UVa site says Tubby to be named coach on Monday

NateDawg and Art Vandelay appear to be long lost twins

NateDawg and Art Vandelay appear to be long lost twins

Wohoo, somebody else doesn't think Tubby is god. He's a great coach, but we have double digit losses the past two years and 0 NCAA tournament wins. I'm not gonna be bawling if he leaves.

Wohoo, somebody else doesn't think Tubby is god. He's a great coach, but we have double digit losses the past two years and 0 NCAA tournament wins. I'm not gonna be bawling if he leaves.

As Anton Ego said in Ratatouie "give me some perspective!"

How'd those 10 years before (1988 thru 2007) go for Minnesota?

Oh.

Here is the latest news flash from the Sabre:

Subject: Re: If it's Tubby, & the presser is Monday, logic dictates that TS would inform
Posted by: Captain Hoo on Sat Mar 28 2009 5:39:14 PM
The current rumor is that we almost had things wrapped yesterday and
had a contractual hang up last night. Our team is trying like hell to
hammer the two details out by tomorrow AM.
It's Tubby and the farm is on the table.

We need a few emails to Casteen that a Tubby hire makes sense.

Here is the link: http://www.thesabre.com/message_board/basketball/2009/March/28/1104934.php

The author is either delusional or just writing junk to yank the chain of the sabre-folk. This was almost worthy of a new thread.

Either way this guy gets this from me: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Or both.

I don't disagree with your implication the Flip would be a comparable coach to Tubby in terms of ability. But I wouldn't call Tubby a rolling stone. Most coaches have been to multiple stops, just like him.

Anyway, I had a thought a while ago and wanted some opinions. What's wrong with Billy G as coach of UVA? I don't think he's a bad coach, I'd actually suspect he's above average both as a coach and recruiter. He may not be able to handle the media all that well, but that's less of a factor at UVA.

Maybe they should back off of Tubby, and move onto names like Billy G.

NateDawg is the biggest POS "fan" I've run across here (or any other Gopher website).

Yikes...I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul. A little tip, huffing glue before you post is not the way to go.

NateDawg is the biggest POS "fan" I've run across here (or any other Gopher website).

What???

I COMPLETELY disagree with Nate on this. I'm thrilled that Tubby's here, and I think he is far too proud of his integrity to throw it away by leaving for UVa after publicly saying he wasn't.

But Nate's been on this board on long time, has posted tons of insightful, interesting stuff, and loves the gophs as much as ANYONE. FOT, you're no gopher fan, and you've been here only as long as Tubby. As usual, you have lots of stats, but no logical reasoning ability, and unmitigated arrogance/stupidity to be trying to tell us who is and isn't a fan. You have some interesting insights to go along with all the banal tripe you post, and I'm glad you're here, but you've got an incredibly long way to go to earn the stripes that Nate has.

I COMPLETELY disagree with Nate on this. I'm thrilled that Tubby's here, and I think he is far too proud of his integrity to throw it away by leaving for UVa after publicly saying he wasn't.

But Nate's been on this board on long time, has posted tons of insightful, interesting stuff, and loves the gophs as much as ANYONE. FOT, you're no gopher fan, and you've been here only as long as Tubby. As usual, you have lots of stats, but no logical reasoning ability, and unmitigated arrogance/stupidity to be trying to tell us who is and isn't a fan. You have some interesting insights to go along with all the banal tripe you post, and I'm glad you're here, but you've got an incredibly long way to go to earn the stripes that Nate has.
I'll give you an "AMEN" to that post, Jim. It's not the end of the world for somebody to have an opposite viewpoint of Tubby's value here -- just a bit strange ;)

FoT, I understand you and Nate don't get along; however, Nate's been a long-time contributor while you're a "Friend-come-lately" and a one-sport (and one-coach) Gopher fan at best.

I'm a Minnesota fan, not a Tubby fan. Hell, half the fun of Tubby leaving would be to get rid of you.

Tubby is a great coach, if he leaves after two years, with two middle of the road Big Ten finishes and one NCAA tournament bid, excuse me if I'm not a huge wreck.

Nate !

Good grief. Yes, Tubby is not God.

