What is the number one change you'd make to the cuurrent program?

It's tough to recruit top-end WR here when you're committed to running as much as we do. The perplexing thing is, why is Taylor our only playable RB? I know we lost Bucky Irving, Potts, others....the question is, why? We run all the time and have used multiple backs most seasons. Tyler is a MAC player, at best. Williams...why he was ever recruited here i'll never know. Our RB room should be stocked.
All good points, at times with recruiting, I think PJ thinks he's recruiting for WMU and not players to compete at a B1G level. With RBs, where is Zack Evans?

An NIL collective that creates real annd lucrative endorsement opportunities for revenue sports athletes with local business and corporations.

But he didn't. And failed miserably. It just wasn't a necessary risk IMO. Kramer still has to be better though of course.
The reasons it was a good call
No matter where that ball was thrown, the defender was behind the receiver and had a shorter path to the ball.
Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Safeties

Subhead: A tale of an Unsafe Safety and a Safe Safety

Not Buried Lede: Some GHers are bonkers

The Unsafe Safety: While the Gopher defensive staff was waiting for the game to start, Maye was lining up his team to quick snap a play against an open field. He decided to have a little fun and sent a tight end straight to the endzone. Not his all-world wide receiver, a big ole tight end fellow. He figured, with 15 Gophers milling around the sideline waiting to find out who would take the field, that if his tight end could do 40 in under eight seconds he would have an easy TD.

By the time our staff realized there was a football game nearby the tight end was half way home. Being low man on the seniority pole, Aidan Gousby set forth to play the role on national TV of the safety letting a tight end get 20 yards behind him. Would not have been a good look to send Nubin on the thankless task.

Gousby, being a guy with really good speed, closed the gap and made the tackle on the one. But the din on GH was all about "No. 7 is awful ... No. 7 is not ready ... why is No. 7 even on the field? (Gousby was wondering the same thing).

"Don't let 'em pick guitars and drive in old trucks."

The Safe Safety: AK has cramps. Kramer is in. Taylor has cramps. Harbaugh calls a great play. Jackson runs a great route, turning the safety around like a top. If the ball is thrown to the route, Jackson is open in the endzone by 10 yards. Sadly, Kramer gets a blitzer (unblocked) in his face and turns his body slightly during the throw. It is woefully errant.

The Safe Safety, who has been beat like a baby seal, has a football drop out of the sky into his hands despite being on the wrong side of the field.

GHers bleat ... great coverage ... he's behind the receiver. The NC Safe Safety is All Pro.

"Let 'em be doctors and lawyers and such."

Most OCs look good with Maye. And Longo is now sucking at wisky.
He looked good developing sam Howell also. And he is running an air raid offense at Wisconsin with essentially a power run offense personnel. I imagine
That isn't an AK problem, as Tanner was doing the same thing. The pass plays sometimes have only one read, sometimes two. If you really watch the WR, they run their route and look (or don't look) back for a throw which tells me when they aren't looking back that they know there is no chance of them being targeted on that particular play.
And you can still look the other way or look it off until you're ready to throw to option one.

Two main changes. 1). Hire a new OL coach. Someone who preaches “use your eyes” when you are engaged.” You will see the LB stunt or the lopping lineman. 2). Recruit more speed on defense regardless the stars or position. Fast guys are always luckily than slow guys.

He looked good developing sam Howell also. And he is running an air raid offense at Wisconsin with essentially a power run offense personnel. I imagine
And you can still look the other way or look it off until you're ready to throw to option one.
Sam Howell and Drake Maye were both very highly rated out of high school.

There is a lot of money in this state, but it seems that little of it has ties to the U, and even less so ties to the U football and basketball programs. Look at the amount of donor money that flows into St. Thomas for buildings and facilities.
Hard to believe with all the alum that have been there and the fact it’s right in mpls. St Thomas definitely seems to suck up some cash with those facilities.

Why did they need to practice indoors? Was the weather that bad in MN this last week? Do they not have outdoor practice fields?
They do not practice indoors unless the weather does not permit it. Just like everyone else.

Regarding the Kramer pass for an interception in the the end zone...was that his first pass of the season or this game at least?
I also don't believe he had a chance to play catch on the sidelines before coming in?
My point: I think you are asking a lot of a guy if that is one of his first passes for the season and on top of that he's not loose.
Also, thought he should have played at the end of game two....so at least some of the butterflies are gone. Last year is a lifetime ago.

