What is the number one change you'd make to the cuurrent program?

One change? We need better players! Our recruiting class was worst in the Big 10 last year — we can’t compete with Top 25 programs with such horrible recruiting.

The biggest long-term improvement in the program would result from consistently recruiting classes in the top half of the Big 10 or higher.

Number 1 things we need right now is 12 months of improvement. Athan hasn't played live for a full season in 3 of his last 4 years/ I believe because he was injured his senior year. He just needs some fine tuning, as do his play callers. If they can keep the rest of the team solid, I believe next year could be special. I still think we can be an 8 or 9 win team this year, but to go to the next level we need Athan to be a star, with Taylor in the back field and a continued solid D.
Well said. Athan had a horrible game against North Carolina and it looks even worse because the guy on the other side is one of the best in all of college football and soon to be making millions in the NFL.

The truth is we don't know if Athan is the longterm answer at QB but it is clear he has a ton of upside. He is inexperienced and there are going to be ups and downs. North Carolina was a big down, the question is how does he respond?

One change? We need better players! Our recruiting class was worst in the Big 10 last year — we can’t compete with Top 25 programs with such horrible recruiting.

The biggest long-term improvement in the program would result from consistently recruiting classes in the top half of the Big 10 or higher.
I get that trolls are gonna troll but our last year's class wasn't the lowest rated in the conference and already has an offensive lineman and RB contributing.

Just not factual. Curious, why start posting out here again now?

The play calling overall has been fine IMO. It's more about executing than anything.

However, in instances where we do move the ball downfield, we do have a tendency to call plays we don't normally run once we get inside the opponents 25-30. Jet sweep, TE screen in the middle of the field, screen to the outside, deep play action with your backup QB, etc that have resulted in big losses or INT. Why? If we're moving the ball, just keep doing what we're doing. These calls have killed a few drives.

Last edited:

Quarterback!! He does not throw a catchable ball!! He cannot hit his second read.

I would build more plays into the game plan where the QB has the option to run. We need to get the opponents OLBs stretched versus being able to close down the lanes due to not fearing giving up lanes or contain to the QB. That opens up the quick slants and Midfield for the TE to make receptions.

One change: recruit at a higher level.

Nitpic about "we weren't last in the B1G you big meanie" all you want, but until we recruit consistently at a top 20 level, we arent going to ever consistently beat teams that do.

I like many things about Fleck, but he needs to change his best with recruiting. Clases in the 40s and 50s can't regularly compete nationally.

You pay them more than other programs. It's really that simple.
I regret that you're right. Maybe that would overcome the negatives. That would eliminate all the differences between the esprit de corps of college ball and the field-full-of-mercenaries of the NFL. But I guess that's already happened. Alas.

Bring in Adam Weber or Tanner Morgan to be a QB whisperer. Athan isn't developing; in fact, he appears to be going backward. Zero touch on long balls; painful to watch compared to the dimes Maye was dropping into receivers' hands on deep balls. AK is also throwing behind receivers on intermediate crossing routes. We'll go an entire season without explosive plays unless this gets addressed. Harbaugh apparently isn't the guy. Bring in Weber or Tanner to work one-on-one with Athan.
Weber was no ace. He wasn't exactly a passing god in his time at the U. Neither was Morgan. Also, how do we know they'd be good coaches? Why is this seen as some sort of fix for Athan's accuracy problems? Grab a former player who was OK and hope (although they're completely unproven as a coach) that they can work magic on a young QB?

Distribute a copy of the rulebook with the section on substitution rules highlighted.
This! This was the biggest problem we had on Saturday. It was chaos out there and the Gophers looked completely unprepared. On both sides of the ball. I like Fleck. He's coached better & recruited better than anyone else we've had since Holtz. BUT...on gamedays, he's not exactly Bill Belicheck.

Quarterback!! He does not throw a catchable ball!! He cannot hit his second read.
We are at least competitive. The team is more relevant then the past. We will see how AK progresses. I did think he would me faster. Does he have a bad knee? That brace seems to slow him down. That play where he ran and then landed on his belly, then took himself out?

Until the Gophers recruit like a top 20 team in the nation, they will have a hard team competing like one. We can complain about coaches, play calls, schemes, practice facilities, etc. but the biggest difference between the Gophers and North Carolina, Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and others is talent.
Speed kills and we have none of that, offense or defense, no burners except maybe Le'Make. Need a couple of 6'3, 6'4 receivers. Was looking at Syracuse's receivers vs Purdue as an example. They had tall receivers who ran great routes and achieved separation. PJ is a former wide receiver, so this is perplexing to me. I am not ready to give up on Athan, but the coaching has to call plays to play to his strengths as he continues learn the nuances of being a B1G quarterback and further his development.

Last edited:

An offense that plays to win, instead of playing not to lose the game. We are always so conservative. How fun was it watching North Carolina come out of the gates attacking our defense early and often. Some of that has to do with skill, but most of it is gameplan and mindset.

