Tubby will be fired this morning...

Agree on all counts. This move says loud and clear- we aren't happy with getting to the NCAAs 3 times in 6 years and we aren't happy with not not finishing over .500 in the BT. We have bigger goals and we are not afraid to pursue them.

I like it.

I like it, as long as the next move sings the same tune :)

This guy is not always the most reliable, is he? He could be reading this thread.

As Doogie said, he is close with both Norwood and Mike Ellis. He has believed that Tubby would be fired for awhile.

Buzz would be cool but he's unlikely. The guy is preparing for a Sweet Sixteen game with Miami not taking calls.

Chris Solari ‏@chrissolari Izzo on Tubby Smith being fired. Silent, twisting water bottle lid. "Tubby's a good friend of mine." He's choked up. "Hits me a lil harder."

And to think the Tubby hire was Maturi's claim to fame.

I just heard from a reliable source close to this situation that the reliable source close to the situation is Norwood Teague himself.

Amelia Rayno ‏@AmeliaRayno 10m

#Gophers team source said the coaching staff is meeting with administration this afternoon RE Smith's future.

Dan Barreiro ‏@DanBarreiroKFAN Names U intended to talk to include Shaka Smart, Jay Wright, Hoiberg

Buzz would be cool but he's unlikely. The guy is preparing for a Sweet Sixteen game with Miami not taking calls.

Yeah, as a Marquette fan with some insight into Buzz's situation, I don't think there is anyway he'd even consider coming here. He is supposedly on the short list at UCLA.

Amelia Rayno ‏@AmeliaRayno 28s

If Tubby Smith is already out as some are reporting, he doesn't know it yet, per team source. #Gophers

If true - and it still hasn't been confirmed - this is obviously the outcome of a season-long evaluation of the coaching staff by an AD staff that knows what they're looking at.

NCAA Hoops on RealGM ‏@NCAA_RealGM MT @mikerothstein: More Izzo: "I don't say this about many people but I love the Tubby Smith's of the world." Also: "It bothers me. A lot."

Dan Barreiro ‏@DanBarreiroKFAN Names U intended to talk to include Shaka Smart, Jay Wright, Hoiberg

Well they (mysterious background people) are doing a good job of getting people excited with these names being thrown around. Add Jay Wright to the list of "would be thrilled to get" coaches.

So who will the U lie to next? Until Minnesota decides to get out of the high school facility mindset all is lost. IMO, it will not be a dang bit of difference who Teague hires. Waste of time.

Three cheers for Norwood! We've got a boss in the AD seat.

Amelia Rayno ‏@AmeliaRayno 28s

If Tubby Smith is already out as some are reporting, he doesn't know it yet, per team source. #Gophers

And if this is true, shame on the U for allowing this to get into the media before confirmation with the people involved. Awful.

Hey. Where's Parski????

And I can't wait to find out what happens next! I thought Tubby would be out, but I thought he would "retire." Being fired is ballsy. Lets go!

NCAA Hoops on RealGM ‏@NCAA_RealGM MT @mikerothstein: More Izzo: "I don't say this about many people but I love the Tubby Smith's of the world." Also: "It bothers me. A lot."
Well, if it really bothers him, he should have thrown the game in East Lansing and either stayed away from Tyus or pushed him to be a difference maker at home.

Gotta feel bad for the players right now with all the rumors and speculation. Even if they hated Tubby, a coaching change or rumors of one always brings questions. Especially for the incoming Freshman

Maybe he could appreciate the fact the team was in complete disarray and it looked like Tubby had completely lost them.

Teague knows what was expected when he came to Minnesota. Facility plan + hire (big name or up and commer) would ignite some passion behind the program like we saw when Tubby first showed up. We rode that passion until all the defections started and this year we saw Monson esque recruiting and fan commitment. It took a big surge in performance to get the fanbase excited again, but with no news this off season I would surmise that our attendance for next years games would have been abysmal.

Teague has to make this announcement a splash (that being the new hire, not the firing of Tubby) and turn some positive buzz on this as I know for a fact that ESPN/CBS/B1G Coaches will make this seem like an act of pinning the blame on the wrong guy.

And if this is true, shame on the U for allowing this to get into the media before confirmation with the people involved. Awful.

Agreed...unfortunately this is the way it is working lately. To many people to willing to leak info before everything tended to appropriately.

Top Bottom