Transition should be complete - Tanner to Athan

my gut says that Fleck will never "bench" Morgan - or any other starter - based solely for reasons of performance.

once you're a starter, you don't lose that status until you are physically unable to perform, or ruled out by the medical staff.

that holds true for Morgan, MBS, Carroll, or any starter who does not seem to be passing "the eye test."

for Fleck, there is no "eye test." Starters start unless they are ruled out by injury.

ergo: if Morgan is cleared by the medical staff, he will start against Northwestern.
I might agree with you if he didn’t fire Robb Smith and Mike Sanford. He had their backs in the press conference and gave the “it’s on me” line while they were still on staff and underperforming, but he still made the change in both cases.

Benching Tanner ≠ firing a coordinator, but it isn’t far off.

I have been pretty vocal about wanting AK to take over at QB, but I think arguing that Morgan hasn't had an impressive career is silly. I get it, he's not perfect and struggled at times (I also think playcalling (run-run-pass) didn't do him any favors, but the dude has been a captain on the best run of Gopher football in my lifetime.
Yes, both can be true. It miffs me that some take it as a dig against Morgan.

Tanner knows the offense really well and is a seasoned semi-pro. But, for reasons we can argue about, KC and PJ call a more constrained (and therefore easier to defense) offense when Tanner at the helm. AK is a more credible threat to run; he seems quite comfortable to roll out and throw a dart on then run, which helps against a huge pass rush; the coaches seem more likely to have him throw downfield, too. It is tougher for a defense to defend AK, because we use more of the field with him than with Tanner.

It won’t be all roses. AK will make some mistakes going forward that are from inexperience, mistakes that Tanner probably wouldn't make. It will be a long time before AK has the Vulcan Mind Meld with PJ that Tanner has. And, once teams like IA and WI have a chance to study and gameplan against AK, he might not seem such an upgrade over Tanner. But at this point AK is the future. Give him a couple of trophy games under his belt before we open 2023 post-Mo.
Post-Mo football will be interesting. Should be a major topic for discussion during the off season.

Fleck is definitely not going to be swayed by public opinion. And he's not going to let his star running back make crucial game decisions, like whether to punt or go for it on fourth down.
Probably incorrect in remembering, but last year against Bowling Green, Gophers were facing a a 4th down, think it was in the first half. And, correct me if I am wrong, Morgan was adamant about going for it and it appeared as if it swayed Fleck's decision. Swear, that's how I recall it and tried to find a little video of the interaction after 3rd down and before the failed attempt to convert. It was the first thing I thought of when Mo was passionate about going for it yesterday.

Post-Mo football will be interesting. Should be a major topic for discussion during the off season.
Mo is so damn good that he has become the crutch we can always rely upon to support our offense, when things aren’t going well elsewhere. Problem with a skill position great crutch--at least one that you fall back on constantly--is that you don't develop the other skill position players in your offense in an orderly, continuous fashion. The other position players (perhaps even the QB) fall behind in game-conditions development. Mo is a once in a decade RB. Maybe we'll get lucky and have a new Mo on-board in fall 2023, but it is more likely that we play 2023 without a running back who combines Mo's vision, strength, durability and desire, a running back who can single-handedly take control of a game. Mo is having a great season on what appears to be a gamey ankle. He put up well over 100 yards against Nebraska without any run over 11 yards. He is one of the top backs in the country in Yards After Contact. He's a different kind of cat. Next year will be a test of whether PJ and his OC can develop a more balanced offensive attack. No mo Mo to fall back on or to game plan around.

Last edited:

Mo is so damn good that he has become the crutch we can always rely upon to support our offense, when things weren't going well elsewhere. Problem with a skill position great crutch--at least one that you fall back on constantly--is that you don't develop the other skill position players in your offense in an orderly, continuous fashion. The other position players (perhaps even the QB) fall behind in game-conditions development. Mo is a once in a decade RB. Maybe we'll get lucky and have a new Mo on-board in fall 2023, but it is more likely that we play 2023 without a running back who combines Mo's vision, strength, durability and desire, a running back who can single-handedly take control of a game. Mo is having a great season on what appears to be a gamey ankle. He put up well over 100 yards against Nebraska without any run over 11 yards. He is one of the top backs in the country in Yards After Contact. He's a different kind of cat. Next year will be a test of whether PJ and his OC can develop a more balanced offensive attack. No mo Mo to fall back on or to game plan around.
Rarely has negative yards.

That all comes when he is the starter based on merit, whenever that occurs.
Based on his 6 quarters, the merit has occurred. Unless, of course, I missed something.

