What is the benefit to allowing Pitino to finish the season?

You've seen it in other posts. There's an aspect to it that would be a bad look, and it's pulling the rug out from under someone. Even when we fired Monson mid-season, there was an amicable parting of ways, and that's ideally how you want something to end. You maintain a better relationship, not just with the former coach and everyone in his network, but with the entire coaching fraternity as well. Unlike someone like Brewster, Pitino hasn't been an ass, and he hasn't been a total disaster.
No offense but I don't understand your logic at all. Richard Pitino has been one of the worst if not the worst coaches in the history of our program but yet you don't think he deserves to be fired?

I believe in his contract the buyout goes down from 1.7 million to a million after April 1. So a $600,000 savings I guess is a reason to keep him.

Medved would take this job in a second, Gophers have plenty of money for up and coming MM coaches. Craig Smith makes 700k a year, Gates makes around 280k a year, Medved makes 750k, your telling me they wouldnt come here for 2 million? come on man
You think the Gophers would offer him $2mill after RP buyout? If you believe that then let’s do it. But the job is so bad right now for they way he’s trending, besides the fact his local ties it looks like a money grab. He could do better

You think the Gophers would offer him $2mill after RP buyout? If you believe that then let’s do it. But the job is so bad right now for they way he’s trending, besides the fact his local ties it looks like a money grab. He could do better
The lowest paid big ten coach makes 1.7 million and i think he got a raise for next year so yes i think whoever gets hired makes around 2 million to start.

No offense but I don't understand your logic at all. Richard Pitino has been one of the worst if not the worst coaches in the history of our program but yet you don't think he deserves to be fired?
WTF. Where do you get that? Just go away.

Agree 100%. People only want a midseason firing to satisfy their immediate fan rage after a bad loss. Agree with the stigma attached to coaches that get fired midseason. I've gotten the impression that it only happens to coaches who are like next level terrible, and maybe have other off the court stuff going on as well. When Brewster was fired midseason, the team was 1-6 and I think there were problems with academic progress and players having run-ins with the law on top of that. I don't think Pitino is part of any cheating or player abuse scandals, there really haven't been any character issues since Lynch in 2018. Pitino's only crime here is not winning enough basketball games, and this won't even be his worst season here in terms of wins and losses. He took a team projected to finish toward the bottom of the conference, had them looking much better than most expected them to about halfway through the season, and will probably end up finishing toward the bottom of the conference. Disappointing for sure, but that doesn't make him some sort of disgusting stain on our program that we need to start cleansing as soon as humanly possible.

Jim Christian, who was fired midseason at BC, was 3-13 overall and 1-9 in the ACC for reference, compared to Pitino's current 13-11/6-11 record.
TF?

What is gained by keeping his sorry ass?

Grow a pair a fire him immediately.

Do better? Where? This is a B1G job in an area that produces a ton of talent and he's familiar with. You think he'd rather go to BC or DePaul? And yes, I expect the new coach to make $2-2.5 million, the same as Pitino. More if it's Beilein, Muss or Dutcher.

I believe in his contract the buyout goes down from 1.7 million to a million after April 1. So a $600,000 savings I guess is a reason to keep him.
Incorrect. It goes from $1.75 million to $1.5 million on May 1st. But he gets a $400K "retention bonus" on the same date, I believe. Zero reason to wait.

TF?

What is gained by keeping his sorry ass?

Grow a pair a fire him immediately.
What is gained from firing him immediately? How many coaches get fired mid season with a record above .500 and no additional scandals beyond not winning enough ball games?

This is a tough job but that is one of the reasons it is such a great job. Find the guy who relishes that chance to be a builder. We want a builder not a remodel.

By firing Richard, you turn his network against you. (However important that is).
With a strong basketball family, I'm guessing Richard already knows and they are living out these last few games as positively as possible.

What is gained from firing him immediately? How many coaches get fired mid season with a record above .500 and no additional scandals beyond not winning enough ball games?

If this is Pitino giving up ... It’s time to go now. These young men don’t need to go into the last 2 games and the Big Ten Tournament playing for someone whose raided the white flag.

Seems pretty easy for Coyle to figure out. If he did raise the white flag in front of the team, you have to make a change now.

By firing Richard, you turn his network against you. (However important that is).
With a strong basketball family, I'm guessing Richard already knows and they are living out these last few games as positively as possible.
His "network" is how we ended up with him in the first place. Thanks to them, we ended up hiring a coach with basically no resume or qualifications to hold this job other than being a "Pitino." In other words, they can shove it.

Speaking honestly, I don't think firing him now or in a few games will matter much, if at all. We already have a coach who clearly feels sorry for himself and a group of players who probably feel sorry for themselves as well. Those feelings aren't going to magically disappear whether he gets one game, two games or no more games. The future is the issue now, not whether Ricky and his squad get to sulk their way through the last few games.

Do better? Where? This is a B1G job in an area that produces a ton of talent and he's familiar with. You think he'd rather go to BC or DePaul? And yes, I expect the new coach to make $2-2.5 million, the same as Pitino. More if it's Beilein, Muss or Dutcher.

He can also wait for a better job with a better history of success

He can also wait for a better job with a better history of success
Maybe but the hot coach one cycle won't stay the hot coach forever. This is not a bad job and Smith has B1G and regional ties.

Top Bottom