Hard to believe with all the alum that have been there and the fact it’s right in mpls. St Thomas definitely seems to suck up some cash with those facilities.
The donor money that flows to UST is not comparable to that going to the U.

Regarding the Kramer pass for an interception in the the end zone...was that his first pass of the season or this game at least?
I also don't believe he had a chance to play catch on the sidelines before coming in?
My point: I think you are asking a lot of a guy if that is one of his first passes for the season and on top of that he's not loose.
Also, thought he should have played at the end of game two....so at least some of the butterflies are gone. Last year is a lifetime ago.
He's the third best throwing QB on the team, came in cold, and was asked to throw what was about a 50 yard pass. No reason to call that play with him in.

I would almost guarantee that UST will have a bigger NIL budget for basketball than the Gophers within five years. If not sooner.

There's much more than sports for reasons that folks donate to the U. It dwarfs donations to UST.

A play or two away multiple years would suggest the talent level isn’t drastically lagging in my opinion. Some of it is just tough luck.
They’ve also been a play or two away from losing some of those games. Goes both ways

Don't disagree with what you have to say but feel like you are burying the lead a little. The 7th start part is important.....than is still a very young inexperienced player. He is not a finished product and should get better as he plays more.
Correct.

Deep shot with Kramer on first.
Taking Taylor out and having Athan run a bootleg on 3rd and 2 in the 4th
Punting on 4th and 3
Passing twice after having 1st and goal from the five and settling for a field goal

Not good decisions. It’s as if they were not watching Athan perform.
agree. I'm fed up with Fleck. He is not a good game coach. I'm sick of his hype and gimmicks. This is the Northwestern season. I'm sick of that. And change your best. Come on. Coach and win.

I’d go back in time and stop the 2020 season from being cancelled, then uncancelled, then George Floyd happening… Going into that season it looked like we had a skyrocketing trajectory… now it’s taking a slower approach to breakthrough.

I do think Fleck could benefit from having a sort of D&A person that helped inform some decisions on general feel for the game (agree with others the punt on 4th and 3 was a doomed decision), but most of the crying over spilt milk on the forum this week is extremely misplaced.

Iowa and Wisconsin did that very thing for years...compete like a top 20 team. There are plenty other examples
Until the Gophers recruit like a top 20 team in the nation, they will have a hard team competing like one. We can complain about coaches, play calls, schemes, practice facilities, etc. but the biggest difference between the Gophers and North Carolina, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and others is talent.
According to the news stories on recruiting every year in June we do recruit in the top 20. Signing day, however is another story.

Putting North Carolina in a group with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and other so called "Helmet" schools is excuse making for a program that hired a "master recruiter" 7 years ago and was thoroughly outclassed and out coached.

North Carolina is not historically a top program, unless you are talking basketball.

There's much more than sports for reasons that folks donate to the U. It dwarfs donations to UST.
Absolutely. The amount of overall donor money to a school the size of the U is huge, whether for scholarships, research grants, foundations, etc. It's an extremely important institution - all the B1G schools are. (yes, even Nebraska).

But speaking specifically about sports here, I stand by my position that UST will have a larger NIL spend in basketball than the Gophers in five years.

A single wealthy person can make that true. Set up (fake) NIL deals and pay the starting five $1M each.

OK. What does that prove? Other than NIL is a scam and a joke.

We’re talking about sports on a football blog. But— serious question— why would not a small portion of the TV money be used for NIL?

Iowa and Wisconsin did that very thing for years...compete like a top 20 team. There are plenty other examples

According to the news stories on recruiting every year in June we do recruit in the top 20. Signing day, however is another story.

Putting North Carolina in a group with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and other so called "Helmet" schools is excuse making for a program that hired a "master recruiter" 7 years ago and was thoroughly outclassed and out coached.

North Carolina is not historically a top program, unless you are talking basketball.
UNC is way easier to recruit to. I don’t know why people thought Fleck would recruit so great here. He recruited well in the MAC, it was an unknown how that would translate to a P5 conference. I expected him to be between Kill and Brewster (who was actually considered a master recruiter), which is where he has been.

We’re talking about sports on a football blog. But— serious question— why would not a small portion of the TV money be used for NIL?
I assume that would be considered a direct donation/cash contribution, which is illegal.

Top Bottom