This is Lunacy

This is the system they are working, not the one that taught them.
Correct. People take advantage of systems every single day. It's hard to find success, so people will jump at the chance to get ahead above all else. The kids are no different than most adults in corporate America.

I know it's been talked about here before but I think the reason the NFL doesn't have more parity is because of how impactful a QB is. There's no position in MLB (or just about any other team sport) that influences games more than a QB does. So you're going to see repeat championships when a team has a QB like Brady or Mahomes.
Very true. Also in the MLB if you're not in (roughly) the top ten in payroll you won't win the world series. It's been 20 years since a team with bottom half payroll has won the WS. So if your team can't (for whatever reason) be in the top 10 of payroll you have almost zero chance of winning the WS.

Very true. Also in the MLB if you're not in (roughly) the top ten in payroll you won't win the world series. It's been 20 years since a team with bottom half payroll has won the WS. So if your team can't (for whatever reason) be in the top 10 of payroll you have almost zero chance of winning the WS.
The Astros were 17th actually in 2017. Tampa made in to the WS with one of the lowest payrolls. Top half certainly gives you a much greater chance though.

The Astros were 17th actually in 2017. Tampa made in to the WS with one of the lowest payrolls. Top half certainly gives you a much greater chance though.
List I saw had them at 12th in 2017.

List I saw had them at 12th in 2017.
This says 17th? I’m not sure. The teams in the middle are usually pretty close to each other.

This says 17th? I’m not sure. The teams in the middle are usually pretty close to each other.
Maybe opening day vs end of season?

This is why the city of St. Petersburg wants to rename the team to the St. Pete Rays as part of the new stadium's public funding.

It all depends on how parity is measured. By financial parity, MLB is obscene with only a very loose cap and a few big market teams spending many multiples of others. Last year you could have spent over a billion dollars on baseball players across 4 teams and gotten a losing record to show for it, while Baltimore and St Pete spent less put together than the Twins to get 200 wins.

The 4 clear best teams in 2023 MLB got wiped out immediately in the postseason and the last qualifiers ran to the World Series. Baseball is super random like that. The best team doesn't always (or even often) win the championship. The parity comes from the nature of the sport.

NFL has ton of competitive balance, more than any other major league in the world. A hard cap. A spending floor. Heavy revenue sharing. A draft system. It's very rare in the NFL for a player or coach to switch teams for market size. But if a team can get a great QB and a few other guys, it's easier to make a dynasty in football because it's less random as a sport.

Football has more institutional parity, but baseball is too weird to have the same champion every year

the road to Hades is paved with good intentions.

for years, coaches could jump from one team to another with no penalty. so players were allowed to transfer........and then things got out of hand.

for years, schools profited from players' efforts while players received nothing - at least not officially.
So players were allowed to market their Name, Image and Likeness.....and then things got out of hand.

transfers with immediate eligibility was IMHO a good idea. the original intent of NIL was a good idea. but the combination of free transfers + 'pay for play' NIL has produced a toxic reaction.

so - either the NCAA needs to come up with new rules, or Congress needs to pass national legislation.

Top Bottom