A close second would be to talk to Rossi and say what do you need to stay here... and write that check.

Patience, this schedule is tougher than last year's, and the next year's with the West Coast teams coming in may also be a real challenge.
It will be apparent in a couple of years if PJ is the coach that will get MN into the playoffs and if not is the AD satisfied with mediocrity?
The schedule is very tough but we were lucky in one important respect. We played Nebraska Game One and got Ruhle in his first game. We have the win in the books and now can watch Nebbie improve over the season. They will win some West games and help us.

I agree with this one 100%! I've been told I'm a star chaser for wanting better recruits. I truly thought with the buildup of Flecks supposed recruiting prowess, Fleck would significantly improve recruiting and we would win the Division in the future.

I'm here to say that has NOT happened! While we have improved, the needle has just barely moved and just imagine if we'd have been playing in the East.
Fleck’s portal recruiting has been outstanding. Henderson, Baugh, Jones, Collins led D Saturday. Vrooms has been good.

The play calling overall has been fine IMO. It's more about executing than anything.

However, in instances where we do move the ball downfield, we do have a tendency to call plays we don't normally run once we get inside the opponents 25-30. Jet sweep, TE screen in the middle of the field, screen to the outside, deep play action with your backup QB, etc that have resulted in big losses or INT. Why? If we're moving the ball, just keep doing what we're doing. These calls have killed a few drives.
Kramer deep on first down was a good call. Our receiver was wide open if ball is thrown five yards to the right. Don’t know if Kramer just threw a terrible pass or if rush in his face caused him to turn his body while throwing. Call was made because Taylor was nursing cramps.

Speed kills and we have none of that, offense or defense, no burners except maybe Le'Make. Need a couple of 6'3, 6'4 receivers. Was looking at Syracuse's receivers vs Purdue as an example. They had tall receivers who ran great routes and achieved separation. PJ is a former wide receiver, so this is perplexing to me. I am not ready to give up on Athan, but the coaching has to call plays to play to his strengths as he continues learn the nuances of being a B1G quarterback and further his development.
It's tough to recruit top-end WR here when you're committed to running as much as we do. The perplexing thing is, why is Taylor our only playable RB? I know we lost Bucky Irving, Potts, others....the question is, why? We run all the time and have used multiple backs most seasons. Tyler is a MAC player, at best. Williams...why he was ever recruited here i'll never know. Our RB room should be stocked.

The pass play was open for a TD if a decent throw is made. I can’t rip that play call that much.
Yes, the pass play was open for a TD if we had Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow, or even Drake Maye holding the ball for us. Instead, we had Cole Kramer. I can rip the play call because you tailor your scheme and play calls to your personnel, not the other way around.

I would build more plays into the game plan where the QB has the option to run. We need to get the opponents OLBs stretched versus being able to close down the lanes due to not fearing giving up lanes or contain to the QB. That opens up the quick slants and Midfield for the TE to make receptions.
AK showed good awareness of when to tuck and run but then started cramping up. Training staff may have cost us the game which explains Fleck’s ugly mood after the game.

Yes, the pass play was open for a TD if we had Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow, or even Drake Maye holding the ball for us. Instead, we had Cole Kramer. I can rip the play call because you tailor your scheme and play calls to your personnel, not the other way around.
This. A guy off the bench that is more known for his running ability than his deep ball.

Kramer deep on first down was a good call. Our receiver was wide open if ball is thrown five yards to the right. Don’t know if Kramer just threw a terrible pass or if rush in his face caused him to turn his body while throwing. Call was made because Taylor was nursing cramps.
This is not anywhere close to correct. A receiver cant be wide open on a deep ball when the defensive back is behind him.

It’s an easy throw. Any QB can make it. Replay did not show release, only interception and our receiver trying to turn 180 to get to the ball. I suspect pressure in his face caused him to turn his body a little and altering direction.

But you are right.. Mahomes could have ducked under defenders and run for 11 yards.

worst in the big ten is a cherry picking way to display the facts

if you go by average player rating it would be Illinois, they just took 8 more players than Minnesota.

if you believe, and the facts might be with you I don't know, that there is a substantive difference between players rated between 87.20 & 86.15 then you're right that our recruiting was horrible.

Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 1.19.06 PM.png

I regret that you're right. Maybe that would overcome the negatives. That would eliminate all the differences between the esprit de corps of college ball and the field-full-of-mercenaries of the NFL. But I guess that's already happened. Alas.
It's been that way for decades. It's just out in the open now. It shocks me that there are people here who pretend that big time college sports haven't been a dirty, ugly big money business going back who-knows-how-many years.

This is not anywhere close to correct. A receiver cant be wide open on a deep ball when the defensive back is behind him.
It's correct. The receiver was running a post. Had the ball been thrown to the correct spot in the field (i.e. the middle) he would have caught the ball without being touched. But instead the ball as thrown to the A in tar heels vs the ee's in heelsScreenshot 2023-09-18 at 1.25.42 PM.png

Top Bottom