What Coach Could Automatically Make Minnesota B-Ball Elite?

I know your a fan of these, but it's still more bureaucratic than that. Regents need to support it too. If you'd like to call it a punt then please go ahead. I think from an admin standpoint they knew they were cutting other sports and with optics being so important here, they didn't want to cut sports and pay millions on a buyout. That is my opinion from everything I've read and heard. I know you like to point out the one firing in the NCAA D1 Power 5 Basketball as an example, but the coaching market was reduced and lots of coaches jobs were saved by Covid. That's a fact too.

I bought no securities, my household has young children and lost income. My investment money let alone any for donations was reduced this year. It is what it is, but we still live with plenty of comfort thankfully.
Bureaucracy will exist moving forward, perhaps even more - that is one of my points. Whenever they pay a buyout, no matter the $$ value, it is a big issue at MN. Always. Will never change.

It was a punt. My point about securities was to highlight buy low sell high. Invest young man!!!! As much as possible, as consistently as possible!

Coyle needed to do that last spring. Leadership. Managing risk.

Lots of coaches jobs were saved. Agreed. Makes me believe the right candidate would have gladly made the move to MN. Looking at this differently than you. Looking at how it COULD HAVE WORKED in MN FAVOR.

I put Fran and Brad Underwood in the category of: the first time I saw their team play, I knew they'd be successful in the Big Ten. Those are teams that know what they're doing out there, and they do it with consistency and determination. I see flashes from Pitino's teams, but they don't carry it through games and seasons. When they've had exceptional player leadership (e.g., Akeem Springs), it's been better, as those teams were self policing and motivating, but realistically that has to be a partnership between the players and the coaching staff.
Agree Bad. I watched his SFA team in the tourney and LOVED their focus and intensity.

No major/elite coach would waste their time in MN. I think the Pitino types is the best we can get. Maybe, Dutcher since he has roots to MN.

No major/elite coach would waste their time in MN. I think the Pitino types is the best we can get. Maybe, Dutcher since he has roots to MN.
Maybe not elite, but I think on paper its a favorable spot. Big Ten team, major city to live in, good recruiting area, new facilities. I think any smart coach looking for a change would give it a thought.

I put Fran and Brad Underwood in the category of: the first time I saw their team play, I knew they'd be successful in the Big Ten. Those are teams that know what they're doing out there, and they do it with consistency and determination. I see flashes from Pitino's teams, but they don't carry it through games and seasons. When they've had exceptional player leadership (e.g., Akeem Springs), it's been better, as those teams were self policing and motivating, but realistically that has to be a partnership between the players and the coaching staff.

Specifically with Brad, that's a good eye. He totally changed his defensive style after his first couple years to adjust to the conference sorta similar to Pitino. There is obviously a difference in who can teach it better as Illinois defends well. He also has some dudes.

Need a guy with a strong personality from a mid-major or D2 or D3 school that has had success for quite some time that runs an actual program. These are the types of coaches that achieve great things at marginal schools. I don't have names, but this is where I would be looking. Getting assistants that have never really done anything other than be in the right place at the right time or retread types rarely work if you are looking for sustained success, good program, etc IMO.

This type of hire generally does not bring instant success either. But once guys like this get their players to buy in and have success, then you have something.

These random DII/III coaches are lottery tickets. Sure it might work, but it probably won't. Give me a proven D-1 coach. We can get one if we commit the resources to it.

I'm skeptical that anyone could make us consistently elite. To be consistently elite you need to keep bringing in top talent. Unless you solve that fundamental issue this program will continue to be an average one that has exceptional years here and there.

Finding a young, lower division GREAT coach is the key, in my opinion. We're not going to get Jay Wright - sorry. I agree with Built, it can be done but you have to hit the lottery. Great coaches can and will win anywhere.

Wow, that suggestion hit a nerve!
Read my posts about him. A great deal to like but his name came up a great deal at many programs but at higher profile jobs no one wanted to bite. Five it longer and someone like Auburn would, they have already proven that.

I'm skeptical that anyone could make us consistently elite. To be consistently elite you need to keep bringing in top talent. Unless you solve that fundamental issue this program will continue to be an average one that has exceptional years here and there.
Why? Others have done it without elite talent.

