What Coach Could Automatically Make Minnesota B-Ball Elite?

Otis

Reaction score
You have been given a blank check by the Board of Regents to go get a replacement for Little Ricky.

Who's your guy? Or who's your gal?

When we had Monson, I was 100% onboard with firing him and hiring Bobby Knight for the Bobby Revenge Tour.

Nowadays, I'm not so sure who the right person would be.

Someone who can recruit Minnesota and Coach or at least inspire kids to play hard.

I have no idea.

I'm not all that enamored with the current field of college coaches. I like the idea of Dutcher. But then again, I went to his dad's basketball camp. So I'm probably a little myopic there.

We need someone who connects with today's high school players and could get them excited to come to Minnesota and play for him and the school. It would have to be someone the kids thought could help them get to the NBA and teach them some of the techniques they would need once they get there. If only we had a successful Minnesota native closing in on the end of a successful NBA career. But that person doesn't exist. But since the Board of Regents has given me a blank check and since the Gophers biggest problem since Hoffarber graduated has been shooting. I'm going to throw some money at a guy who can stare down a ref and chew gum at the same time.

I'd offer $5M/year to Ray "Jesus Shuttlesworth" Allen.

I'd highly encourage him to bring his old college coach Jim Calhoun along as his top assistant at $2.5M/year.

That just might do it.

I'm not all that enamored with the current field of college coaches. I like the idea of Dutcher. But then again, I went to his dad's basketball camp. So I'm probably a little myopic there.

We need someone who connects with today's high school players and could get them excited to come to Minnesota and play for him and the school. It would have to be someone the kids thought could help them get to the NBA and teach them some of the techniques they would need once they get there. If only we had a successful Minnesota native closing in on the end of a successful NBA career. But that person doesn't exist. But since the Board of Regents has given me a blank check and since the Gophers biggest problem since Hoffarber graduated has been shooting. I'm going to throw some money at a guy who can stare down a ref and chew gum at the same time.

I'd offer $5M/year to Ray "Jesus Shuttlesworth" Allen.

I'd highly encourage him to bring his old college coach Jim Calhoun along as his top assistant at $2.5M/year.

That just might do it.
Here is a list of Coaches I am interested in:
Head Coaches at the Mid Major Level
Brian Dutcher
Craig Smith
Niko Medved
Ritchie McKay
Scott Nagy

Outside of the Box
Ben McCollum D2 Best Coach
Ryan Saunders- He is coaching the wrong Minnesota Team he has the temperament to be a homerun with College kids. Doesn't have the personality for NBA guys

Serious Question:
Do we think Norman Dale's system would work? Cause if yes, I'm taking Norman Dale.
He'd never survive in today's PC environment. Might as well ressurect Woody Hayes. Which I'd be all for.

My short list is:

John Beilein-the best coach of the group. Can still give us 5-7 years. Gets to stay in the B1G.
Eric Musselman-Low floor but high ceiling IMO.
Shaka Smart-If he still wants off the Texas hot seat
Craig Smith
Brian Dutcher-higher floor but lower ceiling than Muss IMO. Would be higher if he was younger

Last edited:

Here is a list of Coaches I am interested in:
Head Coaches at the Mid Major Level
Brian Dutcher
Craig Smith
Niko Medved
Ritchie McKay
Scott Nagy

Outside of the Box
Ben McCollum D2 Best Coach
Ryan Saunders- He is coaching the wrong Minnesota Team he has the temperament to be a homerun with College kids. Doesn't have the personality for NBA guys

Good list here. I disagree a little with Ryan as I think his temperament is good for the NBA. Mike Rhoades from VCU is a nice coach too that'd be worth looking at. TJ Otelzberger is another worth looking in to. I've been on the Smith wagon for awhile. I recently listened to him on the Tim Miles pod and the dude brings energy on an almost annoying level. I can see why his guys love playing for him. He's also had success in jobs that are not the most resourceful in their conference.

My short list is:

John Beilein
Eric Musselman
Shaka Smart
Craig Smith
Brian Dutcher
Shaka ain't done much with pretty damn good recruits in Texas.

Shaka ain't done much with pretty damn good recruits in Texas.
Neither did Rick Barnes or any of their football coaches, but they seem to do better when they leave (Barnes at Tennesee, Mack Brown back at UNC.) Maybe it's the school/pressure.

Neither did Rick Barnes or any of their football coaches, but they seem to do better when they leave (Barnes at Tennesee, Mack Brown back at UNC.) Maybe it's the school/pressure.
So you think they'd do better at altitude?

You gotta walk before you can run. Let's not think we can get to be elite anytime soon, but how about consistently just better than average in the conference. That's a reasonable goal.

Open check, sky is the limit?

Can't help but be mighty impressed with what Chris Beard's been doing down in Lubbock. No chance we'll get him, but we are talking pie in the sky, right? :)

Dutcher.

Saw Bobby Jackson on TV last night.. guy must want a HC job at some point!

Damian Johnson, someday..

I have to vote for Coach Klein from South Central Louisiana University. His playbook is imaginative and his player development is through the roof.

No one automatically. To build it right you will need to suffer losing first because you will not have your own guys and will be creating and recruiting to a culture. Anthony Grant could be a possibility although he may enjoy a recruiting triangle where he is. For now, we have our coach for this year. I will cheer for him to win the job while he is here. I have seen get crushed in a December outing and come together to become great later. Data suggests however that if your great you win something meaningful in that first 5-6 years, like a conference title, get to a final 4 or win consistently at prior stops.

He was also one hell of a coach regardless of whether he cheated or not.
No doubt. Great teacher. Great defenses. Should not have cheated in recruiting. Also respect his graciousness when he loses. He loves watching and talking about great coaches and their teams, learning from the way they play. His post game press conferences are masterpieces after loses. But he is toxic at many schools as a hire.

So you think they'd do better at altitude?
I'm just saying they didn't forget how to coach when they got to Texas. Also, Shaka's not doing that horrible. They would have made the NCAA's last year, making it 3 NCAA bids and an NIT title in 5 years, and they're currently ranked 11th. Their expectations in both sports are often unreasonable.

I'm just saying they didn't forget how to coach when they got to Texas. Also, Shaka's not doing that horrible. They would have made the NCAA's last year, making it 3 NCAA bids and an NIT title in 5 years, and they're currently ranked 11th. Their expectations in both sports are often unreasonable.
It helped when he realized the style at VCU was not going to work in a power 6 conference.Your right though, many fans these days react harshly after one loss no matter who your coach is.

If I was an AD looking to make a change at head coach for the basketball program my first call would be to Anthony Grant.

If that isn’t going to happen the second call would be to Craig Smith.

My short list is:

John Beilein-the best coach of the group. Can still give us 5-7 years. Gets to stay in the B1G.
Eric Musselman-Low floor but high ceiling IMO.
Shaka Smart-If he still wants off the Texas hot seat
Craig Smith
Brian Dutcher-higher floor but lower ceiling than Muss IMO. Would be higher if he was younger

I have a similar short list.

But if we're talking about a blank check Jay Wright or Brad Stevens.

Top Bottom