Transition should be complete - Tanner to Athan

In addition, you had to see the game to understand his completing 9 of 22 is good given he threw the ball away three times to avoid lost yardage via sack.

Compare that to Morgan's first half at Nebraska. He completed six of eight for 38 yards. But he was sacked four times for 26 yards lost. That's a net of 12 yards gained in the passing game.
I was talking of future. I think his ceiling is better than Morgan, but some think he’s the savior at this point. I think he should play the rest of the season.

I was talking of future. I think his ceiling is better than Morgan, but some think he’s the savior at this point. I think he should play the rest of the season.

Upcoming schedule:

Northwestern (1-8)
Iowa (5-4)
Wisconsin (5-4)

--------

TOTAL OPPONENT W-L: 11-16

Wins and losses are the stats that matter, in the end.

If you make the all deep throws, but lose the game, then I hope you really, really enjoy those deep throws.

In the end, it isn't about height, weight, foot speed... this isn't a Punt, Pass and Kick competition.

Win the game. I don't care how. I think we can all agree that a game against 1-8 Northwestern is a highly winnable game.
If you have no interest in what goes into the game, how something influences something else, then just check the score the next day.

Upcoming schedule:

Northwestern (1-8)
Iowa (5-4)
Wisconsin (5-4)

--------

TOTAL OPPONENT W-L: 11-16
So by citing combined 11-16 record you believe we are playing three teams each with 3.667 wins and 5.33 losses. Brilliant. All the same.

Football seems too complicated for you. Just check the scores the next day.

So by citing combined 11-16 record you believe we are playing three teams each with 3.667 wins and 5.33 losses. Brilliant. All the same.

Football seems too complicated for you. Just check the scores the next day.

Well, we don't have to go by won-lost records. There's always the eye test...

Would you say Northwestern, Iowa and Wisconsin are as good as usual this season? I could look at previous season records, but you don't like that as a measure.

Last edited:

If you have no interest in what goes into the game, how something influences something else, then just check the score the next day.

I am very interested in what goes on in a game. I love Fleck's power running attack and the RPO. But I love them better when they are run effectively, because I want to win the game.

If a player is supposed to be clearly superior to another player, then making the switch should obviously help the team's chances of winning. Athan Kaliakmanis has a strong arm and the ability to run. This should improve the Gopher's offensive efficiency tremendously. We all saw what happened last week when he came in against Nebraska.

If Athan is as good as we think he is, he'll do great. Northwestern is 1-8. Iowa is 5-4. Wisconsin is 5-4. It's a great opportunity.

Last edited:

If Athan is as good as we think he is, he'll do great. Northwestern is 1-8. Iowa is 5-4. Wisconsin is 5-4. It's a great opportunity.
I think the thing you're leaving out when throwing out these records is that fact that Iowa has a really strong defense. The kind of defense that could cause a lot of problems for an inexperienced QB and their best chance for beating you is if you turn it over and give their offense short fields to work with.

Athan should be fine against Northwestern and Wisconsin's defense is good but a clear step down from where they have been in recent years. Iowa's defense is the one that would concern me though because ball security will be extremely important in that game.

And Iowa's offense is, finally, gaining steam.

Crazy that after the year they've had, that they're in a position to win the West with a sweep and if Purdue and Illinois do their parts.

If AK comes out flat I expect a Tanner miracle healing will occur

I think the thing you're leaving out when throwing out these records is that fact that Iowa has a really strong defense. The kind of defense that could cause a lot of problems for an inexperienced QB and their best chance for beating you is if you turn it over and give their offense short fields to work with.

Athan should be fine against Northwestern and Wisconsin's defense is good but a clear step down from where they have been in recent years. Iowa's defense is the one that would concern me though because ball security will be extremely important in that game.
So you’re saying, don’t play him against Iowa because it might be a tough game? Ridiculous.

I think the thing you're leaving out when throwing out these records is that fact that Iowa has a really strong defense. The kind of defense that could cause a lot of problems for an inexperienced QB...
I actually think Iowa's defense presents a better case for AK8 to start. Iowa's defense won't let Tanner Morgan cross midfield this year. They would have no problem stopping the obvious runs and Tanner on 3rd and long. A new scrambling QB without much tape on him, who can throw it deep presents far more of a threat. Sure, he may toss a pick that Tanner would have taken a sack on, but when there's no chance of TM2 beating Iowa, you have to go with AK8.

So you’re saying, don’t play him against Iowa because it might be a tough game? Ridiculous.
Just pointing out that he is still a freshman and may be prone to making freshman mistakes, the kind of mistakes that Iowa makes a living off of on defense.

I'm all for AK being the guy going forward if the coaches feel he is ready. But if Morgan is healthy this is not as cut and dried as some want to make it out to be.

And Iowa's offense is, finally, gaining steam.

Crazy that after the year they've had, that they're in a position to win the West with a sweep and if Purdue and Illinois do their parts.
Iowa had a good offensive day by their standards against Purdue but they also had just 15 first downs and punted the ball 8 times. 1 TD came on a 75 yard run, another came on a short field after an INT.

