Transition should be complete - Tanner to Athan

Good recall! I don't think ZA never starting again after that replacement was a function of a long-term injury.

Well, I've been told that Fleck is stubborn and pig-headed, so I'm assuming that it was indeed because of the injury that Annexstad never started again.

I have been pretty vocal about wanting AK to take over at QB, but I think arguing that Morgan hasn't had an impressive career is silly. I get it, he's not perfect and struggled at times (I also think playcalling (run-run-pass) didn't do him any favors, but the dude has been a captain on the best run of Gopher football in my lifetime.

Well, I've been told that Fleck is stubborn and pig-headed, so I'm assuming that it was indeed because of the injury that Annexstad never started again.
He is but that's a WAY better trait than being fickle. In fact, I might argue being stubborn is a prerequisite to being a good college football coach.

He is but that's a WAY better trait than being fickle. In fact, I might argue being stubborn is a prerequisite to being a good college football coach.

Fleck is definitely not going to be swayed by public opinion. And he's not going to let his star running back make crucial game decisions, like whether to punt or go for it on fourth down.

Getting the reps lets the staff if he is indeed the qb of the future.

The more he plays, the more they know.

He is probably going to have a crap game somewhere as he is a freshman. How does he handle it? How well does he come back the following week, etc.
That all comes when he is the starter based on merit, whenever that occurs.

Fleck is definitely not going to be swayed by public opinion. And he's not going to let his star running back make crucial game decisions, like whether to punt or go for it on fourth down.
Yep, I think he's stubborn but I also think that trait has probably helped him more than it has hurt him as a coach.

Yep, I think he's stubborn but I also think that trait has probably helped him more than it has hurt him as a coach.

At the end of the day, the head coach is the one who has to face the music. Fleck means it when he constantly says, "It's on me".

Getting the reps lets the staff if he is indeed the qb of the future.

The more he plays, the more they know.

He is probably going to have a crap game somewhere as he is a freshman. How does he handle it? How well does he come back the following week, etc.

They already know. Players are going to have bad games every year, even ones with 2,3,4 years of reps. And I’m not arguing that more reps are a bad thing, I’m arguing that the mentality of starting AK 'to get more reps for next year' is stupid, and no one on the coaching staff or the team has that mentality.

We're 6-3 with the possibility of finishing with 9 wins and still going to Indy. The only thing the team cares about right now is winning next week. The QB who gives them the best chance to win that game, should start. After yesterday's game, I don't know how that QB is not AK. That's because of how he's performed on the field so far this year compared to Morgan, and has nothing to do with the fact that Tanner has had 4 more years of reps compared to AK.

They already know. Players are going to have bad games every year, even ones with 2,3,4 years of reps. And I’m not arguing that more reps are a bad thing, I’m arguing that the mentality of starting AK 'to get more reps for next year' is stupid, and no one on the coaching staff or the team has that mentality.

We're 6-3 with the possibility of finishing with 9 wins and still going to Indy. The only thing the team cares about right now is winning next week. The QB who gives them the best chance to win that game, should start. After yesterday's game, I don't know how that QB is not AK. That's because of how he's performed on the field so far this year compared to Morgan, and has nothing to do with the fact that Tanner has had 4 more years of reps compared to AK.

I agree with you that Kaliakmanis should start against Northwestern. He brought a real spark to the entire team against Nebraska.

I also agree that we still have a lot to play for.

At the end of the day, the head coach is the one who has to face the music. Fleck means it when he constantly says, "It's on me".
Of course it's on him, that really isn't a revelation and it doesn't really mean he is above criticism. We know it's on you that's why we are disagreeing with you.

We can each have our own opinion about whether his record is poor, average or better than that, but in the end the record is made up of numbers, and I would love to see Kaliakmanis surpass those numbers.
I think his win loss record is good. In 2019 he was awesome. Outside of that I think it’s tough to argue he’s been a good QB. If AK has a season as good as Morgan’s 2019 year I’d be surprised.

Of course it's on him, that really isn't a revelation and it doesn't really mean he is above criticism. We know it's on you that's why we are disagreeing with you.

It doesn't have to be a revelation to be true. It's not his job to come up with something new every time he's asked a question.

I'm not aware that Fleck or anyone else has claimed to be above criticism.

It doesn't have to be a revelation to be true. It's not his job to come up with something new every time he's asked a question.

I'm not aware that Fleck or anyone else has claimed to be above criticism.
Yeah, so it's a meaningless statement. We know it's on him and so what?

As far as being above criticism, I don't think Fleck thinks he is. I think there are Gopher fans who go insane if anyone disagrees with Fleck or critiques anything.

Yeah, so it's a meaningless statement. We know it's on him and so what?

As far as being above criticism, I don't think Fleck thinks he is. I think there are Gopher fans who go insane if anyone disagrees with Fleck or critiques anything.

By "go insane" over criticism of Fleck, do you mean "dare to disagree"?

Agree with all of those but where is the argument?
Morgan's limitations in these areas limited what they were willing to play call, as well as how often. Makes sense. Differentiators that make Athan much more dynamic at QB in comparison.

I think his win loss record is good. In 2019 he was awesome. Outside of that I think it’s tough to argue he’s been a good QB. If AK has a season as good as Morgan’s 2019 year I’d be surprised.
I hope Athan has as good a career as Tanner has had.

Will Dad bench his son
Time will tell.
I agree with this. PJ sees Tanner as the absolute epitome in what he wants as a football player AND person. Obviously this is my take on their relationship but I do see their relationship as nearly a father son one and certainly since TM's dad unfortunately passed last year.

This will be the most difficult decision for PJ to make and frankly I'm not sold on him starting Athan.

I agree with this. PJ sees Tanner as the absolute epitome in what he wants as a football player AND person. Obviously this is my take on their relationship but I do see their relationship as nearly a father son one and certainly since TM's dad unfortunately passed last year.

This will be the most difficult decision for PJ to make and frankly I'm not sold on him starting Athan.

Regarding the bolded: do you mean you're not sure Fleck will start Athan, or not sold on the idea that he should start Athan?

Yep. Nothing can replace/duplicate actual gametime and those reps. I don't get those who can't understand it. Same people argue the value of the month of practices for a bowl game.
Morgan's limitations in these areas limited what they were willing to play call, as well as how often. Makes sense. Differentiators that make Athan much more dynamic at QB in comparison.
Again, agree. Just saying there is no argument now.

He is called AK now? Well if he starts I will be looking forward to the game. If Morgan starts then I will be as bored as I was during the Rutgers game.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Said it earlier and will say again, THANKS Tanner, but it's the Greek Guy's turn. Morgan has given everything except his left one to this program and we are all so appreciative of it. Now the only time I want to see Tanner back on the field this season is the end of the Iowa game, where Fleck calls three timeouts in a row, then sends out Morgan to take the final knee.

Regarding the bolded: do you mean you're not sure Fleck will start Athan, or not sold on the idea that he should start Athan?
There isn't any doubt TO ME Athan should be the starter. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I'm not sold that FLECK will see things this way.

Clear enough now?

Top Bottom