What bowl do you predict Gophers will be in?

For this year yes, but we have been 8-4 twice, with head to head wins against teams that have jumped the Gophers in bowl selection. So we do have a gripe from past years. This year, not much you can say.
Yup. No complaining this year…but the last two years, definitely complaint worthy. Part of me was hoping MN ended up in Phoenix again so we could say it doesn’ matter if the team is 5-7 or 8-4…they’ll end up in the same spot.

the Gophers are literally the last team to qualify for a bowl game.
the Gophers are the only 5-7 team playing in a bowl game.

there is no reason to expect that the Gophers would be slotted above any other B1G team. Frankly, the Gophers are lucky to be in a bowl game. they have no reason to complain about which bowl they are assigned to.

want to be in a better bowl game - then win more games.
Exactly!

Didn't know my buddy knew the 5-7 qualification versus 6-6 rule for that Guaranteed rate bowl and conference stipulation with Mountain West. I didn't know that was a thing, or the rule he did. That is why he was saying Quick lane bowl. I got to crash at his place when we were in Phoenix. Oh well, I can't go this year either way, so neither game, would I benefit being there.
As Adam Sandler famously said, “Information that would’ve been useful to me YESTERDAY!” lol…

How did garunteed rate bowl go without a big ten team?

They have a rule in their contract that says they can't take a 5-7 Big Ten team over another bowl eligible team.....or something like that.

The spot shifts to the Mountain West Conference when the Big Ten doesn’t have enough 6-6 or better teams to fill the spot. Andy Greder has a story on it in the Pioneer Press.

With so much detail about the bowls and the Big Ten’s rules for them published …. why was this little 5-7 clause withheld??

Just to troll people trying to predict the bowls, basically???

For the sake of full dissing, assuming the Gophers are the lowest team on the B1G bowl pecking order, which team is next lowest and where did they end up against who?

Thanks in advance to whoever.

Probably Northwestern. In Vegas against Utah.

No bowl actually wants a 5-7 team. It’s just the bottom rung desperate for whomever they can get.

For this year yes, but we have been 8-4 twice, with head to head wins against teams that have jumped the Gophers in bowl selection. So we do have a gripe from past years. This year, not much you can say.
Certainly us old timers remember that San Antonio was where the Gophers wanted...no BELONGED...to go in the Mason Era and we were always passed by the Hawks, Wisky, Purdue, whoever. Major complaining about the bowl selection process in those days.

That's how we ended up in El Paso twice for the Sun Bowl.

Some things don't change in the bowl allotments although we did travel very well in 2014...and I'd submit in 2019 too.

With so much detail about the bowls and the Big Ten’s rules for them published …. why was this little 5-7 clause withheld??

Bad reporters in the twin cities and national media

Certainly us old timers remember that San Antonio was where the Gophers wanted...no BELONGED...to go in the Mason Era and we were always passed by the Hawks, Wisky, Purdue, whoever. Major complaining about the bowl selection process in those days.

That's how we ended up in El Paso twice for the Sun Bowl.

Some things don't change in the bowl allotments although we did travel very well in 2014...and I'd submit in 2019 too.
I'd LOVE it if we ever went back to the Sun Bowl. That's a stadium I want to visit.

I wouldn’t read much into it. Lower bowls need backup plans for when there isn’t a bowl eligible conference team. Minnesota isn’t bowl eligible and therefore this provision kicks in.

Top Bottom