UPDATED (6/6): Jarrod Uthoff to transfer to Iowa, staying in B1G, pulling a Sam Okey

Our two most recent commits are:

1) Sam Dekker (5* according to ESPN and Rivals)
2) Bronson Koenig (4* according to ESPN and Rivals, offers from Duke, UNC and Kansas)

What are these "cracks" in Bo's recruiting that you are seeing? His recruiting effort over the past year and a half has easily been at the highest level it ever has been during his time at UW. 2009-2011 were horrendous recruiting years for Bo. 2012 and 2013 have been great so far.
The thing is if Bo HADN'T gotten at least one of these two players it would've been seen as a failure because they are from WI. The cracks in his recruiting are more evident when the area around WI does not have much talent.

I feel like when Colton Iverson transferred, he wasn't allowed to transfer to any team that we were playing the next season. Was the rule still in place then that if a player transferred in conference, he wasn't able to get a scholarship?QUOTE]

It appears that Tubby handled the Iverson transfer in a similar manner to how Bo is handling the Uthoff transfer:

"Minnesota also imposed restrictions that will forbid Iverson from transferring to another Big Ten school or to a program that the Gophers are scheduled to face next season."

http://articles.aberdeennews.com/2011-03-29/sports/29359692_1_gophers-colton-iverson-tubby-smith

I feel like when Colton Iverson transferred, he wasn't allowed to transfer to any team that we were playing the next season. Was the rule still in place then that if a player transferred in conference, he wasn't able to get a scholarship?QUOTE]

It appears that Tubby handled the Iverson transfer in a similar manner to how Bo is handling the Uthoff transfer:

"Minnesota also imposed restrictions that will forbid Iverson from transferring to another Big Ten school or to a program that the Gophers are scheduled to face next season."

http://articles.aberdeennews.com/2011-03-29/sports/29359692_1_gophers-colton-iverson-tubby-smith

That's different than restricting 25 schools in total, including an entire conference.

In a way all of these make sense. You don't want a player with intimate knowledge of your program going to a school you play against. Is UW playing ISU next year?

Well, I guess the logic is if Uthoff had transferred to an ACC school, he could've been playing against Wisconsin in the Challenge & Bo did not want to allow that to happen.

Well, I guess the logic is if Uthoff had transferred to an ACC school, he could've been playing against Wisconsin in the Challenge & Bo did not want to allow that to happen.
Ya, it's the ISU one that I don't get.

You Badger fans apparently have short memories. I already corrected GVBadger's erroneous statement to this effect earlier in the thread.

Between October 2002 and January 2004 (~14 months), Ryan secured verbals from:

Brian Butch, 5-star, #9 player in the country
Greg Stiemsma, 4-star, #45 player in the country
Joe Krabbenhoft, 5-star, #23 player in the country

You all like to pretend that you're getting some heretofore unseen infusion of talent, when that simply is not true.

Yeah, I guess that run was better, but that was still 8-10 years ago. I never said that we haven't historically recruited well, only that recruiting is actually improving, which would indicate that there aren't "cracks" in recruiting. I said 2009-2011 was bad. Before then we actually did quite well recruiting, landing Trevon Hughes, Jason Bohannon, Jon Leuer, Keaton Nankivil, etc.

In a way all of these make sense. You don't want a player with intimate knowledge of your program going to a school you play against. Is UW playing ISU next year?

I get it, both your post and madtowngopher's post. I understand the restriction of other Big 10 schools and Marquette and see that as very normal, but the ACC restrictions seem a little unusual. UW is obviously going to play one school from that conference next season, but saying he can't go to any of those schools doesn't quite add up. One thing to remember is that the initial report said all of the Big XII was restricted, and it turned out to be just Iowa St. Without knowing who UW will play next season, I could maybe see Virginia being on the list given that UW and UVA seem to cross paths on the recruiting trail pretty regularly. Also note that Jarrod said he wanted to say close to home in the midwest, so it shouldn't really matter if the ACC or SEC or Pac 12 are restricted. Regarding Iowa St., there have been rumors to tampering, in which case I would zero issue with the restriction. Even without that, UW and ISU are recruiting some of the same kids, so that may be driving the restriction.

All in all, a situation that I'd much rather not see UW involved in, especially with the open period beginning this weekend. It's too bad, as I really though Uthoff was going to be a good player for the Badgers, and I never heard a bad word about the kid. That said, some strange things from Uthoff in this process. He says he wants to stay home, but complains about an ACC restriction. He says he thought about the transfer for a few months, but didn't know the Big 10 doesn't allow inter-conference transfers to accept scholarships? And he didn't know that two midwest schools he would consider (UNI and Creighton) don't have a scholarship available for him? It also sounds like the UNI coaches and at least one player (Matt Bohannon) knew about the transfer before the UW players.

At this point, I just hope the situation comes to a satisfactory resolution for Uthoff and Bo doesn't take too much more criticism.

You said...

Normally he does just fine with the recruiting. Although, i do see cracks developing in his foundation.

So how does JT graduating indicate cracks in Bo's recruiting foundation? Or are you now talking about the program as a whole? If so, we lost Leuer and Nankivil last year and did just fine, we lost Hughes and Bohannon the year before that and did just fine again....there's a trend here, see if you can figure it out. Under Bo Ryan, Wisconsin has never once finished worse than 4th in the Big Ten.

Bo must also see the "cracks" - see his recent actions.

So Tubby must have seen some "cracks" in Minnesota's foundation when he restricted Iverson from transferring to 24 different schools...

ORRRRRR

Restricting players from transferring to your competition is completely frickin normal and you have no idea what you are talking about.

