TRANSFER RUMOR UPDATED: Joe Coleman reportedly asks for scholarship release

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

By the time those guys are juniors at the U, it will be 2017. The verdict on Pitino will have been rendered long ago.

so you are only going to give Pitino 3 years to figure it out? This upcoming season is hardly going to be of Pitinos doing.

Hate to say it, but odds are that it's Coleman. I can't foresee Ahanmisi transferring his senior year, even though he'll get VERY little playing time. Coleman's got a lot of upside if he could find a shooting stroke. And he would really thrive in a fast paced system like Pitino's.

John Galt says: "By the time those guys are juniors at the U, it will be 2017. The verdict on Pitino will have been rendered long ago."

In this day and age of instant gratification needed, let us not forget that Coach K at Duke almost got the heave ho from Duke after his third year there. Once he turned it around, well, the rest is history. So I disagree that the "verdict on Pitino will have been rendered long ago."

We need a program builder, not a "we'll give you a chance, then we will fire you." attitude.

Head coaching record
Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Army Cadets (NCAA Division I Independent) (1975–1980)
1975–76 Army 11–14
1976–77 Army 20–8
1977–78 Army 19–9 NIT 1st Round
1978–79 Army 14–11
1979–80 Army 9–17
Army: 73–59 (.553)
Duke Blue Devils (Atlantic Coast Conference) (1980–present)
1980–81 Duke 17–13 6–8 T–5th NIT Quarterfinals
1981–82 Duke 10–17 4–10 T–6th
1982–83 Duke 11–17 3–11 7th
1983–84 Duke 24–10 7–7 T–3rd NCAA Round of 32
1984–85 Duke 23–8 8–6 T–4th NCAA Round of 32
1985–86 Duke 37–3 12–2 1st NCAA Runner-up
1986–87 Duke 24–9 9–5 3rd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
1987–88 Duke 28–7 9–5 3rd NCAA Final Four
1988–89 Duke 28–8 9–5 T–2nd NCAA Final Four
1989–90 Duke 29–9 9–5 2nd NCAA Runner-up
1990–91 Duke 32–7 11–3 1st NCAA Champions
1991–92 Duke 34–2 14–2 1st NCAA Champions
1992–93 Duke 24–8 10–6 T–3rd NCAA Round of 32
1993–94 Duke 28–6 12–4 1st NCAA Runner-up
1994–95 Duke 9–3[n 1] 1–1[n 1] [n 1]
1995–96 Duke 18–13 8–8 T–4th NCAA Round of 64
1996–97 Duke 24–9 12–4 1st NCAA Round of 32
1997–98 Duke 32–4 15–1 1st NCAA Elite Eight
1998–99 Duke 37–2 16–0 1st NCAA Runner-up
1999–00 Duke 29–5 15–1 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2000–01 Duke 35–4 13–3 T–1st NCAA Champions
2001–02 Duke 31–4 13–3 2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2002–03 Duke 26–7 11–5 T–2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2003–04 Duke 31–6 13–3 1st NCAA Final Four
2004–05 Duke 27–6 11–5 3rd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2005–06 Duke 32–4 14–2 1st NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2006–07 Duke 22–11 8–8 6th NCAA Round of 64
2007–08 Duke 28–6 13–3 2nd NCAA Round of 32
2008–09 Duke 30–7 11–5 T–2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2009–10 Duke 35–5 13–3 T–1st NCAA Champions
2010–11 Duke 32–5 13–3 2nd NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2011–12 Duke 27–7 13–3 2nd NCAA Round of 64
2012–13 Duke 30–6 14–4 2nd NCAA Elite Eight
Duke: 884–238 (.788) 350–153 (.696)
Total: 957–297 (.763)

National champion Conference regular season champion Conference tournament champion
Conference regular season and conference tournament champion Conference division champion

Here's the official U of Mn press release:

Joe Coleman Granted Release from Gopher Hoops Program
University of Minnesota men’s basketball head coach Richard Pitino and the Golden Gopher basketball program today announced that guard Joe Coleman has asked for, and will be granted release from his scholarship.

