TRANSFER RUMOR UPDATED: Joe Coleman reportedly asks for scholarship release

Scoop Central

"• In spite of the public stance, Gophers sources insist they're ok with Coleman's decision to leave, and that he doesn't fit into Pitino's three-guard system and lacks the toughness and shooting touch that Pitino badly covets."

The shooting I can agree with, but not sure on the toughness. Joe was fearless.

Meh, maybe going to the rim, but he was mentally soft. He wasn't a leader and never stepped up when we needed that 2nd or 3rd option to help us get through a tough stretch. He was a guy who played his best when the team was rolling and was nonexistant when we stuggled. We need more guys who won't allow our losses and tough stretches to snowball. Tubby had way too many guys that would allow that to happen, which is why we would finish horribly every year.

Meh, maybe going to the rim, but he was mentally soft. He wasn't a leader and never stepped up when we needed that 2nd or 3rd option to help us get through a tough stretch. He was a guy who played his best when the team was rolling and was nonexistant when we stuggled. We need more guys who won't allow our losses and tough stretches to snowball. Tubby had way too many guys that would allow that to happen, which is why we would finish horribly every year.

agree 100%

Physically fearless. Was he mentally tough? That might be the toughness issue. I don't know.

If many of the rumors were true, I question a bit of Joe Coleman's mental toughness. There were always rumors that he wasn't happy and that he would be really upset about not starting. Well, if any of that is part of the reason he chose to go elsewhere, I do question his toughness. He'd rather sit out an entire year than be a 6th man coming off the bench (all while getting plenty of PT)?

Again, I have no idea how much of those rumors were true. But if they were, then I question his mental toughness.

Was often very passive on defense and was quite often 'standing around on offense'. Can blame Tubby for some of that.

Scoop Central

"• Ex-Gophers two-guard Joe Coleman is said to have interest from Oregon and Boston College, among others. Possibly Baylor too. Iowa State could also be in the mix, but one source said they're currently too guard-heavy.

• In spite of the public stance, Gophers sources insist they're ok with Coleman's decision to leave, and that he doesn't fit into Pitino's three-guard system and lacks the toughness and shooting touch that Pitino badly covets."

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...rry_Kill_still_on_Teague_Gophers_agenda051613

Boston college would be an interesting development.

Older brother Dan leaves Boston College to play at MN, then little brother could leave MN for Boston College?

Joe Coleman is a power forward stuck in a 6'2 body. His guard skills are shockingly poor.

Pitino isn't going to be able to push Wisconsin.

Everything's relative, I agree that Pitino is not going to be able to turn the game into a game where both teams score in the 80s, but I think he will be able to make it a faster paced game. Of course, if KSB was talking about our home game against Wisconsin, I would be perfectly alright with another slow overtime win.

Joe Coleman is a power forward stuck in a 6'2 body. His guard skills are shockingly poor.

I have to assume his lack of outside shooting skills would have diminished his playing time under Pitino, Pitino seems to desires two things, the ability to get up and down the floor and shoot from the outside, Joe is great in the open court but marginal shooting from outside of about 12 feet.

I agree with most of this, Madtown. The fact that we had both Joe and Rodney as players who we needed to step up and take it to the hole come critical game junctures, while they instead usually disappeared during those times is a big reason for the Gophers' problems the past two years.

I personally like Joe's game, and am sad to see him go. But, perhaps part of his passiveness was that his heart wasn't into it, just like Tubby. I do think that the loss of Joe pretty much ends the Gophers chances at both a run at the B1G title (which would have been a long shot anyway) and a shot at the NCAAs, but I hope I'm way off on both :)

I agree with most of this, Madtown. The fact that we had both Joe and Rodney as players who we needed to step up and take it to the hole come critical game junctures, while they instead usually disappeared during those times is a big reason for the Gophers' problems the past two years.

