What is the benefit to allowing Pitino to finish the season?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Make a move tonight. Let Conroy coach the rest of the season and be ready with a hire announcement the day after the season ends of our new coach.

No reason to wait 3-4 weeks for a decision that is likely already made.

Go Gophers!!

Agreed. If Coyle hasnt already been prospecting candidates, he will be on the phone 10 minutes ago

I don't care who coaches the last 4 games, but announce the decision is made. If Pitino wants to stick it out, more power to him.

None....The players quit on him tonight.....Let an assistant take over....Pay him the 1.75 M and get a short list together.

Coyle will get shit if he does it(like the media did to BC), but it's the right move. This was the last straw. It's over.

I don't care who coaches the last 4 games, but announce the decision is made. If Pitino wants to stick it out, more power to him.
Hell I can coach from my couch watching on tv using a surrogate. It will cost the university my cable bill for the next two months and a frozen pizza for each game.

The only benefit would be letting RP coach it out, to finish with the team.

After the performance of this team since the first few days of January, Coyle has no choice. None.

And it should happen tonight and be announced tomorrow.

Hell I can coach from my couch watching on tv using a surrogate. It will cost the university my cable bill for the next two months and a frozen pizza for each game.

We're in a pandemic! Doogie will have you know we can't afford that! Especially since you probably want something fancy like Heggies.

We're in a pandemic! Doogie will have you know we can't afford that! Especially since you probably want something fancy like Heggies.
Seriously, I sometimes wonder whether sports media have a vested interest in the status quo--or even in losing for losing's sake. There's a lot of story lines and humor to mine in negativity.

They can buy them at a Byerly’s BOGO sale.I’ll even go down from the silver package to the select package if they throw in Netflix for something to watch if the game turns ugly.

It was a huge mistake to hire RP in the first place. He wasn't even the best coach in the Sun Belt Conference. Just because his father was a good coach doesn't mean that RP will be a good coach. There is no gene for coaching. The Big Ten is not the place for a coach to get on-the-job training. We have given him too many years to learn how to coach. Minnesota should be hiring a coach who has proven himself in a major conference.

I think the sooner you fire and hire the better. The thing is you aren’t getting a coach until their season is over. So it’s gonna be a few weeks/month at least. If you think firing Pitino will lose all of the guys for the new coach, that could be an issue. Trufully, in CBB you can turn a roster over pretty quickly. I don’t see many reasons for holding on.

It was a huge mistake to hire RP in the first place. He wasn't even the best coach in the Sun Belt Conference. Just because his father was a good coach doesn't mean that RP will be a good coach. There is no gene for coaching. The Big Ten is not the place for a coach to get on-the-job training. We have given him too many years to learn how to coach. Minnesota should be hiring a coach who has proven himself in a major conference.
His father was/is a philandering cheat

Playing the devils advocate here...I’m with you all and thought Richard should have been gone long ago.

But what is the benefit is firing him at this instant? Purely peace of mind?

Watching the game tonight and given the state of the weak bubble, I had the thought that firing Pitino after Illinois could have allowed the Gophers to sneak in to the tournament. Motivation for the kids knowing they are essentially auditioning for a new coach who is out there watching somewhere. Less pressure (not saying it would be coming from Pitino, just kids can read tea leaves) to try to save someone's job and just go out and play.

Not saying it would have worked, but it was pretty clear the status quo wasn't going to get them there and Pitino was going to be gone. Wouldn't have hurt to try.

Let him try to get this team to the tournament and maybe someone like Boston College hires him so you dont have to pay the buyout. Firing him now doesnt do much.

Watching the game tonight and given the state of the weak bubble, I had the thought that firing Pitino after Illinois could have allowed the Gophers to sneak in to the tournament. Motivation for the kids knowing they are essentially auditioning for a new coach who is out there watching somewhere. Less pressure (not saying it would be coming from Pitino, just kids can read tea leaves) to try to save someone's job and just go out and play.

