UVa site says Tubby to be named coach on Monday

I think Flip Saunders is a darn good coach, period.

Can he recruit? Can he identify talent? Can he develop talent? College coaches have a far more expansive role in the success and failure of their team than NBA coaches.

Just for the pure entertainment of it all, I perused the Virginia boards a little this afternoon and apparently, one of their higher ups recently flew his private jet to Louisiana, presumably to speak with LSU coach Trent Johnson.

If this is true, Virginia might be turning their interest toward Trent Johnson.

In other irrevalent news, Ratcliffe also won't let the Tubby thing go. He's still convinced Tubby is all but a Cavalier despite a clear lack of any inside sources. He's quoted other coaches, namely Barnes and the aforementioned Johnson, as his clearest sources that Tubby is coming because Virginia can meet what they say a coach needs to win :rolleyes:....Talk about a reach....

Meanwhile back in the land of the reasonable, Tubby and his staff are unofficially hosting a 2011 recruit on campus.

Well for the first time I'm worried... I'm not here to make stuff up either but a combo of people that have worked with the wolves org, played on the Gopher Football squad and is generally connected in the realm of sports and The U... have said they think he's gone. While I'm still confident he'll stay, the inside nature of this info as well as the corresponding info on both sides of the deal have me quite worried.

Not here to drum up drama, thought I'd pass it along, unfortunate as it could be.

Just to continue the Flip discussion, I was speaking with Kansas fans at the NCAA Regional games last weekend and they basically intimated that it was their belief that if Flip did one day become coach of the Gophers, the rest of the country would be officially on notice.

They went on to say that he would likely build the Gophers into a top-notch powerhouse. They based this on his extensive NBA success, saying that he would be able to recruit nationally like a champ and that we'd all of the sudden have one heckuva of a run with him at the helm.

Again, these are Kansas fans speaking. But I get the impression that if Flip were hired one day, the rest of the country would really take notice.

Well for the first time I'm worried... I'm not here to make stuff up either but a combo of people that have worked with the wolves org, played on the Gopher Football squad and is generally connected in the realm of sports and The U... have said they think he's gone. While I'm still confident he'll stay, the inside nature of this info as well as the corresponding info on both sides of the deal have me quite worried.

Not here to drum up drama, thought I'd pass it along, unfortunate as it could be.

Just to clarify, which one is it. Are you worried or confident?? Hard to tell from what you just said.

Just to continue the Flip discussion, I was speaking with Kansas fans at the NCAA Regional games last weekend and they basically intimated that it was their belief that if Flip did one day become coach of the Gophers, the rest of the country would be officially on notice.

They went on to say that he would likely build the Gophers into a top-notch powerhouse. They based this on his extensive NBA success, saying that he would be able to recruit nationally like a champ and that we'd all of the sudden have one heckuva of a run with him at the helm.

Again, these are Kansas fans speaking. But I get the impression that if Flip were hired one day, the rest of the country would really take notice.

AND he has said since he left the Pistons that coaching the Gophers would be his dream job for the rest of his career. That would be nice to have in this day and age of college coaching.

LOL

Too funny. I just checked and Martian Monkees have not landed atop Williams Arena and Tubby is still our coach. Good to see the silliness of indisputable sourcing doesnt affect your prose.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

:) :) :)

AND he has said since he left the Pistons that coaching the Gophers would be his dream job for the rest of his career. That would be nice to have in this day and age of college coaching.

Actually, I was kind of surprised the U didn't make a stronger run at him before Smith was hired. He might have still been with the Pistons at that time, I can't fully recall.

At the time, Flip was my "dream hire." I literally spit my beverage out when I found out that it was Tubby. Certainly, Flip is almost as big of a name as Tubby in basketball circles, but I didn't even consider Tubby a candidate at the time (as most people didn't).

I'd imagine Flip could convince Taylor to stick around as his recruiting guru.

I've always pictured Lawrence Frank moving to the collegiate level. I think he'd do well at that level.

Actually, I was kind of surprised the U didn't make a stronger run at him before Smith was hired. He might have still been with the Pistons at that time, I can't fully recall.

At the time, Flip was my "dream hire." I literally spit my beverage out when I found out that it was Tubby. Certainly, Flip is almost as big of a name as Tubby in basketball circles, but I didn't even consider Tubby a candidate at the time (as most people didn't).

From what I remember the Pistons were still playing and he couldn't or didn't want to negotiate during the season. I do believe if Tubby had not shown interest - Flip would be our coach today.

I was at work when I found out about Tubby - I actually screamed and jumped up. I called my Dad and he didn't believe me until he logged on. Tubby was the surprise hire of a lifetime.

Well I went to the U. Had FB, BB ,and Hockey tickets, as well as a friends on the track & golf teams. I also lived down the hall from the basketball team and I think he is staying in MN.

When it comes to coaching hires, I've learned that it's best to just keep your mouth shut and wait for the hire to happen. There have been so many rumors the past week on Tubby and Virginia that I have no idea what to believe anymore. One minute I hear something and am convinced that this is a made up story by some wishful thinking and uninformed Virginia writers and fans, and then all of a sudden there is a twist and someonw you trust has some news that makes it look like he is all but gone.

All I can say is that he isn't acting like a coach who is leaving and if he is leaving, he has done an amazing job of hiding it from several of his assistants. Minnesota coaches spent alot of time this weekend watching underclassmen like Alipate, Krueser, Singleton, and Brown at the state tournament and today hosted Joe Hanstad, a sophomore, not the behavior of a coach about to leave.

When it comes to coaching hires, I've learned that it's best to just keep your mouth shut and wait for the hire to happen. There have been so many rumors the past week on Tubby and Virginia that I have no idea what to believe anymore. One minute I hear something and am convinced that this is a made up story by some wishful thinking and uninformed Virginia writers and fans, and then all of a sudden there is a twist and someonw you trust has some news that makes it look like he is all but gone.

