What is the number one change you'd make to the cuurrent program?

We’re talking about sports on a football blog. But— serious question— why would not a small portion of the TV money be used for NIL?
Because the TV money goes to the school, and the school can't pay the players?

Iowa and Wisconsin did that very thing for years...compete like a top 20 team. There are plenty other examples

According to the news stories on recruiting every year in June we do recruit in the top 20. Signing day, however is another story.

Putting North Carolina in a group with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and other so called "Helmet" schools is excuse making for a program that hired a "master recruiter" 7 years ago and was thoroughly outclassed and out coached.

North Carolina is not historically a top program, unless you are talking basketball.
Now don’t attack me, I’m just trying to figure out your statement. What does the bolded have to do with anything because they are good this year (and much improved since Mack came back overall since 2019).

Would it be against the NCAA rules for the U athletic dept to make a donation to our NIL collective?

I’m thinking it would be, but I’m not actually certain that scenario is covered in the latest clarifications.

Because no school (athletic dept) would ever do that.

Until the Gophers recruit like a top 20 team in the nation, they will have a hard team competing like one. We can complain about coaches, play calls, schemes, practice facilities, etc. but the biggest difference between the Gophers and North Carolina, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and others is talent.
I agree with the sentiment - BUT, I really didn't think the talent gap was that great with UNC - setting aside the QB play we were fine. We beat them in the trenches on both sides of the ball most of the game.

North Carolina is not historically a top program, unless you are talking basketball.
Not going to bother with the troll parts of your comment but your North Carolina line is just dumb. Historical doesn't really matter in terms of 2023 where North Carolina clearly has a really strong team led by an extremely good QB who is soon going to be making millions in the NFL.

Reactions: PSJ

UNC had outstanding LB play. Those were dudes. Isn’t one an All-American?

I agree with the sentiment - BUT, I really didn't think the talent gap was that great with UNC - setting aside the QB play we were fine. We beat them in the trenches on both sides of the ball most of the game.
Yep, our QB had a rough game, theirs didn't. If Athan makes some of the plays that were there to be made that game could have turned out very different. Obviously can't put it all on one guy but Athan seems very aware that he played poorly against NC and has to do better going forward.

I suspect that if someone sued the NCAA on those grounds, they'd win.
What you or I suspect is not grounds for the NCAA to ignore sensible policy. Lawsuits would follow but may not have as much weight as before. Rule would not prevent players from benefiting from their contributions to revenue. It would only designate the source of payments.

No offense to AK, but get a QB who can run. It opens up so much more offense, when things break down on a play.

No offense to AK, but get a QB who can run. It opens up so much more offense, when things break down on a play.
I actually think he’s got the ability be a great runner, but he’s so coached up to find a place to fall over so that he doesn’t get hit it takes his natural ability away. He’s really pretty damn fast when he’s not cramping up.

Have Jeff Bezos and Elon Musk donate 100 Billion dollars for the Gopher football program.

Its always so much easier to soend someone elses money

I thought he's been pretty decent running.... his slide needs work though.

I would agree that he is a decent runner. I don't want to engage in an Athan vs. Tanner competition but I think Athan's slides are better than Tanner's. I'm sure it's difficult to gauge when to slide when you are in that situation but it's clear a starting QB for this program has to avoid getting hurt.

Would it be against the NCAA rules for the U athletic dept to make a donation to our NIL collective?

I’m thinking it would be, but I’m not actually certain that scenario is covered in the latest clarifications.

Because no school (athletic dept) would ever do that.

I think a lot of these rules are ill defined (a perennial problem with the NCAA) but an athletic department should not be allowed to "donate" funds to a NIL collective unless they are specifically payments for services to be performed for the team/university outside of playing football. For example, I don't see anything wrong with paying them for public relations activities (visits to high schools, participation in fundraising events, etc.). Even paying them for recruiting activities seems reasonable to me.

Of course, compensation has to be reasonable for the value of services performed. Making appearances at two athletic fundraisers and getting $200,000 would seem to be mostly pay for play. A few thousand might be reasonable depending upon the stature of the player.

I def don't think AK is a pocket passer - he's got mobility and secured several first downs with his legs. He also scrambles pretty well from what I've seen. I wouldn't call him a duel threat, but he ain't a statute, baby!

He is a good runner. Fleck has said that he's not a big fan of running the QB much as a set part of the running game. Are you advocating for the offense Kill ran?

I def don't think AK is a pocket passer - he's got mobility and secured several first downs with his legs. He also scrambles pretty well from what I've seen. I wouldn't call him a duel threat, but he ain't a statute, baby!
He has decent speed, not great. But he has shown a very good aptitude for knowing when to tuck it and run. He made some first downs at NC but on the last one his legs gave out from cramps and he couldn’t slide. Just crumpled.

If training staff is still intact, Fleck is a more patient man than most coaches. The cramping really cost the team a lot.

Yeah. The real difference in the game is about 3-4 defensive lapses + accurate QB from UNC + inaccuracy from MN QB

Until the Gophers recruit like a top 20 team in the nation, they will have a hard team competing like one. We can complain about coaches, play calls, schemes, practice facilities, etc. but the biggest difference between the Gophers and North Carolina, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and others is talent.
I think recruiting is the key, especially with the burden of the four best Pac-12 teams being dumped on us. Schools like Minnesota, Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern, Mich. St, Nebraska, maybe even Iowa and Wisconsin, will be struggling.

Top Bottom