UPDATED (6/6): Jarrod Uthoff to transfer to Iowa, staying in B1G, pulling a Sam Okey

oleboy41 said:
So any WI fans want to try to defend Ryan blocking him from going to any ACC school? Keep a kid out of an entire conference for fear of facing him once in 3 years? lol

Yeah, is this the first player to ever transfer out of Wisconsin or something? He seems awfully afraid to ever see him again.

I can understand putting Virgina on the list, but not the entire ACC. Tony Bennett recruits Wisconsin pretty hard so I'm sure Bo doesn't want Uthoff talking with potential Wisconsin recruits that go on official visits to Virginia. Kind of like the ISU argument some Badger fans were making.

Not knowing the whole story, the ACC restriction does seem rather odd.

One thing is apparent by Bo's reaction. This kid obviously was a big part of their plans in 2012-13 and beyond. No tears being shed here. Unfortunately, the Badger program will be fine with our without that kid.

Uthoff plans to visit Creighton early next week and meet with Coach Greg McDermott

I wonder how long it will be until Bo puts Creighton on the restricted list?

SelectionSunday said:
Not knowing the whole story, the ACC restriction does seem rather odd.

One thing is apparent by Bo's reaction. This kid obviously was a big part of their plans in 2012-13 and beyond. No tears being shed here. Unfortunately, the Badger program will be fine with our without that kid.

My guess on the ACC is due to the B1G / ACC challenge and wanting no chance of playing him again ever.

Sure having him in Virginia may hurt recruiting, but how do you explain this!?! "well, if you like it here you'll love it, but I hope you never ever change your mind or have second thoughts, because I am a huge @$$ hat about it when you do and I hold huge grudges. You would probably end up playing D2 even! Buyer beware I guess"

This is so different than how Tubby has handled any transfer. He talks kids up to other coaches, blames himself in part for it not working, and really seems to work to find kids the best fit.

Whats next for Bo? Place a restriction on every school that Wisconsin might play in the tournament? I hope where ever Jarrod ends up his new team meets up with the Badgers and Jarrod sticks it to The Grinch all day long.

Colin Cowherd just took his shot at Bo a few minutes ago on ESPN Radio. Amusing.

Go figure, Badger fan immediately calls in saying he got it "directly from the Badger beat writer" that most of the restrictions are in place by the Big Ten and/or the school LONG before this ever came up. Yeah, right.

This is so different than how Tubby has handled any transfer. He talks kids up to other coaches, blames himself in part for it not working, and really seems to work to find kids the best fit.

Great point. Tubby is as class as it gets when it comes to players transferring out. Has he ever limited a players options since he has been at Minnesota? I don't think he has.

Gopher Gold said:
Whats next for Bo? Place a restriction on every school that Wisconsin might play in the tournament? I hope where ever Jarrod ends up his new team meets up with the Badgers and Jarrod sticks it to The Grinch all day long.

I hope, just to stick it to Bo, he comes to Minnesota and pays his own way and we never lose to the Badgers again as he divulges all of Bo's secrets to Tubby who passes them on from coach to coach.

My guess on the ACC is due to the B1G / ACC challenge and wanting no chance of playing him again ever.

The ACC has top and "better" teams a kid could transfer to: Duke, UNC, NC St, Virginia, Florida St, Pitt, Syracuse, Va Tech (the rest doesn't mean much).

Bo already had JP Tokoto taken out of his recruitment bubble, he clearly doesn't want coaches from the major power conference poaching these types of 4 year players.

I hope Matt Thomas, Henry Ellenson, etc. are taking note of Bo's handling of this situation.

Great point. Tubby is as class as it gets when it comes to players transferring out. Has he ever limited a players options since he has been at Minnesota? I don't think he has.

I feel like when Colton Iverson transferred, he wasn't allowed to transfer to any team that we were playing the next season. Was the rule still in place then that if a player transferred in conference, he wasn't able to get a scholarship?

Other than that, I don't recall Tubby placing any restrictions on where players could transfer, but do you think when our players transferred, they already had a specific place in mind? Like Cobbs wanted to go back to California, Paul Carter wanted to go to the Chicago area to be with his sister. I don't remember any restrictions for Devoe or Royce.

Tubby seems to handle transfers well, as he should, unfortunately having had plenty of practice.

Apparently the national media isn't too happy with Bo. I wonder if THIS will hurt recruiting Badger2010?

“@JayBilas: NCAA says athletes just like any other student. But, only athlete transfers are BLOCKED. http://t.co/8mafVo1d Avocation? No way. Outrageous.”

“@SethDavisHoops: Another ridiculous power play by coach restricting player's ability to transfer. This time it's Bo Ryan.(h/t @jaybilas) http://t.co/LIqc2ZHE”

Bo Ryan has now added the entire ACC conference to go along with his restricted list. This is in addition to the Big10 conference, Iowa State, and Marquette.

Honestly, I doubt it will affect recruiting at all. What type of kid chooses a college for transfer leniency?

