UH OH!

if all this is going on with virginia after tubby this year..is this going to go on every year?? what happens when better schools come calling??if this is going to be the case every year, let him leave and get flip the minnesota man in here...i kinda get the feeling flip is a hybrid of john wooden and dean smith anyway

The AD would HAVE to know whether UVa asked to speak to him. He's under contract to The U. Anybody else must ask permission first.

What FOT is saying !

How many times does it have to said ? Tubby isn't going anywhere !

Honestly people. Let's get a grip here.

Which is no small problem.

Sure, but again, why are we getting worked up about it? Flip is about as much of a slam dunk as we could hope for coming off Tubby. Would it be a good hire? Who knows. But there is no one we could realistically hire other than Flip who could come in and match the "buzz" and star power of Tubby. If Tubby leaves keeping MN fans on the wagon is a serious concern. Flip would do that. He's also a good coach. I think that getting him would be a good hire based on how it would be judged before any games were played.

So yes, if we make what looks like a good hire right away I'd say it is that easy. Whether it pans out or not takes time and thats true no matter who we hire. What's important now is to find a good coach that will be a good fit and who keeps the train moving. If needed, Flip is that guy.

I'm still confident that Tubby will stay. And the fact is, even if he goes, he's left the job in a good enough place that I'm sure we could get a very good replacement. Of course, that wouldn't excuse the leaving. If he left, I'm pretty sure he'd be at or near the top of most hated sports figures for most Minnesota sports fans, including me. But, once again, I'm not all that worried.

What sort of timeline are we on here? When do people think we will absolutely know who our coach is?

Are we approaching some hard deadline in contract negotiations for coaches?
Or have the rumors simply peaked at this frenzied pace?
Why has the panic skyrocketed today in particular?

First off, let me say all this speculation about Coach Smith is completely surreal. I'm on the record as saying I don't think he'll leave, and have been saying so for some time. If anything, I think all this UVa speculation is just leverage to get things like a practice facility rolling ASAP.

That said, this thread is the one of several on multiple sites saying that everyone hopes Flip is the next Gopher head coach. I want to go on the record as saying I hope Flip IS NOT the next coach of the Gophers. Sure, he brings an NBA name to the table and Gopher legacy through his playing days, but what has Flip Saunders ever done that makes people think he can succeeding in the college game, where recruiting becomes almost as important as Xs and Os? I would much rather hire someone with an NCAA track record that didn't play basketball at Minnesota that Flip.

Why would a Division I AD share details like that with you?

We have mutual friends. My HS History teacher was his ND football teammate. My Purdue classmate in early 70's is Purdue AD.

He got me tickets to the Gopher (sky) box at B10 tourney.

Sure, but again, why are we getting worked up about it? Flip is about as much of a slam dunk as we could hope for coming off Tubby. Would it be a good hire? Who knows. But there is no one we could realistically hire other than Flip who could come in and match the "buzz" and star power of Tubby. If Tubby leaves keeping MN fans on the wagon is a serious concern. Flip would do that. He's also a good coach. I think that getting him would be a good hire based on how it would be judged before any games were played.

I think you seriously overrate Flip's star power. Outside of Minnesota and Michigan, how many recruits would actually know who Flip Saunders is?

So yes, if we make what looks like a good hire right away I'd say it is that easy. Whether it pans out or not takes time and thats true no matter who we hire. What's important now is to find a good coach that will be a good fit and who keeps the train moving. If needed, Flip is that guy.

Even Flip is a good coach, he's a good NBA coach. Do you really subscribe to the theory that a coach is a coach is a coach? The NBA and NCAA are two totally different animals. Look at Tim Floyd. He won at New Orleans, won at Iowa State, was an abject failure in Chicago (.280 winning %), and is now winning at USC. How would you explain that?

First off, let me say all this speculation about Coach Smith is completely surreal. I'm on the record as saying I don't think he'll leave, and have been saying so for some time. If anything, I think all this UVa speculation is just leverage to get things like a practice facility rolling ASAP.

That said, this thread is the one of several on multiple sites saying that everyone hopes Flip is the next Gopher head coach. I want to go on the record as saying I hope Flip IS NOT the next coach of the Gophers. Sure, he brings an NBA name to the table and Gopher legacy through his playing days, but what has Flip Saunders ever done that makes people think he can succeeding in the college game, where recruiting becomes almost as important as Xs and Os? I would much rather hire someone with an NCAA track record that didn't play basketball at Minnesota that Flip.

A) He's succeeded at every single stop he's made for the last 30 years.
B) 92-13 record as a college coach

FWIW, I'm climbing Tower 2 in Shoreview to get an eagle's eye of Holman Field. I'm almost at the top but typing on the Treo makes it a bit trickier.

Did I ever tell you guys how many hawks and eagles there are in Shoreview? And how possessive they seem to be about these towers?

But nothing is too good for my fellow GopherHolers and I'm dedicated to getting the news as it happens. (And if it happens, it happens.)

