open, makes you throw it behind them more?

That makes no sense.

So you throw it behind our guy, so that the ball is closer to their guy trailing right behind?

That makes no sense.

No, if the throw is a bit off, as ALL college QBs frequently are it’s a problem making a contested catch with a DBs arms draped over the receiver.

Better than an INT. Give someone a chance to make a play. Is that the best decision? I don’t know. I suppose the film room breakdown answers that. Get back to me.

All college QBs throw a bit behind WRs at times, some more than others, particularly on crossing type routes. It’s more of a problem with our receivers because they are rarely wide open. It also appears there is too much defensive player traffic in the middle of the field at times and the throws are purposefully “off” to avoid INTs or batted balls with the expectation the receiver will adjust and make a play.

Not defending his play yesterday, or other mistakes this year.
Our current receivers also rarely bale our QB out.

Top Bottom