This is Lunacy

He literally promised on day one there would be up sand downs along the way. Saying he promised we would never have a down year is complete BS
Agree! We'll see if the program can respond the way we expect after a down year or if this is a trend. Hoping it's the former!

Had an opportunity to win the Big West, College Game Day, a potential trip to the Rose Bowl. There was a window of opportunity and they didn't get it done. Then, promised the program would never go back down. 2023 was definitely a step down and the program appears to be headed into a ton of unknowns with the new Big Ten.
Lol. Beat Auburn at full strength while we had players sitting. Auburn lost 23-20 to LSU. Won Axe and Pig. Go find a better coach and you won’t for this program.

Somehow, some way and someone has to right the ship of college football. Transfer portal has little to no rules, NIL is a joke, players commit/de-commit, and realignment. The B1G 10, a midwest conference is shore to shore and border to border. The NCAA is basically silent. Any wonder why PJ doesn't seem like himself. Uffda!!
You nailed it. This kind of chaos in any human activity cries for reform. Anarchy is a swing of the pendulum too far in one direction - and it will have to come back the other way, as it always does - the trick being not going too far in the other direction, as in politics.

Next up the grievances list: Who's to say that college athletes should be forced to to attend classes and get passing grades? Why are the limited to four years?

Had an opportunity to win the Big West, College Game Day, a potential trip to the Rose Bowl. There was a window of opportunity and they didn't get it done. Then, promised the program would never go back down. 2023 was definitely a step down and the program appears to be headed into a ton of unknowns with the new Big Ten.
So it's Fleck's fault that everything was shut down for Covid immediately after our 11-2 season?

The NFL is the best sports product in the world. Plain and simple.

Because they have it exactly figured out: parity = fairness = fair, even access to talent = success.

College football is exactly opposite
Except that 75% of the game is how good your quarterback is.

And rigged officiating. With game-changing personal-fouls whenever you hit the QB.

I'd go back to a lopsided leather football...instead of these titanium darts. I'd like a balance of running, passing...and defense - even if the other team has a good QB.

Next up the grievances list: Who's to say that college athletes should be forced to to attend classes and get passing grades? Why are the limited to four years?
I'd suit-up Vikings players for the Gophers. It's not illegal...let someone take us to court about it...after we have the National Championship.

The "student" part of student athlete is already falling by the wayside in college football and basketball. As sad as it is we may not be all that far from the point where athletes in those sports are no longer required to mess with the whole school part of things.

Maybe this will help a few people back away from the edge of the building here:

The NFL is the best sports product in the world. Plain and simple.

Because they have it exactly figured out: parity = fairness = fair, even access to talent = success.

College football is exactly opposite
The NHL has had quite a bit more parity than the NFL and doesn't even sniff the NFL's level of popularity. MLB has as much parity as NFL and isn't as popular. There's way more to it than that.

The NHL has had quite a bit more parity than the NFL and doesn't even sniff the NFL's level of popularity. MLB has as much parity as NFL and isn't as popular. There's way more to it than that.
There is more too it but the formula the NFL has is absolutely the best for all markets and is a huge contributor to it's popularity. The NHL will never be as popular as the NFL due to the nature of the sport and it's heavy regional support. MLB has as much parity as NFL? I'm hoping this is sarcasm. It's dead last for parity.

College football WILL suffer overall if somebody does not correct the trainwreck about to happen. The college players have more power than NFL players who have to sign contracts. There is also no salary cap for NIL compared to NFL.

I am honestly shocked that this is not a bigger headline than it currently given the popularity of CFB. But it could have to do with the fact that the largest fan bases are the ones most benefitting from this current system.

There is more too it but the formula the NFL has is absolutely the best for all markets and is a huge contributor to it's popularity. The NHL will never be as popular as the NFL due to the nature of the sport and it's heavy regional support. MLB has as much parity as NFL? I'm hoping this is sarcasm. It's dead last for parity.

College football WILL suffer overall if somebody does not correct the trainwreck about to happen. The college players have more power than NFL players who have to sign contracts. There is also no salary cap for NIL compared to NFL.

I am honestly shocked that this is not a bigger headline than it currently given the popularity of CFB. But it could have to do with the fact that the largest fan bases are the ones most benefitting from this current system.
Yes the MLB has had more unique champions than NFL and NBA.

The "student" part of student athlete is already falling by the wayside in college football and basketball. As sad as it is we may not be all that far from the point where athletes in those sports are no longer required to mess with the whole school part of things.
Do we have data on this? I'm seeing kids graduate HS early, graduate college early, and taking advantage of the system where they can transfer and have experience that athletes 10, 20, 30 years ago couldn't have.

People stay in jobs for shorter periods of time and move around gaining more knowledge and experiences.

I don't see the education part of it being the problem. The problem is the $$$ and athletic competitiveness. How are rails put in place for revenue sharing and schools controlling all NIL and $$$?

9 different champions in the last 10 years and 14 different teams playing in the WS. For the NFL it's 7 and 11.

MLB definitely has more parity.
Thanks for the detail. I would love for this myth to die but I don't think that's happening.

Thanks for the detail. I would love for this myth to die but I don't think that's happening.
I know it's been talked about here before but I think the reason the NFL doesn't have more parity is because of how impactful a QB is. There's no position in MLB (or just about any other team sport) that influences games more than a QB does. So you're going to see repeat championships when a team has a QB like Brady or Mahomes.

Somehow, some way and someone has to right the ship of college football. Transfer portal has little to no rules, NIL is a joke, players commit/de-commit, and realignment. The B1G 10, a midwest conference is shore to shore and border to border. The NCAA is basically silent. Any wonder why PJ doesn't seem like himself. Uffda!!
Yeah, there haven't been a million other discussions here on this topic...

These kids have no integrity. I don’t care if they are just kids. There’s no other way to put it. This system is teaching them that there commitment means nothing.
Oh no, god forbid!

They haven't had to for years. Basically, what Clem was busted for years ago has been going on at Universities forever. This is why there are haves and have nots. For some reason the NCAA decided some winners and loser and now NIL and here we are.

All I know is this NIL stuff sure makes these kids words mean nothing. "Committed", doesn't mean a thing at the D1 Power 5 level. The rest of college sports isn't hurt by NIL, but this level it has basically turned into free agency.

Not sure how you fix it, but I would start with binding contracts between Universities and kids with money attached. You "commit" here, that means you sign the dotted line and will be here for 1-2 or whatever years your "contract" states. That, or go back to the tranfer having to sit out one-year again. This would nip alot of it in the bud real fast.

They haven't had to for years. Basically, what Clem was busted for years ago has been going on at Universities forever. This is why there are haves and have nots. For some reason the NCAA decided some winners and loser and now NIL and here we are.
I've said many times, in most major college towns, that would have been swept under the rug, and it should have been here.

Top Bottom