What is the benefit to allowing Pitino to finish the season?

Yup. Totally agree. Was thinking the benefit would be to get the player’s on board, but who beyond Mashburn is worth the effort? This roster next year is gonna be an absolute train wreck.

There may be 4-5 guys you don’t even know on the roster next year, depending on who the coach is. Couple kids follow the new coach, couple transfers. Definitely expecting a roster overhaul this spring/summer.

Forgetting the 2016-17 season is ridiculous. That was the best year we’ve had in this decade. Ripping Richard for the whole resume is fair.
Nobody's forgetting anything. When your high water mark as a coach is posting your one and only winning record in conference before getting waxed by Middle Tennessee State in the opening round of the NCAAs, trust me, you haven't achieved much of anything.

Nobody's forgetting anything. When your high water mark as a coach is posting your one and only winning record in conference before getting waxed by Middle Tennessee State in the opening round of the NCAAs, trust me, you haven't achieved much of anything.
Tubby was canned after a better overall B10 win % and a tourney win.

And sadly it’s the best moment we’ve had in gopher basketball this decade. Didn’t say it was monumental, but it’s not fair to ignore. Just like it’s not fair to ignore his horrendous and god awful conference record

Reactions: MRJ

I find that miserable loss vs MTSU to be an odd choice for the high water mark of last ten years.

Akeem Springs might have been injured, but we saw the limitations of Rick Pitino's coaching in that game. I was yelling at the TV a lot that miserable day.

The win in Des Moines vs Louisville was the best moment of the last ten years, with the Tubby win over UCLA being #2.

Tim Miles is probably the #1 guy without a job who would consider this job before the end of the season. Roster is going to need an overhaul. Assume Mashburn Jr. and Carr are gone. Freeman, Ihnen, and Mitchell will politely be asked to leave. It’s a major rebuild.

I don't see any benefit to firing him with three games left in the regular season, other than the fact we're all extremely upset. This team has been straight-bad for going on six weeks now, so even If RP was relieved of his duties tomorrow, I'd have a real hard time believing an interim coach is gonna step in and turn things around by Saturday, or next week. This team to me looks done, and maybe they should be.

Absent some kind of scandal, the thing about firing a coach in-season is that there's a real stigma attached to that, as in tit gives the unmistakeable impression that hings are so bad or so out of control that there is simply no other option than to fire your coach and turn things over to an interim. Far moreso than firing a guy after the season, that kind of thing tends to stick to a coach for awhile, as it's embarrassing and humiliating to be let go before your season has even finished, and I wouldn't wish to do that to Pitino. I bear him no personal animosity or ill-will at all, in fact I wish him nothing but success wherever he might go. He seems quite the likeable guy, he's got a young family, young children, and other than the results on the basketball court, I feel he's represented this university this university quite well. He's just not been a very good basketball coach for us, that's all. And honestly, it's not his fault that he wasn't let go years ago. That's on the administration which chose to retain him in spite of all the struggles.

So let him finish it out, spend these last few weeks with his team, and then move on to a fresh start for all parties. That's at least what I would like to see.

Tim Miles is probably the #1 guy without a job who would consider this job before the end of the season. Roster is going to need an overhaul. Assume Mashburn Jr. and Carr are gone. Freeman, Ihnen, and Mitchell will politely be asked to leave. It’s a major rebuild.

no no no.... no Tim Miles, never

Well, poor poor Richard has got to go and everyone knows it now. I like the guy, but he is cooked.

AD Coil has his own list, but we on this board have our list as well, and the list we have is pretty solid

Coyle will probably not let us down.. The PJ Fleck hiring defined Coyle, but this hire will be massive and cement Coyle as a great one. Plenty of ADs have screwed up these hires, very recently.

I find that miserable loss vs MTSU to be an odd choice for the high water mark of last ten years.

Akeem Springs might have been injured, but we saw the limitations of Rick Pitino's coaching in that game. I was yelling at the TV a lot that miserable day.

The win in Des Moines vs Louisville was the best moment of the last ten years, with the Tubby win over UCLA being #2.
I’m speaking more to the season in general. That loss was tough, but MTSU was ridiculously under seeded even more than we were over seeded. Tourney wins are fun but not the judgement I use for a successful season.

I wouldn’t have a problem if they did it now. But waiting 18 days is fine.
You can do 99% of the legwork on a new hire without firing him.
I don’t think firing him now has an impact on who the hire ends up being.

To me firing him now would take some balls from the groundhog. I'm not sure that he would like the optics of firing him before the end of season because it might admit fault for the extension and perhaps not doing it last year.

I'm guessing Pitino knows, but he has time for a soft landing.

We won't fire him now, even though he deserves it, because that would show the Academics that we place a higher value on athletic failure than academic failure.

We won't fire him now, even though he deserves it, because that would show the Academics that we place a higher value on athletic failure than academic failure.

This is one of the dumbest things I’ve read on gopherhole, which is amazing.
Like saying they won’t fire a professor because the basketball team is good.