Not saying it would have worked, but it was pretty clear the status quo wasn't going to get them there and Pitino was going to be gone. Wouldn't have hurt to try.
Yep. Still better to do it now then wait.

There is no benefit to firing him now unless you’re hiring a coach who doesn’t currently have a job and you want to get started on recruiting a month-ish sooner. I can’t think of many coaches that fit that description that you’d actually want. Most good coaches have jobs.

Let him try to get this team to the tournament and maybe someone like Boston College hires him so you dont have to pay the buyout. Firing him now doesnt do much.
Pitino should be reaching out to BC and beg for the job. He’s done here.

There is no benefit to firing him now unless you’re hiring a coach who doesn’t currently have a job and you want to get started on recruiting a month-ish sooner. I can’t think of many coaches that fit that description that you’d actually want. Most good coaches have jobs.
Coaches have agents. We hired Tubby about 72 hours after he coached his last game at Kentucky. That didn't all happen in 3 days.

Coaches have agents. We hired Tubby about 72 hours after he coached his last game at Kentucky. That didn't all happen in 3 days.
Oh? They have agents? I had no idea.
But you can’t hire them until they are done coaching still. Like let’s say you’re going to hire Musselman. Awesome! If his team loses in the round of 32, then you can hire him. Even if he already has a backdoor deal with you, it doesn’t mean he starts coaching and recruiting your team immediately. There is no benefit to firing a coach in February.
What is the last instance of a college hoops coach being fired in February?

Oh? They have agents? I had no idea.
But you can’t hire them until they are done coaching still. Like let’s say you’re going to hire Musselman. Awesome! If his team loses in the round of 32, then you can hire him. Even if he already has a backdoor deal with you, it doesn’t mean he starts coaching and recruiting your team immediately. There is no benefit to firing a coach in February.
What is the last instance of a college hoops coach being fired in February?
No point in arguing this further. When was the last instance? About 10 days ago. But I know, they're a "$%^" program and we're not.

No point in arguing this further. When was the last instance? About 10 days ago. But I know, they're a "$%^" program and we're not.

If you want to be like Boston college—a team rumored to want the coach you want fired—be my guest. I have higher hopes.

There isn't one player on this team, besides Mashburn, worth worrying about leaving. Same goes for the guys coming. I don't think it should be an issue.

Yup. Totally agree. Was thinking the benefit would be to get the player’s on board, but who beyond Mashburn is worth the effort? This roster next year is gonna be an absolute train wreck.

Little Ricky's greatest accomplishment as a coach has always been being born with the Pitino last name. And frankly, it's pathetic that it was enough to get him hired here in the first place.

With that said, if it isn't obvious he needs to go after this, I honestly don't know what it will take.

There isn't one player on this team, besides Mashburn, worth worrying about leaving. Same goes for the guys coming. I don't think it should be an issue.
I hope the rest of my post shows that we mostly agree. I was just pointing out the other sides argument. Next years roster I’d love to see Gabe, Mash, Ihnen, Tre, and Robbins if possible and with a staff that actually coaches defense. If Johnson wants to come back then that’s fine too.

Little Ricky's greatest accomplishment as a coach has always been being born with the Pitino last name. And frankly, it's pathetic that it was enough to get him hired here in the first place.

With that said, if it isn't obvious he needs to go after this, I honestly don't know what it will take.
Forgetting the 2016-17 season is ridiculous. That was the best year we’ve had in this decade. Ripping Richard for the whole resume is fair.

I hope the rest of my post shows that we mostly agree. I was just pointing out the other sides argument. Next years roster I’d love to see Gabe, Mash, Ihnen, Tre, and Robbins if possible and with a staff that actually coaches defense. If Johnson wants to come back then that’s fine too.
We agree. I understood what you meant.
It would be nice if Mash, Robbins, Mitchell and Gabe stay. I don't think Johnson stays no matter what. I think losing everyone else would be a good thing.

Top Bottom