These random DII/III coaches are lottery tickets. Sure it might work, but it probably won't. Give me a proven D-1 coach. We can get one if we commit the resources to it.
They are not random to those that follow it. Bennett, Ryan were known commodities way before UW. Jack Bennett would have been incredible but he did not want to bypass coaching his son at UWSP. Now his son is a rising star. The guys mentioned on here are real candidates. We are likely not getting a power 6 coach that has had success.

Some things I’ll add on the Craig Smith wagon. Matt Mooney who played for Beard and Smith and is now in the NBA said Beard and Smith are the two of the best basketball coaches in the world. It was on a podcast with Doug Gottlieb and was unprovoked. Hearing a player who’s in the NBA put a coach in the same breath as Beard is quite and endorsement. He’s also won at USD which is far from resource rich. Lastly he’d want this job and it would be a dream job for him. His energy is damn near annoying like Fleck and he’s a grinder who’s well liked in the profession. Lastly he’s a defensive oriented guy and that will be expected to be the staple fo the program.

If I had to choose between an elite recruiter and an elite instructor/strategist, I’d have a very heavy lean towards the recruiter. You can build a strong argument against my personal preference but I feel talent usually overcomes structure, assuming both are playing the game with passion.

Outside of Calipari, Coach K and Izzo, who do people feel are the best under-the-radar recruiters in the college game right now?

Some things I’ll add on the Craig Smith wagon. Matt Mooney who played for Beard and Smith and is now in the NBA said Beard and Smith are the two of the best basketball coaches in the world. It was on a podcast with Doug Gottlieb and was unprovoked. Hearing a player who’s in the NBA put a coach in the same breath as Beard is quite and endorsement. He’s also won at USD which is far from resource rich. Lastly he’d want this job and it would be a dream job for him. His energy is damn near annoying like Fleck and he’s a grinder who’s well liked in the profession. Lastly he’s a defensive oriented guy and that will be expected to be the staple fo the program.
Great post, thank you.

What a naive thread. No coach will automatically make Minnesota basketball "elite". There is probably a coach out there--somewhere--that has what it takes to build a consistent winner at Minnesota, but it would take time--more time than Beilein or Dutcher have remaining in their respective coaching careers.
I think most are just taking the thread as coach they're "most confident in"

At least that's how I take it. And with that I go Dutcher and Forbes from ETSU. Craig Smith feels a notch below those 2.

EDIT: Forbes took the Wake Forest job this past year. Nice hire for them.

Last edited:

Craig Smith or Miles. I’m a SoDak guy. He was great at USD. I’m a Uof Mn alum. I was at the game when USD beat the Gophers a few years ago. I was torn, but was happy in the end. He can coach. USU was good last year. He’s a helluva recruiter.

Craig Smith or Miles. I’m a SoDak guy. He was great at USD. I’m a Uof Mn alum. I was at the game when USD beat the Gophers a few years ago. I was torn, but was happy in the end. He can coach. USU was good last year. He’s a helluva recruiter.
With Miles body of work that no way flies here,no matter how great a guy he is.

With Miles body of work that no way flies here,no matter how great a guy he is.
To give Miles some credit. He got them to a tournament. Their first one since 1998. His conference record has been better than the last couple as well. Good enough to keep his job? No but I thought he did better at Nebraska than many have before.

If I had to choose between an elite recruiter and an elite instructor/strategist, I’d have a very heavy lean towards the recruiter. You can build a strong argument against my personal preference but I feel talent usually overcomes structure, assuming both are playing the game with passion.

Outside of Calipari, Coach K and Izzo, who do people feel are the best under-the-radar recruiters in the college game right now?
Stan Johnson who just got the LMU job was a hell of a recruiter for Marquette. There’s no good recruiter that’s “under the radar” imo. Whether they can coach and recruit is a different story.

Stan Johnson who just got the LMU job was a hell of a recruiter for Marquette. There’s no good recruiter that’s “under the radar” imo. Whether they can coach and recruit is a different story.
Too many are not spectacular at either task.

The guy right in our back yard.
Dave Holmgren
You could get a two for one for say 5 Mil per year. He probably would take the job.

Top Bottom