UVa site says Tubby to be named coach on Monday

I agree this makes more sense than Tubby. Someone posted in the last few days about a flight from IA and a reply was that "didn't we have a layover in IA when we went to MN a few years ago".

Players bolting, Big10 program, going nowhere fast. Now this is the first thing on that board that has made some sense in the last week. I go there as much as CatPause these days for pure entertainment.

I see the Iowa stereotypes have already begun. Better them than us I guess.

Yeah, now they are taking after us and claiming their inherent superiority....again.:rolleyes:

One even tried to rip on us for "ignoring rumors." I guess from now on, we all should never ignore a rumor ever again....

I don't think the economy is too tough for Tubby. It won't be a financial decision.

Golly, Gee Whiz ... Dumbest Post Ever

IF Tubby does leave to UVA, and Cobbs wants to go too.. Here's my question:

Assuming Flip gets the job immediately, should the Gophers let Cobbs out of his commitment (if that's what he wants) and just go after Darius Smith hard again?

Don't jump down my throat.. I realize that's a lot of IF's.. Tubby would have to leave, UVA would need to have an open scholarship somehow, and Cobbs would have to be dead set on following Tubby, regardless of the school. I just think it's an interesting question.
And if Section 201's Monkeys are correct and the world does end Sunday at 6:00 ...

• should we start Cobbs for the two pre-season games but retroactively let him out of his commitment just to show that there's no hard feelings?
  • should we sign Flip with a contractual provision that requires he return all monies Monday morning if the world does really end?!?
  • should the GopherHole require a majority vote on whether a question is interesting before it can be raised -- kinda like "deja vu" -- but more far-reaching, if you know what I mean.
But at least nobody jumped down your throat. Sorta.

I bet it's Izzo. I have a source and he was telling me how much he likes "Izzo's ice cream." At first I thought it was a misunderstanding, but now I realize he's using code and telling me who the next HC at UVa is going to be.

And he's a monkey trainer.

I bet it's Izzo. I have a source and he was telling me how much he likes "Izzo's ice cream." At first I thought it was a misunderstanding, but now I realize he's using code and telling me who the next HC at UVa is going to be.

And he's a monkey trainer.

someone is on FIRE tonight!

Totally ridiculous

This is idiotic. Tubby is going nowhere. It is more likely that Billy Donovan will coach Minnesota next year than Tubby coaching Virginia.

Admission...

this thread is a hoot. I hope UV doesnt pick a coach for weeks! The possibilities are endless.
:) :) :)

Izzo leave MS for Virginia! Not going to happen.

As an aside, I mentioned that the Kentucky folks thought Izzo might be a candidate for their job to dear old dad earlier today and he came back with "yeah, he might think about it. But before that he would have to fall down the stairs, land on his head, go through a lengthy coma and then suddenly recover before coming to his senses and realize the fog he found himself in."

Actually, this is about where I think any school's chances of landing Izzo lay: In some kind of coma-induced state of confusion.

Alright this just getting funnier. I checked out the UVA site and they revealed the identity of the "source" who called the latest Tubby hire by telling people to google his username. I'll leave it at that.

Alright this just getting funnier. I checked out the UVA site and they revealed the identity of the "source" who called the latest Tubby hire by telling people to google his username. I'll leave it at that.

Can you summarize - I hate that board and it's layout with a passion

I had a dream last night that Bill Self came to Gopherlady and told her that Tom Izzo was leaving Lupi for her and coming to Minnesota. Tubby was replacing McHale, and McHale leaked this info when he met Bob Dylan in Hibbing for coffee. Flip finds himself inexplicably in Virginia and realizes he has a final in Calculus that he hasn't studied for, and is then chased down the hall by a mob of UK fans who force him to sign a contract.
Then I woke up, but it makes sense to me.

I had a dream last night that Bill Self came to Gopherlady and told her that Tom Izzo was leaving Lupi for her and coming to Minnesota. Tubby was replacing McHale, and McHale leaked this info when he met Bob Dylan in Hibbing for coffee. Flip finds himself inexplicably in Virginia and realizes he has a final in Calculus that he hasn't studied for, and is then chased down the hall by a mob of UK fans who force him to sign a contract.

:cry: that is me laughing so hard that there are tears! too funny.

Can you summarize - I hate that board and it's layout with a passion

I've never seen a more confusing board layout in my life. The majority of people just post one liners in the subject and that's it, it's hard to read and follow and it's incredibly outdated. Not to mention the majority of their fans are irrational.

Go Gophers!!

I haven't read every post that has to do with Tubby leaving, but I have a simple question: If he left, what does that do to his credibility as a coach? I mean, he bolted Kentucky (granted, it was pretty much a no brainer and I don't think anyone blames him or would, even Kentucky fans seem to get it), and he's been saying all along that he is staying here. If you're a recruit, how can you be sure he won't do the same at his next stop if he is willing to leave two years after arriving?

I know there are examples of coaches who've done that (Bobby Petrino comes to mind...), but I just feel like this would turn him from a respectable and highly thought of man to somewhat of a "bad guy".

I personally don't think he's leaving us for VA. I don't think they can offer anything that we can't, except the family and weather thing, but i think that would be countered by the mess they have for a basketball program right now and how we are on the way up, or seem to be.

Post of the year.

I've been reading Gopherhole for about 2 years and Moonlight has the best post I've read yet. Quality stuff. How are you going to top this?

