TRANSFER RUMOR UPDATED: Joe Coleman reportedly asks for scholarship release

When is this meeting taking place today? If we don't hear in the next couple of hours, he could be staying.

Agreed. Getting two FIU players and a JUCO while losing Coleman isn't a great way to start things off.

Regardless of your opinion on Coleman, I don't think Pitino deserves any criticism. This stuff happens when coaches change and there have been rumors about Coleman way before Pitino arrived.

It's not flashy, but we needed ball handlers. We finished last in the Big 10 in turnovers and I don't blame any coach for bringing in more ball handlers ASAP. The interesting player is McNeil. As far as Dre Mathieu and Malik Smith. . .well, I think of them more as neccesities. We needed a PG (Dre) and we have an open scholarship and Malik Smith comes off the books next year (it's all gravy with him). As far as McNeil. . .he's the interesting one. He wasn't a necessity, he's a 4 year guy and all of that. For me, he's the real judge of whether or not Pitino had a good offseason. I just can't blame him for Coleman, Ellis or our need for a PG.

Agreed. Getting two FIU players and a JUCO while losing Coleman isn't a great way to start things off.

Very soon, Richard will be like Tubby (kept saying that it worked in UK) saying that we did it in FIU, I am not sure why it is not working here. I am with you. Joe is better than all 3 of them. If the goal is to run, Joe is the guy. During the fast breaks, he was always one step ahead of everybody. Those who say this team is better without him need to learn something about basketball. Playing against MSU and UW is not like what these new kids are used to.

Go Gophers

Regardless of your opinion on Coleman, I don't think Pitino deserves any criticism. This stuff happens when coaches change and there have been rumors about Coleman way before Pitino arrived.

It's not flashy, but we needed ball handlers. We finished last in the Big 10 in turnovers and I don't blame any coach for bringing in more ball handlers ASAP. The interesting player is McNeil. As far as Dre Mathieu and Malik Smith. . .well, I think of them more as neccesities. We needed a PG (Dre) and we have an open scholarship and Malik Smith comes off the books next year (it's all gravy with him). As far as McNeil. . .he's the interesting one. He wasn't a necessity, he's a 4 year guy and all of that. For me, he's the real judge of whether or not Pitino had a good offseason. I just can't blame him for Coleman, Ellis or our need for a PG.

Agree wholeheartedly. How can anyone not be pleased or at least be indifferent with how Coach has come in and sparked the program with some excitement. And if you disagree with some of the movement, at the very least there is action and seems to be a cohesive plan in place. We are definitely going to take our lumps in the big 10 next year, in fact, I wouldn't be surprised with a bottom 3 finish... But that's exactly where we would have been projected with our old coach as well...

Pitino has a plan, and hes moving forward with that... If there is anything I respect its the ability to have conviction and to stick with it. Don't waver from your ideals even though they may not match with what you have. Take the lumps and move forward. And sell baby, sell!

Sucks losing the final Minnesota kid.

This point is getting old. For all we know their will be a Mn player on the roster next year.

I care about the kids that 'WANT' to be here and represent the University of Minnesota.

Again, most of the rumors weren't "unsubstantiated" as he's wanted out for a while. Some just chose to ignore the rumors, but they've been there for some time (not just this offseason) but its reached a boiling point.

Having watched Joe for 2 years and having watched Louisville play under Rick Pitino for years, I think the new system is perfectly suited for Joe's game(assuming most or all of Papa Pitino's system is brought to MN). One or both parties are missing the boat here.

This isn't the end of the world but the team is worse off the next year (withholding judgement on 2014-2015 to see what else is brought in) without Joe on the team.

Joe better be very careful in selecting a new program because his game only works in certain styles. A walk-it-up half court offense relying on ball movement certainly isn't one of them.

I agree wholeheartedly!!

Count me as bummed. I like Joe and hope the best for him where ever he plays but this move mystifies me. I would have thought he would fit into the Pitino method.

So we lose Joe and keep Oto? I just cannot see how this can be good.

:(

+1

If Coleman leaves who plays the 3 position the bulk of the time, Tubby had Otto playing there to give Coleman a break but is not a natural position for him and he sucked at it, not sure Buggs can guard a 3, based on the Purdue game last year I don't think Ellenson is ready, in the NC part of the schedule Austin Hollins will be fine but in the B1G I don't see it, Austin can give spot minutes at that position, I just don't think he will hold up as the big minutes starter.

If Coleman leaves who plays the 3 position the bulk of the time, Tubby had Otto playing there to give Coleman a break but is not a natural position for him and he sucked at it, not sure Buggs can guard a 3, based on the Purdue game last year I don't think Ellenson is ready, in the NC part of the schedule Austin Hollins will be fine but in the B1G I don't see it, Austin can give spot minutes at that position, I just don't think he will hold up as the big minutes starter.

Austin guarded the three all the time last year. I'm guessing they will play a ton of three guard lineups.

First off, whatever happens with the 2013 class is largely window dressing. The 2014 recruting class is what will make or break Pitino. I don't fault him for getting McNeil or Mathieu, both will serve a need and should provide improved ball handling. But if he made the decision to let Coleman go so he could bring in Malik Smith for one year, it's a bad move. Coleman got significantly better between his freshman and sophomore years, and he thrived when the team got up and down the floor (the game at Illinois comes to mind when he had 20+ points). I also take issue with him not attempting to make a move on Ellis, if that's what happened. The guy was obviously highly sought out and ended up on the best basketball program in the conference. So if it's true that he didn't even attempt to re-connect with him, that's on him.