All I can say is that he isn't acting like a coach who is leaving and if he is leaving, he has done an amazing job of hiding it from several of his assistants. Minnesota coaches spent alot of time this weekend watching underclassmen like Alipate, Krueser, Singleton, and Brown at the state tournament and today hosted Joe Hanstad, a sophomore, not the behavior of a coach about to leave.

I can almost bet one of his assistants (Saul) would know if his Dad is leaving The U.

Tubby isn't leaving.

Too funny. I just checked and Martian Monkees have not landed atop Williams Arena and Tubby is still our coach. Good to see the silliness of indisputable sourcing doesnt affect your prose.

:) :) :)

Like I said I remain skeptical, but when a 60 year old very successful Gopher and respected individual passes that info on, I'm going to listen. I'm not saying its indisputable and up until hearing this info it was all drama to me. I guess this was the quintessential "when it becomes personal". Combine that info with the non-stop chatter from UVa and I've become a little worried.

Hopefully for naught. Thanks 201.

I'm with you 100 percent Johnny. If it turns out to be true that he's considering Virginia (and to hear them tell it, he is), he's done a remarkable job of snowballing here. I for one don't happen to think he's going anywhere other to find more recruits (which is apparently what he's been doing for more than a week now). I can't fathom a reason Jirsa would invite Hanstad to campus if the head man is on the verge of signing a contract with Virginia. That sounds like total nonsense to me. On top of that, he went to see Cobbs in California and watched Royce play throughout the state tournament. Again, not the behavior of somebody who is negotiating a contract with another school.

But hey, it's sports. Nonsense often applies.

frettin'

Like I said I remain skeptical, but when a 60 year old very successful Gopher and respected individual passes that info on, I'm going to listen. I'm not saying its indisputable and up until hearing this info it was all drama to me. I guess this was the quintessential "when it becomes personal". Combine that info with the non-stop chatter from UVa and I've become a little worried.

This is the price we pay (along with all that real cash) for having a great coach that most other d1 schools would love to have. We certainly cant blame the UV fans for wanting Tubby. They arent as dumb as the UK fans were.

Anything is possible in the college hoops coaching world but I just dont see it happening with Tubby now. All "signs" indicate and what Tubby has actually said indicates he is staying. Until Tubby says otherwise, Tubby is the coach of the Golden Gophers.

:)

I sent your rumor to AD. I'm not buying it.

I agree with FOT.........

why would this guy know more than the assistant coaches? He's just a part of the paranoia crowd, who doesn't want to be shocked if the worst happends.

When you examine the evidence, there are no good signs that we are losing our coach.

I agree that this is a reasonable post as well (though the "ain't" comment was a little underhanded." And I see your point about having a young up and coming coach for UVA whereas given the past dozen + years at MN dictated Tubby being the perfect coach to bring back MN to the top (minus recruiting irregularities that is). Part of the MN argument is that Tubby is perfect for MN at this time. He brings mature integrity to the school and the UofM needs more then a couple more years of his leadership to fully right the ship.

Also, Tubby is about half way there in bringing MN to national power status. He has a top 10 recruiting class coming in and a more seasoned group of players as well.

Along with that, there is no reason not to believe that Tubby and his wife are genuinely happy at MN.

Oh, and one more thing, contrary to your position the UVA is a great school compared to MN, which "ain't" bad, the UofM is no doormat to UVA. UVA may have had some glory years that they are trying to resurrect, but so does the U of M. Right now, the UofM is farther along then you at bringing them back with obvious indicators it is on the right track to do so. Tubby is the architect of that return and I just don't see him leaving before the job is finished, especially with the players coming in.

My "ain't" comment was not meant to be "underhanded". It was more "a tongue in cheek" comment and should have included a smiley face with a wink. I do not believe in saying bad things about another school. The pride in each of our schools should be respected, notice my other comment earlier in my remarks, "Virginia is a good school, Minnesota is a good school". If you read all my posts on HooNation, you would not see me disparaging any other schools. I was only responding to what I considered unreasonably critical comments on another Minnesota site about UVA that were not based on facts and the BB history of our school.

You feel Tubby is the perfect fit for Minnesota and we at UVA feel that Tubby is the perfect fit for us and could do wonders for our program. I feel very few, if any coach, could turn UVA basketball around as rapidly as Tubby could. He is capable, I believe, of taking Virginia back to the successes we enjoyed in the Terry Holland "era" and possibly beyond. UVA has all the tools in place for the right coach.

We can all agree on one thing, "Tubby is a great coach".

Here is my question -- when Tubby isn't name the Virginia head coach tomorrow, can we stop with all the speculation? Or will it be.... "hmmm.... I meant NEXT Monday."

Don GO UVA

"We can all agree on one thing, "Tubby is a great coach". "

Yup, we agree.

Best of luck getting a great coach, but not Tubby. :)

I am sure you understand our point of view.

Here is my question -- when Tubby isn't name the Virginia head coach tomorrow, can we stop with all the speculation? Or will it be.... "hmmm.... I meant NEXT Monday."

Until they have a new head coach. That is, until the next job becomes open at at least a mid-major school.

I can almost bet one of his assistants (Saul) would know if his Dad is leaving The U.

Tubby isn't leaving.

Funny you should say. Saul was the only ass't that I didn't see all weekend at the state tourney. Jirsa....check. Taylor....check. Esposito...check. Tubby...check. Saul....?

I don't know what to believe anymore but I didn't think about this until you mentioned it. Coincidence? (or maybe he was around and I just didn't see him)

Top Bottom