What bowl do you predict Gophers will be in?

Come on down to Phoenix! I’m guessing another trip to Detroit though.

To warm, sunny PHX .......... to play indoors ..... in a baseball stadium ....... at night, when it's cold, and it has no heating system.

You just can't make it up.

I’d be shocked if it’s anything but to Detroit.

Don’t matter where! Just excited to see our PWO QB in play 🤩

Then we lose by 40+ and to a MAC school. That's really going to get the casual fans angry and calling for more heads. Not to mention make the regular to die hard fans sad and depressed. :(

Honestly, wherever they go, they should be double digit/2 TDs+ underdogs. I know they might get some players back for the game, but I don't think it'll make much difference. Plus, I just don't see the players getting up for the game, especially after the way the last month has been. You then add that to a PWO QB and you have a recipe for disaster and a blowout.

Any starter who is even slightly banged up and is coming back next year, should be required to sit out of the meaningless toilet bowl.

Fleck runs D Taylor 40 rushes in this game and gets him hurt again?? That's fire-able.

Nubin fine. And probably what will happen. Handoff fest. Get it over as quickly as possible, like vs Ohio St.

Then we lose by 40+ and to a MAC school. That's really going to get the casual fans angry and calling for more heads. Not to mention make the regular to die hard fans sad and depressed. :(

Honestly, wherever they go, they should be double digit/2 TDs+ underdogs. I know they might get some players back for the game, but I don't think it'll make much difference. Plus, I just don't see the players getting up for the game, especially after the way the last month has been. You then add that to a PWO QB and you have a recipe for disaster and a blowout.

They still have Kramer at QB, and the potential for several players to get healthy on D. Maybe even Taylor will be back at RB. They're not getting blown out by a MAC school.

Naw…cheer up, lighten up and brighten up. At least I’m not buying what you are trying to sell. Remember: “…today is the first day of the rest of your life…”.

Cheer up MNGoph24
;0)

From a completely selfish standpoint, I am hoping for the Quick Lane Bowl. Detroit is a 2 1/2 hour drive for me and I would LOVE to see MY Gophers play in-person for the 3rd time this year. If it's Detroit/Quick Lane, I will be there. If it's Nashville/Music City, IDK. If it's Phoenix, New York, or elsewhere I'll be rooting for the Gophs on TV

Give me Detroit
Both are on the 26th, making it tough for travel due to Christmas. From a TV standpoint, I'd rather see the team play at Ford Field. At least it's a football stadium. And a couple years ago when we were in the G-rated bowl, it seemed really low rent in that awful baseball stadium. It's a second tier bowl even in its' own city.

Unless Penn State misses the NY6?

Or is it a done deal now that they’re in with Louisville not jumping up?

Unless Penn State misses the NY6?

Or is it a done deal now that they’re in with Louisville not jumping up?
Louisville doesn’t have to make a game since they lost. And won’t be ahead of PSU

Unless the committee jumps Ole Miss and LsU over PSU

IF the B1G tries to send the Gophers back to Phoenix, I hope that someone from the B1G - or barring that, Fleck and Coyle - have the guts to stand up and say "We will not play on a sub-standard field that puts players at risk. If the Bowl organizers cannot "guarantee" a field that meets D1 standards, we will not participate."

If you are going to host a bowl game, you should be required to provide a quality field. if you can't provide a quality field, you should not be allowed to host a bowl game.

IF the B1G tries to send the Gophers back to Phoenix, I hope that someone from the B1G - or barring that, Fleck and Coyle - have the guts to stand up and say "We will not play on a sub-standard field that puts players at risk. If the Bowl organizers cannot "guarantee" a field that meets D1 standards, we will not participate."

If you are going to host a bowl game, you should be required to provide a quality field. if you can't provide a quality field, you should not be allowed to host a bowl game.
That's fair. It won't happen, but it's fair.

Gophers will likely be in Quick lane. Can't bitch they controlled own destiny and went 0 for November.