I personally like Joe's game, and am sad to see him go. But, perhaps part of his passiveness was that his heart wasn't into it, just like Tubby. I do think that the loss of Joe pretty much ends the Gophers chances at both a run at the B1G title (which would have been a long shot anyway) and a shot at the NCAAs, but I hope I'm way off on both :)

First prediction is a given, second prediction is an uneducated guess.

Fair enough - who do you believe we have that can and will drive to the basket with effectiveness in those important situations?

Losing Joe isn't going to keep us from having a chance at making the tourney. If we lost either Hollins that would be a huge blow. Getting Smith, completely mitigated the loss of Joe. Smith already knows the system, and gives us another jump shooter, which I think is more important, than what Joe brings to the table. Anyone can finish in transition, we needed another guard who can shoot, and we got him.

Fair enough - who do you believe we have that can and will drive to the basket with effectiveness in those important situations?

Two damn good guards named Hollins. A couple of big guys named Walker and Eliason. A red shirt freshman named Buggs. Somewhat of a bench. Some new kids coming in (that no one really knows what they can do.) A coach and staff that know a hell of a lot more than you, me, and everyone else on GopherHole.

So, I will be honest...I do not believe we have a chance at a Big Ten Title, but I do believe we have a chance at the Dance. AND, I will root and cheer until the bitter end.

Two damn good guards named Hollins. A couple of big guys named Walker and Eliason. A red shirt freshman named Buggs. Somewhat of a bench. Some new kids coming in (that no one really knows what they can do.) A coach and staff that know a hell of a lot more than you, me, and everyone else on GopherHole.

So, I will be honest...I do not believe we have a chance at a Big Ten Title, but I do believe we have a chance at the Dance. AND, I will root and cheer until the bitter end.

Doc, my message topic was on the ability to drive to the hole in important situations. Dre can drive, but as we saw last year, appears to have a decreasing desire to do so. Austin is a fine player but has not shown in 3 years an ability to drive; usually a turnover is the result.

The new players are all guesses; do you know of any of them who can fill that role? I am mostly unfamiliar with their abilities.

Doc, my message topic was on the ability to drive to the hole in important situations. Dre can drive, but as we saw last year, appears to have a decreasing desire to do so. Austin is a fine player but has not shown in 3 years an ability to drive; usually a turnover is the result.

The new players are all guesses; do you know of any of them who can fill that role? I am mostly unfamiliar with their abilities.

Joe Coleman was easily the most over-rated player on GopherHole.

Joe Coleman was easily the most over-rated player on GopherHole.

Agree station. Players of Joe's stature are all over the nation. The key is..............HEART. I don't think Joe had it.

Coleman didn't do it, so what exactly are we losing?

I'm working off one minute hilites but it appears both Mathieu and McNeil attack the basket and finish with the ability to score, to dish or kick to the open teammate. That is their strength. Smith shot 3's in the less than a minute that I saw but somebody mentioned he gets to the free throw line frequently so he must also attack the basket. I believe Smith does both. Avg 14ppg last year at FIU. The question of whether they are the type to do so successfully in crunch time won't be answered until likely January.

Agree station. Players of Joe's stature are all over the nation. The key is..............HEART. I don't think Joe had it.

That's a little harsh. He was a power forward stuck in a 2-guard's body. He has no guard skills. Why don't you think he has heart?

That's a little harsh. He was a power forward stuck in a 2-guard's body. He has no guard skills. Why don't you think he has heart?

If one has heart, in the game of basketball one over achieves, not under achieves to the level of inconsistency that both Joe and Rodney did. Period.

One can win with overachievers (Louisville after their devastating injuy) or lose out with underachievers (KY ousted first round NIT)

BTW, Joe did not have two guard abilities on offense, but sometimes something else has to come into play.

If one has heart, in the game of basketball one over achieves, not under achieves to the level of inconsistency that both Joe and Rodney did. Period.

One can win with overachievers (Louisville after their devastating injuy) or lose out with underachievers (KY ousted first round NIT)

Hosea Crittenden had heart.

Attachments

• image-1638702149.jpg
    image-1638702149.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 12

Top Bottom