I actually think Iowa's defense presents a better case for AK8 to start. Iowa's defense won't let Tanner Morgan cross midfield this year. They would have no problem stopping the obvious runs and Tanner on 3rd and long. A new scrambling QB without much tape on him, who can throw it deep presents far more of a threat. Sure, he may toss a pick that Tanner would have taken a sack on, but when there's no chance of TM2 beating Iowa, you have to go with AK8.
His ability to extend plays and run some could definitely help. He would just need to avoid the risky throw that can lead to an interception. Again, I have no issue with AK being the guy moving forward if that is how it ends up playing out.

What we saw against Nebraska was eye opening in the way the offense did a complete 180 in the second half and started moving the football.

Morgan has never beaten Iowa, even with great receivers in 2019. If I recall correctly, they were one of the first to successfully employ the tactics every defense now employs when playing MN (shoot the gaps hard with numbers on D to both stop the run and get pressure up the middle on Morgan and get physical with receivers). It is what it is.

It could be time to try something different on offense with a talented young QB.

Athan played at Penn St and put up 18 on debut on front of 109k. Doubt playing at home against Iowa with even more pt under his belt is all that worrisome.

I might agree with you if he didn’t fire Robb Smith and Mike Sanford. He had their backs in the press conference and gave the “it’s on me” line while they were still on staff and underperforming, but he still made the change in both cases.

Benching Tanner ≠ firing a coordinator, but it isn’t far off.
Those two coordinators were so bad, and it was so obvious that I think there is a strong argument he should have made those moves sooner. Plenty of people reached the same conclusion Fleck did (that Smith and Sanford had to go) much sooner than he did. If anything, I think the coordinator firings showed that Fleck is going to wait until the onfield evidence is so strong there is no reasonable argument for not making the switch.

I am very interested in what goes on in a game. I love Fleck's power running attack and the RPO. But I love them better when they are run effectively, because I want to win the game.

If a player is supposed to be clearly superior to another player, then making the switch should obviously help the team's chances of winning. Athan Kaliakmanis has a strong arm and the ability to run. This should improve the Gopher's offensive efficiency tremendously. We all saw what happened last week when he came in against Nebraska.

You're such a transparent fraud. Literally a week ago you ridiculed anyone suggesting Kaliakmanis get a shot. Dozens of posts. Maybe hundreds. You posted probably 25 times laughing at LENIII's column and anyone who might agree.

Morgan has never beaten Iowa, even with great receivers in 2019. If I recall correctly, they were one of the first to successfully employ the tactics every defense now employs when playing MN (shoot the gaps hard with numbers on D to both stop the run and get pressure up the middle on Morgan and get physical with receivers). It is what it is.

It could be time to try something different on offense with a talented young QB.
Would love to see more designed QB runs too if AK is the QB.

I have a slight issue with that opening line. The Gophers have never beaten Iowa with Morgan as the QB but that doesn't mean Morgan was the reason we lost all the matchups.

TJ had a key drop near the goal line that killed a drive in 2019 and in 2021 there were a couple massive defensive breakdowns that led to 2 Iowa TDs in a very winnable game.

QB gets too much credit and too much blame for how games turnout. Most important position on the field but it is still a team game.

Well, we don't have to go by won-lost records. There's always the eye test...

Would you say Northwestern, Iowa and Wisconsin are as good as usual this season? I could look at previous season records, but you don't like that as a measure.
Previous and current season records do not mean as much as how a team is playing when you play them. Regardless of record, Iowa is playing better each week. That is also true of Wisconsin but not to the same degree.

Athan played at Penn St and put up 18 on debut on front of 109k. Doubt playing at home against Iowa with even more pt under his belt is all that worrisome.
Excellent point and should be obvious. As to worrying about freshman mistakes, Morgan is still making them too under heavy heat.

My eye test over the last few weeks says the Gophers win one of those games. I hope I’m wrong.

But Iowas defense should be worrisome, some of those passes vs Neb will not end well vs Iowa.

Last edited:

But Iowas defense should be worrisome, some of those passes vs Neb will not end well vs Iowa.
They will disect all his throws to death, so he will be better prepared and he'll have another game under his belt. No doubt it will be a tough defense.

Iowa also had some absolutely stud DL back in 2018 and 2019 that just embarrassed our OL, at times.

Iowa had a good offensive day by their standards against Purdue but they also had just 15 first downs and punted the ball 8 times. 1 TD came on a 75 yard run, another came on a short field after an INT.
Interesting to look at the drive chart: https://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay/_/gameId/401405130

First five drives of the game (both teams) were punts. Yikes

Iowa overall drives First Half:
Punt - 6 plays
Punt - 5 plays
TD - 9 plays, 91 yards
TD - 3 plays, 51 yards
FG - 10 plays, 77 yards
Punt - 3 and out

2nd Half:
TD - 2 plays, 75 yards
Punt - 3 and out
Punt - 3 and out
Punt - 5 plays
Punt - 3 and out
(off Purdue TOD at their own 28) - 4 plays, 2 yards, then missed the FG attempt
Punt - 4 plays

Also ... I think the weather was awful around the great lakes last Sat.

Takes a beating on offenses, if you can't pass the ball due to wind, then everyone in the stadium knows it's a run and you're running into 8/9man box.

You're such a transparent fraud. Literally a week ago you ridiculed anyone suggesting Kaliakmanis get a shot. Dozens of posts. Maybe hundreds. You posted probably 25 times laughing at LENIII's column and anyone who might agree.
Yeah, at least JustTheFacts was adult enough to admit that he's changed his mind. Ol' murray here can't do that. His posts have been pathetic.

Top Bottom