The connection from Hopkins and Howard Pulley takes another big hit with this too. I've seen quite a few twitter interactions between Joe and the younger recruits in Pulley. It's just really too bad it didn't work out, but I think joe has been unhappy here for awhile.

This was how I saw it a week ago...

I think Joe and Austin will be primarily at SF. I'd say the depth looks more like

McNeil / Mathieu
Andre / Ahanmisi
Austin / Coleman / Ellenson
Oseniks / Buggs
Eliason / Walker

Now I'd say

Andre / McNeil / Mathieu
Smith / Ahanmisi
Austin / Ellenson
Oseniks / Buggs
Eliason / Walker

With two open scholarships, I'd assume one is for Buckles to slide in at PF. Hopefully the other is used on a bigger wing player.

First off, whatever happens with the 2013 class is largely window dressing. The 2014 recruting class is what will make or break Pitino. I don't fault him for getting McNeil or Mathieu, both will serve a need and should provide improved ball handling. But if he made the decision to let Coleman go so he could bring in Malik Smith for one year, it's a bad move. Coleman got significantly better between his freshman and sophomore years, and he thrived when the team got up and down the floor (the game at Illinois comes to mind when he had 20+ points). I also take issue with him not attempting to make a move on Ellis, if that's what happened. The guy was obviously highly sought out and ended up on the best basketball program in the conference. So if it's true that he didn't even attempt to re-connect with him, that's on him.

Just for clarity- are you are talking about the spring 2013 class being window dressing? If so, I mostly agree. The Fall 2013 class will be huge for Pitino's run at Minnesota. Right now it looks like he will have 5 schollys to offer. It's not necessary to get the Big 3 but it is necessary to get a really good recruiting class in with those 5 recruits.

This was how I saw it a week ago...

Now I'd say

Andre / McNeil / Mathieu
Smith / Ahanmisi
Austin / Ellenson
Oseniks / Buggs
Eliason / Walker

With two open scholarships, I'd assume one is for Buckles to slide in at PF. Hopefully the other is used on a bigger wing player.

Andre/Matheiu
Smith/Mcneil/Ahanmisi
Austin/Ellenson
Buggs/Osieniks
Eliason/ Walker

Andre/Matheiu
Smith/Mcneil/Ahanmisi
Austin/Ellenson
Buggs/Osieniks
Eliason/ Walker

It is very difficult to keep up with this team! That is an extremely weak front line. The 4 is super weak on paper (zero minutes played + can't hit a swimming pool from outside 3 feet). Eliason is promising, but needs to stay out of foul trouble. Up-tempo, pressure defense could be a challenge in that regard. I am expecting ZERO from Mo, until I see it.

We need 2 more front-court players. One of them better have a significant impact.

Just for clarity- are you are talking about the spring 2013 class being window dressing? If so, I mostly agree. The Fall 2013 class will be huge for Pitino's run at Minnesota. Right now it looks like he will have 5 schollys to offer. It's not necessary to get the Big 3 but it is necessary to get a really good recruiting class in with those 5 recruits.

With all the recruits Minnesota has supposedly offered, I'd be down right shocked if we didn't land a couple very good players.

Marcus tweet

Just heard that Joe Coleman has been officially released from his scholarship by the #Gophers today.

I agree with you if Pitino decided to not make a run at Ellis and if he decided to make a move on Joe. I just doubt Pitino would have strong armed Coleman out of the program. If he was going to do that, Coleman wouldn't have made any sense. We wouldn't be seeing Oto on our roster if Pitino was the type to strong arm someone out of the program.

But you're right, if Pitino orchestrated the Coleman for Smith swap and if he made a choice not to go after Ellis. . .I am pretty skeptical of those moves.

With coaching changes it's just hard to read too much into those kinds of things though. It's impossible to tell who was forced out, who saw it as an opportunity to leave, and who didn't like the new coach. It's all speculation and it happens during every coaching change.

What other schools would be on Coleman's radar? B1G?

My complete gut feel is ISU.

The U typically restricts all big 10 schools and teams on the schedule the next 2 years. Tubby did at least, not sure Pitinos philosophy there.

This whole thread started as speculation on who it was... I will say now that we know and it is almost 100% for sure Joe is gonna leave, I'm happy it wasn't Ellenson.

I'm not sure if its because he is an unknown at this point, but I just really like the way he floats around the court. In his limited minutes last year he moved around with such effortless motion i cannot say I can compare him to anyone of recent memory. Now he could very well be a carbon copy of Joe Coleman (not a bad thing at all) but I can also see him being a dynamite long athletic wing that can rebound as well because of his leaping ability alone.

Lets also point out that we for sure would have missed on his brother had Wally transferred too....

Here's to Wally flourishing with some extended pt and a coach who he can believe in....

And to Joe fitting in somewhere nicely and making us play the what if game like we've all done with Colton, devoe and cobbs.... (So this happened under tubby too? Odd, Does Parsley know this?)

The connection from Hopkins and Howard Pulley takes another big hit with this too. I've seen quite a few twitter interactions between Joe and the younger recruits in Pulley. It's just really too bad it didn't work out, but I think joe has been unhappy here for awhile.

Gold Vision, I think you are right. This team lacked fight last year and at times it was tough to tell how much fun Joe was having. I wish him the best, and I am excited about the future.

Is it possible that Joe will follow Tubby to TX TECH?

A lot of the rumors were that they didn't have the best relationship (supposed Coleman transfer rumors earlier in his career).

Top Bottom