Okay, I believe its time to cut through this crap about Virginia and float out my current theory.

Word earlier in the week was Virginia had an offer out to somebody, originally not thought to be Tubby, but to somebody. There were some conflicting reports on this, but one of their bloggers believed it to be the case. What I think happened is this: The offer was made, Virginia told the coach in question to think about it and give them an answer and that coach has now given them an answer.

Since that time, Tubby has gone on the road to see Justin Cobbs and Royce White play in their respective state tournaments. He has also done an interview with Sid in which he talked about how excited he is for his incoming recruits next year, thinks the team is on the threshold of something special and praised the level of high school basketball in the state. To me, doesn't sound like a guy who is going somewhere else.

Back to Virginia for a moment, my theory is that the original coach in question has accepted and now they are working out the details of his contract, which is supposedly going to be announced on Monday. However, I highly doubt the coach in question is Tubby. Again, unless Tubby is pulling one of the all-time snowjobs in this part of the country, I'm thinking whoever received the initial offer has accepted and is now working out the details. If it's Tubby, than I stand corrected. But I don't think it is.

Okay, enough rationality. Time to get back to rumorville!!!!:D

Todd Lickliter just held a news conference TODAY in Iowa City. No chance he's the guy for UVA. If he is going to UVA he certainly doesn't hold a news conference today to answer questions about why his guys are transferring. Obviously no one on that board knows anything.

That presser was obligatory. It doesn't preclude a move by Lickliter at all.

GoldInDirt,
Watch for The Bold and Gopherhole: A Coaching Retrospective.

Maroon ---

And as Bob goes on to sing forlornly to Billy Gillepsie:
How does it feel
To be on your own
Like a complete unknown
Like a rolling stone

Maroon I have to say this one by Moonlight is the post of the year!

But we can disagree without being disagreeable :)

And Moonlight --> :clap: :clap: :clap:

I don't think the economy is too tough for Tubby. It won't be a financial decision.

Why? It was completely a financial decision that last time UVA offered him a job. Seems to me quite logical that it would be a financial decision this time, too. If UVA had offered him $3 million last time, he's already the coach there. If he is offered $3.5-$4 million/year this time, why is it hard to believe he wouldn't bolt for the cash, moving to his wife's virtual hometown to boot?

That presser was obligatory. It doesn't preclude a move by Lickliter at all.

It was not obligatory. If you think Lickliter would sit through negative questions about the future of Iowa basketball today, all the while knowing he's going to be introduced on Monday in Charlotteville, then you're nuts. On top of which, anyone who thinks that the UVA AD would fire Leito, float Tubby's name, and then pull out Todd Freaking Lickliter as the coach, then they are even more nuts. That would essentially be career suicide for that AD.

Those I have talked to who are in the media here (those who don't speculate on blogs) point out that if UVA was going to land Tubby they likely would have done it by now. There is no confirmation yet there's going to be anyone revealed on Monday, let alone if it will be Tubby.

Those I have talked to who are in the media here (those who don't speculate on blogs) point out that if UVA was going to land Tubby they likely would have done it by now. There is no confirmation yet there's going to be anyone revealed on Monday, let alone if it will be Tubby.

howeda7, that makes sense to me. If it was going to be Tubby, why would both parties have waited a week? That doesn't do the new coach or UVa any good. Thanks for your onsite insight!

Go Gophers!!

Practically speaking, I totally agree with you. There is no basis for this rumor at all. But we have to remember that the initial rumor came from someone who said they heard this from donors. In other words, they heard it from someone who heard it from someone who may have heard it from somewhere else. The only people who have talked directly to Tubby lately that I know of are reporters in the cities and they haven't said anything about a possible move to Virginia in more than a week.

It just looks like a rumor and a substantially weak rumor at that...

Practically speaking, I totally agree with you. There is no basis for this rumor at all. But we have to remember that the initial rumor came from someone who said they heard this from donors. In other words, they heard it from someone who heard it from someone who may have heard it from somewhere else. The only people who have talked directly to Tubby lately that I know of are reporters in the cities and they haven't said anything about a possible move to Virginia in more than a week.

It just looks like a rumor and a substantially weak rumor at that...

Virginia athletics is funded a little differently then Minnesota. The coaches are employees of the University. But the University only pays a small part of thier salary and the 'Virigina Athletic Fund' pays the rest. The VAF is funded by donors obviously, and it has gotten hit hard by the economy as you might expect.

That being said, I'm quite sure that the heavy hitters (John Tutor Jones specifically). gave thier support long before Dave Lieto was fired. Therefore I find it very hard to believe that after keeping this tight lipped the whole time, they struck a deal with Tubby and then had to call around to additional donors cobbling together enough money to do the deal.

Virginia athletics is funded a little differently then Minnesota. The coaches are employees of the University. But the University only pays a small part of thier salary and the 'Virigina Athletic Fund' pays the rest. The VAF is funded by donors obviously, and it has gotten hit hard by the economy as you might expect.

That being said, I'm quite sure that the heavy hitters (John Tutor Jones specifically). gave thier support long before Dave Lieto was fired. Therefore I find it very hard to believe that after keeping this tight lipped the whole time, they struck a deal with Tubby and then had to call around to additional donors cobbling together enough money to do the deal.

Thanks for the insight. Regardless, I find it almost impossible to believe that Tubby is on his way to Virginia. There just isn't any indication of such a move.

Top Bottom