They already know. Players are going to have bad games every year, even ones with 2,3,4 years of reps. And I’m not arguing that more reps are a bad thing, I’m arguing that the mentality of starting AK 'to get more reps for next year' is stupid, and no one on the coaching staff or the team has that mentality.

We're 6-3 with the possibility of finishing with 9 wins and still going to Indy. The only thing the team cares about right now is winning next week. The QB who gives them the best chance to win that game, should start. After yesterday's game, I don't know how that QB is not AK. That's because of how he's performed on the field so far this year compared to Morgan, and has nothing to do with the fact that Tanner has had 4 more years of reps compared to AK.
the getting reps for next year is in addition to playing the better qb, sir!

What am I missing here?

Murray - going back to the Annexstad-Morgan situation:

2018: Annexstad was named the starter coming out of Fall camp and held that position until he was injured. Morgan replaced him, and started the rest of the games. according to the stats I could find, Morgan started the last 6 games of the season.

as I recall it, going into the 2019 season, Fleck said there would be an "open competition" at QB.

Morgan was named the starter and remained in that role all season because he stayed healthy.

now, only Fleck and the offensive coaches really know how "open" that competition was. but, if we take them at their word, Morgan beat out Annexstad for the starting job. So that would be a case of Fleck starting "the best" player.

Murray - going back to the Annexstad-Morgan situation:

2018: Annexstad was named the starter coming out of Fall camp and held that position until he was injured. Morgan replaced him, and started the rest of the games. according to the stats I could find, Morgan started the last 6 games of the season.

as I recall it, going into the 2019 season, Fleck said there would be an "open competition" at QB.

Morgan was named the starter and remained in that role all season because he stayed healthy.

now, only Fleck and the offensive coaches really know how "open" that competition was. but, if we take them at their word, Morgan beat out Annexstad for the starting job. So that would be a case of Fleck starting "the best" player.
Towards the end of fall camp 2019 Annexstad got hurt again. Morgan was then named starter.

I think we have seen the last of the bald young man starting!

If so, thank you Tanner for all you’ve done for Gopher football.

The winds of change are blowing. We should all accept The Greek as our new QB. ☝️

Athan gives us something that Tanner can't at this point in his career. Some mobility and hope. People still need to temper their thoughts a bit as Athan is a bit of a slinger and that can get you in trouble. He's mobile, but not anything special with his feet. Teams will get tape on him and let's see what he does against a good defense.

I'm glad he's getting snaps, it will make him better and it gives the coaches a start on the off-season. He has more potential than Tanner, but will it all be realized.

Athan gives us something that Tanner can't at this point in his career. Some mobility and hope. People still need to temper their thoughts a bit as Athan is a bit of a slinger and that can get you in trouble. He's mobile, but not anything special with his feet. Teams will get tape on him and let's see what he does against a good defense.

I'm glad he's getting snaps, it will make him better and it gives the coaches a start on the off-season. He has more potential than Tanner, but will it all be realized.
I was just about to post almost the identical post to yours.
Athan (at least at this point) is more boom or bust. He will probably throw for a lower completion percentage and have more interceptions. But his arm his stronger and he can run. That may open up some things for our offense. Considering how poor our O-line is and how long our receivers take to get open (if ever), he's probably a better option. We may just have to live with 1 or 2 interceptions.

Downfield completions put you at risk of more interceptions.

It’s a love-hate thing

Was Penn St a good defense?

Was Penn St a good defense?
Middle of the B1G this year and this was the stat line. It was the first time anyone saw him. He will get better and so with the scouting of him.

1667860890236.png

Middle of the B1G this year and this was the stat line. It was the first time anyone saw him. He will get better and so with the scouting of him.

View attachment 21651
Agree. Have the Gophers ever been unprepared for a non starting quarter back given the starting qb being replaced for injuries. (rhetorical question)

View attachment 21651
Your stat line omits 47 yards rushing. It omits, despite heavy pressure, one sack for a loss of one yard. It omits he completed the first two deep balls in a month.

View attachment 21651
In addition, you had to see the game to understand his completing 9 of 22 is good given he threw the ball away three times to avoid lost yardage via sack.

Compare that to Morgan's first half at Nebraska. He completed six of eight for 38 yards. But he was sacked four times for 26 yards lost. That's a net of 12 yards gained in the passing game.

Your stat line omits 47 yards rushing. It omits, despite heavy pressure, one sack for a loss of one yard. It omits he completed the first two deep balls in a month.

Wins and losses are the stats that matter, in the end.

If you make the all deep throws, but lose the game, then I hope you really, really enjoy those deep throws.

In the end, it isn't about height, weight, foot speed... this isn't a Punt, Pass and Kick competition.

Win the game. I don't care how. I think we can all agree that a game against 1-8 Northwestern is a highly winnable game.

Top Bottom