The plot thickens -

http://thegazette.com/2012/04/17/wi...uld-attend-any-big-ten-school-on-scholarship/

Badger fans -

Bo really needs your help - he is being trashed on one of the Iowa sites. Please take as much time as you need to set the Iowa fans straight. The Gopher fans will get along fine in the meantime. The Iowa fans are sneaky so you may need to camp out there full time for several months.

http://iowa.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=940&fid=803&style=2

It sounds like he wants to go to Iowa, they run and gun, but would take Iowa State. I think he should be released and allowed to go to Iowa State.

The kid also said it was the entire Big 12. I think he might have just been confused. We will see about the ACC part.

I agree that being called out by the national media isn't a good thing, but given that this story is not a big deal at all, I sincerely doubt it will affect our recruiting in any meaningful way.

I wouldn't want any kid to come to Wisconsin who's worried about transfer restrictions...

FWIW, I also do not like Bo restricting the ACC, if that's true. The Big Ten, Marquette and Iowa State make complete sense though, and anyone that doesn't see that is a complete moron.

Anyone that doesn't see how restricting ISU makes complete sense is a complete moron? First, that is complete hyperbole and completely childish. Second, is Tubby a complete moron for letting Royce White go there? I guess I am at a complete loss. Either that or I guess I am a complete moron. Regardless, it doesn't make complete sense to me. I guess there are/were 3 complete moron coaches in the Big Ten with Izzo (Allen), Tubby (Royce), and DeChellis (Babb) allowing players to transfer to ISU.

You said...

So how does JT graduating indicate cracks in Bo's recruiting foundation? Or are you now talking about the program as a whole? If so, we lost Leuer and Nankivil last year and did just fine, we lost Hughes and Bohannon the year before that and did just fine again....there's a trend here, see if you can figure it out. Under Bo Ryan, Wisconsin has never once finished worse than 4th in the Big Ten.

So Tubby must have seen some "cracks" in Minnesota's foundation when he restricted Iverson from transferring to 24 different schools...

ORRRRRR

Restricting players from transferring to your competition is completely frickin normal and you have no idea what you are talking about.

Bo is doing far more harm to his own recruiting by putting ISU on the list. You don't think the kids that both UW & ISU are recruiting haven't been told this by coaches, friends, and players? I say put more schools on the list Bo!

Jay Bilas tweet:

"Bo Ryan left UW-Milwaukee for Madison after just 2 years. Was his contract up? Was his "commitment" satisfied? Should HE have been blocked?"

Go Gophers!!

Anyone that doesn't see how restricting ISU makes complete sense is a complete moron? First, that is complete hyperbole and completely childish. Second, is Tubby a complete moron for letting Royce White go there? I guess I am at a complete loss. Either that or I guess I am a complete moron. Regardless, it doesn't make complete sense to me. I guess there are/were 3 complete moron coaches in the Big Ten with Izzo (Allen), Tubby (Royce), and DeChellis (Babb) allowing players to transfer to ISU.

1) At the time, none of those teams were in a recruiting battle with ISU

2) That was before tampering allegations came about

3) Yes, if you don't see why restricting ISU, in this situation, which different than three you presented, makes complete sense, then you are a moron.

This isn't some random school being blocked, they are our direct competition right now, and Bo doesn't like cheaters.

Bo is doing far more harm to his own recruiting by putting ISU on the list. You don't think the kids that both UW & ISU are recruiting haven't been told this by coaches, friends, and players? I say put more schools on the list Bo!

WILLBGOPHER's tactic when he realizes his argument has no merit = Don't address any points, make random comment

Priceless. Go away troll.

WILLBGOPHER's tactic when he realizes his argument has no merit = Don't address any points, make random comment

Priceless. Go away troll.

Wait...did you a Badger fan, just call a Gopher fan, on a Gopher message board, trashing the Badgers a troll. You really can't make this sh*t up.....

It seems to me the best thing that could have happened to Royce is that he was allowed to go to Iowa State. Hard to tell for sure but would he be in a position to be a first round draft pick two years later anywhere else. But I guess it is NCAA basketball and what is best for the student athletes should never be taken into consideration.

This is the best thread ever.

There hasn't been a major news outlet that hasn't reported this story. Student sections will be chanting Jarrod Uthoff clapclapclap Jarrod Uthoff clapclap clapclapclap.

Welcome to the party Fudgesconsin. It sucks when your program gets bad press doesn't it?

:clap::clap::clap:

This is the best thread ever.

There hasn't been a major news outlet that hasn't reported this story. Student sections will be chanting Jarrod Uthoff clapclapclap Jarrod Uthoff clapclap clapclapclap.

Welcome to the party Fudgesconsin. It sucks when your program gets bad press doesn't it?

:clap::clap::clap:

Frank Martin just blocked a kid from transferring to NC State. Tubby blocked Iverson from transferring to 24 different schools. What assholes.

This story will be forgotten by all (save the few people most desperate to see Wisconsin fall) within a few weeks. Meanwhile, Wisconsin will continue to have a better program than Minnesota. Sorry.

Jarrod Uthoff clapclapclap Jarrod Uthoff clapclap clapclapclap.

Please. This person should have been banned after he insulted coach Kill's wife. It is not a right to be vulgar and insulting on this site.

A few of your fellow Gophers would do good to remember this as well. Notice how all of my posts are respectful right up until I get insulted...which is fine, but banning a guy for giving it back is just lame. And chanting N-I-T is a ban-worth offense? Jeez, get some thicker skin.

Read my previous posts, the vast majority of them are respectful and are inline with a topic started by a Gopher fan. The insults and ribbing goes both ways and is in good fun, or at least I thought so, but apparently you are actually offended? Kind of sad really.

Top Bottom