Let's also wait a little while here to make sure it is actually an entire ACC ban. Reports originally said that Bo placed the entire Big 12 on the restricted list, but it turned out to only be ISU. Wouldn't be surprised to see Virginia on the list for the same reason that ISU is on the list.

I usually don't jump on the "hate Bo Ryan" fan club, but this move exposes him for being a bit hypocritical, if nothing else.

Two years ago, he appeals to the Big Ten to get Brust into Wisconsin on scholarship from another Big Ten school, arguing what's best for the kid should take precedent. Now, his own player from Iowa wants to transfer and he rules out almost 30 schools. Is that what's best for the kid?

Clearly, it is all about what's best for Bo with no regard for much else.

Badger2010 said:
Honestly, I doubt it will affect recruiting at all. What type of kid chooses a college for transfer leniency?

Let's also wait a little while here to make sure it is actually an entire ACC ban. Reports originally said that Bo placed the entire Big 12 on the restricted list, but it turned out to only be ISU. Wouldn't be surprised to see Virginia on the list for the same reason that ISU is on the list.

The type of college kid who is a little concerned at the thought of being stuck with a decision for 4 years with few options out of it. How many kids transfer that aren't athletes? Quite a few. Look at the Transfer list for just this season. Kids change their mind. Heck, I could barely commit to a cell phone for two years. It'd make me second guess a school if the coach basically said via this case that I am not allowed to change my mind.

Also, having the head coach Called out by nearly all major sports network isn't a plus for a program. especially when the coaches they compete with for recruits are nearly always called class acts.

And considering the player himself said it was the entire ACC, I'm not ready to call him a liar just yet.

I usually don't jump on the "hate Bo Ryan" fan club, but this move exposes him for being a bit hypocritical, if nothing else.

Two years ago, he appeals to the Big Ten to get Brust into Wisconsin on scholarship from another Big Ten school, arguing what's best for the kid should take precedent. Now, his own player from Iowa wants to transfer and he rules out almost 30 schools. Is that what's best for the kid?

Clearly, it is all about what's best for Bo with no regard for much else.

Yeah, except Brust never enrolled at Iowa, and ended up signing a national letter of intent with Wisconsin. He wanted to get out of his commitment to Iowa, because the entire coaching staff was let go.

The two situations are completely different.

The type of college kid who is a little concerned at the thought of being stuck with a decision for 4 years with few options out of it. How many kids transfer that aren't athletes? Quite a few. Look at the Transfer list for just this season. Kids change their mind. Heck, I could barely commit to a cell phone for two years. It'd make me second guess a school if the coach basically said via this case that I am not allowed to change my mind.

Also, having the head coach Called out by nearly all major sports network isn't a plus for a program. especially when the coaches they compete with for recruits are nearly always called class acts.

And considering the player himself said it was the entire ACC, I'm not ready to call him a liar just yet.

The kid also said it was the entire Big 12. I think he might have just been confused. We will see about the ACC part.

I agree that being called out by the national media isn't a good thing, but given that this story is not a big deal at all, I sincerely doubt it will affect our recruiting in any meaningful way.

I wouldn't want any kid to come to Wisconsin who's worried about transfer restrictions...

FWIW, I also do not like Bo restricting the ACC, if that's true. The Big Ten, Marquette and Iowa State make complete sense though, and anyone that doesn't see that is a complete moron.

Yeah, except Brust never enrolled at Iowa, and ended up signing a national letter of intent with Wisconsin. He wanted to get out of his commitment to Iowa, because the entire coaching staff was let go.

The two situations are completely different.

I never said they were the same. But, in essence, Brust did have to request a transfer of sorts, he signed LOI with IA, and Bo needed a special waiver for which he argued to the league to keep the best interests of the kid in mind.

I think it exposes Bo for being a bit on the hypocritical side. He argues the Big Ten should take into account what's best for the kid. He could take his own advice. Seriously, if the kid wants to go to Virginia, let him go. You've already said you don't think it will impact recruiting.

Again, I'm more of a Bo fan than most on this board, so quit being so defensive. He isn't perfect and this could have been handled better. That's all.

I never said they were the same. Just that it exposes Bo for being a bit on the hypocritical side. He argues the Big Ten should take into account what's best for the kid. He could take his own advice. Seriously, if the kid wants to go to Virginia, let him go.
Right, but context actually matters. With Brust, he had no relationship with the coaching staff and the entire program was in flux. Given the state of the Iowa program at the time, it'd be best for the kid to leave, and the kid had a legitimate reason as to why things changed since his decision.

With Uthoff, nothing about the program has changed at all. He committed after Dekker, he was in line for playing time, same coaches, same system, etc. For some reason he wants to leave after only one year in the program. Not to mention he did so right after signing day, leaving Wisconsin in a tough position because we don't have enough scholarship players to fill the roster right now.

You can't just say it's about what's best for the kid, and have that be the end all be all...it's about context.

You just said it wouldn't impact recruiting.
I said being trashed by the media wouldn't impact recruiting. Read my other posts in this thread. He would impact our recruiting against ISU and Virginia in the future.