“Joe Coleman has made the decision to leave the Golden Gopher basketball program. We wish him the very best in the future,” said Pitino. “We appreciate the contributions he has given the program the last two years.”

Coleman played in 72 career games in Maroon and Gold, including all 34 games last season. He contributed career-highs in multiple categories as a sophomore, including points (8.7 ppg), rebounds (3.6 rpg), assists (1.5 apg), steals (1.1 spg) and minutes played (26.3 mpg). He will leave the program with career averages of 7.2 points and 3.3 rebounds.

so you are only going to give Pitino 3 years to figure it out? This upcoming season is hardly going to be of Pitinos doing.

Pitino Year 1: 2013
Year 2: 2014
Year 3: 2015
Year 4: 2016
Year 5: 2017

You think it's a reach to say that we will have a pretty good idea as to what we have with Pitino by year 5? Daquean McNeil will have graduated by then.

Wow I'd have to say so far this new coach has been a disaster. Our top two recruits go elsewhere and one of our best 3 roster players transfers out. And we replace them with questionable low D-1 caliber players? What's next?

By the time those guys are juniors at the U, it will be 2017. The verdict on Pitino will have been rendered long ago.

This is a vast overstatement. Pitino is a long-term hire. That fact that anyone would judge him a failure or success based on the next couple of seasons needs to have their head and priorities in life examined.

Wow I'd have to say so far this new coach has been a disaster. Our top two recruits go elsewhere and one of our best 3 roster players transfers out. And we replace them with questionable low D-1 caliber players? What's next?

More bad takes and hyperbole by you. If you need instant gratification, you can find other Web sites for that.

At FIU just about everyone dipped out and Pitino gave them their first winning season in a decade. So far we have how many kids leaving??? Two and a couple recruits that Flubby inked. I hardly call that a disaster.

Coleman may be a great kid, but he wasn't a great basketball player here at the U. He was a step slow on defense, was a leader on the team in turnovers per minutes played and he couldn't hit a shot from outside 15 feet.

What is next? Well...call me crazy, but the last 5 years never gave us anything better than 6th in the B1G and we were near the bottom for a couple of those years. I'm not sure what dream you've had about the past, but it wasn't like we were at the pinnacle and have just fallen off. Give the coach a couple years and then tell us about the disaster. I gave Tubby three years before I tossed him the towel.

Sad to see Joe go. I liked him and his play.

good luck Sir!

Seriously? This is your take? Do you follow college sports? Kids come and go every year...especially when there is a coaching change.

This is a vast overstatement. Pitino is a long-term hire. That fact that anyone would judge him a failure or success based on the next couple of seasons needs to have their head and priorities in life examined.

That may be the hope and intent of Teague. However, in my opinion, the only way that happens is if he has somewhat mediocre seasons (similar to Tubby).

- If the Gophers are near the cellar, he's fired.
- If the Gophers jump up into the top 4-5 in the league, perhaps make a Sweet 16 - I'd say there's a good chance he'd leave for a bigger and better program.

You can't judge a coach by Year 5? Seriously? A basketball coach no less, where a few recruits make the difference? Jerry Kill will be judged by year 5, and he had a huge rebuilding project. Rich Pitino is taking over a team that had been ok.

Wow I'd have to say so far this new coach has been a disaster. Our top two recruits go elsewhere

Wow, this is like a crash course in terrible rhetoric. You understand that we only ever had 2 recruits right?

Could not agree more. I don't understand the thinking of some people on here saying we're better off without him, Pitino must not have wanted him etc. It's never good to lose a kid who started, and contributed on a decent Big Ten team as a sophomore. Joe made huge strides from his FR to SO year, and seemed to have the work ethic and skills (ESPN 100 recruit, #1 MN player in his class) to continue to develop.

I'm reserving judgement on Pitino at least until his first season is over, but I really don't like the way this spring has turned out. He gets the benefit of the doubt for now though.