So Detroit is officially out?
Not officially, but it’s quite likely. One piece of that puzzle already fell with Georgia being ranked higher than OSU so the B1G keeps the Tampa bowl (whereas that was off the table prior to yesterday). The other piece is whether PSU stays in the NYD6 bowls, but everything I’ve seen says they will. So if both those happen, B1G doesn’t have enough teams to fill their bowls, and with Detroit being lowest rung, it’s likely unfilled as has been the case in previous years.

I’m seeing a lot of Minnesota - Kansas in Phoenix right now, BTW.

Not officially, but it’s quite likely. One piece of that puzzle already fell with Georgia being ranked higher than OSU so the B1G keeps the Tampa bowl (whereas that was off the table prior to yesterday). The other piece is whether PSU stays in the NYD6 bowls, but everything I’ve seen says they will. So if both those happen, B1G doesn’t have enough teams to fill their bowls, and with Detroit being lowest rung, it’s likely unfilled as has been the case in previous years.

I’m seeing a lot of Minnesota - Kansas in Phoenix right now, BTW.
Phoenix and Vegas are the two clear favorites. Maryland has never been to phoenix and the gophers were there two years ago.

Neither have been to Vegas.

The big ten contracts are muddy. Who selects first? Nobody knows. Whoever selects first HAS to select non gophers. Technically the gophers have to be the last bowl team placed.
They work with the conference. No idea where we go. The analysts I trust are saying phoenix. I lean Vegas

Vegas will want the fanbase that travels best, plain and simple. It’s a new bowl to the conf and so we’ll be wanting to make sure their promotion team is happy with the number of hotels sold, restaurants booked, etc.

The Guaranteed Rate Bowl sounds like a threat and not a slogan in 2023

Phoenix and Vegas are the two clear favorites. Maryland has never been to phoenix and the gophers were there two years ago.

Neither have been to Vegas.

The big ten contracts are muddy. Who selects first? Nobody knows. Whoever selects first HAS to select non gophers. Technically the gophers have to be the last bowl team placed.
They work with the conference. No idea where we go. The analysts I trust are saying phoenix. I lean Vegas

This is the problem with the Big Ten (and the bowls) not making an attempt to slot teams more equitably. Gophers have been the only 8-4 team to go to both the Pinstripe and the Guaranteed Rate Bowls from the Big Ten. Jumped by worse teams to go to a worse bowl. With repeat appearance stipulations.....it now seems that the Gophers.....with a team easily worse than the previous two years.....might be shoehorned into a better bowl than a couple of more deserving teams simply due to placement from previous years.

Shouldn't we start getting the other bowl announcements here soon?

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned here is that because we had to use an exemption to qualify at 5-7, we might not be treated like a normal bowl-eligible Big Ten team.

That might throw the repeat clauses out the window? Or force us down to the Detroit Bowl anyway?

Vegas will want the fanbase that travels best, plain and simple. It’s a new bowl to the conf and so we’ll be wanting to make sure their promotion team is happy with the number of hotels sold, restaurants booked, etc.
I'm guessing this bowl is not in the top five (or even 10) of events Vegas is worrying about over the Holidays.

This is the problem with the Big Ten (and the bowls) not making an attempt to slot teams more equitably. Gophers have been the only 8-4 team to go to both the Pinstripe and the Guaranteed Rate Bowls from the Big Ten. Jumped by worse teams to go to a worse bowl. With repeat appearance stipulations.....it now seems that the Gophers.....with a team easily worse than the previous two years.....might be shoehorned into a better bowl than a couple of more deserving teams simply due to placement from previous years.

Be careful what you ask for. Getting slotted to a lower bowl may have helped with those bowl victories.

One I read has the gophers in Nashville

NY6 - MI/OSU/PSU
Citrus - Iowa
Formerly Outback - Wisconsin

Nashville -
Phoenix - Minnesota 2021
Vegas
New York (Maryland 2021, Minnesota 2022, northwestern 2016, Rutgers 2013 - my pick is Rutgers)

The only two games that feel like logical avoidance things to me are-
Maryland and Minnesota shouldn’t go to New York
Minnesota shouldn’t go to Phoenix

Top Bottom