So, I'm near the top now and just have to put down the Treo and grab the binoculars. Yes, I see the corporate jet, there's a man and woman walking to it and

I second what parkinglotgopher said. Have never understood the fascination with Flip as the Gophers' head coach. He's a pro guy all the way. I have no doubt he would be the "most agreeable" hire to the Gopher fan base, but long-term I'd be very skeptical about Flip in terms of making the Gophers a consistent national player.

I would add a second thing. If Tubby leaves, DO NOT hire anyone on the current staff as the head coach no matter what the players say. I don't think anyone currently on staff is a long-term solution. Hiring Taylor, Jirsa or anyone else would be the easy thing to do but not the right thing to do.

We have mutual friends. My HS History teacher was his ND football teammate. My Purdue classmate in early 70's is Purdue AD.

He got me tickets to the Gopher (sky) box at B10 tourney.

Well I hope one day when I tell someone some inside information because we have mutual friends...they will run to the internet to tell the world immediately.

All fair points. But who says a hot mid-major coach or low buzz BCS conf coach (b/c I don't believe Tubby has done enough to get us another high-level BCS coach) will have what it takes to recruit at MN? Its all a crap shoot and I'm willing to roll the dice on a proven winner who has ties to MN and won't F us over for more money (again, not saying Tubby is...this is all what if).

Too funny!

I'm reminded of...

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!!!"
-- Arthur Carlson, WKRP in Cincinnati

FWIW, I'm climbing Tower 2 in Shoreview to get an eagle's eye of Holman Field. I'm almost at the top but typing on the Treo makes it a bit trickier.

Did I ever tell you guys how many hawks and eagles there are in Shoreview? And how possessive they seem to be about these towers?

But nothing is too good for my fellow GopherHolers and I'm dedicated to getting the news as it happens. (And if it happens, it happens.)

So, I'm near the top now and just have to put down the Treo and grab the binoculars. Yes, I see the corporate jet, there's a man and woman walking to it and

Snowman, I can always count on you to bring some levity to what's becoming a tense situation. Thank you.

I think you seriously overrate Flip's star power. Outside of Minnesota and Michigan, how many recruits would actually know who Flip Saunders is?

He was a pretty successful NBA coach...I don't think it would be too hard to get the word out.

Even Flip is a good coach, he's a good NBA coach. Do you really subscribe to the theory that a coach is a coach is a coach? The NBA and NCAA are two totally different animals. Look at Tim Floyd. He won at New Orleans, won at Iowa State, was an abject failure in Chicago (.280 winning %), and is now winning at USC. How would you explain that?

Um, I think you just made my point. Floyd is a pretty consistent winner. There are a multitude of reasons why someone can fail in a specific coaching stop. Until there is a pattern I'm not worried.

Yes Snowman, it could be said that your reporting is "above" all the rest, or "on a higher level" if you will.

my beef with all this is that no natinal media members have said a thing about this lately (a la espn, si) this whole thing is based on team discussion boards, half coming from crazy southerners...if something as big as a virginia booster or whatever arriving by jet was going on I would think someone from espn would jump on that and would be the one to break the news

Well I hope one day when I tell someone some inside information because we have mutual friends...they will run to the internet to tell the world immediately.

I don't have any opinion on the voracity of FOT's info. But I sincerely doubt anyone sharing this info expects it to stay quiet for long. This is THE STORY right now in Gopher sports circles. Now if FOT was asked to keep it quiet and is failing to do so that would be a diff story but we don't know what he is or is not being told.

You'll want my autograph, too. My dad was first cousin to Phog Allen's son-in-law. I remember to this day when we had dinner at the cousin's house and Phog pulled up his chair, looked me in the eye and said

....."Pass the potatoes, please."

It. Really. Did. Happen.

my beef with all this is that no natinal media members have said a thing about this lately (a la espn, si) this whole thing is based on team discussion boards, half coming from crazy southerners...if something as big as a virginia booster or whatever arriving by jet was going on I would think someone from espn would jump on that and would be the one to break the news

ESPN needs to see it in a blog first before they can steal the story and make it an "exclusive". Maybe if The Daily Gopher breaks it we'll see something on the 4 letters. :)

Count me out

I'm still confident that Tubby will stay. And the fact is, even if he goes, he's left the job in a good enough place that I'm sure we could get a very good replacement. Of course, that wouldn't excuse the leaving. If he left, I'm pretty sure he'd be at or near the top of most hated sports figures for most Minnesota sports fans, including me. But, once again, I'm not all that worried.

Count me out on that hate crap. If Tubby were to leave tonight I would still be thankfull he came and helped to resurect our program. He is a wonderful rep for our state and the U.

If he for whatever reason decided to go elsewhere I would never harbor ill will. I would wish him long life and success.

I will remain thankful.

And still today, Head Coach of the Golden Gophers, Tubby Smith :clap: :clap: :clap:

But that is just me, I guess.

I think I remember hearing that Tubby was coming to Minnesota on this exact board....

Top Bottom