Made huge strides. As a Freshman he could not dribble and shot a jumper. As a Sophmore he could not dribble and shott a jumper. Not good when you are a quard/small forward.

Made huge strides. As a Freshman he could not dribble and shoot a jumper. As a Sophmore he could not dribble and shoot a jumper. Not good when you are a quard/small forward.

His jumper is broke like my grammar.

Joe also made some of the most inexplicable brain dead turn overs on the team, which is saying something. I'm glad I at least won't have to endure those moments any more.

Made huge strides. As a Freshman he could not dribble and shoot a jumper. As a Sophmore he could not dribble and shoot a jumper. Not good when you are a quard/small forward.

His jumper is broke like my grammar.

He improved in literally every statistical category from is FR year to SO. Points, Rebounds, Steals, Blocks, Assists, etc. His field goal percentage was 48%, which was better than Andre, Austin, Mav, Welch, everyone on our team except Trevor. His shot is not as bad as people say it is, especially from mid-range, and his FG% reflects that.

Farewell, Joe. I really hope he ends up going somewhere and developing his game and turning into a complete player. I take Tubby's word that Joe was one of the better human beings he ever had the pleasure of coaching, and that does not surprise me.

I was looking forward to seeing what Coleman would do under the direction of a coach who emphasizes individual skills development, because he has uncommon strength and athleticism. But as his current skill set stood, he was simply not enough of a basketball player to contribute at a consistently high level. And he did not contribute at a consistently high level. You simply need guard skills to play guard or forward size to play forward, and he has neither. Like I said, I was excited to see how Joe would develop as a Gopher, and now I'm still eager to see how he progresses elsewhere.

At FIU just about everyone dipped out and Pitino gave them their first winning season in a decade. So far we have how many kids leaving??? Two and a couple recruits that Flubby inked. I hardly call that a disaster.

Coleman may be a great kid, but he wasn't a great basketball player here at the U. He was a step slow on defense, was a leader on the team in turnovers per minutes played and he couldn't hit a shot from outside 15 feet.

What is next? Well...call me crazy, but the last 5 years never gave us anything better than 6th in the B1G and we were near the bottom for a couple of those years. I'm not sure what dream you've had about the past, but it wasn't like we were at the pinnacle and have just fallen off. Give the coach a couple years and then tell us about the disaster. I gave Tubby three years before I tossed him the towel.

I applauded the decision to fire Tubby and, after initial hesitation, I supported the Pitino hire. However, I don't take a long term view of the Pitino hire because I don't expect him to be around for very long. I know that many others disagree with that position, but Pitino is a very ambitious guy and once he has success the big boys will come around. If you buy that position, every day is important and what I've seen so far doesn't wow me. Basically he is bringing FIU guys in and the third best player on the current team and a recruit good enough for MSU are going out. In addition I want to know if the guys coming in are decent enough students not to negatively impact the APR. Trevor graduated, Halverson graduated and, assuming that Coleman was in good standing, those are three solids going out. (I don't know about Williams Jr., Welch and Ingram.) I've seen two of the three new guys interviewed and I worry (perhaps needlessly) about academics. I never worried about academics with Tubby.

Coleman should have been strongly encouraged to stay.

I question Joes heart, had a tendency to loaf.

Wow, I thought he had some bad body language, but i never really saw him loaf. He was always out quick on the break and was by all accounts a gym rat.

It was obvious to me that Joe Coleman loved the game. He was great in the open floor, and with him gone we have now lost our top 4 dunkers from last year.....with apologies to Austin's tip slam.

I asked Renae Pulley today at the high performance academy if Pitino kinda pushed Joe out, and he said yes that was what he believed happend, but he was still waiting for Joe to contact him. Renae then went on to say he was disappointed that Joe was leaving the u and that this may look bad to other mn recruits.

It should be obvious that Pitino doesn't take long to put his fingerprints on a program. FIU had 5 guys leave within a week of him being hired.

Top Bottom