Again, I'm more of a Bo fan than most on this board, so quit being so defensive. He isn't perfect and this could have been handled better. That's all.

Agreed if he restricted the ACC. If that's true, I do not support Bo in this matter.

You're kidding, right. Or you're delusional.

I gotta think this is the end of the line for Matt Thomas considering Wisconsin. He's already hinted that Wisconsin might not be up-tempo enough for him. Now, if he went there and decided it wasn't his school, he'd be banned from transferring to another school that might be better. And since he's also looking at Iowa State, he has to know that Bo would pull the same stunt on him.

As for Iowa State on the list, it's a crappy thing to do. Jared is from Iowa, and his uncle played on the Iowa State basketball team in the 1970s. His family already has a history at the school. What if North Carolina had stopped Adam Boone from coming back here? At least let the kid go home, instead of being a pompous jerk.

This pretty much confirmed what we all know about Bo. He's a total jerk, and is more concerned about the image of the Badger program than he is about his players.

Not joking, and I don't think I'm delusional, but aren't mentally ill people supposed to think they are completely normal?

I gotta think this is the end of the line for Matt Thomas considering Wisconsin. He's already hinted that Wisconsin might not be up-tempo enough for him. Now, if he went there and decided it wasn't his school, he'd be banned from transferring to another school that might be better.
Hahaha, what? We might not get Thomas, but it certainly will not be due to transfer restrictions. I could definitely see him at Virginia or ISU. In fact, Thomas is a big reason why ISU is on Jared's restriction list. There are also reports out that ISU has been tampering with transfer processes, contacting players before they were given permission, which is also a factor I'm sure. Jared has plenty of transfer options out there. You act like he's restricted to all but mid-majors.

As for Iowa State on the list, it's a crappy thing to do. Jared is from Iowa, and his uncle played on the Iowa State basketball team in the 1970s. His family already has a history at the school. What if North Carolina had stopped Adam Boone from coming back here? At least let the kid go home, instead of being a pompous jerk.

This pretty much confirmed what we all know about Bo. He's a total jerk, and is more concerned about the image of the Badger program than he is about his players.

Wow. You act like most transfers out there are free to go wherever they want. Transfer restrictions are very normal.

I gotta think this is the end of the line for Matt Thomas considering Wisconsin. He's already hinted that Wisconsin might not be up-tempo enough for him. Now, if he went there and decided it wasn't his school, he'd be banned from transferring to another school that might be better. And since he's also looking at Iowa State, he has to know that Bo would pull the same stunt on him.

+++

Lets hope Washington and Vaughn are also taking notice.

Not factual (although, I agree that Uthoff's situation is different).

Signed scholarship papers. My bad. I guess my point is he never actually enrolled at Iowa, never used up a scholarship, never was a student, etc. He didn't ever transfer, he was simply released from his NOLI signature to Iowa before enrolling.

Bo must really be insecure with his team. All this fuss over 1 player. I agree, let him "go home" if that is what he wants. Is he that worried or insecure with his recruiting? All potential recruits can very easily see his style of play and how he takes the air out of the ball. Normally he does just fine with the recruiting. Although, i do see cracks developing in his foundation.

Bo must really be insecure with his team. All this fuss over 1 player. I agree, let him "go home" if that is what he wants. Is he that worried or insecure with his recruiting? All potential recruits can very easily see his style of play and how he takes the air out of the ball. Normally he does just fine with the recruiting. Although, i do see cracks developing in his foundation.

Our two most recent commits are:

1) Sam Dekker (5* according to ESPN and Rivals)
2) Bronson Koenig (4* according to ESPN and Rivals, offers from Duke, UNC and Kansas)

What are these "cracks" in Bo's recruiting that you are seeing? His recruiting effort over the past year and a half has easily been at the highest level it ever has been during his time at UW. 2009-2011 were horrendous recruiting years for Bo. 2012 and 2013 have been great so far.

Our two most recent commits are:

1) Sam Dekker (5* according to ESPN and Rivals)
2) Bronson Koenig (4* according to ESPN and Rivals, offers from Duke, UNC and Kansas)

What are these "cracks" in Bo's recruiting that you are seeing? His recruiting effort over the past year and a half has easily been at the highest level it ever has been during his time at UW. 2009-2011 were horrendous recruiting years for Bo. 2012 and 2013 have been great so far.

Start with replacing JT, otherwise i see a roster full of role players that just got worse losing the only player that could create for himself and everyone on the team.

Bo must also see the "cracks" - see his recent actions.

His recruiting effort over the past year and a half has easily been at the highest level it ever has been during his time at UW.

You Badger fans apparently have short memories. I already corrected GVBadger's erroneous statement to this effect earlier in the thread.

Between October 2002 and January 2004 (~14 months), Ryan secured verbals from:

Brian Butch, 5-star, #9 player in the country
Greg Stiemsma, 4-star, #45 player in the country
Joe Krabbenhoft, 5-star, #23 player in the country

You all like to pretend that you're getting some heretofore unseen infusion of talent, when that simply is not true.

Top Bottom