This is one of the dumbest things I’ve read on gopherhole, which is amazing.
Like saying they won’t fire a professor because the basketball team is good.
No, they keep abusive and justifiably fireable professors around a lot longer than RP. The whole Psych dept scandal spanned a dozen years, if not more. Your reading comprehension skills need work.

Playing the devils advocate here...I’m with you all and thought Richard should have been gone long ago.

But what is the benefit is firing him at this instant? Purely peace of mind?

I can only speak for myself but I would get a tremendous sense of satisfaction from not seeing him on the sidelines again and a renewed sense of interest in seeing how the team would play under the assistants for the remaining games.

No, they keep abusive and justifiably fireable professors around a lot longer than RP. The whole Psych dept scandal spanned a dozen years, if not more. Your reading comprehension skills need work.

Coaches don't have tenure. Neither do administrators (at least in their positions as administrators). Those people are purely at will employees in their positions. No need to build a case against them and go through various hearings.

To me firing him now would take some balls from the groundhog. I'm not sure that he would like the optics of firing him before the end of season because it might admit fault for the extension and perhaps not doing it last year.

I don't agree with that. You never have to apologize for giving someone another chance (especially under the weird circumstances that existed last March) unless that person commits some sort of crime or serious transgression.

No need to fire RP right now. He's not the one who shot 4-27 from beyond the arc (2 of those makes coming in the last minute).
He is responsible for player attitude and effort, but those kids were the ones bricking shots.
Coyle may have to wait a week into the dance before he can officially get his guy and having assistants coaching now would be useless.

I don't see any benefit to firing him with three games left in the regular season, other than the fact we're all extremely upset. This team has been straight-bad for going on six weeks now, so even If RP was relieved of his duties tomorrow, I'd have a real hard time believing an interim coach is gonna step in and turn things around by Saturday, or next week. This team to me looks done, and maybe they should be.

Absent some kind of scandal, the thing about firing a coach in-season is that there's a real stigma attached to that, as in tit gives the unmistakeable impression that hings are so bad or so out of control that there is simply no other option than to fire your coach and turn things over to an interim. Far moreso than firing a guy after the season, that kind of thing tends to stick to a coach for awhile, as it's embarrassing and humiliating to be let go before your season has even finished, and I wouldn't wish to do that to Pitino. I bear him no personal animosity or ill-will at all, in fact I wish him nothing but success wherever he might go. He seems quite the likeable guy, he's got a young family, young children, and other than the results on the basketball court, I feel he's represented this university this university quite well. He's just not been a very good basketball coach for us, that's all. And honestly, it's not his fault that he wasn't let go years ago. That's on the administration which chose to retain him in spite of all the struggles.

So let him finish it out, spend these last few weeks with his team, and then move on to a fresh start for all parties. That's at least what I would like to see.
I was the one who suggested in another thread that they see what Conroy can do the rest of the season, but I'm sympathetic to this opinion. You do want to be classy as an institution, and not burning bridges is a concept that goes both ways. You want Pitino to not be a bitter former employee. Richard has been very classy in his tenure and has represented the U well, and you want to repay that in kind.

I was the one who suggested in another thread that they see what Conroy can do the rest of the season, but I'm sympathetic to this opinion. You do want to be classy as an institution, and not burning bridges is a concept that goes both ways. You want Pitino to not be a bitter former employee. Richard has been very classy in his tenure and has represented the U well, and you want to repay that in kind.
I'm sorry but this is major college sports where big time money is being paid and this program is going nowhere. Being sympathetic to RPs feelings seems strange to me.

Coaches don't have tenure. Neither do administrators (at least in their positions as administrators). Those people are purely at will employees in their positions. No need to build a case against them and go through various hearings.
The ignorant "lowbies" in administration and their hangers-in don't differentiate that. If you haven't learned by now subtlety is lost on them.

No one is saying trash Pitino. Tell him he's not returning next year. Give him the option to coach the remaining games and let him decide how he wants to handle it.

No need to fire RP right now. He's not the one who shot 4-27 from beyond the arc (2 of those makes coming in the last minute).
He is responsible for player attitude and effort, but those kids were the ones bricking shots.
Coyle may have to wait a week into the dance before he can officially get his guy and having assistants coaching now would be useless.
I'll admit there are some things that a coach can't control. In this case though the team has shot 4-27 all year. They suck at shooting. That's either Pitino's fault for not recruiting shooters, not coaching players how to shoot, or not figuring out that his team is horrible at shooting 3's after 340938 games of launching them over and over and developing a better offensive strategy.

There are times when players fail in a perfectly planned offensive strategy and there are times when teams play lights out defense...then there are the gophers who try the same thing over and over and over again with the same terrible results.

I'm sorry but this is major college sports where big time money is being paid and this program is going nowhere. Being sympathetic to RPs feelings seems strange to me.
Preferring an amicable and respectful parting of ways is not being sympathetic to Richard's feelings. If you're going to twist anyone's post into a different meaning, don't reply.

Top Bottom