Tubby is the best U of M hire since Murray Warmath. If not for Tubby, who would be wearing Golden Gopher jerseys next November? Would any of our 2008 or 2009 recruits be a Gopher if not for Tubby? They came here because of Tubby.

Would someone else have gotten 20 plus wins from Monson recruits? Losing Tubby would be a very bad thing, even with Flip in the wings.

The sun will still rise when Tubby leaves or retires. Rick Majerus was begging for the job, Flip Saunders would cherish the opportunity, Vince Taylor would do a well here if promoted, and we could get a top young guy like Tony Bennett. I believe Tubby will give the U a minimum of 5 years before he rides off.

This kind of posting might have been acceptable in Kentucky, but we expect some more class in these parts.

I sure hope you have some.

Go away FoT. We have all the stats you provide saved in the archives. You're of no use to us any more.

Vince, maybe. Flip, yuck.

What would be wrong with Flip?? He knows offense, and has a track record of coaching good teams. Also, his NBA experience would likely help in the recruiting battle, as no doubt Flip has tons of NBA connections for those blue-chip players to consider.

Overall, IF Tubby leaves, Flip has got to get the first phone call. That said, I still can't see why Tubby would ever want to leave unless he really feels too far from home. Besides, those VA people are obnoxious as hell. Just look at their message board. They're the best at everything. They're far worse than Wisconsin people, which should say a lot.

I guess from Tubby's point of view, at least they wouldn't be Kentucky basketball people; yet still, it would amaze me that a man of Tubby's seemingly humble stature would want to go to a place full of uppity elitists. If he wanted to do that he should just go coach somewhere in NYC.

No, why should I? What has he ever done?

Lol. Let's see, he led the Minnesota Timberwolves to by far their best records in their history. He led the Detroit Pistons deep into the playoffs many times. He is a UofM alum and staunch supporter with big UofM connections. He also seems like a good guy.

He can coach, the only questions are can he recruit, and would the transition from coaching a bunch of pampered babies in the NBA to the college game where kids actually have to make an effort be too much of a transtion?

No, why should I? What has he ever done?
1. Was a former U of M star, and a very smart basketball player
2. Coached an average Golden Valley Lutheran College to a 92-13 record, including 56-0 at home
3. 7 consecutive 30+ win seasons in the CBA (only 50-game season in CBA), including 2 CoY awards, and 2 CBA championships
4. Phenomenal NBA coach (especially with the X's and O's), leading the Timberwolves to their first playoff run, including a number of conference finals for both the TWolves and the Pistons.
5. Many current ties to the NBA, probably more so than any college coach. This alone would be HUGE for recruiting the top HS talent in the country looking for an "in" to the NBA. There are very few NBA coaches that go back to coach college...we could be so lucky (Pitino is only other one I can name, and he's quite a coach).
6. Local guy. Knows the high schools, knows the U (and its boosters), and knows the state.

I can't think of a better fit than Flip.

Mentioned this in another thread, but I saw Flip on campus walking around Mariucci on Wednesday. Obviously has an interest in the school.

Just for the pure entertainment of it all, I perused the Virginia boards a little this afternoon and apparently, one of their higher ups recently flew his private jet to Louisiana, presumably to speak with LSU coach Trent Johnson.

If this is true, Virginia might be turning their interest toward Trent Johnson.

In other irrevalent news, Ratcliffe also won't let the Tubby thing go. He's still convinced Tubby is all but a Cavalier despite a clear lack of any inside sources. He's quoted other coaches, namely Barnes and the aforementioned Johnson, as his clearest sources that Tubby is coming because Virginia can meet what they say a coach needs to win :rolleyes:....Talk about a reach....

Meanwhile back in the land of the reasonable, Tubby and his staff are unofficially hosting a 2011 recruit on campus.

Was it only last year that a Flip coached Detroit team was 59-23 (.720)?

This year's Pistons are now 35-37 (.486).

And do I have to tell anyone how the local NBA pretender has done since they fired the Flipper?

Was it only last year that a Flip coached Detroit team was 59-23 (.720)?

This year's Pistons are now 35-37 (.486).

That's what happens when you trade Chauncey Billups for Allen Iverson.

Can we just

keep posting and posting so this thread gets full and is closed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom